Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Default Depression and indulging

Unfortunately, when things get rocky or circumstances really go to h*** (like they've done with me this week), I just don't care what I eat anymore. So I'll eat whatever I feel like. When things in my mind are so bad that life turns gray and bleak, I'll just eat whatever. I won't totally go bananas and bring home a cartload of ice cream and fish sticks, but as far as indulging in things I normally would avoid throughout the day, no problem. In the last few days I've had burritos, cheesecake, Milky Way candy bars, cinnamon rolls, and more candy bars. I guess close to 3K thousand calories a day.

Today, though, my blue funk has turned the other way, and I've had nothing. I may wait and eat tomorrow and see how things go. A couple of days fast may be good for me and clear my head.

On a WAY side note, during this time my wife had a doctor's appointment this week, and she mentioned that she liked the visit except for her step on the scales (she's 50-75 lbs. overweight). But I noticed that it didn't bother her enough to lay off the waffles and cheesecake that I brought home yesterday (she eats this stuff all the time). When she noticed the dessert I brought in, she asked if I would not buy it - she's trying to do better (whatever that means) - but if I mention anything remotely resembling criticism about her munching on cookies or ice cream, I get my head bitten off. I want to applaud her for wanting to do better, but I throw my hands up when she has no hesitation at eating whatever, whenever. I don't know why she said anything to me about the cheesecake; it's not like she doesn't go out and buy it herself. She just refilled her giant stash of chocolate in the cupboard two days ago. I think when she gets it, it's ok, but when I bring it in, it's somehow enabling her in her mind. I dunno - it's as good a theory as any.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #2  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

I range from eating nothing to eating nearly everything when I'm depressed. When I feel like binging, I try to remind myself that food won't make it better for more than about a minute, and after, I'll just feel worse because not only do I have this other stuff going on in my life, but now I'm screwing up my weight loss progress, too. When I don't feel like eating, I just have to suck it up and force myself. I count calories to make sure I had enough.

As for your wife - a lot of people are wishy-washy before making the commitment to lose weight. You may have been that way once, too. It's a stage where you say you'll do better, but you half-a$$ it. She probably dislikes your criticism because it makes her feel guilty. She knows she wants to lose weight and that she's unhappy with what she currently weighs, but she hasn't quite found the motivation to do it yet, and meanwhile, she feels as though you are reminding her of her continuous 'failure'.

I say, just let it be. If you're trying not to eat those things, either, then not buying it serves you well while placating her feelings. Hopefully your good decisions will inspire her, and she'll see that SHE is the only one doing this to herself.
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/205/140

Height: 5'4

I understand the depression emotional eating thing. It takes our mind off our troubles for sure but then adds other troubles, the next day.

As for you wife all I can say is I am sorry we are female and slightly insane, I do ask my hubby to not bring certain food in the house like toffee or keep a full candy jar on the fridge, but then sometimes i buy it myself. All I can say is when I am having a good on plan food day I dont wanna see any brownies as they could potentioally send me into a all out binge. today is good good food day and I ate two hershy kisses, other days I could eat the whole bag. And as women we dont want to hear our husbands say anything to us cause we already know we are fat and feel bad about that and it actually hurts us to know our husbands feel that way, even though we know to hear it makes it fresh pain, depression then more eating.
Ashley777 is offline   Reply With Quote