Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-30-2008, 05:43 PM   #136  
Need to get back on track

S/C/G: 230/224/150

Height: 5'6"

It seems to me that you're in a little bit of denial. Him thinking and saying those things in a loving relationship is just not acceptable, or at least it shouldn't be. I've lost weight before and had to deal with cellulite and loose hangy skin, but my boyfriend would never in a million years tell me I gross him out sometimes, or tell me if I loved him I would get surgery! He doesn't love you unconditionally. I think you are just thinking you need to settle for this guy because of your age and you want kids soon. Saying he won't marry you unless you get the surgery? How could you continue to want to be with someone who can say that to you and is supposed to love you? You need to get rid of this shallow guy and find someone who deserves you! You lost so much weight and look so hot! Find a man who also thinks so! <3

My heart would be broken if the love of my life said this kinda stuff to me. And I wouldn't take it for a second! Sure I'd love a little surgery in the end.. but my bf of 7 years actually hates the idea of me getting any kinda cosmetic stuff done.

Edit: Didn't read more than the first few posts.. sorry

Last edited by SandiSweets; 09-30-2008 at 05:47 PM.
SandiSweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:28 AM   #137  

S/C/G: 265/230/135

Height: 5'4"

So, it's been what.... a year and a half since these posts?

I fell off the weightloss wagon hard -- I must have knocked myself out, because I then just stayed there for the rest of 2009! Where did the year go? At least I stayed clear of the whole X-factor.

That is. Until. (is that psycho music playing???) He came back!!

So that's why I'm resurrecting this from the ghosts of posts gone past. I'm not sure what I think and seem to be going around in circles in my head. I have a theory that just like eating too much makes you unaware of what real hunger feels like, thinking too much makes you unaware of a what a really true thought or emotion feels like.

So. If you've read thru this, you know I had a superficial boyfriend who loved me, but couldn't commit unless I did dramatic weight loss and plastic surgery. We did the "break up, make up, break up, make up" thing as years went by. Then, one comment too many, I came here, found the strength thru the validation of my emotions to say NO and bring the cycle to the end. (With a little luck from Mother Nature -- he become suddenly and violently allergic to one of my new kittens!).

So. Now it's 2010. On January 2nd, who shows up, crying, on my doorstep? YES! He's made the worst mistake in his life, and he wants me for who I am, just exactly how I look, he's been stupid, I'm the best person for him. Big speech worthy of the ending climax scene of a romantic comedy. He wants to be together.

I, of course, tell him, no. We can be friends. He's gone thru a bad experience, and I'm the only one he feels he can trust and turn to (even though we've hardly spoken in 9 months). I can't leave a man to have a break-down on my steps, so he comes inside.

I'm nice, and helpful and like always, "his rock". Basically telling him to shut it, and it's not so big and important as he thinks, and to just get on with the daily business of living. He keeps repeating he should've asked me to marry him years ago.

So then. Sunday. (Yes, Valentine's Day). He shows up. Balloon. Flowers. Takes me out to our favourite restaurant. I'm thinking, this is weird. Then asking about the future. This is even weirder.

Then.

Yes. no. Yes. It's a ring. And he asks me to marry him. Declares he's had a life change epiphany, and he realizes that it's the other people in your life that make life important. He wants children now, and he wants someone to be with and grow old with, and nothing else is important. He wants that person to be me. His life is happier with me in it.

It's all very sweet, and would make women cry in a good chickflick. But... I am not crying. I'm in shock. What the h*ll was he thinking?? This wasn't even supposed to be a date! or if it was, it was a get to know you again type of date. I'm not even near saying yes. But I can't bring myself to say no. What was he thinking? I just stare at the ring, without even taking it out of the box.

It's been a year and a half since we broke up!! You don't ask your ex to marry you! Do you? I couldn't say yes or no, so I just sat there until prompted, and said I'd have to think about it. For a long time. A very long time.

Maybe I'll copy some of these posts and show him, to remind him of his past behavior. Has his epiphany changed him so much that he wouldn't revert?

I can't imagine him not reverting. Everyone reverts, don't they? You can't just change like that. Or at least if you do, you can't expect people to trust it! And it's been so long, I don't even know if I have feelings for him any longer. Although I haven't been able to muster of feelings for anyone, lately.

Sorry for the long ramble in the defunct post listing, I just had to come somewhere and say it all outloud. Friends and family will either be in the YAY GET MARRIED camp or the BOOO DUMP EMO camp, and I didn't want to start a war

I was just feeling free of him, and now it's all scrambled back up again!

And I'm at the highest weight I've been in years, 226. He's only seen me at this weight once, right at the beginning, 6-7 years ago. I guess it means something that he could propose at this weight. But I dont' know what to think.

I don't know what I think or feel, and I don't know how much to trust what he thinks and feels. He says he knew I would want to wait, but he wanted to propose and give me a ring to prove that he was serious.

It was quite funny, really. After he'd asked, and we'd talked all about it, and he told me to keep the ring anyway while I think....then the wait staff came over with a special romantic dessert and sang congratulations to us! He was like, "Yeah, congratulations, you're *not* getting married!"
Naia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #138  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

There's been no epiphany, and it's not a question of reverting--he hasn't changed at all. He's still using drama to manipulate you, creating situations where he's the "good guy" and you have to do what he wants or be a b****. Listen to yourself:

Quote:
I can't leave a man to have a break-down on my steps, so he comes inside.
Showing up at someone's doorstep unannounced for an emotional heart-to-heart is romantic if you are 1) in a movie or 2) 14. He put you in a situation where you had to deal with him right that minute, putting aside whatever else you were doing, because he assumed that nothing else could matter as much as an old boyfriend. And you had to go along, because otherwise you would have felt like a heartless *****.

Quote:
.then the wait staff came over with a special romantic dessert and sang congratulations to us! He was like, "Yeah, congratulations, you're *not* getting married!"
And here, he ends the evening my making sure to humilate you/make you feel guilty by telling perfect strangers how, basically, he did this huge nice thing and you ruined it.

It doesn't matter what he feels. I am sure that he loves you as deeply and as profoundly as any man ever loved a woman. He just doesn't see any connection between that feeling, which is absolutely real, and how he should treat you--for you, for most normal people, loving someone means not hurting them. The connection is so obvious that it's absolutely assumed. But for some people it's not there. It's like moms who beat their children. They love their kids. They absolutely do. They've just got some weird wiring where having that feeling doesn't tell them not to hurt them.

It doesn't matter if he loves you. All that matters is that he doesn't mind hurting you.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:03 AM   #139  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

he's still manipulating you. he still is playing games and blackmailing you.

say no.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #140  
westernsoutherngirl

S/C/G: 170/164/145

Height: 5'6'

Run from this - don't walk - RUN! He is toxic!
westernsoutherngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #141  
New Beacher!

S/C/G: 174/154/125

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naia View Post
And I'm at the highest weight I've been in years, 226. He's only seen me at this weight once, right at the beginning, 6-7 years ago. I guess it means something that he could propose at this weight. But I dont' know what to think.
Yes, it means he has you right where he wants you.. he thinks you are in a place where you are struggling, self concious and ripe for abuse. Prove him wrong. Walk away.
KicknKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #142  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

First, what Schmead said. She said it so well.

Quote:
He's gone thru a bad experience, and I'm the only one he feels he can trust and turn to
Yeah, that happens when you treat people like crap. The ones willing to put up with it become fewer and fewer.

Quote:
And it's been so long, I don't even know if I have feelings for him any longer.
You don't muster up feeling of love. You don't love him.

Quote:
I guess it means something that he could propose at this weight.
It means you think you deserve to "settle."

Don't do it!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #143  

S/C/G: 198.6/148/120

Height: 5'3"

Run away from him. He only loves himself. When I meet my husband my weight was 130 and I ballooned to 190; his love for me never changed. When I decided to start dieting he supported me and I lost 70 pounds. After that events on our life (and my bad decisions or ways to cope with those events) make me gain weight back and now my weight is 192. On that weight rollercoaster his love never has changed because he loves my way of thinking, my feelings, and what it is inside of me. Obviously he is supportive when I make changes that are beneficial for my health. However, he loves me no matter how I look. He also married me when I was 190. Your EX-boyfriend has a complete different concept about love. I know from your post that you wanted to marry him. However, what would happen if he does not like your way of aging in the future. You may be able to lose weight and to get surgery to remove your skin. However, you will not be able to stop your natural process of aging. Do you want to live with someone that it is more worried about how the others look at you two than about how the things between you two are?
aluxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #144  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Hi Naia,

It was a pleasant surprise to see your thread resurface again. I thought about you, for unknown reasons, many many times and I wondered what happened to you and your relationship.

I did not realize at first that this was the original thread from 2008 and I didn't realize that it was you who started it. I simply saw a thread that I didn't remember so I started to read. When I came to the part where you (in the very first post) state that you have been dating this man for 4 years, my first thought was "Oh sheesh, so she is still with him!!" Only then I realized that this is the original thread from 2008 (gosh, I can't believe it has been a year and a half ago when you posted this).

I don't know what to say. First of all, yes, people can and do change, but I believe that something of the previous behaviour will always lurk beneath the surface. I think I know I am talking about since I went throug a major personal transformation myself, but I know that often the old thoughts kick in or whisper to your inner ear and it takes a major effort to reign them back in.
I feel that your ex-BF ambushed you with his marriage proposal - you were right, one doesn't pop the question after being out of contact with the other person for some 9 months or so. It's like he is so SURE that you are still there waiting for him (because he is such a catch), and available after all that time. You will have to think really hard about you are going to do and mainly, about what you want. Would you be EVER able to feel comfortable with him naked, knowing he criticized your body some 50 or 60 lbs ago? Yeah, I know, he says he loves you what who you are but talk is cheap.
I just hope that you will do some major soul searching before you decide, either way. You owe that to yourself. I think you have become a happy and FREE person and I would not want you to lose that ever again.

As always, my continued wishes of good luck and lots of hugs.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #145  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

No.

If he had changed he would be doing everything possible to prove it ON YOUR TERMS not his. Which means NOT rushing you in to a commitment before he has taken the time to show you he has really changed. Rushing to commitment is another abusive behavior. Grand romantic gestures in the absence of substance are also abusive red flags.

Give the ring back. Dont let him have that iota of control.

A man who had changed would understand that he needs to earn your trust and respect, not demand it.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #146  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
No.

If he had changed he would be doing everything possible to prove it ON YOUR TERMS not his. Which means NOT rushing you in to a commitment before he has taken the time to show you he has really changed. Rushing to commitment is another abusive behavior. Grand romantic gestures in the absence of substance are also abusive red flags.

Give the ring back. Dont let him have that iota of control.

A man who had changed would understand that he needs to earn your trust and respect, not demand it.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Please don't settle.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:26 PM   #147  

S/C/G: 227/Ticker/147

Height: 5'5"

Wow. I have read this entire thread (and I hardly ever do that) and I just want to say (no, beg) please take these ladies' advice! Good luck, I know it won't be easy.
fashinjunkie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #148  
Doughnut

S/C/G: 161.4/158.6/130

Height: 5'5.5"

I'm probably going to get shouted down for bluntness here but I can't believe you've posted this. You've shown yourself to be a bright, intelligent and articulate woman and yet you say "I don't know what to think". Er, yes you do. If you agree to marry him or actually have this fool taking up anymore or your life then it'll be your own fault I'm afraid. Breaking free of him took courage but choosing to go back to him would be weak. You're worth so much more.
Doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:43 AM   #149  

S/C/G: 270/208.6/165 (HW285)

Height: 6'

Let this guy go and find a man who loves you for you, not what you look like, who is supportive of healthy weight loss because he is for anything that gives him a longer life with you.
And don't feel like you have to have a guy in your life for you to have a wonderful, full, and happy life...You are good enough just as you are.
mkyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:41 AM   #150  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

Don't forget what you've said earlier in this thread!

You do NOT want this man to be the father of your future children! Even if he was magically able to change his standards and decided he's been too harsh... underneath that revelation, he's still the same man that you decided was not father material. Furthermore, he's the same man that gave you a hard time for watching the programs you wanted to watch, and forced you to make him sammiches. I'm sure THAT hasn't changed! (Especially if he's been living with his mother this whole time )
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote