Old 03-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #1  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

Default women only question....

While I am not ashamed to post this, I just thought it may be better to get women only responses. (sorry any guys that may be out there!)

I have been searching around for some help, some where for my terrible PMS symtoms. I spend two weeks out of every month feeling like I am coming down with the flu. Sore throat, aches, feverish, wild mood swings and cravings, BAD. I usually miss work at least two days a month (although I must confess I could go on to work if I pushed myself more) The "flow" itself is tolerable, but all the symtoms surrounding it is not.

So I went searching on the web to see what I can come up with and I ran across the PCRM website that advocates a vegan diet. At this point I am disparate. Anytime I get going on a diet, workout program, get a good routine going, BAM it's *that time* and all bets are off at that point because for all intents and purposes I now have the flu for the next two weeks. The doctor wants to hand me drugs. I don't want drugs, I hate them, if I can make some lifestyle changes that work I will do that before I take a drug.

So, my question is this....Is the PCRM right? Did a vegetarian/vegan diet help with PMS? If so, how long before you felt relief?

Thanks in advance,
kat
ckatgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #2  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I don't know any thing about being vegan but I had the same type issues, but I've been able to eliminate them with the help of supplements and exercise. I currently take calcium, b-12, fish oil, and a multi-vitamin for relief with ecellent results. Finally I have sick/vacation days left over at the end of the year. I've been doing this about 6 months now and the difference is amazing.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Like the poster above, I'm not sure how a vegan diet helps PMS, but I know it's helpful for a lot of other ailments. I wouldn't be surprised if it did help.

I'm not vegan, I do rarely eat meat, but mainly I eat vegetarian meals and some fish. What has helped me the most with PMS symptoms is cutting down my salt, sugar, and caffeine intake. These all aggravate PMS in my case.

I also take a multi (I've heard lack of iron can be a factor with PMS) and fish oil. Omega-3s have been shown to help with depression, so maybe they would help with mood swings? If you decide to go vegan you can get your Omega-3s from flax oil or a blend made from seaweed.

Not that this is helpful now, but my old roommate had the worst TOM I've ever seen and it all went away after having a baby. She went from cramps so bad she couldn't move for three days, to barely noticing that it was her TOM. Crazy what hormones do to us.

Last edited by zenor77; 03-17-2008 at 01:39 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #4  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Well, unlike the posters above, I AM a vegan and I can tell you that a myriad of ailments have improved or resolved completely since making lifestyle and dietary changes (of which veganism has been a cornerstone).

A whole foods, plant based, no refined sugar and carbohydrates diet has worked for me. If you are going to try it, please DO give it a good try, commit to it 100% and try it out for a minimum of 6 weeks before you dismiss it! I have NEVER seen it NOT work, in terms of PMS, cholesterol and so on.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm guessing the reasoning behind PCRM is eating a vegan diet will help you get the hormones out of your body from dairy/meat.

For me, I noticed a HUGE improvement within the first few weeks of starting a vegan diet. My PMS and periods have significantly improved. I also started with the idea that I'd eat a vegan diet for a few days to see what would happen. It has been 5 months and I can't imagine going back.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:14 AM   #6  

Is alot of soy good or bad for pms I've heard different things.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:09 AM   #7  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

Thank you everyone for your wonderful replies! I think I am just going to have to buckle down and give it a good shot. I have cut way back on the meat and sugar with this cycle and I have seen a marked difference with in the few days I have. (trust me, feeling this way would carry on for at least 2 weeks, some before and some after)

Thank you once again for your candid and helpful responses
ckatgo is offline   Reply With Quote