Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #46  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckyyellowfeet View Post
I'm fine with my height like 97% of the time. I like having the taller cupboards in my house all to myself, I like wearing longer skirts without being chopped off...and I like wearing heels. However, I have a sister who is like 4'10" and every time I hug her while wearing heels, I feel like an Amazon.

That being said, i think most people want what they don't have.
I think this is the bottom line. My best friend is a skinny fit modelesque blonde girl. I'm a curvy, not so fit or modelesque brunette. We're both completely straight, but we openly "lust" over each others' bodies. I want to look like her, she wants to look like me, haha. Hope that doesn't sound too weird...but it illustrates the point.

No matter what, we're our own worst critics. We look in the mirror and pick over the most ridiculous details of ourselves that other people either don't notice or don't think is an issue.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 387/387/250

Height: 6'7" (yes, really)

I'm at the freak level, like the huge elephant in the room lol.
NotFatImFluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #48  
Almost there

S/C/G: 210/147/145

Height: 5'4"

I don't really notice my height too much, unless I'm clothes shopping. I used to think about it all the time, but it doesn't seem very important to me anymore. I'm about an inch and a half taller than my mom, but 8-10 inches shorter than my dad and brothers (when I was growing up I hoped that their height might rub off on me, but alas, I stopped growing at a paltry 5'4").

The only issue I have is finding pants the right length. Most are far too long on me, because it seems most clothing designers are assuming the average height is something like 5'9" or up. Maybe they're taking the popularity of high heels into consideration, too, but I usually have at least 6 inches of pant leg I have to take off, which really changes the style of the pants. I shop petite when I can, but there's not as much variety, and few stores have the same pants in several different lengths (God bless Old Navy!).

NotFatImFluffy, do you have the same problem in reverse? Is it tough for you to find pants long enough?
Kirjava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #49  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

When I was growing up I hated being tall (I achieved full height growth in sixth grade) but now I love it and I wear heels whenever I can. And lately I've been going out with a guy who's a big strong 6'4 and he makes me feel positively petite in comparison, which is very nice. My ex-husband is only 5'11, we were the same height when I wore heels.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:30 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 196.6/see ticker/125

Height: 5'5 1/2

My friend spent a year a Japan, and even though she is about 5'6'', slim and athletic she could never find clothes big enough for her.
I've grown up with people thinking that tall is beautiful, so I've not felt tall enough to fit that ideal. Nowadays I think this height is fine, not having to worry about legspace on airplanes is good, and I'm still able to reach for things that are high up without always having to get a chair. My niece still has this weird thing about taller being better, so everytime we meet she stretches out so she'll be as tall as possible and gets deflated when I remind her that I'm still an inch taller no matter how hard she stretches I get this comparison stuff with short men too... Weird...
Sanna Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:03 AM   #51  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

I can't imagine being short, and other than a bit of awkwardness about it in my early teens, I've always been pretty happy about it. Being tall is such a big part of my identity, you know? My mom's family is tall (my late grandfather was 6'9" and my uncle is pushing 7') and I'm the tallest woman in my generation, but my dad's family runs kind of short, and I think I just got used to being around people of all different sizes, so instead of feeling freakish or weird about it, I just internalized the idea that height is variable, and doesn't really mean much. (Until you're trying to find pants that are the right length!)

Incidentally, my husband is somewhere between 5'8" and 5'9", and I've never let that stop me from wearing high heels.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #52  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I can't remember ever wanting to be taller or shorter (just skinnier!)

I consider myself tall and like being tall. Interestingly, short guys tend to gravitate towards me, by short I mean sweveral inches shorter than me. My bf is several inches shorter than me. I think I might be slightly intimidated (physically) by guys who are a lot bigger than me. I don't have a preference for taller or shorter guys though, I've been attracted to both.

there's something about being taller with the broader shoulders that feels more powerful (I'm not Lou Ferrigno, ha, but working out has given my upper body a better shape). I like that.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 203/193/155

Height: 5'2"

Tomato, don't you be sorry, I was teasing!!
I LIKE tall girls. Some of my dearest friends and best "heyreachthatfermewouldja"s are fairly tall!

Speaking of pictures, I always feel tallish until I see myself in pictures next to other people. Bleh.
thundahthighs is offline   Reply With Quote