Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-25-2009, 08:46 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 169.5/ticker/139

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by khunter View Post
I hate to "plug" one diet over another because coming from someone who has tried everything and has struggled with weight issues all my life, you really should check out the metabolic research center thread on this website. There are some really supportive and inspirational people over there. I am doing this right now and am doing well. I truely believe this is something that I can stick to for the long term. It can be a little pricey but when I look at all the money that I have wasted over the years on things that didn't work, it really is quite inexpensive considering.
Just a note. Khunter
what I actually meant to say was coming from someone who has tried everything, you really have to find what works for you.
khunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:31 AM   #17  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by khunter View Post
what I actually meant to say was coming from someone who has tried everything, you really have to find what works for you.
I'm a little confused. Especially from your previous post. This one hasn't really clarified it for me

But yes, of course we all have to find what works for each of us...... I wasn't trying to force "my way" down any one's throat. Just sharing *my* experience. I'm glad that you've found what works for you, but I think I'll stick to what I'm doing as I've found success with it.

But the truth is, nothing, nothing would have WORKED for me, until I was ready and willing to make something work. The best program in the world, whatever that may be for each individual, will only work and continue to work as long as one commits to making it work and puts in an ongoing continuous effort. It won't happen on it's own. It takes effort and willingness.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #18  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I'm a little confused. Especially from your previous post. This one hasn't really clarified it for me

But yes, of course we all have to find what works for each of us...... I wasn't trying to force "my way" down any one's throat. Just sharing *my* experience. I'm glad that you've found what works for you, but I think I'll stick to what I'm doing as I've found success with it.

But the truth is, nothing, nothing would have WORKED for me, until I was ready and willing to make something work. The best program in the world, whatever that may be for each individual, will only work and continue to work as long as one commits to making it work and puts in an ongoing continuous effort. It won't happen on it's own. It takes effort and willingness.

I totally agree with this! Thanks Robin for plucking the words from my muddled brain
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:44 AM   #19  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkychic View Post
I totally agree with this! Thanks Robin for plucking the words from my muddled brain
I don't think every one WOULD agree. But you see having lost the weight, I have hindsight on my side (I believe you do as well). In the past, I blamed it on the "program". "Well, I just can't seem to find the right plan". Nothing works for me. "I have no control". "I like food too much" "I have no time. And on and on. Nope. I wasn't willing to make a change. I wasn't willing to put forth the effort. I wasn't willing to do what was required. I wasn't willing to find what works for me and then MAKE it work.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:47 AM   #20  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I agree. I was notorious for finding excuse after excuse after excuse but not anymore . It is not easy, no doubt, but every day that I stay committed and focused and determined to change my life then each night I can go to bed and be proud of myself which is a pretty dang great feeling
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 225/160/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Remember saying no to certain foods in NOT deprivation. Not at all. The real deprivation is staying fat, feeling lousy, depressed and not wearing that bikini that you dream of. Every time you say "no" to one of those foods, you're saying YES to you. And you'll be one step closer to being that slim, fit, healthy person that you long to be. Don't trade what you want the VERY most, for what you think you want at the moment. The "food" last for minutes, maybe seconds... The effects of eating well - much more long lasting and rewarding and gratifying in the end. Think long term satisfaction, not short term gratification.

With the right attitude, good planning, including making some coping strategies for the hard times and an iron clad commitment - anything and EVERYthing is possible. You CAN lose weight. It's yours for the taking!

You said it girl!!! I couldn't have said anything more to the point, you took the thoughts right out of my head!
In my own opinion, it comes down to how much you really want it, and making the decisions and doing the work to get it. It can be done, and you can reach your goal.
Positive thinking is also a really big help too, I know, because I tend to be a little pessimistic myself. Visulize yourself thin. See yourself wearing that awesome outfit. Imagine how you will feel, light, healthy and fit. It is woking for me, I'm still at the beginning of the road, but it is a one-way trip baby, no looking back. Good Luck, you can do this!
justformenow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 311/241/235 mini

Height: 5'7"

I want to jump in here on this one to give you my side. I was 285 in 2003. I HAD to lose weight fast, like 3-4 pounds a week just like you . I HAD it in my mind it was necessary. I did atkins very strictly for a year and lost 100 pounds. After my wedding I started going off plan, got a little depressed by my pictures because I was still fat and low and behold, I gained it all plus 26 pounds. I am not saying this will happen to you - but my "rush" didn't last and it wound up hurting me. I have now lost 65 pounds in a year. I found a lifestyle I like. I pretty much watch my carbs like Atkins but I do eat what I want just in moderation. I also exercise. Granted I am 246 pounds still, but I would rather it take one year for 65 pounds then have done nothing because I couldn't do it as fast and discouraged myself. Pick a lifestyle you like with diet and exercise, take your mind off the scale and the need to do it fast and just concentrate on getting healthier. Before you know it, you will feel great!!! GOOD LUCK!!!
Missunderstood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #23  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 194/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6

your post is exactly how I feel / felt.
My friend made a statement to me one time that I just cant forget. he said that when I am really sick of the way I look, when I am really ready to lose the weight, that I will.
And that is so true.
Because when you are really ready, you will stop making excuses and you will keep your eye on the prize.
I just recently got serious with my diet. Everytime I feel like cheating or slacking off, i just look at my self in the mirror and realize that either I will always look like this, or I can get off my butt and do something about it!

it is one step at a time, one day at a time.

Last edited by MsDiana 08; 07-25-2009 at 11:51 AM.
MsDiana 08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #24  
Baby Stepping Along

I'm sorry to hear you talk so poorly about yourself. One surefire technique for failure is self-flagellation so I really encourage you to start trying to find different ways to talk to yourself. I would start with considering a change in your screenname here. Consider making it something about how you want things to be vs. how they are now. Words are powerful and beating yourself up with them is just not productive.

I agree that your expectations are probably unrealistic and the weight is probably not going to come off as quickly as even 3-4 lbs a week unless you choose to do things that you already know don't work long term. Is it possible for you to consider not even thinking about how much weight you will lose and start focusing on behaviors only? I believe that it is only your behaviors you can control, not the scale and it sounds like your behaviors are really a place where you'll easily find improvement pretty quickly. For me, I only worry about the behaviors and the weight follows but I also take a less common approach and don't weigh myself. I do this for health reasons and it doesn't really matter if what I'm doing is causing me to lose weight. I need to do it no matter what. Conveniently, I also lose/maintain weight because they go hand in hand.

I've had an amazing amount of success getting back on track and originally getting rolling with this.

Give yourself one point per day if:
1. Accountability: record your food somewhere...food journal, on one of the boards, whereever it will hold you accountable to write it down. It doesn't have to be super detailed right now. Just a place where you can plan and document what it is you ate, good, bad and indifferent.
2. Exercise: Any exercise...walk around the block, march in place during commercials, anything. You are trying to establish the thought process that you need to get it in at some point. Again, don't worry about how much, etc., just do something. Sounds like you have a piece of this already so maybe make it a 30 min minimum.
3. Water: Increase your water consumption. If you aren't drinking any, add a glass before each meal. If you are drinking it already, cool, easy point.
4. Me time: Take 15 min to do something just for you. Read, journal, whatever is a 'treat' for you.
5. Good/Better/Best Choice: Make one good/better/best choice per day. Skip a treat, count out the chips instead of eating from the bag, leave a bite or 2 behind. Only need one per day.

You can set a reward for days in a row with 5 points or I use a weekly total of 30+ points a week for a reward threshold. Find a meaningful non-food reward and give it to yourself when you get the job done. You'll likely get to a point where one or more of these is too easy and then you can start raising the bar for yourself gradually. Make the exercise goal a certain number of minutes...got the water? Change it out to fruit/veggie servings.

HTH!

Peg
p7eggyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #25  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I think in order to make the weight loss work we all have to get to a place where we're ready to make it a long term lifestyle change and not just a crash diet.

I'd been on a diet since I was 12 and it got me nowhere. I bounced around the upper 100's lower 200's all through highschool and college. I'd lose 40 lbs eating nothing but lettuce and gain it all back and then some in no time. I'll readily admit that I had NO idea what I was doing. I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that I could lose weight without starving myself.

After I had my son I decided that I was done with all the torture (because honestly that's what it is)... I could spend more time yo yoing and walking around blindly with my weight climbing or I could get to work, do some research, and figure out how my body works. For the first time something worked, and it worked well! I lost 100 lbs after I had him. Not because I starved myself but because I knew what kinds of foods in what amounts would feed my body and make me successful.

I gained it all back when I was pregnant with my daughter. I was busy and tired and stressed and I stopped caring. THAT is not going to happen again . Once I lose this weight I have the tools in my belt to keep it off. If the weight comes back (it won't!!!) I have nobody to blame but myself.

You have to make a plan for yourself. Find out what works for you! I calorie count. I account for every bit of food that enters my mouth. I am in control of my success. There are certain foods that I enjoy but I know they will derail me so I avoid them and I'm okay with that... there are better choices that I've found I enjoy just as much! This morning I had a bowl of high fiber cereal mixed with yogurt and it was delicious and I'm full and not cranky and deprived!

3-4 lbs is not realistic IMHO. These are crash diet numbers not healthy weight loss numbers. I average about 2 lbs a week. I'm thrilled with that!!!

Either you can start doing this the right way, and the tools are all right here on this board! and find yourself at goal in a year or 2 years... or you can keep crash dieting and find yourself up another 40 lbs in a year. The choice is up to you!!!

You CAN do this!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #26  

I too was a llittle confused with the 235/130 thing. I just chalked it up to a typo.

Welcome to the site and best wishes for whatever plan you decide on for your weight loss.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #27  
NO LONGER WILL I BE FAT!~

S/C/G: 235/230/115

Quote:
When I finally decided to lose the weight I looked at it as my job, my mission. I was not going to let ANYthing stand in my way. I was tired of being fat, realized that I didn't HAVE to be if I didn't want to be and that was that. I was very determined and I made SURE that I set myself up for success. So yes, no guessing on something so important. Definitely TRACK those calories. It is incredibly easy to take in more calories then you think. Calorie counting is also built in accountability, a built in turn-off switch and built in portion control. It's keeping to a budget and it keeps you from overspending your calories.

And I'll tell you this right now - eating healthy will not happen on it's own - you must plan it out in ADVANCE.

It's also very important to not let yourself get too hungry. I eat often. Every 2 - 2 1/2 hours or so. But good, wholesome, nutrient rich, satisfying, filling foods - not garbage that leaves me wanting more garbage. Not pretzels, and crackers and cookies and pizza where I have a hard time stopping. MUCH easier to not start at all. Chicken, fish, salads, no fat yogurts, fruits, yes veggies (be creative), egg whites, veggie burger type products, etc...

Consistency is also very important. The weekends count just as much as all the other days of the weeks. One "off" day can wipe out any progress made in the other 6. So plan out those weekends even more so, as they're usually more difficult.

Remember saying no to certain foods in NOT deprivation. Not at all. The real deprivation is staying fat, feeling lousy, depressed and not wearing that bikini that you dream of. Every time you say "no" to one of those foods, you're saying YES to you. And you'll be one step closer to being that slim, fit, healthy person that you long to be. Don't trade what you want the VERY most, for what you think you want at the moment. The "food" last for minutes, maybe seconds... The effects of eating well - much more long lasting and rewarding and gratifying in the end. Think long term satisfaction, not short term gratification.

With the right attitude, good planning, including making some coping strategies for the hard times and an iron clad commitment - anything and EVERYthing is possible. You CAN lose weight. It's yours for the taking!
OMG! thankyou, reading this really did make me cry, you should be a motivational speaker, any time i feel weak im going to read this :]
2fat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #28  
NO LONGER WILL I BE FAT!~

S/C/G: 235/230/115

Thanks everyone for the support, it was really motivational reading this. Thanks again everyone!!!

I have started a journal, and even a Fitday account, i work out every day for 1 hour and i feel great afterwards, i have been calorie counting, and i eat everything i want just everything healthy. I added more vegies and fruits and now im on a 2000 calorie budget, and suprisingly when i weighed myself in the morning [ i only weigh myself in the morning] i seemed to have became 230 i didnt feel like i was loosing weight, but i did. It was very confusing to me, and i still am confused, because i havent felt like eating bad food, i wasnt hungry and i was still loosing weight. In the past i thought that hunger meant i was loosing weight, i know that loosing 5lbs in that short is really bad, and i didnt even mean it, but it just happend, i havent been depriving myself at all.

Last edited by 2fat4u; 07-26-2009 at 01:42 PM.
2fat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 185/183/130

Height: 5'3"

I really appreciate your struggle. I am currently trying to modify my plan in similar ways. I am not a pro by any means... not even an beginner but I am happy to share the things I find successful and would love if you would do the same!!

ajowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:51 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
Expect to lose 3-4lb a week is unrealistic. Maybe some weeks you will lose that but aiming for 1-2lb is much realistic.
I can't believe it took until the 11th post for someone to say this. It is the first thought that entered my mind when I read the first post. I can not stress enough! There will be weeks when you loose that much, maybe even more. But most weeks you'll lose 1-2, and that's doing great. And if you don't lose or you gain some weeks, well that's okay too. Just keep going and be prond of yourself for every single pound you lose!

Last edited by Aclai4067; 07-26-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote