Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 09:31 PM   #1  
Eat less, taste more

S/C/G: 179/166/128

Default Veggie Appetizer Recipes??

For Christmas every year my family gets together and instead of having a whole big meal we just have appetizers and desserts. Being a meat eating family most of the dishes are meat oriented (meat balls, chicken wings...pretty much anything to do with bacon ).

Since I don't have much of a taste for meat anymore and I'm chickening out on telling my family that I'm not really eating meat I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for appetizers that are not meat oriented but also not "too veggie" ie: no tofu sticks with lima bean sauce .

I'm thinking maybe stuffed mushroom caps? A creamcheese dip with veggies? Something that incorporates a meat substitue so that a meat eater wouldn't notice it would also be great too...for a laugh

Thanks,

Casey
Old 12-19-2005, 06:04 PM   #2  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Yes, stuffed mushrooms! You can make them with margarine and crackers, plus some seasonings.

If you eat cheese, you could make a warm cheese and veggie dip.

My friend once made chili with Morningstar Farm crumbles, and you could not tell it wasn't beef.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:38 PM   #3  
Opulent

Hummus, baba ghanoj, sliced veggies and pita

Lentil and roasted veggie "pate" spread on crackers and veggie slices

Bruchetta and crostini

Mini "meat balls" made with faux "sausage", chopped onion, minced garlic, bread crumbs (or crushed crakers), herbs and served in a BBQ sauce

Fresh fruit platter

Pinwheel wraps (tortillas spread with an herbed cream cheese-Tofutti or regular) filled with romaine lettuce, any veggies you like and can fit in there, wrapped up and sliced into "pinwheels"...you can also make a sweet one with peanut butter, dried fruit and jelly instead of "salad" stuff

Pickled veggies, crudite, olives and a low fat homemade dip (try a dry package of dressing or dip mix with fat-free sour cream or yogurt)

The possibilities are endless!
Old 12-19-2005, 09:26 PM   #4  

Cool

I had a real elegant h'ordeurve. It was artichoke bottoms with sour cream and caviar. It can be modified using fat-free sour cream and maybe a few chopped olives instead of caviar. Dry out a can of artichoke bottoms, top with a dollop of sour cream and the olives -- or perhaps pementos. It's so easy
Old 12-21-2005, 10:24 AM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I don't ususally cook appetizers - DH does that - but I always put out a veggie platter with hummous or roasted red pepper dip (I cheat and get store bought ), a fresh fruit plate with strawberries, grapes, kiwi, slice melon, pineapple etc and some chocolate dip or low fat vanilla flavour yogurt for dipping. I also put out a cheese and cracker tray.

This year we have an Italian theme so I am making mini bruscetta on sliced french baguette to put out along with the above.

How about making "sausage rolls" using storebought puff pastry and veggie sausage links?

Here's a couple of links to some vegetarian appetizer recipes:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67536
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43709
Closed Thread