Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Unhappy Scale Blues

Isn't it strange how much the scale effects one's mood? I'm a twice daily weigher. And though I know that doesn't work for many, it's always worked for me. Seeing my 'daily increase' has made me a little more aware of how my body works and what I need to do to keep losing.

This morning, however, after two weeks of morning bounce arounds from 151, 152, and 153...I've bounced up to 154.

I know it's probably not an ACTUAL pound gained overnight. But even so. I haven't seen 154 in over half a month, and seeing it this morning really brought me down hard.

This coupled with the fact that I AM rather concerned that I haven't been losing in a while AND I'm worried that I may be overindulging again to the point of self-sabotage (I'm trying to count calories, but doing so with school-supplied food is so complicated and untrustworthy!)

Ah, Chickies. Some days it's just so hard to go onwards.

Shifterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:06 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hi,

Don't let the scale rule your world... If I were you, I'd weigh only once a day, and maybe even less often. What you eat on one day doesn't necessarily change what you weigh the next day--and, which way the scale goes doesn't necessarily tell you anything about fat gain or loss.

When you say you are "trying" to count calories--how are you going about it? Do you use an online tracker? A paper journal and a calorie booklet? Or...? What is the calorie level you're aiming for?

Also, when you say you "may" be overindulging--that says to me that you actually "are" overindulging... or you wouldn't be thinking that way.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #3  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

If you think you may be overeating then chances are you could be. I weigh twice a day also... my morning weight is the one I count but I like to weigh before bed because it gives me an idea of how my body fluctuates... That said, it is normal for the scale to go up and down and we should try not to let that rule us... easier said than done obviously. I would do your best to be honest and track your calories to see if you have been over doing it. Also watch your water and salt intake... that can throw me off too.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/140/120

Height: 5'2"

I was like you. STOP it. STOP it now. For your sanity. Weigh yourself once a week and do not try to sneak it in twice. It will not work. When you lose all the weight and you maintain, sometimes weight fluctuates a few lbs, just when you think it won't. It will drive you crazy. You say it's hard to keep going onward with it but think of the alternative..pig out and gain the rest of your life? That surely is not what you want. remember that you are trying to create a lifestyle and if it makes you miserable consider joining weight watchers or something that promotes healthy, weekly weigh ins, a nutritional plan, and motivation.
charlottekelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

I'm a twice daily weigh-er and it works for me, as well. I think that the issue for you is not how often you weigh, but the fact that you are in a sort of "mini-plateau." Whether you weighed twice a day or twice a month you still wouldn't have seen any SCALE progress.

That doesn't mean that there hasn't been progress elsewhere (do you measure yourself?)

If you think that you may be overindulging, then there's a pretty good chance you are. It is difficult if you don't personally make the food. If I were you, I'd change whatever plan you are on through school and start making my own meals. If this is not possible, the most you can do is find calorie counts online, which I'm sure you already do, and then perhaps over estimate a little bit. Otherwise, just make sure you are counting as accurately as possible. Try that for two more weeks and see how it goes.

Once the two weeks are up and nothing has changed, then you may need to alter your plan somehow (calories up or down depending).

Good luck!!!
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote