Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 10:18 AM   #31  

I don't know, Flower, it's a circular thing ... I don't want to post if no one else is posting, b/c I feel like I'm talking to the air, but of course if everyone else feels the same way, then no one posts! I hate talking about personal stuff and then having it just hang there.

I'm leaving in about 5 minutes for my first appointment at the Opti Fast clinic. Today I have to fill in a kajillion forms, then see the doctor, have an EKG and lab work, etc. Wednesday night I meet with the nutritionist, whom I actually already know from work, which is cool, I think. Then on the 29th I meet with the clinic coordinator and pick up my "product," as she calls it (which I hate, but whatever, it's her clinic, not mine). I'll let you know how it goes.

I've been maintaining pretty steadily at 152, which does represent a 6-lb. loss since about a month ago. I think I said before I'd love to start Opti Fast at 150, but we'll see what happens. My preliminary decision is to do this for no longer than four months. Once I'm doing it, though, I may need to readjust my plans. Financially and psychologically, though, I just don't know if I could go longer than that. OK, time for me to go -- talk to you later!
Old 12-15-2001, 11:31 AM   #32  
Hot Stuff

Sorry, sorry, sorry!!!! Things have been so busy here I haven't had time or I'm just too darn tired to post. I have e-mail that's two weeks old I haven't replied to yet, too! *bad Wildfire*

I sneaked a peek on the scale this morning and it said 176! Not official until tomorrow morning, though, so I'm gonna be careful today! No salty food!

I managed to get one package and some Christmas cards in the mail yesterday. The other two packages are going to cost me a fortune to send express post, but it's my own fault for procrastinating on the shopping.

Tomorrow I have a Christmas brunch to go to at my uncle's place. My aunt is such a fabulous cook it'll be hard to stay OP, but I'm going to try. Last year she had six different quiches, salads, homemade breads, tortieres (meat pies), and an entire dessert table. I'll have a little bit of what I really want and pass on the things that I could have anytime. My favorite is the champagne and orange juice they have while socializing before the meal. Have to find something Christmasy to wear. A new sweater might be in order.

Flower, I SO hope you get this job! It sounds terrific, and like something you would really enjoy doing. I'll be lighting candles for you, too!

Ruthie, hope today goes well at the clinic. What day are you planning to start? The 29th or January 1st? I think it's good that you're establishing a time frame, even if you might adjust it as you go. Not the same thing, but when I moved here, my uncle told me to give it two years and see if I could make it work. You don't know how many times that ran through my head during those first two years. It kept me from packing and heading back east many times. When I reached the two year point, I realized he was right...I was settled and things were going well. I no longer wanted to go back east. So, just having that "four months" in the back of your mind will assist your determination to give this program a go and see if you can make it work for you.

Lamorgan, how did the dentist visit go? Oh, and yes, the dress is up for grabs! I fear an earthquake or typhoon if I wear it again! (and that would be something in Canada!)

Amyjo, those are fantastic grades!!! Don't you dare be down on yourself for one B!

Where is Summer? And Eydie has been MIA, too!

It was Sheila who was house hunting. I heard through a mutual friend that she is well, but no luck on the house yet.
Old 12-15-2001, 05:21 PM   #33  
deleted2

Hey Flower, from your diary entry it sounds like this guy is plenty interested in your having the job. Best of luck--it sounds like you're good at what you do and you enjoy it. I love it when people get their dream job!

Yeah, things are slow here. Sorry I abandoned the food journal. Want to start it up again? I'm willing. I just had a very busy 10-day run and couldn't check in as much as I wanted.
I've got the next couple of weeks off and I'd be crazy not to get myself back on track again. I have a golden opportunity, I know.
So I'm struggling along, doing pretty well--just have to watch those portions!

Old 12-15-2001, 08:11 PM   #34  

Flower, I forgot to say before -- but everyone has reminded me: good luck with the job! I wish you the best.

I was at this Opti Fast clinic for like three hours today! I had to fill out a bunch of repetitive health questionnaires, which was annoying; and a long psychological survey. Lots of questions about my current and past eating habits and weight loss history. Those questions are hard to answer b/c the weight gain is recent; I think before quitting smoking my weight went up and down like most women's does, but nothing as drastic as this. And I am a healthy eater -- I just binge eat sometimes, and snack in the evenings, and that's something I'm becoming more aware of, and hopefully the group session part of this plan will help me with that. I still don't have medical clearance b/c the doc needs to see my lab work. Hopefully this week I'll know for sure. Oh, in answer to your question Wildfire, I plan to start on the 29th.
Old 12-16-2001, 04:52 PM   #35  
Hot Stuff

Eydie, I'll start with you on a food journal tomorrow.

I did okay at the brunch. I had a small piece of quiche, a small piece of tortiere, just a bite of chocolate cheesecake, and tea. Oh, and one orange juice and champagne that I made last over an hour so I wouldn't be refilled! That's all I've eaten so far today, and plan to have soup or something light later on. Not hungry for dinner.

Ruthie, so there is a slight chance that you could be turned down for the Opti-fast program? Oh gosh, I hope that doesn't happen! You've been preparing for this and sound ready to do it, what a let-down that would be! Keeping fingers crossed for you!

This year I don't plan to say "it's the holidays, to heck with the diet" like I normally would. Christmas day is going to be my day to choose what I want, but other than that I am really going to try to stay OP. Still 176 this morning.

I have a cross-stitch calling my name to get it finished for Christmas, so I'm off.
Old 12-16-2001, 05:03 PM   #36  
deleted2

Okay, I admit it. There's this childish little sliver of me that's jealous that everybody else can have loads of green and red sugar cookies, gallons of eggnog, and every other holiday treat. The truth is I can't and it's best to just not start with such things.
Compromised by making some low-fat biscotti and fat-free brownies that I dressed up with Christmas sprinkes.
Yeah, I don't want things to fall apart just because it's Xmas! I'm eating all good stuff but for some reason my portions are bigger--gotta be more aware of that! And my water consumption is a bit off too.
Garry and I went for a walk in a nearby town today and looked at the Christmas decorations; that was fun. I've got to get into a good christmas groove---anybody have any ideas that don't involve lots of food?!

Old 12-16-2001, 05:17 PM   #37  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

I don't know how cold it is in your neck of the woods, but to a vegas chick, it is freezing out! It turned up the thermostat 2 degrees and I put a log on in the fireplace! I had to leave my cozy bed at 6 am to take Grif to the lab to make sure he didn't get a reaction to the TB test. Then at 8 am we went to the outdoor swap meet. My favorite spray paint artist is there! He makes surreal sci fi paintings in just minutes! Next time we go, I am getting one. I go a 3$ carved ornament for the tree, a star with 2001. My mom got the boys 8 pairs of socks each. Chris got himself a pair of sunglasses for 5$. Grif got a hot pretzel. (a bribe to stay in his stroller in the freezing weather) Riley bought himself a pair of sunglasses too and grandma got him jerky. Cameron talked grandma into some magic trading cards. I saw several Pagan booths. Very unexpected. It was fun. My idea of holiday shopping. Yesterday we braved an outlet mall to go the van's store to get Cameron a new skate boarding helmet. (gift-he was out skateboarding) I finished Cam up since we had the opportunity. We also went to the regular mall. Getting in was easy, getting out was a major challenge!!! I just ran into Mervyns to pick myself up some short sleeved mock turtlenecks. On sale for 6.99. If I should get the job at the Rio, I will need shirts that are inexpensive, yet look good and cover my tattoos. (no tats showing, some t-shirts show my fairy on my back) I am going to assume I have it. POSITIVE THINKING!!!!

So I got a lot of walking in the last 2 days. I put the ornaments on the tree last night. I am trying to get thru my mountain of laundry. Tomorrow is my last day at the college working for awhile. I am thankful for the holiday break. It will be nice to stay home and organize and clean. I want to plan menus out for the next month. I want to make Griffins room more fun for him. Then I have a week of visiting relatives. That I am not looking forward to. But it is part of the season I suppose. Couldn't we pick a day in another month instead of cramming a years worth of visiting in a 6 hour visit??? NONSCENCE!!!! Chat again tommorow! ~flower
Old 12-16-2001, 07:53 PM   #38  

Hey, all. Yeah, Wildfire, the fast is risky enough that you really need to be sufficiently fit before you start it, and they continue monitoring labs throughou the duration (weekly). I'm mildly anemic and my sodium and chloride were slightly low, which is weird. The doc wouldn't directly answer me as to whether or not that would rule me out. He said he wants to see the labs. I still also have to have a urinalysis and a total metabolic profile. I'll fax him the labs I do have tomorrow, and have the remainder of the tests done, hopefully also tomorrow. If he says I can't do the fast, yes, I will be VERY disappointed, but I know it would be because it would be dangerous to my health. My back-up plan might be a Slim-Fast type of thing -- or they might let me do a modified Opti Fast. We'll see what happens.
Old 12-17-2001, 01:43 PM   #39  
Must Shrink.

Hello everyone. It's raining today, had to deliver (mildly soggy) papers this morning, rain dripping down my neck, wet mittens, and my new water-proof boots chose to leak. (The fault of some very deep puddles I couldn't see in the pitch dark!) I feel as though I'm back in Vancouver,it's been so wet. Water is seeping in the basement through the cracks in the walls...

Heading over to the school soon to help with Evan's Kindergarten class. It's going to be a busy week. Finishing up all the bits of the seasonal stuff, with Morgan's birthday on Friday...

Blah. I hate being so busy. I slept so badly last night, all I want is a nap...

Good luck on the job, Flower! And the lab-results, Ruthie! And for the rest of you ~ have a great day!

L

(Next day)

Forgot to mention that my dentist apt. went well, no drilling necessary, he cemented a new piece on and as long as it sticks; all will be well! If the piece falls out then we're talking drilling etc....

Last edited by Lamorgan; 12-18-2001 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-18-2001, 09:59 AM   #40  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

Default healing thoughts required

Griffin was bit by our family bassett hound. In the face. It required 60+ stitches done by a plastic surgeon. 2 different hospitals. Lots of tears. Many hours. Can you light a healing candle or say a prayer to wish him the speediest recovery? His face is so swollen today and he can't see out of his right eye due to swelling. His mouth won't close all the way today either. It looks like the word HI carved on his face sideways. It is so sad. My poor beautiful baby. The dog has been impounded by animal control. Quarintine for 10 days and then I guess put down. I will not allow her back here. And you may not addopt an animal who has bitten in this state. Very sad... ~a very wilted flower
Old 12-18-2001, 11:02 AM   #41  
deleted2

Flower, I'm so sorry to hear about this. Absolutely I'll send prayers. Is Grif in much pain? What a horrifying thing to have happen. Take care....

Old 12-18-2001, 11:27 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

Flower ~ I am so so so so very sorry .. I really hate that for your family- I can imagine that it has to be difficult to deal with. Dealing with a family crisis and having to deal with the loss of pet is really trying. I am sending you my prayers.
~Thankfully, Grif is still really young and he probably wont remember it and it will more than likely that it will not scar that bad. From experience- after the stitches come out keep cocoa butter on it and sun screen. Cocoa butter helps the skin to heal and sunscreen keeps the scar from discoloring in the sun. More than likely the Doctor/Nurse that removes the stitches will tell you the same thing. Skye has a scar across her forehead that is close to 2 years old and you can barely see it. The first year it was pretty noticeable but now it isn't. I also went through a glass top table when I was like 2 and required many stitches in several places on my face and you can not see any of the after effects unless your realllllllly looking.
~Flower - I am not trying to play down the trauma, so I hope you don't think I am... I just want to give you some hope right now. You’re looking at your baby and see a major, major injury and it is scary to think that he will never look the same. More than likely it the wounds will heal perfectly, and if not the powers of medical miracles are amazing. I sound like I am talking out of both sides of my mouth … I am thinking of y’all. Sending you good vibes! Keep us informed. Keep positive~

Ruthie ~ Have you heard anything about your Opti-fast stuff yet? Sounds really neat, I hope it accomplishes what you’re setting out for. I think that quitting smoking has gotten alot of people overweight... make you wonder which is worse for you (just kidding) but both situations are bad for your health. I wish I could convince my mother to get on some kind of plan and stick to it. She has COPD from the smoking and she had started gaining before she stopped smoking so... after stopping up went the weight, which is not a good thing.

Wildfire ~ Sounds like you really exhibited some serious self-control at your brunch. You are doing really great. I hope I can control myself for the rest of the season. My new motto is cook it and send it to work with the DH!

Eydie ~ I think you and I ran through the semantics of how it really sucks to have to eat right before! It really does bite when you have Ms. IcaneatwhatIwant sitting next to you at a Christmas dinner and your eating healthy. But eventually it catches up with everyone.... sometime you just don't get to see it happen and gloat in the glory seeing Ms. IcaneatwhatIwant turning into her mother

Guys, I feel stuck!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going up and down and up and down and up and down. I really want to lose these last 20ish pounds but it just doesn't feel the need to depart from my body. I am still eating relatively well, I just can't get the motivation to get these last pounds gone for good. I had gotten down to 141 about 2 weeks ago and yesterday my scales were back up to 150 (not possible, has to be fluid) since I was 144 two days ago. I am so stressed. Give me some advice.

Hugs,
Amy
176/147/130
Old 12-18-2001, 12:33 PM   #43  
Must Shrink.

Oh Flower. Words won't come to express what I'm feeling, but I'm sending you some healing energy for your little one and some stregnth for you and your family.

John and I have had a few scary, scary times with child-injuries; the worst being Evan with a burn, and Foster with an eye injury. All you want to do is turn back the clock and change time.

Please look after yourself too, and don't let guilt take hold.

Lois
Old 12-18-2001, 12:54 PM   #44  

Hey flower, my prayers go out to you and yours. You will all be so much stronger for having gotten through this horrible event. My worst was when DD broke her arm at the age of 5 -- once she was in the cast and the doc said she could go back to school, I dropped her off there, gave a kiss good-bye, and then realized how relieved I was that it had happened. You worry about the worst -- your child getting injured -- and then when it happens and no one was killed or permanently disabled, you realize how grateful you are that you survived. That's the way I experienced DD's injuries, anyways.

Amy, in answer to your question -- it turns out all I still need is a urinalysis, which I'll have done Thursday. I go tomorrow night to meet the nutritionist, so if the clinic coordinator is there, I'll double check on the doc's reaction to the labs he already has (low sodium and chloride, low H&H, low red blood cells). Hopefully I'll hear soon.

Flower, let us know what's up and stop in any time for support. Give Grif a smooch for me.
Old 12-18-2001, 06:41 PM   #45  
Hot Stuff

((((Flower))))

Trust me, it looks awful, probably hurts (maybe you more than him!), it's a horrible thing to go through....but I'm betting Grif will be back to normal in a few days and his young skin will heal amazingly well. I was bitten in the face by my iguana in 1998, very deep right on the apple of my cheek, and now the scar is hardly noticeable unless the light hits my face a certain way. I bought Vitamin E capsules, popped them open with a pin and applied the sticky gel inside right to the wounds. As soon as the cuts have dried, start this. It will keep them from drying out and minimize the scarring. Or, as Amyjo suggested, try the cocoabutter. Something to keep it moist, just make sure there is no perfume/dye that might sting. I hope Grif is on antibiotics. I assume he's had tetanus in one of his booster shots recently? I had to fight to get antibiotics after a REPTILE bite....went back 24 hours later with a hugely swollen face, fever, and infection and finally got them. Hang in there, you'll all get through this. Are the boys very attached to the dog? What did the plastic surgeon tell you about Grif's projected recovery?

Ruthie, no news yet from the doc? Is it driving you mad yet? Still got my fingers crossed that all will go well.

You know, Amyjo....maybe you're at the weight that your body is meant to be. We all aren't meant to be 110-120lbs. Probably not the advice you were hoping for. Why don't you discuss it with your doctor and see what he/she thinks? Or maybe you have already? See, I know if I managed to get down to 130 I'd look gaunt and people would be asking me if I was sick. At 140 I'd probably be in a size 10 and with my height at 5'8" that would be thin. Why do you have that particular goal in mind? Is it the high end or low end of your recommended range?

Gotta run, dinner has arrived. Flower, let us know how Grif is doing.
Closed Thread