Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 10:35 PM   #76  
loves kleenex box art

Bagz ... please ... ask ... Dr. DD2 ... what ... is ... the cheapest .. yet effective ... way to ... get .. fleas ... off ... a ... cat.

Congratulations on getting your garbage cans corraled. That is really something! Way to go Bagzoid.

In my personal life, I found this site that sells knitting needles cheaper than the Knitting **** in town and will mail them for only $1.75 s&h. Yayyy.

How many LL Bean dollars, Kiwi, and how do you get 'em?
Old 10-17-2005, 12:04 AM   #77  
Member w/ messiest house

Goodness, you can ask me that. Here it is, time consuming but effective and cheap as dirt: You need a real flea comb -- or the baby comb that they gave you in the hospital when your baby was born. What? You don't still have that? That's okay, they sell flea combs, probably in the grocery store. It has to have very fine close together teeth. I can't find mine.

Anyway. If the cat is truly infested, you'd better get some flea powder and rub that in his coat first and wait a day or two. That stuff is pretty cheap and very effective.

Then, to get rid of a few fleas: You get a small bowl, put a squirt of dish soap in it and half fill it with warm water. Stir it around a little to mix in the soap. Set the bowl on a sturdy surface within easy reach of where you are going to sit. You settle the cat on your lap on a towel and you comb through his hair carefully with the comb. When you come up with a flea or any flea dirt you quickly tap it into the bowl, where it will not survive. You may cheer and celebrate, but do so quietly so as to not alarm the cat.

There now, wasn't that fun? Now repeat with other cat, because they're never on just one.....

Kiwi
Old 10-17-2005, 12:12 AM   #78  
Member w/ messiest house

I think I only lost 10 LLBean dollars. You get them when you charge stuff on your LLBean Visa card.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:53 AM   #79  
loves kleenex box art

1 of these cats has long thicky partially-matted (not much but he's sensitive) fur. Do you still recommend this? He's a nervous panicky sort of guy.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:43 AM   #80  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

unfortunately the only thing that has worked for us----and the cats we have seem to be "allergic" to flea bites ---resulting in little scabby things on their skin {grossssssssssss}----is the stuff from the Vet---i think it is called Advantage---it works every time and funny you should say,-----our newest cat -{finally named "BOB"} needs his pom poms removed so i will have to get stuck with all the crap they insist you need "needlewise" even thought these are indoor cats------------in short----i imagine kiwi's plan will work but you might have to cut off the mats -----YIKES
Old 10-17-2005, 01:22 PM   #81  
loves kleenex box art

his little pompoms??? awww
Old 10-17-2005, 01:24 PM   #82  

Lush! Welcome back to the herd! Peaches didn't tell you the most important thing thats going on with me --- I'm going to get a granddaughter in February! Yup, I'm going to be Granny Wabby. Please hang out with us again. I'm not too proud to beg. I miss you. It sounds like its been a harrowing year for you, with DD's medical treatments and boys growing up.... and I'm depressed too, but not for any good reason.... so stick around and commiserate.

Fleas - only that Advantage stuff works on my doggies. The problem w/ flea powder is that it doesn't kill all the eggs that will hatch out at about the time you've picked off the last flea killed by the powder. I just treated my critters on Saturday. I took both dogs to the do it yourself dogwash, then cleaned their kennel, and while I was cleaning they managed to get some kind of motor oil smeared on their heads. D*mn mutts.

The Cinitopia theatre experience was sooo nice. The theatre has big leather chairs w/ ottomans & cushy throw pillows, waiters to bring you food and drink, live entertainment before the show, ...... and the movie was great. Just the right mix of laughs and tears. DH managed a friday night without me w/ a minimum of whining.

Bagzie, doing outside stuff leads you to feeling like doing more outside stuff... went for a walk w/ my sister and then we both started cutting back perennials in the front yard and before we knew it we had a wheelbarrow full.... that was last week.... this weekend I sat on my big fat arse most of the time. I had a marathon session of watching the first 6 episodes of HBO's Six Feet Under. Addictive tv.

I watched the new Martha once. I hate it. She's trying to be more approachable, when that was her previous appeal --- her elitist snobbiness was at least genuine.

Can't wait to hear how the Sugar adventure went.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:15 PM   #83  

I'm bored, so I'm replying to myself.

A pipe burst at DD's apartment, flooded her place before they could get it shut off. She had to move home until they got her place recarpeted and dried out. She lasted 2 days and called her landlord to tell them she was homeless and needed temporary housing. And I thought I was easy to live with. She said she had to tiptoe around at our house and she just needed her own place. Harumph! Guess I don't have to worry about her moving back home. We drove her crazy in 2 days.

BBQ'd chicken wings at KFC are neither chicken wings or bbq'd. They are little nuggets of fat, deep fried, then smothered in a vinegar-tomato goop. ick.

The website for the guy who was our before show entertainment at Cinetopia is www.accordiancrimes.com. He was surprisingly good and wrote his own stuff.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:45 PM   #84  
Member w/ messiest house

Hi Lushie! Somehow I missed your post! So glad to see you back. We have all missed you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabby
Fleas - only that Advantage stuff works on my doggies. The problem w/ flea powder is that it doesn't kill all the eggs that will hatch out at about the time you've picked off the last flea killed by the powder. I just treated my critters on Saturday.
That's true if your animals are constantly getting fleas, but if they only brought fleas home from somewhere, flea powder and combing work very well. When we got our Humane Society cat, she was supposedly treated for fleas but within a week or so, she had fleas-a-plenty, and they were hopping over to the other cat and the dog. I used Advantage on the dog a few times because she was very allergic to the bites, but I got rid of the fleas totally by using flea powder and combing on the cats. The cat that brought the fleas home is the long-haired one, by the way. And I did have to remove mats a lot on her (and probably will again this winter), but you were planning to do that anyway right, Peachie ?

Glad you had a lovely time at the Cinetopia, Wabbit. I want one.

That's pretty funny about DD only staying 2 days. Geez, at her age I lasted several months at my parents house even though they drove me slam up the wall. Good move with the tiptoeing around thing. I'll have to remember that for future use.

Kiwi
Old 10-17-2005, 10:10 PM   #85  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

I know this is irreverant but i couldn't resist----------poor God.

Quote from the National Post: by Doug Camilli

-----I've never much liked Salmon Rushdie.No matter how good his writing,his celebrity fugitive schtick is pretty wearisome. Still,you've got to like what he told TV guy Bill Maher the other day: "I've been worrying about God a little bit lately. It seems as if he's been lashing out,you know,destroying cities,annihilating places. It seems like He's been in a bad mood. And I think it has to do with the quality of lovers he's been getting. If you look at the people who love God now,you know,if I was God,I'd need to destroy something."
Old 10-18-2005, 12:08 AM   #86  
loves kleenex box art

It's not irreverant. It's hysterical!!

Irreverant, in my opinion, was NPR Sunday morning when they aired this young woman's thoughts on the stupidity of believing in God. I just thought she had nothing to say that everyone else hadn't thought of already. It's like erotic writing .. only so many ways to say it. Yawn.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:11 AM   #87  
loves kleenex box art

I forgot to say this Most Important Thing. Some months ago, I sent fan mail to Dan Hicks, the greatest of California musicans. Well, yesterday, I received a postcard from him!! He drew my picture on it!!! Was very accurate with short curly hair and earrings. How did he know??? So how many of you got mail from your fav performer?????? ONLY MEEEEEE
Old 10-18-2005, 12:13 PM   #88  

Yeah, but I bet you haven't hung out w/ Elvis.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:30 PM   #89  
loves kleenex box art

Now I feel bad. Wabby knows the KINGGGGG.

Kiwi I have dematted the cat and have combed about 20 fleas out of the pair of them. We are bonding. HAHA
Old 10-18-2005, 05:40 PM   #90  
fatter than U

Default yaaaaaaaawn

No one famous ever sent me a postcard. I'm so boring.

Wabs, my adventure isn't until this Saturday. I hope I get off at the right stop. I have nothing to wear to impress perfect strangers.

Once I lived in an apartment with a bunch of girls and there were fleas in the carpet from the last tenant. We didn't have a cat, so they bit us instead. For months. *scratch scratch*

That Salmon Rushdie sure is a card, isn't he?

LUSHIE!! You came back! Sounds like you have everything in control. Yep, if you're depressed, THIS is the place to be.
Closed Thread