Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-22-2007, 06:47 PM   #1  
Getting Better Every Day!

Location: Ireland - The green green grass and the grey grey skies

Height: 5ft 11"

Default When should weight loss end and toning up begin?

Im stil losing weight but im not sure when i should stop.... I have a bit of flab on my stomach but im not sure if im supposed to lose more or just tone up
ih8diets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

That's a really tough question, and I'm sure the answer is different for everyone, because the right weight is so dependent on frame, fitness level, etc. Looking at your height/weight, and from viewing your photos, I wouldn't think you'd want to lose much, if any, more weight. You look amazing. Why don't you treat it as an experiment.... switch into maintenance eating, and focus on your fitness routine.... give it a couple of months and see if that's getting you the results you want to see. My personal taste is that I don't think it looks good on anyone, but particularly on men, when one crosses the line from "slender" into just plain "skinny".
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:31 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! For me they were concurrent... the toning helped the weight loss, and vice versa. So I'd say, why not start now?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #4  

hmmmm, well i think i still have more fat to lose tho....i can grab big lumps of fat on my stomach and chest and back etc... maybe i should lose a bit more...
Old 10-22-2007, 09:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

I think Jay's hit it on the nose - why do they have to be separate? Make the toning part of your routine now, and see how you feel! Remember that 5lbs of muscle and 5lbs of fat look VERY different, so with the toning, you may find that you don't need to lose much/any more.
practiceliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:46 PM   #6  

Just putting it out there.... are you certain that it's actually fat that you can detect, or is it loose skin? After all, you did lose a pretty substantial amount of weight, so perhaps there is a little leftover skin - I know some people have mentioned that in other threads.

And I agree, weight loss and fitness routine don't have to be, in fact they shouldn't be, separate. But my point was, looking at your photos and stats, is that while you may still want/need to tone up, you don't necessarily want the number on the scale to go too much lower. Too skinny is not good, but I think that once you've lost a lot of weight, it's sometimes difficult to know when enough is enough. You don't want to go too far, and end up looking emaciated.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:47 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I started toning up from Day One. They DO go hand in hand, IMO. So why not get to it? The sooner the better.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:06 PM   #8  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

ih8
Well hi again. Been busy have you? I started doing walking videos and walking and aerobic videos from the beginning. Thought it was a good idea to do exercise, toning and losing weight all at the same time.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:13 PM   #9  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Start toneing and lifting now, that is just m opinion, you don't want to blow away in the wind.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:00 AM   #10  

any ideas for excercises i should do then... im a complete newbie to all this
Old 10-23-2007, 07:16 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Hey Mark,

I have the same problem in that I can pinch rolls of fat from my stomach and back, yet I can fit into some pretty small sizes and I've heard from people who know me that they don't think I should lose ay more weight. I think I do.

Anyway, I'm with the others in that you should start doing muscletone exercises - try some free weights first, as there are a lot of exercises you can do with them. I've also found that pilates is good for core toning. Start doing push ups - they are great for your arm and chest muscles and your entire body has to work to do them.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:32 AM   #12  

Height: 5'8

I've been trying to get more into toning even as I'm a little over halfway to my goal. The strength training (weight circuit at the gym) will help burn fat more efficiently. And toning will help things look better & I'm hoping either prevent or at least minimumize loose skin (my ultimate goal from when I started in May 2004 is 100 pounds). I think it's working, because even though I haven't lost much weight this summer, I have had a number of people ask me if I've lost weight/been going to they gym and my clothes are getting looser. I'm not quite ready for a size 14 yet, but I tried some on yesterday and they almost fit.

Mark, as to what you should do to tone, try some different things. Maybe you can reward yourself for all your hard work by treating yourself to some sessions with a trainer to re-evaluate your routine? That's what I'm planning on doing when I hit my goal. Have your tried (or do you like) yoga & pilates? Those help tone & increase flexibility.

I've been mainly focused on cardio & trying to get myself into a strength training routine. I'd really like to spend more time on things like yoga & pilates. That's one of my goals.

Last edited by nylisa; 10-23-2007 at 11:35 AM.
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:43 PM   #13  

If you can fit it into your budget, a few sessions with a personal trainer, to get you going, might be helpful. They can tailor a program that is doable for you, and that will help you work toward your specific goals.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:04 PM   #14  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

If you go to the gym they have machines, you can see how they work, start with those, and then try the same thing with hand weights on your own. You can do pushups, lunges, squats for now will help your arms and chest and back. Other moves are too hard for me to describe in words. You would have to have a video or someone demonstrate.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:42 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I'm also a big advocate of toning right along with losing weight.

My sister and I noticed a funny thing the other day. We were standing side by side in the mirror (trying each others clothes on lol...as you do!) and the difference was very marked.

I'm about 64kgs (141 pounds) and 5'6. My sister is 57kgs (125 pds) and 5'6.

My sister grabbed about a spare tyres worth from her stomach and she was muffin topping like a champ. I can barely pinch off a centimetre and I have no muffin top.

I weigh a good 16 pounds MORE than she does - we're the same height, not a lot of age difference and the same clothes size.

The difference is I do resistance training and have gained muscle tone. It tightens everything up and yes, you may weigh a little more but you sure don't look like you do.

On a side note - my sister doesn't want to "be fit" she thinks that the skinnier you are the better. whereas I like to fit, athletic look. We're opposites :P

Last edited by Lyria; 11-02-2007 at 10:45 PM.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote