Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #106  
patience and perseverance

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

KayNicole, I was worried about moving into week two and when I did, I was shocked to discover that it was actually easier than week one. There are fewer intervals, so to me, it seemed like less running. Try out week two, no one says you can't go back if you aren't able to finish it.

I'm only running once a week now, so I'm still on week three, but it's going well! My knees and ankles hurt like crazy at first, but they hurt much less and for shorter periods of time now!

I'm excited!
JayLei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 198/180/150ish

Height: 5'5"

Jeanie, good luck with your p90x!

Jaymar, I may just do that! Thanks for the encouragement. Yesterday after my workout I almost wanted to try week 2 right after my cool down but figured I better not push myself. But really, if I have enough energy to feel like trying another full workout then why not move on to week 2 right? lol
KayNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #108  
I am losing it!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6.1

I have been doing a modified C25K... so today I did 6 minute runs! I felt like a superhero! I need to study my food diary and keep eating what I ate yesterday OR at least the same calorie count. (small victory!)

MORE IMPORTANT! I am so happy that everyone is listening to their bodies and doing what they need to do!! I hate when I get judged "Ohhh, she only walked today..." ERRRRRR!!! I am still a big girl and my knees need to be with me for awhile! How about you?? lol So YAY for us!!

Love to you all- Audrey

Last edited by Veil; 06-09-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Veil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Height: 5'

So, I just did week 5, day 2 today. 8 min jog, 5 min walk, 8 min jog. I'll admit, it was the hardest day I've done so far. My legs did not like the last few minutes, but I pushed through and made it. Now I'm facing doing 20 minutes straight, but the blogs I was able to find are giving me courage that it won't be as bad as it seems.

While I agree with Veil about listening to your body, I also want to add that it is so rewarding to push yourself just a bit past your comfort level. Push past the fear, the self-doubt. Because when you discover that you CAN handle it, it feels amazing. Truly, I started this program thinking "we'll see how far I get." (Actually, I had no intention of starting it, but I had just started a walk and thought, well, lets see if I can do the first day.) Now, I know I can do it. It will be hard, I might not like it all the time, but I know that I can do it. That self-confidence is priceless, and I hope you all get there, too, if you're not already.

Of course, I recognize that health/injury concerns can be quite real. I'm not advocating running on genuinely bad knees or a bad back and hurting yourself. That would be self-defeating. It's a shame that such problems can get in the way.

I also wanted to add that I agree with JayMar- lesser running repetitions makes the time go faster. I actually think week 4 was my easiest week, because you only run 4 times, and none of them are too long. I mean, compared to 8, 10 and 20 min straight.
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:18 AM   #110  

Height: 6"1"

So I started week. Today I did Week 1 Day 2. Not too bad. But I have a question. I was reading back in this thread about a FAQ on another site. I went to it and the page was not found.

It was a question about what do you do when you get to the end and can run a 5k, but it still takes you 50 minutes. Once you get to the end, is there a way to improve your speed? Cause I run slow. It doesn't say how fast you should run, just the amount of time (which is easier to measure). How fast should I be running? I'm afraid if I run too fast I won't be able to last the whole interval. But I'm afraid I am running too slow.
Sockerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:29 AM   #111  
patience and perseverance

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Hey Sockerton, I just googled "improve your 5K time" and it came up with a slew of results. I'd read through the results and see what fits into your fitness plan/goals.

I'm off to soak in some epsom now to try to erase the sore my trainer inflicted on me tonight doing interval training. (3 miles walking/sprinting, 150 mountain climbers, 150 crunches, 150 push ups, 150 heel presses, 150 squats). Crazy as it seems, the guy is still one of my fave people right now.
JayLei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #112  
Roly-Poly Jock Girl

S/C/G: 342/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Glad to see everyone rocking their program! Me, I'm still plugging away. Right now, I'm repeating week 3--I definitely feel it in my shins now and am getting fitted for better quality running shoes on payday (sooo excited!). Hopefully better shoes will help the shin splints and I can tackle week 4
BluCypressLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #113  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Height: 5'

Sockerton- I hear your concern! My pace is the granny shuffle. I mean, it counts as jogging, but barely. Trust me, it's enough! And since they stress endurance over speed, I'm not worrying about it yet. But like you, I'm looking down the road.

I'd say I haven't seen one set way to go about it. Some people begin the C25K over again, but with a faster pace. I don't know if I could do that, So I'm thinking of doing something where, for a given amount of time in the 30 min, I go faster. And slowly increase that amount.

If you find any specific programs, let me know! Looks like I may have to go Google "improve your 5K time."
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #114  

Sockerton- I also granny shuffle. I had started a running program before and ended up with knee problems right away and I think it might have been because of running faster (higher impact) so I don't even bother with speed anymore. I think in general the focus is put on the time rather than the speed because everyone is different. I have a friend who walks faster than she jogs but she jogs! lol I am sure you will find some great tips to increase your speed through the google searches but don't worry... you aren't the slowest runner out there.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #115  

Veil- good job on the 6 minute run!

Gold- let us know how the 20 minute run goes! That still sounds so scary to me.

Well tonight I think I will be starting out week 2! woohoo!
Old 06-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #116  
Wandervogel

S/C/G: 241/214.5/150

Height: 5'4

I also do the granny shuffle... at 20! I have a weak ankle that I injured a few months ago and I've been repeating week one for two weeks now. But eventually we'll get there... so glad to know I'm not the only one doing the granny shuffle!
Raichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #117  
almost halfway to goal!

S/C/G: 150/139/120

Height: 5'4"

Wow, ladies! You all are so motivating!
Ive been thinking of doing the 30DS, and I think I may go for it! I found it online so I can view it from my laptop and I think I may start this week.
The C25K sounds really great too. I've struggled with trying to run for it seems like forever, but with a finicky knee I just kept giving up. This sounds like a great tool to use.
vesperpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #118  

Vespert- I had bad knee issues a few years ago when I was 20 lbs lighter but I have been doing this for a few weeks (all week one though) and I haven't had a single knee problem yet!!

Good luck with the 30DS!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #119  

OK I did week 2 day 1 and it wasn't too bad. The 3rd interval was really hard but the rest seemed OK. Woohoo for week 2!
Old 06-11-2010, 12:42 AM   #120  
almost halfway to goal!

S/C/G: 150/139/120

Height: 5'4"

KayNicole,
I really really hope it helps. I got run over by a car when I was about 11 and its never been the same since. Im hoping to maybe toughen it up. I'm pretty sure I just gave up too quickly and went too hard the first time. Pretty good way to scare yourself anyways!

Im curious though, I dont own a stopwatch or timer I can use running. Any tips on keeping track of your time another way?
vesperpt is offline   Reply With Quote