Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #1  
Want 2 B a Oneder Woman!

S/C/G: 280/ticker/199

Height: 5'7

Default First TOM since starting on this journey

any suggestions for dealing with this? im having the symptoms etc, bloating, tiredness and craving junk. ive been eating a lot of chocolate - but i've been counting the calories. any suggestions for things i can do to alleviate it!? thanks!
dolcevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 236/217/195

Height: 5ft4

water, water, water. That will help with the bloating. Avoid all food that is high in sodium. (that includes soda). It will only make you bloat up more. If you are craving chocolate I'd suggest hot coco, and its the right time of the year for it.

And I always take aleve for cramping, its like a miracle! But it doesn't do much for the yucky bloating feeling.
MzHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #3  
patience and perseverance

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

I second the water. Plus identify the type of craving you are having and find a healthier surrogate. I'm a salty crunchy so I go for air popped popcorn. If you are a chocolate creamy person pick up some low fat/low cal pudding cups. The individual servings can help you slow things down. Eat them as slowly as you can.. with a glass of water. Make it the best snack you have ever had and enjoy every mouthful.

You may try upping your vitamin heavy leafy greens too... I don't know why it works for me, but having those seem to help put my body back in balance.

and I'm a Midol gal,
JayLei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #4  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

Exercise or some activity. It always makes me feel more energetic afterwards.

Concur with the water!
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #5  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

Water and exercise definitely help me. And fruit, that usually hits the spot, too.
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/220/190

Height: 5 foot six

Exercise!!! It will distract you from the cramping.
damngina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

i agree w exercise, of coarse thats the last you want to do when you feel like crap but it helps. just do something w o a lot of jumping around
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I count calories- but chocolate is no longer an option for me. I have cut it out like it is the plague- and there are no substitutes so it is better to move on.

Take Midol or something. Drink water or crystal light.

When my bloating is really bad I take a Diurex.

I also don't expect to lose weight for those 4-5 days... but after I usually have a little whoosh of weight loss (might be water weight) but it counts!

Stacy
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/157/120-150

Height: 5'5"

I make sure I'm really good about what I eat - no junk and such so I don't get too hungry. I am especially vigilant to eat filling foods that are full of nutrition rather than empty calories. That way I'm less vulnerable to the cravings.

Drink lots of water. Drink, drink, drink.

And don't stop exercising. I may be a little slower during that time, but I still do it, even though sometimes I'd like to quit after just 5 minutes. Keep on keepin' on.

And know that this, too, shall pass.
pageta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #10  
Just imagine....

I guess I'm the lone freak in the group... LOL! My TOM is like most fave week. It's when my cravings are gone, and all the water and gunk is being expelled. However, my PMS week (which I"m on right now) is a KILLER! This is when I experience all the symptoms you are mentioning. I am a major sugar craver during this particular week, and I've just recently found Extra 'Dessert Delights' gum. I have found this to really help me out with the sugar cravings, BIG TIME! For water weight I also take a diuretic once during the week. I'm sure some people might think this is wrong, but if there is something I am just jonesing for, I'll eat it. I'd rather get it out of my system than obsess over it and BINGE later. I also think exercise is a MAJOR key in keeping the weight from packing on during this time. Lots of luck to you....I feel for you!

Last edited by Hot Chicka; 10-08-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Hot Chicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:15 AM   #11  
Cookie

S/C/G: 88.0/83.7/63

Height: 170cm

OH i felt terrible yesturday at all.
I don't think I was bloated but I felt like I was wearing weights in my belt (like you do when you are diving). The last thing I wanted to do was exercise, I felt like it would all gush out if I did.
Today I feel normal - thank goodness.
Cookc04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Sugar free pudding works for me. I make it in chocolate, its only 70 calories for a 1/2 serving AND i'm getting some calcium in. Healthy Choice makes awesome chocolate fudge bars too, which aren't too bad for you.

I try to walk as much as possible during my TOM, as it helps with the cramps. I'm a motrin type girl, medication wise.

I will say that my first period during my weight loss journey was really heavy and really painful. I had a lot of other circumstances surrounding it, but there is always a chance that your cycle may change as you lose weight as well.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #13  
Want 2 B a Oneder Woman!

S/C/G: 280/ticker/199

thanks for all the awesome advice! i'm finding a rhythm in all this and i'm going to succeed. you are all great.
dolcevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/165

Height: 5' 7"

I'm just going to echo some of the others. Water and exercise!! I just had mine and I was so concerned about retaining water and feeling blah, so I decided if I was going to retain it...I was going to REALLY retain it. I drank TONS of water..and I was peeing all day long. I worked out 4 days out of the 5 that it lasted and I actually LOST every day and I felt loads better, too.
ashley nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #15  
Lisa

S/C/G: 300/290/180

Height: 5 feet 3 inches

Water, exercise, and chocolate yogurt whips.
Karatemom is offline   Reply With Quote