Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-30-2009, 08:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Noticing a lot of threads about binging/loss of control

I've been having a really tough month, and I'm not really sure why. I've been calorie counting for the last 15 months, and haven't had a problem with binging or losing control until this fall. The worst thing is, I don't know what's wrong! I feel fine, my life is great. Yet, I've managed to put back on 15 pounds in the last month.

Anyway, I've been noticing a lot of people have the same problem going on- is it the season? The weather? The holidays? All of it?

What's your story?
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I've had so many deadlines this fortnight, and I've struggled to stop comfort eating--a nice binge on crisps and rocky road ice-cream was the order last night...

Plus, as soon as the scale doesn't move down, I feel even worse and start to think 'what is the point?' A lot of the people on here have had Thanksgiving as an excuse to binge, I've just binged for no reason at all...
yossarianlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I do think these threads are always around. It's an issue for most people dealing with weight loss and maintenance. Certainly the holidays don't help. All these comfort foods that are "special" and short-lived. For me, once I start down that path it is very difficult to stop!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Weight loss and maintenance isn't easy as we all know and holidays do contain certain triggers for people so it isn't unusual to have difficulties combating old habits. I know for myself that I always struggle around the holidays when I visit my family just because there is a lot of history there and part of it is me 'going home'.

I also like to know that others struggle too, it means that I'm not alone in my struggle. It doesn't mean it is ok for me to indulge if others indulge but I think we can look at our issues, our habits and try to develop strategies to deal with those issues.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #5  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Kelly, often times I try to figure out what exactly is pushing my binge buttons. Is it anxiety, procrastination, boredom, overindulgence in trigger foods, depression, true hunger, general angst... sometimes I can and sometimes I cannot.

You can do this. You are doing this. Hang in there. And come around here.

Last edited by kittycat40; 11-30-2009 at 10:07 AM.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I try to take it one day at a time. I saw you in the binge-free challenge--I know it helps me a lot, I hope it helps you too. If I feel the urge, I say to myself that I can have whatever I want tomorrow. Usually, tomorrow comes, and the urge has past. Sometimes it hasn't, but usually it has.
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:31 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/150/145

Height: 5'7"

I'm in the UK so there's no Holiday excuse here!

While I'm not really going crazy with what I eat I'm having much less strict days. I think that it's for two reasons; the weather is so bad here, there has been so much rain I'm convinced that I should be building an ark rather than exercising and I'm so frightened of getting to my goal weight. I've always been great at shedding weight but I've always failed at the keeping it off part.
Trudiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

I would expect to see more binging behavior during the fall months because of the cluster of Holidays surrounding food, but also because most food addiction is psychologically rooted in our upbringing in some way. we who have root causes in the family return to the stressor during holidays or are reminded of past family stress in some way. Probably because the holidays idealize family life and those of us with unresolved conflict resent the idealization.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:59 PM   #9  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I definitely do terribly around the holidays I swear winter makes me want to eat more...
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 210/150/150/140

Height: 5'9"

I find that I always gain weight in the winter. The days are shorter, darker, colder, and my body wants to "fatten" up and hibernate! Doesn't help that the holidays are during the darkest and coldest time of the year, and sweets and cookies and goodies abound.

This winter, though, I'm dedicated to my gym. I WILL get slim this winter instead of thickening up! I will be fierce come summer!
Suzyszoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

I agree it could be the time of year...

I read people say to allow yourself a treat or 2 during the holidays.. so I have a piece of pie one night, next night I say it's ok to treat myself to a few of those Rocher chocolates. it's probably better for some of is to just say completely no treats at all. It's so easy for 1 day to turn into 2 and it keeps going.

This time of year there are alot of nice holidays out that help me get by. I recently got Twinnings Pumpkin Pie Spice Chai and Christmas tea. Last year there was an Eggnog and Sugar Cookie flavor teas out.. it sometimes hits the spots and warms me up, although sometimes I still have that craving to just want to chew on something.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #12  

oh my gosh, I will have to look for that tea. Where did you find it?
Old 12-02-2009, 03:23 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

I find the teas at Shop Rite, Stop & Shop or sometimes order ones from amazon.com. They are usually on a display box by the seasonal items.

The Eggnog one is by bigelow, the sugar cookie one is from Celestial Seasonings.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:31 AM   #14  

omg, those sound good. I love using liquid foods to soothe my need for comfort foods. example hot cocoa instead of chocolate bars.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:51 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 152/152/125

Height: 5'2

I am a student and I am really having trouble eating well at the moment too and the number one cause is STRESS! For students this is the absolute worst time of year, end of semester, exams coming up and i am just running around all the time trying to get things done...(not to mention Christmas shopping!) Exercise falls by the wayside (bad- it would help with the stress) and i do not get enough sleep which causes me to really want a sugar/carb fix just to keep my energy levels up. Basically eating horribly these days :-( Like really, chocolate should not be a staple food

I am just trying to not completely fall off the wagon here and plan to recommit in January- i have my eye on a spin class that starts then. and i'm trying not to completely stop exercising although it's hard. ]=

But i definitely agree with those who blame the weather= just want to hibernate this time of year!
rosiem is offline   Reply With Quote