Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-17-2007, 10:46 AM   #16  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolva77 View Post
Thanks so much for your kind words.
I have another question, why the lowfat, fatfree dairy.
Is fat really that bad?
Well, mostly because I'm a calorie snob. The lower in fat a food is, the fewer the calories, in most cases. That and I watch saturated fat VERY carefully.

Some people, however, prefer the fuller-fat versions of, say, milk and cheese because they think it tastes better. I'm so used to eating fat-free everything that it doesn't bother me. Although I drink 1% milk instead of skim. I just think it tastes better.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:48 AM   #17  

Thanks!! your words are gold to me, it is hard for my hubby to understand me... I have been on a diet forever!!! and I am tired, and heavier... I am going off my diet and into my healthy lifestyle (and running i love it) right now!
carolva77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:49 AM   #18  

it looks for me is sugar...the evil, but the sugar from fruits and whole grains is what I miss the most... people cant leave in meat and vegetables alone
Old 04-17-2007, 10:50 AM   #19  
LLV

Quote:
Thanks!! your words are gold to me, it is hard for my hubby to understand me... I have been on a diet forever!!! and I am tired, and heavier... I am going off my diet and into my healthy lifestyle (and running i love it) right now!
I agree with Rock Chalk Chick, it's about finding your own balance. And yeah, it takes time. I went on 100,000 diets. I "dieted" my way to 220 pounds. Once I dropped the diets, started counting calories, got out of the "diet" mentality and started eating healthier, that's when the weight began to come off.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:52 AM   #20  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I also believe on improvement and not perfection. I'm constantly trying to improve my eating habits.

When I first started, I cut down on the type of foods I ate but I didn't watch my portions. Then I found out as I progressed that I needed to watch my portions. Then I decided that I needed to incorporate more whole foods into my diet while cutting out certain high calorie dinners out.

My eating habits of today are different from my eating habits of a year ago and eating habits of the year before that and the year before yet. I'm really slowly trying to progress rather than to change everything at once. Most recently, I've decided to cut out most meat from my diet. It doesn't mean that I can't have meat if I want it but I'm not really wanting meat right now. The same thing with dairy, I decided to cut out most of it as well. If I craved a steak though, I'd get a steak although I'd make sure it was a small portion of one rather than a large one.

You will also find that your taste buds change when you improve your diet. I used to crave ice cream and chocolate all the time but now I only like an occassional ice cream and if I'm eating chocolate, it has to be good stuff and dark. I used to not eat a lot of veggies but now I eat lots and lots of veggies. I no longer want to eat gooey ooey sweets, I no longer want to eat fried foods, I no longer want to eat fatty foods. Of course there are certain things I like as special treats such as really good chocolate cake or really good cheesecake. Then again, it is about portion control when it comes to those occassional special treats.

One thing to remember is to not beat yourself up if you eat something you weren't planning to eat. Improvement not perfection
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:56 AM   #21  

Thanks! I love to exercise, but the restrictions of Atkins (great woe btw) played in my head like a sentence
Old 04-17-2007, 10:57 AM   #22  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I also believe on improvement and not perfection. I'm constantly trying to improve my eating habits.

When I first started, I cut down on the type of foods I ate but I didn't watch my portions. Then I found out as I progressed that I needed to watch my portions.
That's right. Because we can eat way more than we need without realizing it. I was doing the same thing. I was saying, "But I'm eating healthy, watching portions, cutting fat and sugar, blah blah blah, and I'm still not losing any weight!"

Well, healthy food has calories too and I was simply eating too much. Once I started logging my calories, I was shocked at how many I was eating per day when I ASSUMED I was eating healthy enough to lose weight. Yes, I was eating healthy. But I was still taking in more calories than my body needed.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:58 AM   #23  
LLV

Quote:
Thanks! I love to exercise, but the restrictions of Atkins (great woe btw) played in my head like a sentence
I'm not going to be an Atkins basher, but I don't believe in these diets. It's simply another means of restricting yourself and I don't believe in restricting certain food groups. I can't speak for everyone because I know some people, because of health reasons, need to watch their glycemic foods - but I've lost nearly 90 pounds and I still eat rice, pasta and potatoes.

~GASP~

Yes, it's true! Don't faint!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:04 AM   #24  

WOW LLV You are my hero.... My problem is as I said, I luv to run, but I was running on empty, carbs (the good ones) are for energy. I had none.
And it was getting really bad, because ketosis made me insomniac, so tired and I cant sleep. Atkins is great just not for me.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:06 AM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
I'm not going to be an Atkins basher, but I don't believe in these diets. It's simply another means of restricting yourself and I don't believe in restricting certain food groups. I can't speak for everyone because I know some people, because of health reasons, need to watch their glycemic foods - but I've lost nearly 90 pounds and I still eat rice, pasta and potatoes.

~GASP~

WHAT DO YOU DO FOR EXERCISE?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
I've lost nearly 90 pounds and I still eat rice, pasta and potatoes.

~GASP~

Get this...I've lost 83 pounds and not only do I eat rice, pasta, and potatoes...I also eat bread! And I probably have high-fructose corn syrup every day and guess what? It doesn't trigger an enormous eating binge like everyone tells me it will!! I'm a miracle of science, my friends. A miracle.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:14 AM   #27  
LLV

Quote:
WOW LLV You are my hero.... My problem is as I said, I luv to run, but I was running on empty, carbs (the good ones) are for energy. I had none.
And it was getting really bad, because ketosis made me insomniac, so tired and I cant sleep. Atkins is great just not for me.
I honestly don't believe it's good for ANYONE, but keep in mind that this is just my personal opinion. I just don't believe in restricting food groups. All that is is another form of deprivation.

Quote:
WHAT DO YOU DO FOR EXERCISE?
I love Pilates. I don't work out hard. I don't lift weights or jog every day or bust my butt in a gym. I do Pilates exercises (I have a Pilates DVD) and housework.

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie71 View Post
Get this...I've lost 83 pounds and not only do I eat rice, pasta, and potatoes...I also eat bread! And I probably have high-fructose corn syrup every day and guess what? It doesn't trigger an enormous eating binge like everyone tells me it will!! I'm a miracle of science, my friends. A miracle.
*FAINT*

LOL

This is terrible! We must be punished and thrown into the dungeon!

But yep, I eat bread too. Just about every day. Of course most of the bread I eat is whole grain, but I have the occasional plain white bun (another gasp moment) when I make a sandwich. Usually when I have my Boca burgers.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:17 AM   #28  

Ladies who are you and how did you do it? I have not had bread in months.... or years maybe.
Ketosis, I dont know. I know I cant sleep when I am in deep ketosis.
Besides that, people on atkins do eat a lot of veggies but fruits are very far away and bread, almost in maintenance and I cant keep going like that. I just want 2 -3 WASA crackers a day....
Old 04-17-2007, 11:32 AM   #29  
LLV

Quote:
Ladies who are you and how did you do it?
Well, for me, and many of us here, it was calorie-counting. If there's one thing I've learned in this little journey of mine, it's that carbs don't make you fat; excess calories make you fat.

Many of us here use fitday.com to log our food. You simply put in what you've eaten and how much and fitday keeps track of calories, fats, carbs, protein, nutrients, etc. You can also log your exercise to see how many calories you're burning.

Find an online calorie calculator. One that asks you to enter your weight, height, age, sex and activity level. It will tell you how many calories you need per day to MAINTAIN your current weight. To lose 1-2 pounds a week (you don't want to try and lose any faster than that) you simply subtract 500 calories from your total.

For example, say it tells you that you need 2200 calories a day to stay at the weight you are now. Subtract 500 from that. You get 1700 calories. That's the range you should stay at to lose. Then you use fitday to make sure you don't go over 1700. And you'll start losing weight.

It's not an exact science, these are only estimates. And it's not something that's going to happen overnight. It took me a little over 2 years to lose my weight. But then I had a lot to lose.

Calorie-counting doesn't work for everyone and everyone uses their own methods. But that's how you find what works for you, you try out different things. We didn't all come to these final conclusions overnight. It takes time. And like nelie said, it's forever changing
Old 04-17-2007, 11:36 AM   #30  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I personally don't eat much bread or pasta mostly because it tends to have a lot of calories for small portions I also have insulin issues (hypoglycemia, PCOS) so I do tend to watch my carbs a bit but not too much. I found a nice bread yesterday from Trader Joe's that has 40 calories per slice, although it isn't too far off from my normal 50 calorie per slice bread.

I eat two pieces of fruit per day. I usually eat an apple during the day and an orange at night. I also recently bought a cereal so I could snack on during the day.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote