Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #1  
Token Male

S/C/G: 11 out of 20 pounds lost

Height: 5'11"

Default I lost 120 pounds and gained back 100. NEVER again.

First and foremost, I wanted to THANK each and every one of you who posts in these forums for the inspiration, motivation, and sense of belonging that you all have made me feel.

Now, I wanted to share my story... hopefully I'll be able to make it quick. I was once at 402 pounds, and I got down to 280 in about 10 months. Then, I got sick with the flu. I couldn't keep down food or even water for two weeks. I "realized" how much food meant to me, and I ate all I could once I was able to. I knew even then that I ate like that because I was terrified of not getting the chance to eat again. Food became an addiction, rather than a necessity. It didn't take long at all to get back up to 350. After realizing what I'd done, I completely gave up on myself, and I gained 30 more pounds.

I finally woke up last Friday. I realized that I keep going through these ups and downs with wanting to lose weight and then just NOT even trying and feeling sorry for myself instead. My thyroid is now more controlled, so losing weight is no longer impossible. I STOPPED eating out of boredom. I STOPPED letting myself overeat.

On Friday, October 22nd, I weighed 380 pounds. Again. Since then, I've lost about ten pounds... I'm tracking what and how much I eat, but I'm not saying that I can ONLY eat a certain amount. My range is between 1200 and 2000 calories. I try to stay between 1500 and 1800, but if I have a 1200 calorie day today, there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to have a 1900 calorie day tomorrow (as long as I get some exercise in!). Wish me luck.

This is the same plan I followed when I lost weight the first time, with one difference - my reasons for this weight loss is more than vanity. I just lost a cousin who died at 36 of a heart attack. THAT WILL NOT BE ME. I also want to start a family with my new wife, and I want to have the energy to run around with my kids. I also want to be healthy and live a long life with my wife. I didn't value life the way I do now, the first time I did this. I hope this difference is what makes this weight loss STICK.

Thanks for reading. Hopefully you'll keep from making the same mistake that I made last time.
xDxxTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #2  
It is what it is...

Good Luck !! If you did it once you can do it again ...sounds like you are back in the right mind frame to do this !!!!
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 326/274/190

Height: 5'6"

You sound like you have a really solid plan in place, and you know you can lose since you have done it before. The important thing is you are doing it again - so many people would have gave up. I had a "mini give up" and gained 15 lbs in a couple weeks - I know just how fast it comes back on....I could be over 300 again in no time. I like your plan with the calories too - I basically just make sure I average out to 1,700 a day at the end of the week.... I have a pizza night....weight loss is not living without the food we like, its about learning to live WITH it. We have to decide what foods are "worth it". I used to eat tons of Doritos...if I never ate one again thats fine...but I'm never giving up pizza! For me telling myself I could never have something would set me off - but I can tell myself I'm not having it NOW. Then when I think of it again my craving has usually moved on to something else. Its a constant process - sometimes I feel like I'm a dog, if I'm not eating food I'm thinking about eating food or planning to eat food.
I may sound like I'm up here on a soapbox but I'm not - living with food is how I'd ultimately like to be, but I am nowhere close yet. This is all a whole big learning process and we will succeed by learning what works for us along the way. I think you are doing so wonderful already - you can do this!!!!
odonnela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #4  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

We started at similar weights and I'm also one of the few males here. Welcome to 3FCs! My story is similar too. In 2003, shortly after joining here, I lost over 150 pounsd and got down to around 280. Then, I got back into old habits and the gradual slide began. I stopped weighing in, stopped checking 3FCs, started back in the bars, etc. etc. By the fall of 2007 I had not only gained back what I lost, but added some more for good measure.

Since then, it has been a slow process with several ups and downs. I know that as long as I do two things 1) check into this website no matter what, and 2 weigh in consistently, that I will not slide back again.

I'm really looking forward to reading about your progress!
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #5  
It is what it is...

Me too...I lost 30 pds this summer and have now gained 15 of them back...just got back on plan this past Saturday...my one food I cannot live without is pizza as well...but I need to learn to give myself permission to have it once in a while...I tend to freak out if I have something I feel is on the "cheat" list and then that sends me into a binge spiral ...so I need to learn as you do ODonnela and give myself permission to have it because life without pizza isnt worth living haha
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Your plan sounds great, I think! It sounds like you've figured out some of the "head stuff" that goes along with this task to lose weight. Sometimes I think that's half the battle.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

Good luck to you!! You're one step ahead of the game because you know what will work for you weight loss wise and you know you can do it!
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 2"

Good Luck! Def sounds like you are with out a doubt on the right track.
JennieGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:02 PM   #9  
Token Male

S/C/G: 11 out of 20 pounds lost

Height: 5'11"

Thank you all!!! I definitely need all the luck and support I can get! I will definitely stay with this website, though; it's my main source of motivation right now!
xDxxTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 184/150/130

Height: 5'2

Stay committed and you can do anything you put your mind to. Try and use your past weight-loss experience to guide you in the right direction and good luck with your weight-loss journey.
totsandfries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
I definitely need all the luck and support I can get! I will definitely stay with this website, though; it's my main source of motivation right now!
Support you've got!

Luck? You don't need it. Which is a good thing. It can't help you. You've got the ability to lose the weight all on your own and therefore you don't need to rely on luck. If it were luck that was needed to lose weight (& keep it off), that would mean that it wasn't in our hands, that it wasn't in our control. So maybe you'd get the weight off, maybe you wouldn't. Luckily (ha), we get to CHOOSE whether or not we get the weight off. It's up to us. It's within our power.

For me, that was a big realization. When I finally realized that I DID have the power over this. I had the ability to lose the weight. I was capable of it. VERY empowering.

I'm excited for you as you re-start this journey. Hang on tight and don't let go. Work past those initial moments of discomfort as you get back into the good eating habits and you let the bad ones die down. Stick to that plan of yours like glue, and you will so soon be relieved to be *back on the wagon*. It's a great place to be!

I look forward to hearing of your progress.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #12  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Hi xDxxTx (Token Male) - and on your third day of posting.

Glad to see another male joining the site. If you look around, you'll find some of us males scattered here and there.

You certainly sound like you have your eating plan in place and your motives clear. Have you chosen your exercise plan yet?

Look forward to seeing your around.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #13  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Congratulations for continuing on your good health journey; that is so important to realize -- the long-term focus for a long-term goal for a long life ... This is a great place with lots of supportive people; keep coming back, it really helps a lot ...

ROBIN ~ that's right; we are in control and we do have the power. We can CHOOSE to succeed ... so let's do it!!! You are so inspiring; thanks!
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:05 PM   #14  

S/C/G: H228/S225/C219/G150

Height: 5'6"

The best of luck to you and great job on getting back on track . Keep posting here and it will be very helpful to you. I'm one of the newbies and I can already tell that because of this message board with all the great people on it, I will be successful .

Monique
Monique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:24 AM   #15  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

Yay, another rooster! We need some more testosterone around this place! hahaha

I KNOW in my heart this weight loss I'm achieving right now is the real thing. I'm not looking back, and I do believe a lot of it is that I got myself way past the point of vanity. This is about my LIFE, wanting to be alive, wanting to LIVE it, wanting to not DIE! We have a lot to live for!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote