Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-19-2009, 12:34 AM   #1  
live ur life

S/C/G: 236/230/150

Height: 5'8

Default i still liked who i was/am

i really am not appreciating the things people have been saying 2 me lately. people are starting to notice my weight loss and have been telling me 'I look good now' and talking about how bad I used to look. I honestly am one of those people that when i look in the mirror I have never seen myself as huge (sometimes 2 my own detriment). I think I look okay...Anyway I'm going to keep on working on losing weight but I just am really offended. I liked myself 30 pounds ago and I like how I look now. Anybody else go through this?
Last time when i got to this point ---and I was getting compliments left and right I ended up getting comfortable and going off plan and was like forget it - what's the point of losing the pounds, I like how I look. But now I'm really trying to stay focused on just getting healthy. I know I must sound really weird to you all but I just can't imagine myself as thin.
caliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/173/150

Height: 5'5"

I hear you! I don't like compliments about being thinner that imply I was ugly or there was something wrong with me before. Boo for the fat hatred! I don't need to hate on my fat self just because I am thinner now kwim?
myrrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:52 AM   #3  
live ur life

i agree. im finding the compliments 2 be discouraging. weird eh?
Old 08-19-2009, 01:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've pretty much always liked myself, at every weight I ever was. I was just as funny, witty, smart, generous and goofy at 155 as I was at 495 and am now.

I met and married my husband at my highest weight. I don't really find compliments discouraging - or encouraging for that matter. Looking more socially acceptable will be nice, but for me it really is only about health, strength and endurance this time. I want to DO more, but I'm not going to be a better person for it.

I also can't imagine myself thin, and who knows I may decide that 250 lbs ends up being my goal weight. All that matters right now, is that I've decided that 319 lbs is not my goal weight.

Don't think you have to hate yourself to make changes or to take care of yourself. You don't brush your teeth every morning only because you want a pretty smile or hate yourself with yellow teeth.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-19-2009 at 01:09 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:30 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I personally think I looked horrible at 287 lbs. Horrible My face was distorted. My stomach was tremendous. My behind was BEYOND tremendous. Legs like tree trunks. The fat was covering up the real me. Not only did I find my fat unattractive, but more importantly I found it - uncomfortable. Cumbersome. Unwieldy. Now mind you, I felt this way long before I hit the 287 lb mark, but not liking how I looked was not enough for me to get my act together. For me, the bottom line was/is my HEALTH.

Quote:
I like how I look. But now I'm really trying to stay focused on just getting healthy.
Uh-huh. This. Forget what people say, forget everything and everyone and focus on your health.

People told me all the time how good I looked, oh I hope you're gonna stop losing weight now, don't get too thin. yada, yada, yada. Ignore it. Remember this is NOT about looks. Do what's best for you. And best for you would be to get to a healthy weight. To try your best to decrease your chance for debilitating and deadly diseases. To increase the quality of your life and hopefully the length of it as well. You've got to turn a deaf ear. FOCUS on your health. That's what it's all about.

Though there are some pretty darn good side benefits and rewards with BEING that healthy weight.

Keep up the great work - and keep up the focus.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:44 AM   #6  
live ur life

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I personally think I looked horrible at 287 lbs. Horrible My face was distorted. My stomach was tremendous. My behind was BEYOND tremendous. Legs like tree trunks. The fat was covering up the real me. Not only did I find my fat unattractive, but more importantly I found it - uncomfortable. Cumbersome. Unwieldy. Now mind you, I felt this way long before I hit the 287 lb mark, but not liking how I looked was not enough for me to get my act together. For me, the bottom line was/is my HEALTH.

Uh-huh. This. Forget what people say, forget everything and everyone and focus on your health.

People told me all the time how good I looked, oh I hope you're gonna stop losing weight now, don't get too thin. yada, yada, yada. Ignore it. Remember this is NOT about looks. Do what's best for you. And best for you would be to get to a healthy weight. To try your best to decrease your chance for debilitating and deadly diseases. To increase the quality of your life and hopefully the length of it as well. You've got to turn a deaf ear. FOCUS on your health. That's what it's all about.

Though there are some pretty darn good side benefits and rewards with BEING that healthy weight.

Keep up the great work - and keep up the focus.
THANKS! I think I needed a good dose of reality and a kick! I'm going to stay focused on track
Old 08-19-2009, 03:04 AM   #7  

Height: 5'7''

I agree with all of you.

Even if I've never been really fat, I don't like when people give me compliments or say something about my weight at the very first moment they meet me. I know that for them it's something about the *appearance* and that's the first thing that is clear, visible to them But look at my ticker, I didn't lose so MUCH weight. Just enough to look a little bit thinner and more comfortable with myself. I HATE when the only thing people can say about me, concerns my weight loss. And that I look nice and very pretty "but please don't lose more weight". It implies that I wasn't ok before. GRRRR
I decided to lose weight because I wasn't feeling comfortable and, for my frame, I FELT I could be thinner. And btw, it was binge-eating who lead me in the past to my highest weight. BUT, I don't think I was fat or REALLY needed to lose weight. Even NOW, I would SIGN WITH MY BLOOD to be more confident about myself, my body, my-everything , even if the deal was to be heavier. I really envy people who are comfortable about themselves, whatever the weight or whatever everything else.
I know weight is not the issue (if not about health), it's just something that HELPS me in my lack of confidence.

And what I hate THE MOST, is when people act like hypocrites... they pretend that weight is not important to them that "you shouldn't lose (more) weight", but then the only think they can talk about concerns my body and how I look ecc... Why shoul I believe them when their only subject is my body?

Last edited by Julietta; 08-19-2009 at 03:06 AM.
Julietta is offline   Reply With Quote