Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/240

Height: 5' 7"

Unhappy I'm going to be in a wedding! (SHUDDER)

I really wanted to just vent this out because this is the best place where people understand.

My best friend since high school is finally getting married. She called and asked me to be her matron of honor and I said yes.

As soon as I got off the phone I panicked because I knew I wouldn't find a dress that would look good on me. Plus I have big feet and foot issues so shoes is a whole other problem.

I have been having nightmares about this ever since she asked me. When we talked the other day I told her I didn't think I wanted to be in the wedding because I was to big. ( Mind you she was one of the prettiest girls in high school)

She reassured me not to worry that she really wanted me there and didn't care what I looked like etc etc. and we would find a dress. She then asked me what size I was. Well of course I didn't dare tell her I said we have to shop in the plsu size department.

I can't believe the anxiety this is causing me. We were best friends in high school we both even modeled. We were seriously into fashion and were always shopping. Now 30 years later she's getting married. I wish it was back when I was at least a size 14 then we could shop.

Well like I said I really just wanted to vent this.

P.S. I have been working out on my Wiifit plus and lost a couple of pounds but I can't lose nearly enough weight by the time of the wedding.
2feelbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/230/180

Height: 5'6''

I know exactly how you feel! I was asked to be in a wedding last November and was only given two weeks notice. *ugh* We got to pick out our own dresses, so I ended up ordering it off the internet. I was very disappointed when I put it on, even though everyone else complimented me on it.

What it boils down to is... even though you may feel uncomfortable and feel like you are in the spotlight... All eyes are on the bride. You will make it through this, I promise.
Skweeky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I understand the bridesmaid trauma. But if you've agreed to be in the wedding, the bride needs to know your size so she can pick a dress that will actually fit you...otherwise you'll be there to get measured, and you'll likely be in an even MORE public situation when you don't fit in the dress.

There are bridesmaid dress lines that encompass a LOT of sizes...you won't need to be in a different dress than anyone else if the bride chooses one of those lines. But she won't know she needs to unless you talk to her.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Your friend wants you.

"I can't lose nearly enough weight by the time of the wedding"

You don't need to lose any pounds, your friend wants you!

If you are already losing weight (and I see that you are) you don't need to change a thing. Go about your business getting lighter and healthier. She already loves you. She'd probably still love you if you grew purple warts and a third thumb.

Just carry on. There are beautiful dresses out there for all women.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #5  

It's just 2 people in the bridal party. me, the matron of honor,
and the maid of honor
so my dress will be different from hers.

Then I guess the groom has his members.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #6  
Princess in gym training

S/C/G: 228/190/130

Height: 5'9"

I totally get it hun!! A couple years ago my best friend got married and asked me to be the MoH. I said yes knowing full well that I would never look the way I wanted. Everyone is looking at the bride, don't worry.
BellaDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

See you dont have to do matchy match so find a dress that works for you. Maybe she will let you pick out your own dress.

Your friend wants your friendship. Don't miss out because you arent where you want to be physically.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #8  

Default Wedding Day Blues

I had a similar situation where I was stressing over a wedding. My friend, Carol, reminded me, "You're not the bride. No one's looking at you."

I always say this to myself when I'm nervous about a public appearance: I'm not the bride!
YearOfLivingThinly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #9  

Height: 5 foot 2 and a half (Don't forget the half lol!)

Yes, she'll probably be surprised at your weight gain. Disappointed or ashamed? Not at all. She wants you there and that's all that matters. Big or small, she wants YOU.

If it makes you feel any better, remember that everyone will be focusing at the bride and groom, and later people will be too drunk, stuffed with food or busy having fun to think about dress sizes.
Heavenseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #10  

Hey...why not show up with Johnny Depp? Then NO ONE will care about your size! Think he's free?
Old 02-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #11  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

When is the wedding? Maybe you can use this as motivation? Maybe get some running/swimming/walking in to help speed things up? I just think the WiiFit isn't that intense as other forms of working out- no offense to anyone!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #12  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Just a suggestion - you said you were exercising on the Wii - maybe you could try a bit more demanding stuff, such as Jillian's 30 Day Shred - at least until the wedding (you did not say how much time you have) - I know that lots of people lost INCHES more than pounds - just an idea.

I am sure you will find something that you can wear and that you will look lovely in. Don't worry! I can commiserate on the shoes issue, my feet are not that big but they are ultra wide so that's another problem hard to accommodate.

Best wishes of good luck!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOfLivingThinly View Post
Hey...why not show up with Johnny Depp? Then NO ONE will care about your size! Think he's free?
LOL don't think my husband would like that.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
Just a suggestion - you said you were exercising on the Wii - maybe you could try a bit more demanding stuff, such as Jillian's 30 Day Shred - at least until the wedding (you did not say how much time you have) - I know that lots of people lost INCHES more than pounds - just an idea.

Don't worry! I can commiserate on the shoes issue, my feet are not that big but they are ultra wide so that's another problem hard to accommodate.

Best wishes of good luck!
The wedding is the end of April.

My feet are big And wide. LOL

The wii may not be that demanding but it has me doing something. I got on my treadmill last night and didn't even stay on it that long. I do the wii for a longer period of time.

I can't run due to arthritis.

I seem to remember reading alot of posts that the jillian michaels workout was really bad.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #15  

It's not like you plan to MARRY Johnny Depp...tell your hubby it's just a date. I'm sure he'll understand. Of course, then you'd have to let him "date" Angelina Jolie. What we won't do to look good at a wedding!