Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #16  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I'm at the other end of the spectrum... i used to not drink at all (or very litter very seldom) but since I've been trying to get healthier I've been trying to remember to have a small (4oz) glass of red wine every night while I'm making dinner. It's supposed to be good for your heart and it's only 90 calories. But it's something I have to think about doing, like taking my vitamins.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:20 AM   #17  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I don't drink frequently (maybe once per month) and I don't drink at home unless we are entertaining guests, but when I do consume alcohol it's almost always more than one drink. If I start drinking, I like to keep drinking, and one glass of wine can easily become four. However, I don't seem to be one who feels the need to munch after drinking, so it's only the calories from the alcohol itself that is a problem for me.

I've had alcohol 3 times since beginning my weight loss efforts in January. Once while out to dinner with my husband for Valentine's day (2 glasses of wine) and twice in the same week while away at a conference (4-5 glasses of wine each night). I knew I was going to be drinking on those occasions, and so planned ahead for the calories. Obviously that means I ate much too little on the days I was drinking at the conference, but again - I planned for it, ate as well as I could on the other days, and still got my water and my workouts in.

The infrequent alcohol doesn't seem to affect my weight loss or my ability to stay on plan, and so I don't really plan to make any changes to how I handle alcohol. Surely it would be wise to cut back on the volume of alcohol I consume when I travel to conferences (for general health reasons), but given that I only do that two or three times each year... I'm not terribly concerned.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:56 AM   #18  

hi guys,,,
There are many alcohol companies that are currently providing the low carb alcohol in the market.In general the alcohol is has been criticized a lot as a big hindrance in weight loss.
Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:10 AM   #19  
New start 24/10/10

Height: 5'8

I recently eliminated alcohol *sigh* didn't think I would ever do that. It messes with my loss big time.
supergir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:47 AM   #20  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

I was never a "go big or go home" kind of drinker but I did eliminate it from my diet entirely. Not because I couldn't have one or two here and there, count the calories, and move on with my life but because even just one beer lowers my inhibitions when it comes to food. I make bad decisions. Instead of waking up next to some strange guy, I'd wake up to an empty package of double stuffed oreo's and think, "Who are you and what are you doing in my bed?".
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #21  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I quit totally. Matter of fact I just had my 3 year no drinking anniversary, (as well as no smoking and healthy diet).

I was a heavy drinker. Drinking made me want to smoke, drinking made me want to eat. I consumed many calories drinking, and many calories nursing hangovers.

Over the years it became obvious to me that my life had no place for alcohol. I have lost weight MANY times in the past, and every single time I decided it was time to add alcohol back into my life, the weight came back on with a vengeance. I'm done. I feel so much better. It is awesome to never have a hangover, and I have saved a butt load of money not buying it. Enough for a closet full of beautiful new clothes that I haven' ruined in a alcohol related stupor.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 03-16-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #22  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Alcohol doesn't affect my loss at all. Of course, I don't drink large amounts. I can have 1-2 beers or a glass or two of wine in the evenings and it has no effect on my weight. It's all within my calorie allotment and I make sure to cut the carbs back at dinner so I don't overload on carbs.

Last edited by 4star; 03-16-2011 at 08:53 AM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #23  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanIAm View Post
I was never a "go big or go home" kind of drinker but I did eliminate it from my diet entirely. Not because I couldn't have one or two here and there, count the calories, and move on with my life but because even just one beer lowers my inhibitions when it comes to food. I make bad decisions. Instead of waking up next to some strange guy, I'd wake up to an empty package of double stuffed oreo's and think, "Who are you and what are you doing in my bed?".
OH that made me chuckle!
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:13 AM   #24  

Height: 4'11"

lol@ ShanIAM. Your post made me laugh!!!
ravensglen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #25  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope4balance View Post
Hi All,

This is something that I have been wrestling with lately... I tend to have an addictive personality. Food isn't the only thing that I tend to go overboard with... If I try on a shirt I like, I buy one in every color. If I like a TV show, I want to watch every single episode. I can't just run for 30 minutes a few times a week, I need to be training for something big (like a 1/2 marathon). I am a workaholic. I love hard. In many ways, I am a "go big or go home" kind of person.

And, in the past, this has included some binge drinking. I partied a lot in college... Nothing dangerous or problematic, really. I haven't had any alcohol related consequences in my life, and I have become much more moderate in my drinking as a whole over the past several years. But, from time to time, I like to drink more than a glass or two of wine.

I've noticed that when I get derailed from my weight loss or eating plan, it usually involves alcohol in some way. Generally, this means just drinking more than I plan to... But, at times, this also means that I eat much more after I have been drinking. Or I feel hungover and I eat greasy or sugary foods the next day while I am nursing my hangover.

I'm beginning to wonder if I have to stop drinking in order to stay on track... That kinda bums me out, because wine is a big part of my social scene. Many of my friends are into wine parties, wine tasting, and pairings. Of course, I can drink in moderation, but I can't seem to do that very well..

Can anyone relate to this struggle? Have you noticed needing to make some changes in your consumption of alcohol as you try to lose weight? Has that been hard? Easy? What has been your experience?
I haven't read through the responses, but wanted to respond quick because I am just like you! Except I don't drink. LOL! My dear sweet brother, whom I adore, is a severe, severe alcoholic and has been since about 16, maybe earlier. He went through rehab when he was 17 and I was 15. I had to go to group sessions with him and it was terrible. One of the counselors told me way back then that I have the personality of an alcoholic and I have been terrified of the stuff ever since. So yep, I do have that addictive personality. I get obsessed with things! I get obsessed with weight loss, watching all episodes of a show (see, me too), finances, house keeping, etc. All of it is all or nothing and it comes in cycles.

For me, I think the best decision I probably ever made was to not drink, practically ever. I'll have a mixed drink about once every year or even two. I have tasted it. But that's about it.

My brother self-medicates with the stuff and drinks two bottles of hard liquor a day. Prior to that he'd drink 16 beers and never feel it. He's not a mean or bad drunk. He's actually normal when he drinks. But it's killing him. His last bout made him literally turn green.

Last edited by Eliana; 03-16-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #26  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

I used to drink either a white russian or a glass of wine almost every other night of the week before I started counting calories in January. Prior to counting calories I would *try* to watch what I was eating, exercise quite often, and drink my alcohol. For about a year, I maintained at 200 and I was ok with it, but decided to start counting calories to finish the rest of my weight loss journey.

For me, alcohol just doesn't fit into my calorie intake for the day. Sure, I'll still have the occasional white russian (just had one on Saturday), but I'll make it fit into my calories for the day. I have a drink maybe twice a month, but it has never stopped my weight loss. I will say, however, that I had a major drinking night a few weekends ago when my sister-in-law was visiting from Florida, and it messed my body up bad. I just don't think it is worth it.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #27  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I haven't read through the replies, I might go back and read the discussion, but....

I'm like you with the go big or go home attitude. Especially towards drinking. I don't drink hardly at all, it's just a rare thing for me. BUT, when I do have any alcohol, I'm going to drink with a purpose. Using 100 cal for a light beer or a glass of wine or something just isn't worth it to me, I'd rather eat those calories than drink them. But some days, it's just worth it to go way over m calories for the day and drink with everyone and have fun (aka, drink to get drunk, lol). Not stupid sick drunk, but if I'm going to spend those calories, I want to live it up, lol.

That said, I don't drink enough for it to really be much of a hinderance on my weight loss/maintenance. I have a much bigger problem with binge eating than binge drinking. I'm able to enjoy drinking as very rare indulgent treats, and I'm perfectly capable of going to a party with lots of alcohol and not having a sip. I have a MUCH harder time enjoying indulgent eating as rare treats. If I go to a party with a snack table or anything of the sort, it's all I can do to keep myself from eating everything within my reach.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 241/239/130

Height: 5'0"

I have to be careful with alcohol because I always want something bad to snack on while I drink it!

In general, I have to give up beer (especially nice, craft beer) to lose weight. That's kind of a given. However, I'll be drinking one serving of wine per night most nights, since it does have some cardiovascular benefits. As long as it's one serving and I'm done, I don't think it will effect my weight loss (has not in the past). But for some reason, if I have beer, I automatically think I'm cheating (even if it's a super low-cal beer) and then it triggers the desire to binge on food.

Thanks for raising this topic. Reminds me to stay aware with drinking, since it leads to me eating poorly
laueliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #29  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanIAm View Post
I once woke up in a strangers house lovingly cradling a bucket of KFC. In my defense; it was the 80's and Vodka Paralyzers were in fashion. I stay away from both of those things nowadays.
On that note: I have given up the wine on weekdays and allow myself a few glasses on the weekend. It's been lovely and much easier to stick to some sort of healthy eating. As well as keeping to some semblance of activity.
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 250/186.3/not sure yet

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensglen3 View Post
lol@ ShanIAM. Your post made me laugh!!!
Yes, it made me chuckle -- and think "me, too!"
hope4balance is offline   Reply With Quote