Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-18-2007, 09:35 AM   #16  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I eat the same breakfast every single morning. I love it and it's staying - for now. Lunch is almost always the same, like 95% of the time. Dinner varies for me the most. But is always basically the same types of food. Some kind of white meat chicken or fish with tons and tons of either veggies or a salad. Although I do change the vegetables around, cooking methods, and spices. My snacks are basically the same as well.

I know the calorie counts of everything I am eating and it makes it very easy to plan and shop and stay on track. It helps me to stay in control. Staying on plan is of the utmost of importance to me. I love everything that I am eating and see no need to switch it up at this time. Although I do tweak here and there every now and then and am definitely open to doing so in the future. But for now, I am sticking to what works - for me that is.

And Tara, I see no need why you should do any different either, provided of course you are getting proper nutrition. If this is what makes you happy and satisfied, more power to you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Tara, I'd get a bit bored, but it obviously works for you. A bit more variety might be ideal from a nutritional standpoint, but your menu is, overall, much healthier than a LOT of people's is.

Zelma wondered if you are eating enough, and I noticed that your current weight is actually below your goal weight. Are you maintaining, or is your weight continuing to creep down? Because you want to eat enough that you don't get too thin!
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #18  
Keeping It Simple

S/C/G: 185/178.5/115

Height: 5' 2"

Tara, it's funny that you would post about this because I also eat the same thing every day and have wondered if that's weird. For me it works because I like what I'm eating and don't feel deprived or have to choke down foods I don't like. I've been consistently losing about 2 lbs per week so I guess it's working. Funny how some people prefer "routine" to "variety".
DayByDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:25 PM   #19  
Sexy American Girlfriend!

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5"7"

I don't see any dark green leafies listed in your diet. I think you need more fruit and veggies, not only for the nutrients, but also the fiber.

And you're not getting much protein. If you're working out and trying to build or maintain muscle, I think you need more protein.

I eat almost the same thing every day too:

B: 1c oatmeal, 3 egg whites (with one yolk)
S: SF yogurt, fruit (varies)
L: Chicken, brown rice, salad and an apple
S: Rice cakes and peanut butter
D: Chicken, salad and/or veggies, and 1/4 avocado

Pretty much the only things that vary are the type of fruit, whey protein instead of yogurt, or lean beef instead of chicken for dinner. But I've got all my bases covered. And I throw in a V8 if I'm hungry between meals. It's very low cal, gives me some good vitamins, and adds another serving of veggies. I also take a multivitamin.

(PS - I'm not eating much dairy, wheat or sugar on the advice of my PT.)

Last edited by BeezKnees; 03-18-2007 at 09:56 PM.
BeezKnees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:25 PM   #20  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

I think it's also important to point out that, while you may think you're getting all the vitamins and minerals your body needs through a vitamin supplement, you're likely not absorbing nearly as much as what you need - and what you'd normally be absorbing by eating a variety of fresh fruits and veggies. When you take a vitamin or mineral supplement, your body doesn't absorb it as well.

Liquid vitamins often absorb a bit better, but even then you can't be sure you're getting everything you need. I had this discussion with one of the dieticians at work the other day (I work at a hospital).
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #21  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

To answer a few more questions...

I'm not trying to lose weight anymore, and my weight is pretty stable on my current calorie intake.

I get at least 71 grams of protein a day, so I think that's enough. I'm not trying to gain muscle...I'm pretty naturally muscular, so I'm not trying to add to that!

My 2 to 2 1/2 cups of mixed veggies in my dinner is a broccoli stir-fry mix. Does broccoli count as a dark green veggie?

It has been interesting to hear that I'm not the only one who has done this. Like I said before, I've always had runs where I eat the same food for a period of time, but nothing ever to this extent. I must say it is very cost effective -- my grocery bill is probably around $20/week.

BTW, I started this when I was not working (and thus poor and trying to save some cash)...Not that saving money was the main motivator for my food choices -- it just was a nice side effect. Now that I'm working again, I just have found that I like the food, and though I can afford to eat differently, I don't have a strong desire to.

Maybe part of this is that over the last year I have learned to see food as fuel (that also tastes good) and less as a source of emotional happiness, so I don't mind eating the same thing every day. Hmmm...
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:38 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I consider broccoli a cruciferous vegetable, not a leafy green. Spinach actually wilts very nicely, I throw it in stir fries all the time. Occasionally adding spinach or sugar snap peas/snow peas or maybe some slivered almonds/cashews would open three new food groups for you (leafy greens, beans and more nuts besides peanuts). You also don't eat anything orange...I think beta/alpha carotene are important. You can add cubed butternut squash/sweet potato, orange pepper strips or carrots to your stir fry. Mango is also surpisingly good in stir fry.

You've pretty much answered every argument with a reason why you should keep keep doing what you're doing, I don't really think you want to be dissuaded, you really want support to keep doing what you're doing. Except for the fruit thing (there are so many beneficial properties to fruit) I agree with an earlier poster, you probably eat healthier foods than a large portion of the US population. I don't think you eat enough: protein, fruits, vegetables, healthy fats but if you like it, do what you want to do
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:19 PM   #23  
LLV

I look at it this way, if you're not bored and you like the foods you eat, then I wouldn't worry about it. I go through phases myself where I eat the same things all the time. And I eventually get bored with it and move on to something else. I'm sure there are lots of people that don't get enough fruits and vegetables and I'm one of them. I only eat 1200 calories a day, so it's not easy squeezing in all of the foods I SHOULD be eating into that small of an amount.

I eat what I like and leave it at that and I don't really worry too much about it.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:05 PM   #24  

I'd just like to point out that adding more veggies to your day won't increase your caloric content enough that it should dissuade you.

Most veggies have under 50 calories per serving. Some have so few calories that you burn them off simply by chewing!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:12 PM   #25  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Tara!

I read that Jennifer Aniston ate the EXACT SAME SALAD with all the same ingredients every lunchtime during the entire run of Friends. That's what...seven years, nine years? If SHE can eat the same thing, YOU can, too! She's GORGEOUS!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:23 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

My personal opinion I don't see anything wrong with it. I go on food streaks all the time. I don't see it as that big of a deal.

I was wondering if you could post the recipe for your curry stir fry? It sounds good and I'm always looking for something new.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:30 PM   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl14 View Post
Hi Tara!

I read that Jennifer Aniston ate the EXACT SAME SALAD with all the same ingredients every lunchtime during the entire run of Friends. That's what...seven years, nine years? If SHE can eat the same thing, YOU can, too! She's GORGEOUS!

Cheryl
Yeah, but it was salad! She got her green leafies!
Old 03-18-2007, 11:18 PM   #28  

This is from the original post:

Quote:
stir fry-type veggie mix in a curry simmer sauce over rice (at least two cups of veggies are in my serving, and the sauce is also tomato-based)
Two cups of mixed vegetables is a LOT of vegetables. There's no unique magic in spinach.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:31 PM   #29  

The point is, she's not getting enough variety to best maintain her health, according to the USDA. I really don't understand the wave of strong resistance to the suggestion that she add protein, fruit and dark green leafy veggies to her diet. It's a proven fact that we need certain nutrients in order to maintain our health. She's not getting some of them. Not good.

Last edited by BeezKnees; 03-18-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:38 AM   #30  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeezKnees View Post
The point is, she's not getting enough variety to best maintain her health, according to the USDA. I really don't understand the wave of strong resistance to the suggestion that she add protein, fruit and dark green leafy veggies to her diet. It's a proven fact that we need certain nutrients in order to maintain our health. She's not getting some of them. Not good.
Well I really think it's hard to argue with success. And Tara is most certainly successful in her goal to obtain a healthy weight. This is what is working for her now.

I don't eat almonds. I can't control myself with them. I'm missing out on some healthy fats. I DO eat jello sugar free pudding WITH Splenda in it. Is that optimal? NO? Could I improve that? Yes. But for now I'm sticking to it. It is what is keeping me on plan and allowing me to lose the weight. WHICH I THINK OUTWEIGHS EVERYTHING ELSE RIGHT NOW. And I think this is what Tara is going through as well. Tara is doing just fine.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote