Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-01-2010, 02:02 PM   #1  
Loving Life!

S/C/G: 230/220/120

Height: 5'0"

Default Do you get a lot of support from the people in your life?

When it comes to your weight loss efforts, do you get a lot of support from the people in your life? Spouse, kids, family, friends, co-workers? When it comes to getting in exercise time, eating healthier at home, going out to a restaurant with friends, etc do you feel like others are supportive of your needs/choices?
MakingSkinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:03 PM   #2  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

Nope! I don't have support, which is why I come here!
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Generally speaking, yes. People support me as much as they can I suppose.

But, as usual, I do what I want. If I go out to restaurants, I usually have what I want at the moment (which may or may not include grilled chicken breast and steamed veggies). I hold myself accountable for what I put in my mouth, though.

Anyway, while the support from others is great, it doesn't really affect my eating/exercise habits.

Last edited by Cali Doll; 02-01-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 206/194/140

Height: 5'7

My fiance is very supportive and works out with me now instead of complaining about it. He gets me motivated and pushes me through our workouts! My family on the other hand is not. Last Christmas my step sister told me to get over my fat self. I got sooooo upset and haven't talked to her since but my mother insists I invite her to the wedding.
Selca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #5  
Loving Life!

S/C/G: 230/220/120

Height: 5'0"

I'm really blessed in that my husband, family and friends have all been really supportive. I've had family offer to watch the kids so I can go to the gym, my husband puts up with me being gone lots of evenings to work out. My husband's been really great with me cooking healthier meals and limiting the amount of junk that's brought into the house.

I thought of this because I'm watching an episode of X-Weighted, with a young mom trying to lose weight and her husband is being an utter and total dillweed about everything LOL
MakingSkinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selca View Post
Last Christmas my step sister told me to get over my fat self.
What??! Clearly she's got issues.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/194/140

Height: 5'7

It was the most insensitive thing I ever heard. Whats worse is she weighs about 100 pounds. I'm glad I do have someone in my life that makes up for it though.
Selca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/179.2/130one day

Height: 5.1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingSkinny View Post
I'm really blessed in that my husband, family and friends have all been really supportive. I've had family offer to watch the kids so I can go to the gym, my husband puts up with me being gone lots of evenings to work out. My husband's been really great with me cooking healthier meals and limiting the amount of junk that's brought into the house.

I thought of this because I'm watching an episode of X-Weighted, with a young mom trying to lose weight and her husband is being an utter and total dillweed about everything LOL
I second you ..... my DH help me a lot .

When he does the shopping he gets my stuff (whole bread, rice , splenda ....) for me. I love him.

But he actually says he want me whit some curves ... so I told him to tell me when he thinks is enough .(because I can not tell ).
Tuca125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #9  
Oh buddy, it's on!

Yes. I have a great foundation (my family) and they all know I've struggled with my weight for years and they realize how important this is to me. I also get a lot of support from my boyfriend. Well, as much as I can considering he lives in CA and I live in TX. We're working on changing that soon. My co-workers are pretty great, too. And of course, the support I get here at 3FC is tremendous!
Katy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I'm in a really good place. My family is really proud of me and very supportive. But, honestly, it really has helped that we're pretty much empty nesters so the days of following boys to sporting events and having to navigate concession stands is a non issue for me. It also helps that I'm not feeding hoards of boys all the junk food they love!

My husband (who has no wt issues) is completely on board and actually mentioned the other day that he feels better with our new eating habits.

I don't share much of what I'm doing with many people and at the same time I am approaching an age where many of our friends and family are also realizing (for various reasons other than wt) that they also need to change their WOE. So, whether we realize it or not, we're all supporting each other!

This is my time and life is GOOD!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #11  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

For the most part. My boyfriend is a veggiephobic and chokes down tomatoes and salads and the spinach I put in mac-n-cheese just cos he wants to eat healthy (plus I told him if he has a quadruple bypass when he's 45 I won't feel sorry for him =P). My family is really supportive surprisingly. My mom tries to live vicariously through me, so when I get to 197 (one lb lower than the lowest number I've ever seen on the scale since starting this journey) she's gonna buy me new makeup, and as soon as I get to goal she's promised to buy me a new wardrobe.

Soo yeah. I have a few friends that don't give a flying **** that I'm watching my calories and try to convince me otherwise, but I just ignore them. Really the most non supportive person in my life is me.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #12  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

My husband is very supportive. He actually looks forward to the healthier meals I make now and we celebrate together when I hit a new low on the scale. He is currently body building and trying to gain bulk and muscle. I look forward to the day when his weight exceeds mine My children say "mom is trying to get skinny" . They don't really understand but they know we eat better and mom takes off the to basement to exercise throughout the week

My step mother is probably the least supportive. We get a long well, she has been my substitute mother for a long time but when it comes to weight loss its more of a competition for her. She is around my size, a little bigger now that I am losing. She is not actively trying to lose but she will always make claims like her pants are so big now when I tell her I am losing and need new clothes. I feel like she is jealous rather than proud.
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #13  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Yes and no. My husband is as big a supporter as he is not. He's no help at all! It's always me saying no we can't eat there, no I want to eat at home, no that's outside my calorie range. And the moment I have a weakness, like "Hey, let's order pizza," he's right there with the phone. LOL! Just once I'd like him to be the one saying, "Nope, we'd better not." It's me dragging him out the door to exercise and never the other way around.

BUT...he's very supportive and will do anything I need him to do as long as I ask. He's on this journey too, but he's riding in the sled and I'm the one pulling it! LOL!

Outside of that, I don't give people the opportunity to be supportive. I don't need them, if that makes sense. No one is cruel or anything, but what I eat and how I exercise is up to me. I find myself wishing I had a friend to throw a medicine ball with or to jog with, but no one is really where I am right now.

Soon I will be running with my 8 year old! He's a runner!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #14  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Outside of that, I don't give people the opportunity to be supportive. I don't need them, if that makes sense. No one is cruel or anything, but what I eat and how I exercise is up to me. I find myself wishing I had a friend to throw a medicine ball with or to jog with, but no one is really where I am right now.
Same with me Eliana. I really haven't made an announcement that I am changing my food and exercise lifestyle. I don't want people to treat me differently or to say to me..."That's not on your diet" (or something similar) That would freak me out!

A little bit ago I went into work and a bunch of gals were coming back with Subway and the one had a package of Subway Cookies...she offered me one... I said "no Thank you" and kept on talking...she gave me this WEIRD WEIRD WEIRD look...and nothing was said...I would rather have it that way. People get strange when they find out someone is "dieting"

My husband is very supportive...but I have told him what I want. Like he knows if I am eating something not so healthy to not make a comment. It is my business. But when I tell him I have lost a pound or some other NSV he is all excited right there with me.

I think I have supportive and "in my business" confused. I don't want ANYONE saying ANYTHING to me about what I put in my mouth or what I do with my body (exercise). I guess I was shamed for so many years. Maybe it is something I need to get over. I don't know. But this is all very private for me.
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

my partner is really supportive..granted, I'm the only one who cooks, so she is sorta stuck with my healthy eating. But she doesn't push me to go places I won't eat and understands my need for gym time. My parents are also really supportive and make a huge effort to have healthy choices for me when I go home.

Most of the other people in my life are just...accepting. In the end, i can make choices that are healthier and better for me, no matter what they do. I always have the power to say no.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote