Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #16  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

That is SUPER awesome, I wonder if it will EVER happen in Chicago - LOL!
This is great because, some chains do not publish their info on the web, so it might help me if our New York peps start adding these things to www.thedailyplate.com
I feel really strongly that this is the right thing to do. I even think the little ma & pa's should have the calories as well!
Imagine if they tell you the calories at the drinks at the bar too!
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:32 PM   #17  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

I'm not sure what I think about it yet. I mean, obviously it's great for people who DO want to know what they are consuming. And I think it's equally important that people who wouldn't try to seek health information out on their own, have it presented to them regardless. I know that you can argue this point otherwise.. but obesity affects us all in a myriad of ways.

I imagine restaurants will have to modify their menus to present healthier options, which is fabulous.. but will their customers want healthier options? People don't necessarily want the calories but they want the cheese... Not everyone likes the taste of healthy food. And my concern is that in baked goods, for example, more and more food will be created with artificial ingredients like artificial sweeteners. And there are people who will be consuming that, without realizing it, who wouldn't normally choose to do so.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:37 PM   #18  
I heart 3FC

S/C/G: 210/197/135

Height: 5'2" Age: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellydisney View Post
I would love it if this law came to Boston!
Ditto!
just keep swimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Actually yes, there will be. The city of New York is going to audit restaurants at random and the article said that fines wil range from $200 to $2000 per infraction.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:48 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 147/144/120

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyodieterinvegas View Post
even some things I've seen stamped with a big old "organic" on the package but contains HFC I'm thrilled to see this trend and wish it would become federal law.
Actually, there is no reason why HFC couldn't be organic. Food that is certified "organic" is only representing itself as having been produced according to certain production standards (non-irridiated, no conventional pesticides, and non-GMO). HFC produced with organic corn could potentially meet all of these standards.
betsysunqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #21  
Time To Do This Thing

S/C/G: 195/195/125

Height: 5'4"

wow... wish this would become a mandatory law in all states.

having that kind of info right in front of you would be so helpful in an ongoing way to build knowledge and awareness over time and (try to help) lead to better, more informed choices.

especially eye-opening with regard to the meals that are presented/marketed with a healthy look and feel (the salads with chicken and fruit, etc. that turned out to be more than 1000 calories).

great info.

thanks for posting this.
bluesurfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #22  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Wow that was a fascinating read. I am going to have to share this with my friends.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:58 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I'm glad someone is doing it.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #24  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

This is incredibly, incredibly cool. Could you imagine the ramifactions this could have? If people really start staying away from the calorie laden stuff, the restaurants may be FORCED to serve lighter fare.

My friend just today was telling me about this. I hadn't seen it. Probably because I don't go to restaurants very often. She said whe was in Dunkin' Donuts and couldn't believe how many calories a muffin was. I hit it right on the head, I'm proud to say.

She also said that a vanilla frosted and a strawberry frosted donut was 100 calories less then the chocolate frosted.

This can really be something significant. I think our mayor is on to something. He's very into quality of life laws. My only beef with Mayor Bloomberg, is that he has made the fines on tickets sky high. But I say, bring on more and more quality of life laws.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #25  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Does anyone know how the calorie counts are determined? I just wonder about how accurate they are.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:39 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulone View Post
And my concern is that in baked goods, for example, more and more food will be created with artificial ingredients like artificial sweeteners. And there are people who will be consuming that, without realizing it, who wouldn't normally choose to do so.
That's an interesting point -- I hadn't thought about that! You might be right. hmmmm.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:55 PM   #27  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

See! I told you it wasn't my fault I got fat!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:59 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 230/219/155

Height: 5'7"

Now, in my "new life" I study a restaurant's menu/nutrition guide before I go, so I know exactly what I'm getting and how many calories it's going to set me back. It irritates me when the restaurant's menu either isn't online, or they don't have nutrition info on there (ahem, Chipotle!) This is just great- it's going to be such an eye opener for people. Sure, it's going to get a lot mad, but they can still eat it- no one's stopping them. There's nothing wrong with an educated society.
Mango683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:10 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 272/240/140

Height: 5'8"

Well, even though some restaurants may try to switch them for still-unhealthy choices (like aspertame), the great thing is simply getting awareness out there.

Not being able to find an entree under 1000 calories is ridiculous.

The only part that really surprised me was people being shocked at the calorie content of Starbucks snacks or muffins - I thought that little secret was known to many ages ago.

Though I suppose as someone who's struggled with her weight since age 8, it's probably something I'm more likely to know. lol.
vikkivma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:17 PM   #30  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

You know, the restaurants could really help themselves by serving 1/2 portions. Most portions sizes are huge, so it isn't surprising to see the sky high calorie counts.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote