Old 12-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #46  

Eggplant. I've tried it boiled, broiled, fried, baked, in soups, stews, and casseroles...it's just nasty! And I can only eat collard greens if they're cooked with ham or bacon, which cuts those out.

Oh, and okra. I've never tried it, but my grandmother put one in the microwave when I was a kid, and it exploded out at me when I opened the door. Scared the ever-lovin' crap out of me (I thought it was a bug), and I've never been able to convince myself to try it.

Everything else is fair game, though.

Last edited by mcflubber; 12-28-2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
mcflubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 198.6 / 192.4 / under 150

Height: 5'5"

Let's see... is there a limit to post length?

Veggies I hate no matter what:
peas
onions
tomatoes
green beans (I'll gag at even just the smell of it!)
squash (any kind, unless it's pumpkin pie. LOL)
avocado (although if it's a tiny bit in sushi I can eat it)
Brussels sprouts
zucchini
yams
artichoke
eggplant
peppers
Hmm... I know there are more I can't remember now. If it's not on one of the other lists, assume it should be on this one.

Veggies I'll tolerate ONLY if raw:
broccoli
cauliflower
celery
carrots
lettuce (and by raw on this one, I mean in something cold. I can't stand it when they put lettuce on a hot sandwich. It just gets all slimy. YUCK!)

Veggies I like no matter what:
potatoes
corn

... yeah. Weight loss is hard for me.

Last edited by mizzie; 12-30-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: i can't spell
mizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #48  
Explorer

S/C/G: 188/170/163

Height: 5'9''

What is it about the texture of vegetables that you don't like? I'm very curious, because the big variety in the texture of vegetables is what I enjoy so much. It's interesting to see how differently different people think.

Can you tell me?
graatsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #49  
Explorer

S/C/G: 188/170/163

Height: 5'9''

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflubber View Post
Eggplant. I've tried it boiled, broiled, fried, baked, in soups, stews, and casseroles...it's just nasty! And I can only eat collard greens if they're cooked with ham or bacon, which cuts those out.

Oh, and okra. I've never tried it, but my grandmother put one in the microwave when I was a kid, and it exploded out at me when I opened the door. Scared the ever-lovin' crap out of me (I thought it was a bug), and I've never been able to convince myself to try it.

Everything else is fair game, though.
Oooh, I had exactly the same problem but I kept on trying until I found a solution and now eggplant is one of my favorite vegetables if not the number one yummy!

The trick that works for me is to barbeque or otherwise cook it very thourougly in a very hot oven with some fat.

A recipe for making eggplant delicious (if it doesn't work then you can officially say that you hate eggplant):
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut ends off eggplant and cut it in half lenghtwise. With the tip of a knife, score the flesh deeply in a diamond cross-hatch pattern. Put the halves on a pan, pour some soy sauce over them and smear about 1 tsp of pesto across each half. Roast in oven for about 40min or until soft and tender (try poking it with a fork to make sure).

If this doesn't work, nothing will :P
graatsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #50  

Brocoli
stan255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

I cannot tolerate okra, because it always tastes slimy to me. I like cucumbers and green bell peppers, but they do not like me! I avoid both, and substitute red, yellow or orange bell peppers for the green. One sliver of either will give me severe stomach/gas/burping problems.

I cannot think of any other vegetable I do not like.
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #52  
Changing my life

S/C/G: '09HW337 '11SW 314.0/266.6/155

Height: 5' 6"

Raw tomatoes, but if mixed in pico de gallo I love em.
Okra, other than fried, and that makes it not really a veggie.
rachaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:58 AM   #53  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I think all of mine are texture things rather than taste things. Water chestnuts and raw celery. *shudder* And most beans. I've come to kind of like or at least tolerate fresh green beans, black beans and chickpeas, but otherwise I can't really do beans. And the smell of canned green beans still makes me sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry4Health View Post
Two Words:

Baby
Corn
Yeah, it freaks me out too.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #54  
吃多一点,吃少一点

S/C/G: >29" / 25.5" / <=25"

Height: 5' 3.5"

I can only think of a few vegetables I don't like, and even then it depends on how they're cooked.
-Eggplant: Sometimes cooked into a dish it's nice, particularly if it's served up spicy. But other times it's got this utterly noxious, fart-like taste that takes so much water to get washed out of my mouth.
-Mushrooms: Depends highly on how they're prepared. Raw mushrooms are way too intense. Sometimes cooked mushrooms are okay, but other times they take on a really rank flavor. Nutritionally, I don't feel like I'm missing out on much, anyway.
-Raw broccoli: I LOVE cooked broccoli, but eating the stuff raw is too tough to chew. Plus it always results in little green bits in my teeth.
-Uncooked tofu: I saw one of my co-workers eating dried tofu rolls straight, so I thought I'd take a little nibble off the end of one to see how it went. The first word to come into my mind was ballsweat. Enough said.
-Brussels sprouts without the centers carefully removed, and without a whole ton of roasting: The amount of roasting required to make these tasty feels like it destroys the phytonutrients that make veggies so valueable.
-Cucumber, sometimes: I don't know why, but I sometimes find the taste of straight cucumber to be really nasty. I always throw it into a salad, and it's fantastic with the dressing. During college, I had a Chinese room mate who would stir-fry chicken and cucumber (a vegetable that doesn't seem amenable at all to being cooked), and it would make the whole kitchen stink of something unidentiable and highly unpleasant.

I think that's it. I do really like vegetables of almost all sorts, although I've been shying away from some of these melon-like Chinese vegetables.
xiaobaicai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #55  
KakeJ

S/C/G: 295/195/175

Height: 5'91/2"

Okra, I tried and tried. I can eat almost all other veggies, but OKRA. Just not gonna work.
kakeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #56  
Nutritarian

S/C/G: 289/257.8/125

Height: 5'4"

I think I liked beets as a small kid but now I find them repulsive.
Laifierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #57  
Stevia Nicks

S/C/G: HW334/SW314/CW304/GW170

Height: 5'11"

Zucchini, eggplant, okra, baby corn (it doesn't even taste like corn!), and radishes. Oh, and turnips and parsnips. Ick!!

All other veggies are divine in my book (or rather, on my tongue). Yams, peas, avocados, onions, mushrooms, artichokes, beets, carrots, water chestnuts, beans of all sorts, and broccoli are my faves, though. I can (and frequently do) eat these daily and never tire of them.
Luceia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:16 AM   #58  
Sam-I-Am

S/C/G: 324/see ticker/170

Height: 5'8

baby corn
water chestnuts
bamboo shoots (dont know if thats a veggie)
brussell sprouts
raw carrots
celery
beets
pickles
olives

pretty much anything with a less than desirable texture

ive never even tried baby corn. i cant even look at it without being grossed out

i also hate pickles and olives to the point that if it even touches my food, i can tell, and i cant eat the meal. it wont even be on the plate, but my spidey senses can tell when pickles and olives have been on my plate
samcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 264/216.6/160

Height: 5'2"

I'm not fond of bitter tasting vegetables, or what my perceptions of bitter tasting vegetables are, so here is my list;

Brussel sprouts
Peppers; red, yellow, green
Celery

I'll give all most anything a try, but those three can't pass these lips.
Iyakamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #60  
Every step is progress.

S/C/G: 297/221/175

Height: 5'11"

can only eat raw:
Lettuces, baby spinach, carrots, celery, cucumbers, cauliflower, broccoli, sugar-snap peas, snow peas,

can only eat cooked: asparagus, tomatoes, yams, potatoes, all other peas, green beans, corn, brussel sprouts (only if sauted with garlic), g/y/r peppers, onions, artichokes, baby corn, bean sprouts

I'm not eating it regardless: Eggplant, squash, zucchini, mushrooms, okra, collared greens, beets, cabbage, turnips, parsnips, bamboo shoots, all other legumes.

I keep coming back to squash, I keep trying it, my friend makes a mean spaghetti squash, but thats the only way I can stomach it.

Some stuff like raw tomatoes and mushrooms are more texture than anything
RandomPaige is offline   Reply With Quote