Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-07-2007, 03:09 PM   #16  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

While I somewhat agree with QuilterInVA, I'd like to add to it a bit. Scientifically speaking, losing weight is calories in vs. calories out. So technically, calorie counting as a weight loss method WILL work over the long run. I've seen it work many, many times. Just have a look at a lot of the success stories right here on 3FC. However, most people would find it very very difficult to stick with a diet/lifestyle change/whatever you want to call it over the long haul if they weren't careful about how they spent their calories. For example, simply calorie counting COULD mean to some people that they can use their daily allowance of calories all on junk food all day... just eating less than before. However, it wouldn't keep them satisfied and allow them to have a balanced diet that gives them all of the nutrients and fiber they need. Most people figure out fairly quickly that if they want to be able to stick to it, they need to make sure that they get in a balance of lean protein, whole grains, veggies, fruits, etc. in order to stay satisfied and healthy, which is why many people try to have a certain ratio of what their calories go to... fats, carbs, and protein. Personally, I'm in the moderation camp. For example, if skittles are your absolute favorite candy and you just don't know how you'll go on living without eating them, then I think you should allow yourself to have a few every once in a while so that you don't dump your diet altogether one day because you're fed up with not being able to eat the things you love. Also, it is possible to live quite happily without high fructose corn syrup, however many people may find it difficult to give it up completely considering it's a staple sweetener in the U.S. Thankfully, many whole foods stores carry sweets (candy, soda, etc.) that don't use HFCS, and instead use more natural sources. Whew... I hope this thread doesn't become a soap box battle... lol.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:42 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Lindsey did a much better job of making the point I was trying to make. Moderation, moderation, moderation. No one believes her body would respond well to 1400 calories worth of Oreos and nothing else all day. One Oreo thrown in the mix, along with a bunch of healthy food? No problem. (Not for me, though -- I've always thought Oreos were disgusting).
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:52 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I avoid HFCS at all costs. It inhibits the chemical/hormone that helps our body realize that it's full. I figure it's not going to help with weight loss, but hurt. I haven't read up on all the other "evils" of HFCS, but just that one fact was enough for me.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:29 PM   #19  
Working My Way Back Down

I find it very had to avoid HFCS 100%, but I live (and shop) and a small town in a state that basically imports ALL its food. We have only "mainstream" grocery stores with limited health food/organic selections (though they're getting better). Nothing like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. 50 miles away in Anchorage there is an oriental grocery that has some non-HFCS products.

I do eat mainly whole foods, and for the rest I read labels and try to choose those where HFCS is way down the list of ingredients.

I also think some people are more susceptible to sugar and HFCS than others. I've never been a heavy sweets eater - not a lot of candy, sodas, etc. Eating something sweet doesn't usually set me up for cravings for more. But it does my DH - he worked very hard to kick a bad candy bar habit.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyLouWho View Post
Personally, I'm in the moderation camp. For example, if skittles are your absolute favorite candy and you just don't know how you'll go on living without eating them, then I think you should allow yourself to have a few every once in a while so that you don't dump your diet altogether one day because you're fed up with not being able to eat the things you love.
Yeah, I guess this is pretty much how I feel. Obviously if you're determined, you'll be able to cut out hfcs for the most part- It just doesn't fit into my lifestyle- I find that when I make drastic food related changes, I have problems sticking to it and end up as you say LindseyLouWho, dumping my diet, and binging. I like a diet soda, or a 100 cal snack pak at work- they actually help curb my cravings I think- it satisfies my sweet tooth without making me feel guilty, you know?
VelVeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:22 PM   #21  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelVeeta View Post
I read Northern Belles explanation of hfcs and I'm having a hard time figuring why it is so bad- I love sugar, but eat it in moderation (or try to anyways!) so why not take the same approach with hfcs?
I believe this was Northern Belle's point: The reason it's bad (particularly in regards to trying to lose weight) is that it basically does not allow your body to tell when it's full. You can eat HFCS junk all day long and never feel satisfied because of how it reacts in your body. Therefore, a diet typically high in HFCS is also typically higher in calories than a healthier diet because you don't feel full as easily so you keep eating more.

But yeah, a little bit here or there won't kill anyone (unless you're allergic to corn, I guess--are there people who are allergic to corn?).

There has also been a study of the effects of HFCS on rats--it ended with extremely obese rats who actually lost the use of their hind legs and became quite covered with malignant tumors. The accuracy of the study is questionable, though, and I don't believe it has been duplicated.

In any case, it's enough for me to make sure I choose HFCS-free everyday products--for example, I make sure my bread products (like sliced whole-grain bread, pitas, pizza crusts, hamburger/hotdog buns, etc.) are made with a natural sweetener (like honey), and that anything that does contain HFCS is used very sparingly (although I actually can't think of anything I use regularly that contains HFCS--there are so many healthier alternatives available nowadays that I find I can usually find a version of whatever it is I need that does not contain HFCS).

Losing weight is hard enough--why keep eating something that will only make it harder on me? But, to each her own...just like diet soda--I drink it daily, but others insist it impedes their weight loss attempts. I don't see any negative side effects of it personally, so I keep on a-drinkin'.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:51 PM   #22  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

I agree with Brandnewme - that book The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael is a real eye-opener. Regarding HFCS, it is more than just a question about its nutritional composition and use by our body. If it was just that I wouldn't be all that fazed by it. But it is a question of who are our dollars supporting when we buy it; who is profiting; what is the impact on our land and on the business of agriculture? With that info, I do not want to support that industry. I recommend the book; and I do not think it is dry but excellently written.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:19 PM   #23  
hara hachi bu

I'm reading The Omnivore's Dilemma right now, and it's an eye-opening book that is making a huge impact on my food choices. I agree - in spite of how good or bad HCFS is for you, corn in general is an over-utilized commodity and it's doing bad things to our planet.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote