UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 17st 2lbs

Height: 5ft 2in

Default beef with green chillies

Serves : 4

List of Ingredients :
454g braising steak
veg oil
1tsp cumin seeds
400ml water
3 or 4 fat green chillies seeds removed
2 handfuls of fresh coriander leaves and stalks

for the marinade
1tsp tumeric
1 tsp garam masala
salt to taste
about 3 large cloves of garlic
15g fresh ginger peeled and roughly chopped
1 large onion
2 medium tomatoes (i sometimes chuck a couple more in)

Instructions :
blend all the ingrediants for the marinade together
add to the meat and leave for as long as possible
then when your going to cook it
heat enought oil to fry the cumin seeds for about 30seconds pour in the meat and marinade
stiry fry over a moderate heat until there are no harsh bitter elements when you taste it
add the water bring to the boil then lower the heat cover and simmer till the meat is done about 35-40 mins half way through the cooking heat a little more oil and fry the chillies for about 2 mins stirring often put into the meat mixture once the meat is cooked you may either have to thin down the sauce with a bit more water ( i never have to ) or i always thicken mine with a litle cornflour stir in the coriander and serve with naan bread or rice
i always have moine with a load of boiled cauli so much lower and its lovely hope you all enjoy it once you`ve made it a couple of times its so easy its supposed to be with lamb but thats so much higher but you could use any meat you wanted and just adjust the cals and fat will put the cals and fat on in 2 mins ok

Any other comments :

here are the cals and fat

cals per portion 312
fat per portion 12.5

thats without corn flour to thicken so just add that depending how much you use if any and thats without the cauli
i usually have turkey instead of beef now so it works out much lower just adjust the cals its really nice i found out as well if you use scwartz spices there much stronger than say a shops own brand
ScarletDarcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:19 PM   #122  

Default carrot&coriander soup

Serves 6

Ingredients
2 lb (900 g) carrots, peeled and chopped

1 tablespoon coriander seeds

1 oz (25 g) butter

1 small clove garlic, crushed

2 pints (1.2 litres) chicken or vegetable stock

3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander, plus 6 small sprigs, to garnish

3 tablespoons crème fraîche

salt and freshly ground black pepper

Begin by dry-roasting the coriander seeds in a small frying pan over a medium heat, stirring and tossing them around for 1-2 minutes, or until they begin to look toasted and start to jump in the pan. Now tip them into a pestle and mortar and crush them coarsely.

Next, heat the butter in a large saucepan, then add the chopped carrots, garlic and three-quarters of the crushed coriander seeds. Stir the carrots in the buttery juices and crushed seeds, then cover the pan and let the vegetables cook over a gentle heat until they are beginning to soften ? about 10 minutes.

Next, add the stock and season with salt and pepper and bring everything up to the boil. Then reduce the heat to low and simmer for a further 15-20 minutes, partially covered, or until all the vegetables are tender. Leave the soup to cool a little, then you can liquidise the whole lot in batches (a large bowl to put each batch in is helpful here). After that, return the purée to the pan and stir in the chopped fresh coriander and 2 tablespoons of the crème fraîche. Re-heat the soup, then taste to check the seasoning and serve in warmed bowls and garnish each one with a swirl of crème fraîche, a sprinkling of the remaining toasted coriander seeds and a sprig of fresh coriander.

this has 72 cals per portion and 4.8 fat you could make it lower by using frylight instead of butter if you wanted

Serves 6

Ingredients
2 lb (900 g) carrots, peeled and chopped

1 tablespoon coriander seeds

1 oz (25 g) butter

1 small clove garlic, crushed

2 pints (1.2 litres) chicken or vegetable stock

3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander, plus 6 small sprigs, to garnish

3 tablespoons crème fraîche

salt and freshly ground black pepper

Begin by dry-roasting the coriander seeds in a small frying pan over a medium heat, stirring and tossing them around for 1-2 minutes, or until they begin to look toasted and start to jump in the pan. Now tip them into a pestle and mortar and crush them coarsely.

Next, heat the butter in a large saucepan, then add the chopped carrots, garlic and three-quarters of the crushed coriander seeds. Stir the carrots in the buttery juices and crushed seeds, then cover the pan and let the vegetables cook over a gentle heat until they are beginning to soften ? about 10 minutes.

Next, add the stock and season with salt and pepper and bring everything up to the boil. Then reduce the heat to low and simmer for a further 15-20 minutes, partially covered, or until all the vegetables are tender. Leave the soup to cool a little, then you can liquidise the whole lot in batches (a large bowl to put each batch in is helpful here). After that, return the purée to the pan and stir in the chopped fresh coriander and 2 tablespoons of the crème fraîche. Re-heat the soup, then taste to check the seasoning and serve in warmed bowls and garnish each one with a swirl of crème fraîche, a sprinkling of the remaining toasted coriander seeds and a sprig of fresh coriander.

this has 72 cals per portion and 4.8 fat you could make it lower by using frylight instead of butter if you wanted []
Old 07-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #123  

Default chicken rissotto

Serves : 1

List of Ingredients :
130g chicken breast
50g sweetcorn
30g peas
small onion
1/2 red pepper
1/2green pepper
6 big firm white mushrooms
1 heaped tsp chicken bovril
150/170ml boiling water
cracked black pepper
frylight
50g aborio rice
10g grated parmeasan cheese
Instructions :

slice chicken and fry in the frylight
add rice
add diced onion and peppers
add mushrooms keep stiring
add chicken stock a little at a time keep on mixing
throw in peas and sweetcorn
should be reducing down you might not need all the stock
just keep an eye on it
then serve with the parmesan on top
makes a huge bowl full

cals per serving 508 fat 7.8
add a couple more for however many squirts of frylight (i cal per spray) that you use it might seem a lot of cals but you get so much and it really fills you all night

Any other comments : it could easy serve 2 if you had a soup starter thats what i`m going to do next time

List of Ingredients :
130g chicken breast
50g sweetcorn
30g peas
small onion
1/2 red pepper
1/2green pepper
150/170ml boiling water
cracked black pepper
frylight
50g aborio rice
Instructions :

add rice
just keep an eye on it
makes a huge bowl full

add a couple more for however many squirts of frylight (i cal per spray) that you use it might seem a lot of cals but you get so much and it really fills you all night

Any other comments : [] it could easy serve 2 if you had a soup starter thats what i`m going to do next time []
Old 07-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #124  

Default chicken rissotto

List of Ingredients :
130g chicken breast
50g sweetcorn
30g peas
small onion
1/2 red pepper
1/2green pepper
150/170ml boiling water
cracked black pepper
frylight
50g aborio rice
Instructions :

add rice
just keep an eye on it
makes a huge bowl full

Any other comments : it could easy serve 2 if you had a soup starter thats what i`m going to do next time

Last edited by ScarletDarcy; 07-20-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #125  

Default chicken tomotoe bake

200g chicken breast
30g thinly sliced leeks
4 cherry tomatoes
30g reduced fat cheddar cheese
salt&pepper

put chicken breast in small dish add leeks tomatoes and sprinkle grate cheese on top
cover with foil bake in oven take foil off last 10 mins to crisp the cheese up
serve with new boiled potatoes

451 cals per serving
7.8 fat per serving

really nice and so easy to make
Old 09-30-2008, 03:10 PM   #126  

S/C/G: 245/Ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi there! Thought I'd post the recipe I use for vegetable lasagne on here. I've only made it a couple of times but my family said they really enjoyed it so thought I'd share.

Preheat oven to 200 degrees C / 390 degrees F

Ingredients:

1 aubergine
2 courgettes
1 large pepper (any colour you like, I find yellow is nice)
4-6 tomatoes (depending on size...I like the packets of 5 vine tomatoes you can get)
6-8 mushrooms
1-2 chillis (I use medium-hot red ones, get rid of the seeds and chop the chillis very finely)
1 large white onion
1-2 cloves garlic (crushed)
Pinch of herbs (I use dried 'Italian mix' herbs for convenience but you can add whatever you prefer)
1 tsp flour
Lasagne sheets
White sauce (I don't make this from scratch, I use a jar. I find that the Dolmio white lasagne sauce is good, it's only 7.5% fat rather than other brands that are 15-17% fat).
Grated cheese (reduced fat cheese can be used here if you want to keep the fat content down, though if the cheese is too low in fat it can go a bit rubbery)

(You can press the aubergines and courgettes first by sprinkling salt on them and putting them in a collinder with something heavy on it (like a bowl) for about an hour but I don't do this as I don't like putting salt in things and the juices make up the sauce)

It's really easy to make. Chop up the vegetables to what ever size you like and put them in a wok with a *little* oil or fry-light. Start with the vegetables that take longer to cook (aubergines, courgettes, peppers) and then gradually add the rest until everything's cooking together nicely. Crush the garlic and add to the vegetables along with the herbs. Keep it on a medium-low heat and let all the flavours mingle for about 15 minutes.

Add the spoonful of flour - this will thicken the juices a bit and make it a lot easier to serve

Put a layer of vegetable mix in the bottom of a large dish, add a layer of lasagne sheets, then add a layer of white sauce. Keep going until all the vegetables are used up and finish with a layer of white sauce on top.

Sprinkle some cheese on top (however much you like) and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. You can cover it with foil if you prefer - I don't do this though as I like the cheese to go crispy

This serves about 4-6 people but can be eaten over 2 days Goes great with garlic bread and salad!

(Sorry my cooking instructions are a bit rubbish, I'm not very good at explaining myself )
Anti222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #127  
healthy chick.

S/C/G: 231/159/140

Height: 5 ft 4

Before i start i dont do measurements so just use a sutible amount!

EASY TUNA BAKE

1 tin of tuna
1 can of cambelles low fat condensed chicken soup
Pasta
Peas/Sweetcorn if required
Low fat cheese(If required)

Cook relevant amount of pasta depends how much you want.When cooked Drain and stir in the tin of soup and then tuna,add a bit of water if its too think but not too much the point of the condensed soup is it makes a sauce,Add pead or sweetcoen if requires,bake in oven,i sometimes add a bit of grated low fat cheese for extra taste but its just as yummy on its own,
Easy,cheap,healthy!
chantelleypink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:56 PM   #128  
healthy chick.

S/C/G: 231/159/140

Height: 5 ft 4

Cheesy Leek And Ham Pie

Make Some Mash Potatoe
Cook Leeks Leave To Cool And Wrap In Lean Ham,lay On Bottom Of Oven Proof Dish,cover In Low Fat Cheese Sauce And Topp With Mash.
Some Low Fat Cheese Makes A Great Topping Also Scrunch Up Some Low Fat Ready Salted Crisps And Sprinkle Makes A Good Topping!
chantelleypink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #129  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

Quinoa and Mince stuffed Bell Pepper
serves 4

200g lean mince(Iv used either beef or pork)
140g chopped onion(2 onions)
1 Tbsp Garlic puree
Mixed herbs
50g Tomato puree
water
4 bell peppers
50g uncooked Quinoa

Cut the peppers in 1/2 and core, set aside on baking tray.
Wash and cook quinoa, set aside.
Dry fry onions, garlic and minced meat.
When cooked add tomato puree, mixed herbs and water til saucey consistancy.

Drain and add quinoa to meat sauce, mix and boil.
Equally divide between the pepper halves.

Bake- I honestly dont know how long for, I can put on for gas mark 1 for an 1.5hr or a higher gas for shorter time.

Tip: dry frying dry quinoa before cooking added a nice nutty flavour, be careful those, they get hot and need constant attention.

approx 200kcals per serving
serve with veggies!

I have made meatless ones with more quinoa or I'd imagine tofu cud be nice.
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:38 AM   #130  
Fat bride-Thin bride

S/C/G: 172/149/140

Height: 5ft4

great receipies guys! I am gonna add some, all tried and tested.

mediterranean rice salad
serves 6
400g small vine tomatoes, halved
low fat cooking spray (fry light is what i use)
a pinch of salt
1 garlic glove, crushed
250g brown basmati rice
75g pitted black olives in brine, chopped roughley
4 tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
25g rocket, torn

1. preheat oven to gas mark 5/190 degrees c or 170 degrees if a fan oven
line baking seet with greaseproof paper and place tomatoes on top, cut side up. mist with low fat cooking spray, season well, then sprinkle with the sugar. roast for 45 min, then scatter the garlic over and roast for a further 10 mins. cool.

2. meanwhile, cook the rice until tender. drain and rinse in cold running water to cool. drain well and place in bowl. add remaining ingredients, ten season well and stir to combine.

this as 181 calories

Sticky Cola Steaks

serves 6
3x 300g thick sirloin steaks, trimmed of any fat
250ml cola (not diet)
2 tbsp chopped fres thyme
2 bay leaves
2 garlic gloves, peeled and bashed
1tsp mixed peppercorns, cracked.

1. for the marinade, pour cola into a small ssaucepan, bring to te boil and simmer for 5 minutes until reduced by two thirds. add the thyme and bay leaves and allow to cool, stir in the garlic and peppercorns and season wit salt.

2. place steaks in a non metallic bowl and pour te marinade over, cover and cill for 1 hour or overnight in the fridge.
3. remove the steaks from the marinade and cook in a griddle pan for 2-3 minutes on each side, slice thickly and divide between 6 plates.

227 calories
PrincessLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 182/158/105

Height: 4ft 11"

As an alternative for potato salad I steam 250g new potatoes and dry fry one bacon medallion which I cut into small pieces. I then add the bacon along with some chopped spring onions and a couple of tablespoons of white wine vingar to the potatoes. Yum yum.

I always take this with me to BBQs.
lisa4621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #132  

S/C/G: 10st 13.5 lbs

Height: 5ft

Default Lazy girls stuffed pepper surprise

Hey there,

I am mainly vegetarian.. and this is great for a lunchtime snack where you will get alot of your 5 a day... and can also serve with salad.. so stock up on free foods too..

Take a pepper of any colour.. although red and yellow usually taste best.

cut in half across the breadth.. so as to make a cute little cup shape.

take out all of the core and seeds.

spray with a little low fat spray oil.

In the mean time, cook 30g of orzo style pasta (very small rice shaped pasta) which cooks quick. Add to water and cook until almost cooked but still a little hard ( has bite to it)

Then open a small jar of roasted red pepper pesto. Take out 2 heaped small spoons worth.

once pasta is done, add it to the pesto.

Now put a layer of the pasta into pepper
followed by one VERY thin layer of low fat cheese slice.
then another layer of pasta, then top with another layer of thin low fat cheese slice.

Pop in the oven.. bake for 30 - 40 mins @ medium heat until pepper is browning and cheese on top is bubbling and hot.

Serve with LOTS of free salad for a tasty. yet lazy lunch
MrsPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #133  

S/C/G: 163lbs.

Height: 5'1"

Hi There, does anyone follow the South Beach diet and would you like a buddy? We could share recipe ideas and support each other on our journey. I'm a newbie just signed up tonight. dwalli.
dwalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #134  

S/C/G: 189/173/147

good idea but would help if recipes were shown in sections ie main, sides etc
slimbysummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #135  

S/C/G: 238/238/154

Height: 5'5

I am loving this thread

I'm gonna add the recipe for my risotto, I know there is already two risotto recipes down, but **** this one is goooood and its so easy.

I never really measure anything when I make this so all the measures are approx, this should do enough for 4 people.

Pea and Bacon Risotto with Omelette

You'll need:
1 clove of garlic (or 2 if ya like)
1 onion - finely chopped
2 rashers of bacon
A few mushrooms (I love em so I shove a box full in, but thats just me)
Rice - I use normal cheap bog standard white rice, but you can use risotto or basmalti rice - they're good too. I just chuck a load of rice in so I'd probably go with the serving size suggestion on the packet.
2 Stock cubes - I use veggie but chicken works well too. Again I use as much water with the stock cubes as I think - so best off following the suggestion on the rice packet as to quantity of water.
Peas (I stick loads in, once again no idea on the quanity - more down to taste)
3 eggs for the omelette and a drop of milk if you want.

You'll want to use a large pan for it.

Fry the garlic, onion and bacon in together, add some fry light if you want, but the fat from the bacon should be enough. Add the mushrooms once the bacon is almost cooked and then add the stock made with boiling water and the rice. Stick a lid on it, put it on the lowest heat setting and stir occasionally. Its ready once the rice is done. I normally cook it for about an hour, but as I say no exactly science with me.

Then stir in the peas right at the end and take off the heat straight away, cook your omelette, cut up and stir into the risotto. And it sorted!

Delicious hot, eaten straight away, but I cool mine and stick it in the fridge and take it to work for my lunch. Delicious
Oops A Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beck diet, weight loss