Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-17-2008, 12:23 AM   #16  

Other than the fat being replaced with sugar and trans fat, like some people have already mentioned, I guess consuming something that is virtually fat free or reduced in fat dramatically might result in cravings for more food or a feeling of not being full enough, resulting in you wanting to eat more. I've realized that going completely fat free is not the way for me. I need to have some healthy fats in my diet to keep the cravings at bay.
ClearBlueWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:20 AM   #17  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

ClearBlueWater,

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:12 AM   #18  

Thanks, JayEll Although I'm just an old user with a new name and a new start on healthy eating habits
ClearBlueWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:17 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by txangelgirl View Post
Well not necessarily... most have added sugar in them that more than voids the lower cals or fat. I used to buy the light versions of cookies, diet stuff you know, and they didn't do me one bit of good.

Advice? Have you ever heard of guiltless gourmet? Oh boy oh boy they have some good eatins'. Like their bananas foster cake yummmo! I get those and allow myself one per week for each week I stay on plan - my reward. And man they are a reward and a half; much better than some 1000 cal dessert right. You feel like you're getting a reward, but it's still good for you! Go figure!

Me personally, I don't buy any of the diet foods, like the cookies, or crackers, etc. If I'm hungry, I have a protein shake, or fresh fruit, or yogurt (the whipped chocolate yogurt - put it in the freezer and then eat topped with fresh sliced strawberries wow so delish!) - you get the drill. I just couldn't control myself with those things, so I put myself in diet boot camp LOL; I took a big hefty trash bag and went through my kitchen and tossed everything that wasn't totally awesome for my plan. We all have our own solutions and what works for us, but with me my problem was overeating, so my logic was, if I don't have anything in the house I can gain weight from, I can eat a little more in quantity and not gain weight from a slip up. You'd be surprised by how creative you can get with sweets if your rule is not to bring any of that stuff in the house. Another idea? Okay....get some fresh pears, cut in half and seed them. Place on a baking sheet and drizzle with a little honey and sprinkle on some ginger and cinnamon, and bake at 250 til soft. Dollop some fat free whipped topping, and you're in heaven. I also grill bananas in the skin on my George Foreman grill til the banana is soft inside; peel it, and put it over some fat free frozen yogurt, and drizzle some sugar free chocolate syrup on top. So good. Hope this helps!!!!
some of those sound great! I love pears too, so I"ll have to try that. Basically I was eating a "yoplait light thick and creamy" last night and was wondering to myself ok, i saved 80 calories and 2.5 grams of fat, but in reality was it really "better" for me health wise.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:38 AM   #20  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You know, I generally ignore the labels that say "fat free" "low fat", etc etc.

If I'm going to buy a processed product, I look at the calories, the fat, the carbs, the fiber and I look at the ingredients. The ingredients are really the tell tale sign if something is fairly healthy or not. If the ingredients look good but the calories, fat, carbs and fiber are a bit off, then I'll generally pass on a product.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

It really depends on the product.

Fat free, or reduced fat dairy products are usually better calorie and fat wise...they are reduced fat/nonfat simply because fat (cream) is removed from the milk they originate from. Nothing else is added.

Baked chips and crackers are better, simply because they are baked, and not fried in oil.

On the other hand...fat free cookies, cakes, and other sorts of things are usually made to taste good with less fat, by adding chemicals, more sugar, etc. Reduced fat peanut butter is worse than original, because they take some of the natural peanuts out (which contain fat-but are still healthy) and replace it with sugar.

So, you have to check the labels, and compare it with the original versions.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote