Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 06:47 PM   #16  

Bagzie, being a nice pie delivering person is dangerous. My friend's mom was taking a pie to her neighbors and she fell down and gave herself a black eye. She saved the pie, though. Hope your duds come clean. I'm wearing a purple and green striped denim skirt and a green shortsleeved sweater. I want to know what everyone else is wearing right now. I like Target clothes, Kiwonker. Especially stuff like their denim shorts. Now don't go telling me that you have a Target store in your outback.

I've been TIVO'ing episodes of "I Lost It!" on the Discovery Health channel. I'm hoping it will inspire me. Can't hurt. Oh really? sitting on the couch watching tv isn't helping matters????!!!!

One of the guys brought in some fresh picked corn on the cob. Grilled salmon and corn on the cob. mmmmmmm. Now I need some fried zuchinni and I'd be in heaven. That's some summertime eatin' thar.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:31 PM   #17  
Member w/ messiest house

Yeehaw, I'll have me summa that fried zucchini, mmm-hmmm. I'm sure that watching diet shows is excellent exercise. Much like reading diet books... I will say that I can't do much eating while typing on the computer, and I've been on it almost all day today. Finally finished touching up the photos, am about to burn them onto a cd. You guys are so lucky to hear my blow-by-blow activities every day, you have no idea...

We do have a Target: 75 miles away like everything else! The only thing in town is food: Subway, McDonalds, 2 grocery stores, numerous other restaurants and little markets. And lots of places to buy snowmobiles and get hunting licenses. Can't buy shoes or books or cds or wearable clothes or underwear though. And we have a Curves. Conveniently located next door to the best pizza shop.

Gotta go burn.

Kiwi
Old 08-26-2005, 09:14 AM   #18  

I'm wearing light blue loungie pants and dark blue tank top (fat girls with huge boobs should not wear tank tops in public!) At least I am matching today.
Kiwi: Your DD music is divine! There is something to be said for living in Northern Exposure, but alas, I'm too dependent on having the creature comforts of suburbia.
Painty - are you exhibiting your work?
Wabby: hmmm never heard of RSVP to a BBQ.. WTF, isn't it suppose to be just burgers, corn and watermelon? That denim skirt sounds pretty!
Bagz: did the blueberry stains come out? How AGGERVATIN'

Sug: the kids here went back to school yesterday too. Where I come from, we always went back the wednesday after labor day, and ended mid-end of june... personally I think kids should go year round with 2-3 weeks of personal days ..just like the real working world.. easy for me to say..I'm sure if a kid heard me say that I would be shot on site.

Peachy: Come out to play, we miss you..Are you going to be hit by Katrina ? UGH I hope not darlin
Well, I finally got up the nerve to unpack the Altar to the Weight Gods! Did the "One legged Stork Pose" a "flying Fig Newton", and offered up a HO HO...!
Wheeeeeee! 2 more pounds down!!!! Yay for me!

I only have 2 pairs of shorts that fit.. Mayhap I must go to our nearest TarShay to see what is on sale...I hear that they have a Super Target here.. What ever that means.

Last edited by Schatzi; 08-26-2005 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:05 PM   #19  
Member w/ messiest house

Congrats on the 2 lbs, Schatzi!

I've got nada to say today. Hope Katrina doesn't creep up on Peachcow; they've had enough walloping lately.

Kiwi
Old 08-26-2005, 07:00 PM   #20  

In spite of living in a metropolitan area with more shopping than anyplace else in the whole U.S., I am wearing Target knit shorts and a Dressbarn T shirt in what might be called a cross between mint and sage. Oh, and I'm still bald. And barefoot.

Had salmon for early dinner... with spinach and breadcrumbs on top. Yummy.

Kiwi-- Is there a Fry's within iditerod distance? Today's advert said they were selling 3 GIG of memory for $100. Remember when memory was expensive? I adore photoshop. Expensive to purchase the "Big" package... but they've come out with a "home" version that I hear is pretty good.

Baggz... I hope the blueberry stains vamoose. I had a new blue and yellow t-shirt that tried to mate with something unexpectedly RED in my washer. Waaaaaaaaaah.
I've washed it about 10 times... the whole thing is fading.

Shatzi-- contrats!!!

Do any of you do Yoga? I love the articles saying middle aged people can loose 10 lbs by doing yoga instead of gaining 13.5. And that's without changing other exercise or diet habits. I must admit that if I breathed deep and paid attention to my body more often, I might avoid the umpteenth serving of most anything. My portions are out of control. Even had some reflux this morning. (I tend to eat with mucho anxiety the night before my chemo....) Who said I wasn't an emotional eater. Drat.

Peachy... I've crossed my fingers to keep Katrina out to sea. Hope you are well.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:06 PM   #21  
loves kleenex box art

I am briefly here but have no read what y'all said so forgive me. I am reporting that DS is a licensed driver. Now, he needs a car and a job. I am telling him that people with hair in their eyes do not get jobs. He is paying no attention.

Yesterday, I applied for a job that I realllllllllllllllllly want and was told that the only thing that could stop me from getting it is some people in another town who get to decide if my degree is in the wrong field. It's wrong but the minor is right. Cross yer fingers.

Katrina (what a cute name!) is heading west last I heard. yay. May she simmer down to a pleasant breeze.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:01 AM   #22  
Member w/ messiest house

Painty -- I had good luck with some stuff I bought at the grocery store made just for removing dye bleeds/ruboff from the wash.

Goodluck on the job, Peachie. I lost a job that way shortly after college -- they wanted an English major and I was a Sociology major. Silly, really, considering I aced their qualifying test. Your experience and ability ought to trump what you majored in in college -- hope you get it!!

Kiwi
Old 08-27-2005, 06:37 AM   #23  

Peacharina! Gooood Luck with the job... One door closes and another opens..or so "they" say! And Bravo on DS getting his license.. I'm sure he will be motivated to get a job now that he can drive. I kept watching Katrina, hope she was just a whisp where you are!

Painty: I tried Yoga years ago, I really liked it .. then the instructor hurt her back and that was that..

I'm on the last box today.. must arrange the chachka, and next week we hang the pictures.. and then we start looking for land to buy and build our "real" home.. DH is out golfing today (apparently living in NC this is what men do).
Old 08-27-2005, 08:00 AM   #24  
fatter than U

Default minor shminor!

You WILL get that job, Peachy!!! Since when does education have anything to do with real life anyway?

I have been unable to post because I spent all morning handing out Baldwin Bookworm bookmarks to the first graders at the welcoming ceremony down at the elementary school. They are just such itty bitty little kids - so cute. We also got 9 brand new books donated to the library, which was nice.

Did I ever tell yas about the "Schultüte" custom they have here? Every first grader gets a giant decorated carboard cone with sweets, school supplies and little presents in it from his or her parents. Some of them were awesome with fairies and princesses and pirates on them. I tried to attach a pic. Let's see if it works.

German kids get 6 weeks summer holidays, 2 weeks in October, 2 weeks at Christmas and Easter so I guess it all evens out. It does seem pretty short. Our Spanish friends' kids have something like 10 weeks.

Painty - yes, I have heard that yoga can lead to weight loss what with the breathing and the metabolism boosting and the chakra clearing. I tried to join a course here once but they wouldn't have me. May try again some time soon. I have an "abs yoga" DVD that I quite enjoy. It's very relaxing, but you really feel like you did something.

No time to read the rest of yer posts in detail, Cowies, but I will later. Have to go clean something now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schultüte2.jpg (12.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 08-27-2005, 11:51 AM   #25  
Member w/ messiest house

Aw that must have been fun, Sug! That's sweet about the 1st graders' gifts.

We're going waterskiing/tubing this afternoon. Yeeha... I don't waterski; maybe I'll try tubing.

Kiwi
Old 08-28-2005, 08:57 AM   #26  

Sug : What a lovely tradition!
Kiwi: TUBING ... my absolute favorite XTreme Schlubbing Sport! Ah to float my fat in a tube, with a brew.. laughing and not have to even get out of the tube to pee.. Heavenly!
The Box has been unpacked, the bubble wrap popped, and it's beginning to look like a real home..Today we're off to Lowes and Tarshay to buy more unnecessary crap... Friday we officially closed on the house in Joisey.. and got the check yesterday WHOO HOO... now we can pay off some bills and still have a nice little nest egg to begin the hunt for a new house or build one... DH is still out of work but has a few nibbles ..so fingers crossed that something comes through for him..
Old 08-28-2005, 12:13 PM   #27  
loves kleenex box art

I am digging into my memory and I KNOW I got no such gift when I began 1st grade in Germany. I began K-2 in Germany and all I recall is when they lined us all up against the wall (in chairs), took one shoe and said they'd either bring it back with candy or coal. We really feared the coal and carefully looked to see who got it and couldn't find anybody. Still, I thought somebody had managed to hide the stuff.

Also, we were regularly entertained with WONDERFUL puppet shows and made to sing a song about a boy who did not cut his hair or nails. They grew straight out and prevented him from performing normal tasks or being accepted into the country club. He had strong nails.

Shots, I had not realized you moved to NC without DH having a JB. How nice of DH to do that for ME. I need company. Others I know who have recently lost jobs include a man who had an affair at work and was fired. He did not tell his wife either fact. Said he was taking vacation early. I don't know if he was surprised when she filed for divorce. Also, a man who has held a high-profile high-paying job here for years and years and who, in no one's memory, has accomplished one single thing (the job had one specific task) has stepped down after his salary was cut out of the government budget. He made $79K a year.

I am being very careful what I eat. I mean I eat nutritious meals because I believe it's a very important factor in handling stress. However, yesterday I added root beer floats to my diet and now have bags of lard hanging over my waistband.

I feel so bad for New Orleans. I do not see why hurricanes can not be calmed down.

Here's one of my recipes from yesterday in case you, too, want to be fatter. Chop an eggplant, sprinkle with salt and let it sit while you watch a couple of scenes from Flight of the Phoenix. Put the eggplant in a kitchen towel and have DS sqeeze the water from it. Brown it in a little oil while DS grates a potato. You must tell him to grate faster several times. Put the potato in a towel and have him sqeeze that. Brown that with a little onion or bell pepper or something then mixed an egg in it. In a nice buttery glass dish layer eggplant, potato, more eggplant and bake it at 375 for 30 minutes. That's the same temp and time it takes to make chicken parmesan so do both. Delish. Spread sour cream over the tater/eggplant dish when it's on the plate.

I want a masters degree. Where's the best online place to get one?
Old 08-28-2005, 01:57 PM   #28  
fatter than U

Talking fried in lard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpernia
I am digging into my memory and I KNOW I got no such gift when I began 1st grade in Germany. I began K-2 in Germany and all I recall is when they lined us all up against the wall (in chairs), took one shoe and said they'd either bring it back with candy or coal.
Hmm. Maybe they didn't do the Schultütething in all parts of Germany back then. Was it a German school or a U.S.military school? The thing with the shoes happens on Dec. 6 - St. Nikolaus Day. They still do that but you only get coal if you were really, really naughty.

Quote:
Also, we were regularly entertained with WONDERFUL puppet shows
That's the Kasperle Theater. They still do that too.

Quote:
and made to sing a song about a boy who did not cut his hair or nails. They grew straight out and prevented him from performing normal tasks or being accepted into the country club. He had strong nails.
Yes! That's Struwwlpeter, pictured below.

Quote:
Chop an eggplant...
Mmmm! I LOVE eggplant. I'll have to try that recipe and eat it all myself so I too can have even bigger bags of lard hanging over my pants.

Quote:
I get fascinating e mail all the time telling me how to get a masters degree in a week. I'll look into it for you. But seriously, you should talk to Cherry. I think she did her on line studies at U of Maryland? Not quite sure though.

I am horrified that that hurricane is now hitting poor New Orleans. Not nice at all and they have so much water there. Cookie doesn't live near there, does she?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg struwwelpeter.jpg (2.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-28-2005, 02:42 PM   #29  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatzi
The Box has been unpacked, the bubble wrap popped, and it's beginning to look like a real home..
Doesn't that just give you a great feeling of accomplishment--getting all that bubble wrap popped?
Quote:
all I recall is when they lined us all up against the wall (in chairs), took one shoe
Holy cow! Good thing you were just a tot at the time and didn't have the image "firing squad" in the back of your mind...
Quote:
Shots, I had not realized you moved to NC without DH having a JB. How nice of DH to do that for ME. I need company.
Well, don't forget mine is maintaining his unemployment for your benefit as well. And he didn't do anything underhanded to get laid off, either.
Quote:
Why, I get offers all the time to get a degree in 2 weeks! The problem is you don't get enough spam in your email.

Well, we never did any waterskiing or tubing yesterday, but we did have a very nice boat ride all the way up to the end of the lake, and stopped at a little island where've we camped on the beach years ago. It was just a gorgeous day to swim and hang out on the beach, so that's all we did. It was lovely.

Kiwi
Old 08-28-2005, 02:48 PM   #30  
Member w/ messiest house

Not sure how I managed it, but it apparently took me about 3 hours to post that message...
Closed Thread