Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 09:14 AM   #16  
Opulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods
I once had a short story that was published in a woman's magazine. The story had a fairy tale weight loss theme, and I refered to curds and whey as "fairy tale brand cottage cheese."

Old 11-08-2005, 09:54 PM   #17  

Hi,
I'm vegan! I think it's great to find a diet forum that actually takes vegetarians and vegans into account.

I'm trying to lose about 50 lbs, and I'd be interested in talking about losing weight as a vegan with you all!

Darby
Old 11-08-2005, 10:14 PM   #18  
Opulent

OH MY GODDESS! A VEGAN I can't believe it! How cool is that? I would love to chat with you sometime
Old 11-09-2005, 12:52 PM   #19  

I'd love to chat. I don't know that I have an im account set up on this computer, but I will ask my husband, as he is the techno geek in the family.

How long have you been vegan? It'll be 5 years for me on 1 January. Hard to believe. I was vegetarian for a year before that, but I gained a LOT of weight. I felt like I had to eat lots of dairy for my lack of animal proteins. Turns out I'm lactose intolerant! Go figure.

Anyway, I'd love to talk to you.

Darby
Old 11-10-2005, 02:59 AM   #20  

Howdy--I'm mostly vegan (sometimes I let some dairy/egg ingredients slip in) and have lost about 40 lbs. (33 to go)! Vegetarian Times has a lot of good vegan recipes in their magazine (you can also sign up to receive recipes via e-mail). They include all the nutritional information so it's easy to calculate points.

Good luck, all you veg*ns--keep up the good work!
Old 11-10-2005, 08:23 AM   #21  
Opulent

Darby, I was veg before and gained weight too! I ate so many bean and cheese burritos with guacamole and so much mac n' cheese :eek!: Most everyone has an intolerance to dairy, when it comes down to it, especially pasteurized, commercial stuff.

Congrats on your upcoming veganniversary! I have been vegan 6 years and there's no going back. Once I discovered the truth about the animal industry, there was no other option and the health benefits were just a bonus

Mamakaydee, thanks for the tips! I subscribe to veg times and have written them to ask for more vegan recipes to be included...it would make sense for every recipe to have a L/O and a vegan adaptation, wouldn't it? I didn't know about the online thing;I will definetly look into that, thanks!

Congrats on the weight loss, everyone and remember to eat your beans and greens
Old 11-10-2005, 08:34 PM   #22  

Yogini, that's exactly how things worked out for me. I became vegan for ethical reasons, and I didn't even realize how many other benefits I would get from it. I I haven't been sick in the 5 years I've been vegan. I've never been the sickly type, but I haven't even had the sniffles. It' great! Is anyone else in your family vegan? My husband is vegetarian, but our house is strictly vegan, and he'll have cheese or whatever if we go out. He seems to be getting away from that too.

I agree that veg times should offer more vegan options. I quit buying it for that reason. I do have lots of cookbooks, though, so I'll never run out of recipes to try. I took a look at your soup recipe, and I that I'm going to have to try that out this weekend!

Have a great night!

Darby
Old 11-12-2005, 01:50 AM   #23  

If Veg Times doesn't float your boat, an alternative is the all-vegan cooking & nutrition magazine Vegetarian Journal, put out by the Vegetarian Resource Group - vrg.org. I don't like the recipes as much as the vegan ones in VT, but perhaps others will. VRG is a *fantastic* source of information on vegan nutrition--their website has lots of great articles.

I also love reading Veg News. Not a ton of recipes (although the ones they have are vegan), but lots of great articles about living a veg*n life.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:24 AM   #24  

Is the Vegetarian Resource Group part of PCRM? I just did a research paper on veganism and quoted the VRG. I should try their magazine. I just got a new cookbook yesterday, so I imagine that will keep me pretty busy for a while. It's La Dolce Vegan by Sarah Kramer. There are a lot of good and healthy recipes in there, but also a lot of yummy desserts too, which I will have to try to avoid!

I also get a quite few recipes from vegsource.com and vegweb.com.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:57 PM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby1
Is the Vegetarian Resource Group part of PCRM?
No, VRG and PCRM are two different nonprofit organizations. I actually trust VRG's research more than PCRM's.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:12 AM   #26  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

My dad's big complaint is that most of the recipes he finds are for 4, 6 & 8 people or most of them involve cheese and/or pasta. He says there is only so much of that you can eat before getting sick of it or gaining the weight back.

He is part of the reason why I started searching for cooking for 1 or 2 people recipes and ones that were easy. I figured if I could come up with some to give him then I would post them here too.

I have also noticed that there are not a lot of recipes for vegan meals in the magazines either. I've been looking for those for him too as he would like to cut back on the cheese and carbs.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:38 PM   #27  
Opulent

What does your dad like to eat? I'll find some good vegan recipes for him
Old 11-27-2005, 02:51 PM   #28  
deleted2

I'm a committed vegetarian [22 years] but lately I find myself wanting to try more vegan stuff because it seems that I depend on dairy a lot and want to get away from that. I had a great time looking thru soem of my vegan cookbooks last night and am feeling inspired!

Old 11-28-2005, 12:47 PM   #29  
Losing and TTC'ing

Default newbie

Hi all! I'm new here and new to being vegan. My husband and I both began a vegan lifestyle last week (today is the completion of week one). In the first week, I lost 6.5 pounds. I know that is unusual and it will slow down.
I'd like to be a part of this forum for support and accountability.
Annie
Old 12-17-2005, 12:21 PM   #30  
Vegan in Training

Default Vegan in Cali

I'm new to the forums (as of this week), and I'm wondering if anyone would like to be buddies with me too?

Try contacting me by AIM/Yahoo messenger: GaiaLove630 (same thing for both, except caps)

Thanks.

Glad to find some veggie pals!!
Closed Thread