Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:57 PM   #31  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberlover View Post
You know, the restaurants could really help themselves by serving 1/2 portions. Most portions sizes are huge, so it isn't surprising to see the sky high calorie counts.
Ever been to Cheesecake Factory? You can easily share one of their entree's with 2 people and the portions would still be more then adequate. They're just ENORMOUS.

But you make a very good point. Just cutting down on the sheer volume of the stuff would certainly help to decrease those calorie counts.

I remember, back in the day, before my lifestyle change, I would cook sooo freely with oil, butter, and every other high calorie item you can think of - you name it. I could have easily cut back with no compromise to the taste. Bet you restaurants could do the same. They're most likely going to have to start.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:05 PM   #32  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango683 View Post
It irritates me when the restaurant's menu either isn't online, or they don't have nutrition info on there (ahem, Chipotle!)

http://www.chipotlefan.com/index.php...ion_calculator
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:25 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

They can certainly cook better with almost no loss in expected flavor. It's just easier to use lots of fat and cream and salt.

And portion size is a huge part of it, even if they were cooking better. Portion size in this country is ridiculous.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:32 PM   #34  
ars
looking for onederland

S/C/G: 300/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

I wish this would spread out to the rest of New York state, it would make eating out on the fly so much easier!
ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:34 PM   #35  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I think this is just great. Hopefully, it will be an eye-opener for many people who will think twice about ordering a 1,500 calorie dinner followed by a 600 calorie dessert and a 400 calorie drink.
Sure, there will still be many who will ignore the information and brush it off saying "I lead an active life" etc. but I do believe this will eventually force the restaurants to present healthier meals.
I wish this trickled down (or should I say up? ) to Canada as well.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #36  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango683 View Post
Now, in my "new life" I study a restaurant's menu/nutrition guide before I go, so I know exactly what I'm getting and how many calories it's going to set me back. It irritates me when the restaurant's menu either isn't online, or they don't have nutrition info on there (ahem, Chipotle!) This is just great- it's going to be such an eye opener for people. Sure, it's going to get a lot mad, but they can still eat it- no one's stopping them. There's nothing wrong with an educated society.
I don't know where they got it, but ChipotleFan.com is a great resource for nutritional information for Chipotle. I use it to create my meal before I go to Chipotle.

http://www.chipotlefan.com/index.php...ion_calculator
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #37  

You know, when chains do offer healthy food, it doesn't sell and goes off the menu. People say they want it, but when it comes to fries or a salad with that burger, most will go for the fries.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:59 AM   #38  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

But according to the article, their higher calorie items aren't selling as well as their lower calorie items. So maybe the information will help healthier items stay on the menu.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #39  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I think the point is that when people have the information right in front of them, they tend NOT to make the decision to have fries... They can't pretend that it just means "a few" more calories, "what the heck". We've all played that mental game.

I cringe every time I think of the chili cheese fries I used to eat, completely oblivious to how much food that really was... Oh, and a milkshake...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I think a fair number of people will still go for the fries ... but at least they'll do it from an informed standpoint.

Even now, knowing all I know, I will "splurge" on something ... with full awareness of how many calories it is. Last week I had a yogurt shake from Steak and Shake - knowing full well that it was 500+ cals. But at least I wasn't just saying "oh it's yogurt, so it must be healthy and low cal".

I do think that it will force restaurants to rethink their menus. I think there's a perfectly appropriate time and place for a 2500 calorie splurge meal. I also think that there should be a range of items on a restaurant's menu.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 272/240/140

Height: 5'8"

I agree, Photo - and I think the bigger point was what was brought up in the article by the girl who ordered the salad. If they're going to advertise it as a healthy option, it should probably be less than a burger and fries.

What I think this will cut down on most of all is just that false advertising, which is wrong.
vikkivma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:34 AM   #42  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
You know, when chains do offer healthy food, it doesn't sell and goes off the menu. People say they want it, but when it comes to fries or a salad with that burger, most will go for the fries.
Good point, but I think most people don't realize how terrible the burger and fries really are and so don't feel compelled to replace them with healthier things. I believe that once people are made aware that they're getting 1500 calories and not 500, they may opt (sometimes, at least) for something a little less caloric. Here's hoping, anyway.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #43  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

The fact is that we have the RIGHT to know the truth about the food we are being served. We have the right to control what goes in our mouths and we have the RIGHT to be fairly informed. To go in and believe the false advertising that a salad is better for you than a burger and fries... that's not FAIR. And everyone is free to make their own decisions, whether there is a calorie label or not. But we have a right to not be misinformed...

I love it--- I know for a FACT that there have been times I've "assumed" that something is not nearly as bad for me... I've stood in front of a bakery case knowing I wanted to be "bad"... but it would help to know EXACTLY how bad I am being... I mean, there's varying degrees of bad and if I would have known the lemon drop cake was WORSE than the "chocolate wonderful tasty treat" I woulda just got the chocolate thing in the first place!

Last edited by BrandNewJen; 07-17-2008 at 11:50 AM.
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think even if someone still orders something astronomically high in calories, that isn't necessarily a failure of the system. It may takes a while for them to decide enough is enough, but without the information in the first place, it won't nag at them until they do something about it. Yeah, people already know the calories are bad, but denial doesn't even take any hits without that "1600 calories" staring at them from the menu.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:05 PM   #45  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLK View Post
Eh, I live in NYC and this mandate doesn't include most places -- non-chain restaurants aren't subject to this requirement and since most restaurants in NYC aren't chains, this new law is kind of pointless.

Also, generally, our mayor (Mike Bloomberg) is SUCH a Mother Hen about everything, at least in my opinion, that this actually kind of annoys me. It's right up there with no smoking in bars, no horn-honking, getting tickets for not wearing a seatbelt, etc etc. other examples I can't think of. I understand why this all seems appealing, the mayor wanting to promote health and safety and stuff, but he's not our mom. Next we're going to sent to our rooms without dinner for crossing against the light...
I completely agree with you. Additionally, most chain restaurants have this information on their websites, so if people were really interested in the calorie counts for foods, they could look it up on the website. Although I do believe that knowledge is a start, I don't believe that lack of knowledge alone is the cause of weight gain. I could probably tell you the calories in most foods without even looking, but that doesn't mean I won't eat higher calorie foods. I'm just leery of the nanny-state mentality of which this seems to be an example.
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote