Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Weight loss isn't linear. We don't lose weight at a steady pace, just as we would like. You've lost 1 pound in two weeks! Great! What we don't know is your body composition. Did you lose some fat and gain some muscle -- making the scale higher? Did you lose some fat and then also retain extra water for one of the zillion reasons our bodies retain water, also making the scale higher?

And really, weighing yourself under different conditions do make a difference.

I know it's really easy to use the scale as a measurement tool, but in many ways it's not the best one at all to measure progress. When I started weight training, I went through a three month period where I didn't lose a pound on the scale, but went DOWN a clothing size! Even though the scale didn't show it, I was closer to my goal! So, I'd urge you to think about some other ways to measure your progress and ultimate goal, rather than just the number on the scale!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #17  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
Weight loss isn't linear. We don't lose weight at a steady pace, just as we would like. You've lost 1 pound in two weeks! Great! What we don't know is your body composition. Did you lose some fat and gain some muscle -- making the scale higher? Did you lose some fat and then also retain extra water for one of the zillion reasons our bodies retain water, also making the scale higher?

And really, weighing yourself under different conditions do make a difference.

I know it's really easy to use the scale as a measurement tool, but in many ways it's not the best one at all to measure progress. When I started weight training, I went through a three month period where I didn't lose a pound on the scale, but went DOWN a clothing size! Even though the scale didn't show it, I was closer to my goal! So, I'd urge you to think about some other ways to measure your progress and ultimate goal, rather than just the number on the scale!
Well, actually I haven't. Because the 162.5 was an evening weight and my 161.5 today was a naked morning weight. That's why I'm frustrated.

Don't get me wrong: I am thrilled that my *** is getting tighter, and I tried on a pair of size 30 Lucky Brand Jeans and they look smokin'!

I'd just like to see the numbers going down...
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #18  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinma View Post
Well, actually I haven't. Because the 162.5 was an evening weight and my 161.5 today was a naked morning weight. That's why I'm frustrated.

Don't get me wrong: I am thrilled that my *** is getting tighter, and I tried on a pair of size 30 Lucky Brand Jeans and they look smokin'!

I'd just like to see the numbers going down...
But the scales were 2 completely different scales...

You really need to weigh on the same scale, same conditions.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Here's a thought experiment for all of us.

Would you rather
a) weigh X and fit in size Y clothes.
OR
b) weigh ten more pounds, but have a toned body and fit in a smaller size of clothing?

If the weight is all that matters, then a focus on the scale is more important. But if how you look is important, then maybe the tighter a** (and tighter tummy etc) should be more important factors.

We are all taught to focus on the scale, but sometimes that focus is a little myopic. I'm not saying the scale is not important, but I think we overly rely on it (myself included!)
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #20  

OK, I lost 2 pounds.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #21  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
OK, I lost 2 pounds.
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:04 PM   #22  

Quote:
OK, I lost 2 pounds.
YAY!
jamiewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Woohoo! I was really wishing for weight loss for you this week, it sounds like you're busting your butt, and I hoped it would pay off.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #24  

Thanks, guys! I was a little embarrassed to post the 2# updated, after all my whinging.