Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 05:34 PM   #121  

Sugar, do I want to be the new Martha??? I heard she's getting an extension added to her house arrest because she's been going to yoga classes and thats not allowed. Actually if I was under house arrest maybe I'd get some of the things done that I need to. Maybe I do want to be the new Martha.

So Sugar, you never did give us the "all about you" post. And you never told me what to do with this bike. You have boys, would you like me to send it to you?

Kiwi, have you fallen for the doggie yet? Maybe you need a lap dog this time around.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:54 PM   #122  
Member w/ messiest house

Default Stinkin' physical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpernia
Kiwi, CONGRATSSSSSS on those THREEE POUNDS!!! Why is lb the abbrevation for pound? Anyway, yay for Kiwiwiwiw
Sorry, those are the same 3 pounds I've been claiming since I put up that thingie. Matter of fact, the discrepancy between that and the doctor's scale? Let's just say I came home and opened a beer and read a book for an hour in an effort to forget.

One the other hand You lost one pound. or libra. From the Latin for scales.

I am also trying to forget the fact that I "discovered" that we have no health insurance. Somehow I thought DH was taking care of this. Silly me. He claims he told me we wouldn't have any right now. I don't care; I still think he should have taken care of it.

Wabbit, honey, don't you dare start night bingeing! That is what's wrong with me. Believe me, once you get in the habit, you're done for.

You should definitely advertise that lost bike -- does your local paper take free "found" ads? Just don't describe it very much so you can rule out the fakers.

My life is so freaking depressing. The only bright spot I can think of is that because we have no health insurance I am certainly not going to go in for all those lab tests they always want me to do, which will tell me that I should lower my cholesterol and they would love to make an appt with a dietitian for me. Which I haven't done for the past 2 years but feel guilty about. This year I can just blame it on DH.

The raspberries are ripe. Very appropriate for how I feel today. One big raspberry: pbpbpbpbpbpbbpb

Kiwi
Old 08-03-2005, 06:04 PM   #123  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabby
I heard she's getting an extension added to her house arrest because she's been going to yoga classes and thats not allowed.
What a dope! Hey, if I were under house arrest, I'd be happy as he**. Point me to the TV.

Nah, this dog is a real sweetie and I'm fond of her, but she's not for me. Not enough fur. She's a bit like a poodle, maybe less hair than that. Although I think she was clipped at some point. Anyway, I need a furry dog, but I'd just as soon be able to see her eyes -- she's got all this long silky hair over her eyes. Plus she's too durn delicate. I'm always afraid I'm going to step on her.

I've never owned a little dog, but I'm afraid that it's way too easy not to do much training, because it's so easy to just pick them up! This little girl is very good about Sit, Stay, No, but does not come when she's called.

Kiwi
Old 08-03-2005, 07:25 PM   #124  

One big raspberry? You mean sweet, juicy, and flavorful??? That's our Kiwi!! Hey, since we already know what the lab tests will tell us, why don't we start fixing it ourselves? You know, eat lean stuff, veggies, exercise??? Instead of taking food away, lets add something healthy every day. One piece of fruit, drinking water, a walk. The good might eventually crowd out the bad and voila, we'd all be in shape! I think I could probably force a piece of fruit down.

I saw a chinese crested last weekend and it was nekid all over except tufts of hair over it's eyes, a topknot and a poof on it's tail. Maybe they had it groomed that way. I personally love weiner dogs, but they're just too darn hard to housetrain. Every one I've ever known was a piddler.

Kiwi, I was going to say there are no free lost and found ads, but I called the local paper and even though they don't advertise it, they do have free ads for found items!!! You're so smart. So now I have an ad coming out in the paper next tuesday. Hope I can reunite a kid with his bike.

I'm going to go get the first pedicure of the season. DH was rubbing my feet last night and, well, after he took a good look at them, he politely put them down. I figured it's time to do something about them, and since I'm so fat, I'm going to let somebody else do it. It's getting hard to reach my toes.

I'm going to a baby shower on Sunday. My cousin and wife have adopted a 10 month old boy. So cool.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:40 PM   #125  

I am almost used to the drafts on my head.
Not so used to the 1940's swim-cap feeling when I have my wig on... but so far nobody has stopped in the street and pointed to me yelling "wig-head!" or anything like that.

I think the chemicals they give men must be different than what we get for breast cancer. Us lay-people just say chemo and think it's all the same. I'm coming to believe that it is pretty individualized.

Awwwwwww, Kiwi, I am horribly sorry that health insurance evaporated or whatever... but for heaven's sake if you suspect anything is wrong GO GET THE TESTS. Go to an ER if you have to. I think it's really hard to get well if you are already half dead. If you think you're in status quo, well try not to let it go too long anyhow. When I chat with women on the B.C. pages I am just SO relieved mine was caught before it spread... nobody wants cancer with momentum, you know?

Yeah pedicures!!

Peachy... where was DS coming back from this time? I think a tow truck driver with a hamburger is an awesome discovery...

Amazing those folks got off the plane safely in Toronto... What a mess... I bet they didn't get to take their purses, knitting bags, carry-ons with them down the chute, you know? Let alone any checked luggage.

Ms. Wabbs, Martha wannabe-- I think you can get the Bunko lunch done... I'm doing two desserts tomorrow for my ladies group... Both are from the Cake Doctor's 1st book... One is a lemon cake and the other is keylime bars...
That'll help my diet, no?
At least I didn't have dessert tonight.... and I'm almost caught up on water.

Stay safe, y'all, OK?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:02 PM   #126  
loves kleenex box art

I demand that Kiwi go do that doctor thing

Painty, DS went to see his dad in Miami last week.

Wabby, around here the radio stations would announce the found bike. I guess that's Dogpatch for you.

Back to Kiwi. I so relate to that depressing life thing. Let's eat less and see if it helps. Did I tell you lately how I hate my boss? For one thing, she told me I would be getting a raise the first of July. No raise yet. I reminded her and she said, "I'll have to get to that," like I'd told her her potted plant needed watering.

School starts tomorrow. The bus won't bring DS home because:
1. They don't see how they can turn the bus around. Buses go up and down the road all the time but not THEIR bus.
2. They don't want to do "so much" door-to-door service because it keeps kids on the bus too long. This means they want to drop him ONE MILE from home. I asked what if it's storming? I didn't get an answer.

Blah Blah.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:12 PM   #127  
Member w/ messiest house

Okay, settle down all of you. There is nothing wrong with me; these are routine tests they order every time I have a physical. I don't need to pay big bucks to find out there's nothing wrong me but borderline high cholesterol. I already know that. When DH gets off his butt and deals with the insurance and/or job situation, then I will go in for the lab tests, and not before. So there.

All my relatives used to wear those lovely rubber swim caps when they swam in my grandfather's pool. I particularly remember the ones with a chin strap that fastened with a snap; they had floppy flowers on the side. Oo, fashion. You might discover that you prefer the wind on your head, Painty!

Wabby, chinese crested dogs come in naked and hairy varieties, so that one was probably naturally nekkid. The hairy ones are called Powder Puff variety.

Yay on the bike ad.

Gotta go, DD wants to check phone messages. She has such a busy social calendar.

Kiwi
Old 08-04-2005, 01:37 PM   #128  

I'm old enough to have had one of those swim cap things. They were required at our city pool if you had longer than shoulder lenghth hair. Something about getting hair in the pool filter. Mine had a chin strap and was made of bubble wrap type stuff and had big plastic flowers attached. Tres chic.

Peaches, I thought they only did radio announcements for lost bikes in Mayberry. Pooh on the boss. She's not doing her job if she promises a raise and then doesn't follow through. School bus service is not provided to kids who live within a mile of schools here. So of course the parents drive, no one is going to make their kid walk in the nasty winter weather we have here. However, my big gripe is that if kids do ride the bus, they don't make them walk any distance at all to a bus stop. The bus stops every 20 feet along the road if a kid is standing there.

Painty, I'd say that you should win the Martha award this week. You're in the middle of chemo treatments and you're entertaining a ladies group???? You go girl! Don't let 'em tire you out too much. Have you ever noticed when you have a large group of ppl at your house that all the cobwebs and dog slobbers multiply ten fold?

My toenails are purdy.

We're supposed to get to 100 degrees today. ick.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:32 PM   #129  
Member w/ messiest house

Why how shocking--cobwebs and dog slobber? Shame shame. When I sit at the computer I can see the framed print on the wall that has so much dust on the frame that it actually drapes.

100 degrees in Oregon? Wow.

They don't have bus service here for high school kids unless they live 2 or more miles from school I think (it's closer for younger kids). And most of them drive themselves to school. Yeah, in this depressed economy (2 years ago we had a 33% unemployment rate), the kids have cars. And apparently gas money. My kid is so deprived. Of course, my philosophy is, if she wanted a car, she would be motivated enough to work and pay for it. She's not, so it doesn't bother me. But this year we will be having a discussion about how much she gets my car, and who's paying for gas.

Isn't there any chance of carpooling for DS? Wait a minute, did you say he only had to walk a mile? I just realized when you said storming, you meant rain, not ice and snow. Let him walk.

Kiwi
Old 08-04-2005, 05:44 PM   #130  
loves kleenex box art

LOL Kiwi. I'll tell him you decided he walks. Actually, he took the bus planning to walk today but it was raining so she took him to the door. Dunno why.

Dogpatch is just like Mayberry. In fact, if Lush had not named it Dogpatch, it could've been anything. Could've been Coon Holler.

I can go home in 15 minutes.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:43 PM   #131  

I can go home in 50 minutes.

I'm cranky and hot. And since this is Oregon and isn't supposed to get hot, I have no air conditioning, unless you want to count the little room size one in my bedroom window. I had to leave my dogs in the house today because of the heat. I hope they haven't gotten into trouble while I've been away. durn mutts.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:01 PM   #132  

I AM home, it is beginning to look stormy and I need to go TO the ladies meeting in 30 minutes (I'm just taking dessert... so the cobwebs and cathair (no slobber, though) are safe for a while longer.

Turns out that my kids thought THEY would live forever and MY illness is making them rethink whether they might get going a little faster. My daughter says she thought she'd be married by now and having kids... She hasn't even dated many guys!! Son is on a faster track... but nothing's for sure. On the other hand both of them are WAY more independent than I was until I hit 40.

OK. Off to pack the lemon cake and key-lime bars.....
Old 08-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #133  
Member w/ messiest house

Oh man, lemon cake and key-lime bars. I want. I did make a very nice dinner for DD and me. I made up a box of Near East Tabouli. Yummy, with fresh tomatoes. And I defrosted a rather small steak, marinated it and broiled it to absolute perfection. Then she and I split it. I can eat much healthier when I am only cooking for DD than when it's all 3 of us or just DH and me. He's not much into healthy food. His idea of adding vegetables to his diet is to fry up an onion. Not that I can resist such a thing, you know. But DD prefers little meat, lots of veggies.

By the way, I have learned the most wonderful steak broiling technique from Good Eats. I love that show. Very wonky. I had long ago quit broiling steaks because they always seemed to get overcooked, but I may go back to it. Here it is: Probably worthwhile marinating the steak, or at least rubbing it with some seasoning, but I guess you don't have to. Then you position the oven rack in the middle of the oven, throw the steaks directly onto it, with a pan to catch the drips on the rack below (or you can use a broiler pan, it seems to work as well). Broil (set at high temp, with door ajar) 5 minutes on each side for a medium sized steak. I used 4 minutes each side for this small steak. Then reposition the rack to the highest or 2nd highest position (and reposition the drip-tray rack too) and continue to broil for 2 or 3 minutes on each side. Remove, allow a few minutes to "rest" and slice across the grain. Juicy and perfect. mmm

Now maybe that's the way most people broil steaks, but it was news to me.

My puppydog sitting is done. Her daddy has retrieved her. She was very good, and cute.

Kiwi
Old 08-05-2005, 12:49 PM   #134  

Thanks for the steak broiling tips, Kiwi. I usually cook steaks outside on the grill, even in the winter, but I may just try your method. I love Good Eats too. That's one cooking show that you really learn something from. DS is asking for a bbq grill for a moving out present. He loves to cook, but mainly on the grill. He made us some killer grilled chicken a couple nights ago. The secret is to use a spice rub, then as you're grilling it, sprinkle it w/ apple juice. It cooks up all crispy and smokey tasting. Yummers.

Painty, your desserts sound yummy. I love anything lemony. My DD told me she felt so "old" (at 25!, hah!) because so many of her friends are getting married and having babies. She's not seeing anyone seriously, so I think she needs to find Mr. Right first.

It's supposed to stay under 90 today. I hope. hope. hope.

I've eaten a piece of fruit 3 days in a row. Anyone else?
Old 08-05-2005, 02:08 PM   #135  
loves kleenex box art

Doesn't the house get all smokey from those oven-steaks. I'm afraid.

It's raining here a lot.

I haven't eaten fruit, except apples, but lots 'o veggies. Right now, I'm eating salad made with:

lettuce
cheese tortollinis (spell it yourself)
red bell pepper
black olives
carrots
snow peas
turkey
ham
fresh parsley
parmesan
provolone

Very good. It's from last night's dindin.
Closed Thread