Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Default Anyone else keep their weight loss a secret?

I mean obviously people will begin to notice eventually but does anyone else not tell their family or friends that they are working out and trying to lose weight?

I know that I should tell my family and friends so that they can support me but I feel like if I tell them and slip up they will judge me (especially my mom). Also in the past when I have told people they were trying to be supportive but ended up making me feel worse because it felt like they were bashing how I look now.
Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

Honestly? That's a great idea! I mean it let's you prove them wrong! With put them knowing it
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/172.8/145

Height: 5'2

My mother and one friend knows that is it. I have told my co workers in the past but this time I am not. I don't need them always looking at what I bring to lunch and make comments. Plus when not if but when I look like I have lost weight I want to know the comments are for real not since they know I am trying they instantly think they need to say it.
DisgruntledOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #4  
Diet and Exercise!

S/C/G: 185/165/135

Height: 5'3"

I haven't told anyone that I'm trying to lose weight. Frankly, I find it embarrassing to talk about, even though I've looked this way for quite some time. My parents tried to compliment me on my progress and it was incredibly awkward.

I don't make my exercise habits a secret, and the people I eat with at work know that I eat ridiculously healthfully. I don't want people to know just how much of an obsession it is, though!
fatmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 174/170/125

A few of my friends know I'm working out more, but I don't think I've told anyone about my diet changes. I feel like every time I start informing people that I'm eating differently, I end up having jumped the gun. Maybe when I've lost five or ten pounds, I'll start being upfront :P Growing up, we never really talked about weight issues, since both my parents have them on opposite extremes (too skinny father, too fat mother). It's hard for me to wrap my head around weight loss as a topic of polite conversation.
Eurydice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/165/130

Height: 5'6''

I don't really care who knows I'm dieting; it's exercise that I've been reluctant to talk about. A few days ago I came across a set of resistance bands I purchased a year or so back and then promptly forgot about. I put the DVD in my drive and tried to follow the routine, and felt like such an idiot jumping around... I wasn't any good at that sort of thing when I was forced to do it in high school, and I'm still not.
llkilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/142/130

i told my family, hard to hide this from them. My close circle of friends too since we spend lots of time together, difficult during a supper at one's house, no to the wine, no to her risotto with one pound of butter, no to the fried entrées, no to desert, no to digestif, they told me I was no fun and kept insisting, had to tell so they would leave me alone.

I do not care if people are taking bets about my future failure but at least now they know that insisting to get me out of this will not work and what choices I make is none of their business even if I care a lot about them.
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/120

I glad to know I am not the only one not telling people. I was almost feeling guilty because when my boyfriend ask me about my day I just leave out the part where I went to the gym and exercised I almost feel like I am lying.
Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HWK256/SW247/239/150

Height: 5'5"

I am selective, I tell people who I feel will genuinely support me and not sabotage my efforts, been there, done that. I don't however hide my food or my exercise. I won't go out of my way to talk about it, but if someone asks me what i'm up to and i'm at the gym i'll tell them. They don't have to know that I am on a diet, because to them the word "diet" implies something different than what I am trying to achieve. Ya know?
dancinginpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #10  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I still haven't outright told anyone I'm trying to lose weight, other than if they go, "Wow, you look great! Wait, you're trying to lose weight, right?" or something equally awkward. Lol!

But I said nothing until I was literally cornered and commanded to share how much weight I'd lost (I lied). Then it was just as people noticed.

For me, I was more motivated when people didn't know. I have no idea why, but it worked wonders for me.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HWK256/SW247/239/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiannaKole View Post
I still haven't outright told anyone I'm trying to lose weight, other than if they go, "Wow, you look great! Wait, you're trying to lose weight, right?" or something equally awkward. Lol!

But I said nothing until I was literally cornered and commanded to share how much weight I'd lost (I lied). Then it was just as people noticed.

For me, I was more motivated when people didn't know. I have no idea why, but it worked wonders for me.
From your ticker it looks like you have done a great job! The part about people forcing you to divulge your numbers? So. Not. Cool.
dancinginpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #12  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

I definitely don't advertise...it's part of the reason I find the support here so indispensable. I don't lie about going to the gym or hide my food choices, but I don't ever volunteer the information or feel the need to explain. If people actually notice and comment on either, I might say things like "just trying to eat more veggies," or some other benign and boring response and move on. Personally, too many of the people I'm around talk about their diets or food choices, working out, resolutions, etc all the time...I figure, if I don't want to hear it from them, why volunteer the information myself? Plus, it's just a really private thing for me, and I'd rather avoid giving them an opening to spew their opinions.
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

I am not hiding it, I actually like to tell people I know b/c I feel it holds me accountable to see it through. I do have a friend who has talked about doing P90X but never discussed her weight up until recently. Of course, she didn't talk actual numbers, just vague statements like she's lost a couple of dress sizes and such. And I don't blame her, I don't like to talk actual numbers either. I will say how much I've lost but not my weight except on
3FC. Well, someone has apparently cornered her to divulge before and after pics, and she's not even finished yet!!! I dunno, maybe I am just sensitive and trying to put myself in her shoes, but that just bothers me. It's none of their d&*# concern what she looked like before, just that she's doing something about it. In fact, come to think of it her pics are posted AAAAALLL over her profile page, WAY old pics. The question of pics did not come across as 'hey, give us some motivation' or anything like that like you would see HERE, it was more like hey, exploit fat people and publicly shame yourself, possibly in some type of clothing that reveals skin. Like I said, it just bothered me and I would never ask a friend to do that.

Last edited by Niecy; 01-20-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I have just reached goal.

I keep it a secret unless people make a comment about how I can eat chips/cake whatever because "I'm so slim already" ~ erm thanks. That's how I got into that mess in the first place! Otherwise, I keep my mouth shut.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 236 / T(176*) / 145

Height: 5' 5

Yes, I definitely started out the same way. I'm down about 30 now, although only one person (boyfriend of sorts) has noticed on his own. But him noticing and commenting made it easier for me to tell some of my other friends as well. I haven't said anything to two of my closest friends here yet, but even if they haven't noticed the physical changes so far I think they'll realize when we go on a road trip next week and I have to abstain from some of the delicious foods we will eat. Well. Only some.

Working out was equally difficult or more so for me to admit. I will tell people I'm at the gym if they ask, but since I've had chronic knee injuries the last couple years, a lot of times I'll say or imply that I'm there to do physical therapy. Well, that's also true. But not the whole story.

I think as more weight comes off and I am feeling more comfortable about my progress and my habits, it will be easier to tell people. But for most, yeah. I'm still going to not say anything unless they do. I've got everyone on here to come squee to if I have an awesome NSV or am getting so so so so close to below 200 I am getting super antsy. As others have said, that's why this site is so cool.
kaebaka is offline   Reply With Quote