Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-17-2007, 03:39 PM   #16  
Smoochie's Girl

S/C/G: 262/170/140

Height: 5'8"

I get the same thing-I tell them, if they ask, that I have 53lbs more pounds to lose and they look at me like I'm wacked! Tough beans!!!! If I don't fit into all of the new clothes I have been buying-I'll lose more. If you ask me-I'll tell you, but don't throw your 2 cents in if you don't like the answer.
Some people.......
Sorry, got a little too excited there...
Janny O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 160/143.5/115

Height: 5'2

When my dad asked me how much more I wanted to lose and I told him my goal weight, he said " No way that's too skinny!" My goal weight is based on a healhy BMI so I think it's reasonable!
calli707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:00 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 240/230.6/216

Height: 5'4"

The only people I've mentioned anything about this to are people who have an interest in losing weight or have gone through the weight loss process before.

As for if someone asked me what my goal is? I don't know. I honestly don't. I'm 221 pounds, I don't know what my body would look like at 150 or 130 or 110. I'll figure it out when I get to a point and decide "do I want to lose more or am I at a good weight?" Me at any of those 3 weights could look completely different than any other given person at those 3 weights and just because one person looks great at 110 doesn't mean I'd look great, and another person at 150 could look heavy and I could look perfect. It's not fair to assume that one number automatically insinuates too skinny or too heavy.
Gretchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:10 PM   #19  

Height: 5'4"

I get the, "you'll be too skinny if you lose that much" thing too. But, 150 is my goal right now. And that is still over weight for my height so I don't think going 20 more pounds or so after that is out of the question. I feel huge but I guess I hide the weight better than I think because nobody believes I even need to lose 50 let alone 70 or more.

I don't tell what I am.....you are the only ones that know. I only say, "yeah, I've lost 15 pounds so far" and if they ask how much more I want to lose I say "well, I'd like to lose about 50, we'll see how it goes." That's when the comments fly.

Oh well. I haven't been 150 since oh, you know, jr high. If that. I've been bigger all my life. So, I can't wait to get there and enjoy that number for a bit!
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

Height: 5' 5"

I've been complaining about this to my husband lately! About 20% of people have a negative reaction, usually something like "Oh, YOU don't need to lose weight! You'll be too skinny!" Of course, those people are often overweight or obese and unhappy with it. I tend to think those people had a very negative time with their weight and dieting and they think they are helping me by telling me I don't need to do anything. I just say "thanks" and ignore those people. I think most have good intentions and their own issues, but they don't help me.
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:05 PM   #21  
Queen of Everything

Height: 5'5

i don't like any weight related comments. it's one thing to say "you look great". it's another to be all flabbergasted "OMG, you're losing SO much weight!" anyway, it really really bothers me and i tend to avoid people that i know will comment like that. on past WL attempts, my aunt had the nerve to pull my clothing tight to get a better look. i walked away with a dirty look and avoided her the rest of the day. my dad is decent enough to comment behind my back. my mother, well i could weigh 50lbs and she's still tell me "well, you do have a bit of a tummy"... my sister... she'll be consumed with jealousy and start alternating bouts of starving/binging... but won't say a word to me about it.

yeah, so we have a wonderfully disfunctional little group. my husband tries to be supportive, but he's athletic and lean, and doesn't really have a clue about what it means to be fat. or how hard it is to carefully consider everything you ingest...
Mdae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:36 PM   #22  
Feeling better every day.

S/C/G: SW: 230 CW: 200 GW: 160ish

Height: 5'5"

Noone has really commented on my weight in a long time so I don't know what I'd do if I got some of the comments you all were talking about. I know that when I was in a size 10 that I felt good about myself and was able to maintain it without much effort (however I didn't own a scale so I don't know what weight I was) so 150 is just a guesstamite for me. I'll see when I get there if I want to lose more weight or maintain it. I don't want to be starving myself to stay thin, I want to be able to eat a McD's hamberger once in a while without feeling guilty!!! EASY maintenance is my main goal and where ever that falls I'll be happy!
Piiper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #23  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Why are you even discussing it? When anyone comments to me, I just smile and try to look mysterious. One woman at my Church says things like "You are wasting away!" I just tell her she's being silly. As my Mother used to say, "Personal remarks are seldom in good taste."!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:19 PM   #24  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

No one has suggested that I need to gain weight, but people do express concern that I might still be trying to lose weight. I would like to lose 4 more lbs, but to head off a big discussion about this I usually just tell people I'm maintaining. These last 4 lbs are proving to be so difficult to lose that it's practically the truth anyway.

I do have a couple of close friends that started to go into fits when they learned that I had dropped a few more pounds. I pointed out that I am currently at a healthy BMI and that my goal weight is still within a healthy BMI range, I eat a healthy amount of calories per day, and my fat/carb/protein intake is all within a healthy range. I know this, because I track everything I eat. My exercise is supervised by a professional trainer. Everything I am doing is perfectly healthy so they can just GET OFF MY BACK ABOUT IT. That shut them up.

Why do people feel like this is okay? No one, I mean no one, had fits when I was clearly overweight but somehow it's okay to have a fit when I'm at a healthy weight. If my weight was out of bounds when I was overweight than it ought to be out of bounds when I'm healthy or underweight.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote