Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 12:40 PM   #106  
Member w/ messiest house

Oh, sure, now I look like some kind of ranting lunatic. Oh well, what else is new?

It's a wonder DS can bring himself to start school every year. DD only has to put up with us taking "1st day of school photos" of her every year as if she were 6 years old. Not kidding, I'm pretty sure we have one from every year, mostly with her doing this: Good luck with the car.

One time my car skidded off the road in the snow (no damage or anything) and DD's bus driver stopped to give me and my dog a ride home. DD was suitably embarrassed.

Went to real-life-bbq yesterday. Met some people, saw some people I already knew. Was a fun bbq, too bad I didn't enjoy it that much. Don't know what my problem is. Have you ever had a conversation with someone you hardly know who seems to keep saying things that make you feel bad about what you said to her? At the time, I felt like the most tactless person on the planet, but DH was in the same conversation and saying the same sort of thing I was, so it wasn't just me. Later I looked back and decided it was this other person just trying to make us feel small. Here's how some of the conversation went: she asked about DH's niece because she knew her well when Niece was younger, so we told her what she was up to, DH kind of talking her up because he's quite proud of her. She kept shaking her head and smiling and saying things like "that girl!" and "she had a whole other side to her". She didn't say anything really awful about her, it seemed that she wanted to discredit her to us. Then we got to talking about DS's nephew, who is in pharmacy school, and how he is interested in hospital setting work because he thinks it will be more interesting than retail drug store work. She says her daughter is a retail pharmacist and loves it -- oops. We sort of backpeddle. Then I mention that Nephew still has his psychiatric rotation to do (like an internship) and how hard I've heard that can be. She says her daughter loved that part. See what I mean? Only a masochist would want to hang around with someone like her.

Here's something I may have to really consider: I have 2 friends whose, um, figures have always made me feel not so awfully bad about mine. Mainly because they are just about the same size as me and don't seem to be concerned about it. Well, one of them went on the South Beach Diet and lost enough weight that she looks really good. The other has been going to Curves and has lost tons of inches in various strategic places and feels really good about that--she hasn't lost any weight but she hasn't been dieting at all either. I have done nothing and look fat and hate it. I should learn something from this, right? Maybe I'll get the stinkin SBdiet book out of the library and see if I could stand to follow it.

Kiwi
Old 07-31-2005, 10:21 PM   #107  
loves kleenex box art

About your bbq buddy ... it sounds like she was trying to make you feel bad. Go back and tell her you're glad her kids like whatever they like but "one size does not fit all."

We're dieting. Yay. Tell me what the plan is and I'll do it with you.

You know my email address is fresh and spamless. Last week, I went to a highly regarded recipe website that I used to use under the old email address and registered. But before I completed the registration, I decided not to and backed out. Immediately, I started receiving spam. I've written to tell them that someone may be hacking into their security system. Annoying.

C yous.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:15 PM   #108  

Back from the DH's family reunion weekend. Fun time was had by all, weather was perfect, ate too much, was lazy, came home tired. We had over 85 family members there.

Kiwi, I hate it when my "food buddies" go on diets. I mean, sure you can go out to eat with them, but it's hard to enjoy a meal when you can't get anybody to split dessert with you...... but seriously, I'm considering Overeaters Anonymous. There was an article in O magazine this month about it. I need to lose 30 pounds. Not a big deal, right? Well, I make it a big deal. I have wasted so much energy on the same d*mn 30 pounds it's ridiculous. I'm thinking that I need something other than a diet or program. I know WW's backwards and forewards. It's not the mechanics of losing weight that I need some help with. I need to figure out how to not make food and my weight the focus of so much of my life. I want to get healthy. I want to be proud of my eating and exercise habits. Bye the way, Kiwi, you look Mah-velous in your picture. So summery and sun-kissed.

'Bye, Schatzi! Good luck with the transport!

Bagzie, were all the tourists shivering in their Bahamas clothes? More important, did they buy lots and lots? Congrats on the puddy-tat. DS will be taking our kitty with him when he moves. I won't miss refereeing between the dogs and kitty. Sometimes our Dotty dog acts like she'd like kitty for a snack.

I wonder if Sugar managed to learn Spanish before the guests arrived?

My little suburb has cut back on library hours again, yet they have funding to have "the Oregon City trolley", which is a bus with a trolley body on it, drive up and down the street in front of our shop all day with no one in it. And that's what I'm mad about today.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:58 PM   #109  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpernia
About your bbq buddy ... it sounds like she was trying to make you feel bad.
True, except for the "buddy" part -- I hardly know her and don't intend to be talking to her any time soon. I'm sure she knows exactly what she's saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabby
My little suburb has cut back on library hours again, yet they have funding to have "the Oregon City trolley", .., drive up and down the street in front of our shop all day with no one in it.
How ******ed. And how typical of town governments. Libraries cater mostly to children, women and seniors, why would we want any of them to have good access to such insignificant things as books? If your town council is anything like ours (although not really ours because we don't live in town), when it's not spending its time on infighting, it's trying to beef up failing businesses and attract tourists. Resident needs, education in particular, are not a priority at all. Our library (to which we have to subscribe every year because we don't live in town) has these hours: weekdays from 1-5. One day they are open until 7 I think. No weekends in the summer, maybe Saturday in the winter, but I think they cut that out too. And this is not some tiny little rinky dink library, it's really a rather good one. If you can just catch it open.

Let's see -- what else can I rant about? I have my doggy boarder here now. Although I can't seem to get DH to leave for his sailing trip. He's snoozing in the living room. The dog is going to be very high maintenance, because she has a broken leg -- she shouldn't jump or run. Fortunately she is very portable. Here's 2 pics of her. The first one shows her cast and the vile collar they sometimes have to put on her to keep her from licking. The 2nd is pre-accident.

Kiwi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winch_collar.jpg (37.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg winchie.jpg (37.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-02-2005, 02:40 AM   #110  

Well, it got to be August, didn't it?
Kiwi-- I agree that the BBQ person knew what they were doing... I have a "friend" who always has to make sure her children were better than anyone else's around. It is annoying, because I had my own concerns about whether I was a good enough mom and she makes all my insecurities buzz. Of course, for a while there it looked like my daughter was gonna date girls, and that my son was going to be the new tattooed man... so when I proudly told those stories she shut up.

Wabby - When I was in Maine, their little library was ON the trolley stop line and they had a very good loan plan for summer resorters. I think it also helped that the primary librarian had either donated or raised money for a new wing!!
Congratulations for surviving the BIG family reunion. Neither DH nor I have much family (nor care for them all that much)... so we don't do reunions. My ex's family was actually pretty neat about that.... Tons of Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, red wine and meatball sandwiches. Big enough that you could get lost and take a nap if you wanted to.

Cow... I hope your car repairs are simple and straight forward. I get so out of sorts when my car is unreliable. Glad that there have been a few kind souls to bail you and DS out of deserted roads. I hope you can find a photography class/camera/ or whatever resources you need to indulge your creative muse. I am really enjoying painting more... and knitting (still). I also bought some beading supplies and a simple how-to book after being inspired by 500 beaded objects.

Shatzi... safe arrival in NC..

And, I literally pulled most of my hair out today. At first I looked like a Kewpie doll on crack. Then DH got out his clippers... so I look like the worlds fattest concentration camp survivor. My cat still recognizes me though. DH is sort of skittish and keeps rubbing my head... as if he's testing to see if it is still me. I must admit, the wig covers a multitude of sins! I'll definitely wear it for clients.

Tomorrow I must write bills, draw and start clearing out guest rooms for children who are coming to make sure I'm not completely 'round the bend.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:08 PM   #111  
fatter than U

Cool

I'm too busy being self-absorbed to post.

Oh Painty! I suppose it was inevitable, but it must be quite weird. Glad you're taking the challenge with a sense of humour. I bet the wig looks fab on you and you'll have your own tresses back in no time.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:29 PM   #112  

Painty, now you will see what a perfect head you have.

My lilies are blooming. My yard smells heavenly.

Sugar, tell us more. Tell us all about what you're self absorbed about. You don't have to be chatty or say hi to anybody. Just come back here and post all about you.

Kiwi, how can this "bbq buddy" top your DD's accomplishments? Besides, it's not a contest. My ds has his share of tatoos, also, and well, my daughter choosing a bartending career wasn't my idea of what I'd like her to be doing, but I'm proud of both of them. They are wonderful human beings, who are both confident and happy. They love and respect their mom and dad. What more can I ask for? If this "friend" is this obnoxious as a rule, I'd steer clear of her.

Hi to everybody else. I hope your car is back on the road again, Peach.

Last edited by Wabby; 08-02-2005 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:59 PM   #113  
Member w/ messiest house

Don't worry, this was not a "friend" even in the loosest interpretation of the word.

Well, my little puppydog charge is still licking her wrapped leg, and her e-collar is safely locked up at someone else's house who I can't get hold of. So I'm thinking of making her a collar. I'm sure she'll really appreciate that.

We are having the weirdest weather. Yesterday it was thunderstorms and hard driving rain, and 60 degrees. This morning it was sunny and warm, beautiful. Then came the rain again. Now it's sunny again. I'm getting confused.

Painty, I'm smilling to think of you as a kewpie doll on crack. Hope you and DH are soon totally used to your new head.

Kiwi
Old 08-03-2005, 06:37 AM   #114  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

hi gang----we took the dd's {dh's} to board the plane to TORONTO yesterday at noon---they were heading back to Colorado----THEY GOT STUCK ON THE PLANE FOR SIX HOURS AFTER IT LANDED!!!no food of course--they are all so cheapie now----also from their windows they could see smoke rising from the wreckage of the flight from Paris------------an insane day for sure--naturally they missed all their connectors which were grounded as well and had to go into downtown Toronto to find a hotel===we booked one for them as they are too young to be allowed to do so--then we had to send emailed promises that we absolve them of all liability!--they took the mini bar out of the room--------crazy----anyway---just a short update on a topsy turvy summer!!!----PAINTY!!! glad you are managing so well--you are an inspiration for SURE!!! love your comments!
Old 08-03-2005, 11:05 AM   #115  
loves kleenex box art

Painty, I was just thinking that I can not name one man who has lost his hair because of chemo but seeing women going through this is almost routine. I have seen several women either wearing wigs or sporting their bald heads .. then hair comes back and it's sort of odd looking ... then SOON they are wearing short hair that is their own and EVERY SINGLE TIME, they just look stunning and gorgeous. There's just a peaceful feeling, maybe, seeing them conquer this but I think the women I see also are taking care with makeup to work with that short hair and they are SO BEAUTIFUL. I know it must be shocking to actually see some part of your body falling apart but it's winter for your scalp. Soon, it will be spring and a beautiful new crop will decorate your lovely face. You sound lucky to have that DH by the way.

DS had planes cancelled too and they kept him on the runway (for a shorter period of time) and he arrived starving. Since the car broke down at the airport and they own no vending machines and the restaurant closed as the plane arrived, I felt like I wasn't doing a good job as a mom. I shoulda seen this coming and arrived with a casserole in my purse. The tow truck driver had picked up hamburgers on the way and gave DS one, saving the day.

In the past, I have heard of flights being cancelled and the airlines actually footing the bill to keep minors in hotels by the airport. What do they expect them to do? Wait by the gate until some pervert comes and takes his pick? Snarl.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:07 AM   #116  
Member w/ messiest house

Wow, what a pain that must have been (they probably enjoyed the adventure of it, though). Just glad they weren't on the plane that crashed.

I have nothing to say. I think I'll go have some coffee. I have to go get a physical this afternoon. I wished I'd cancelled it. That's how I usually feel about doctor's appts.

Kiwi
Old 08-03-2005, 11:17 AM   #117  
Member w/ messiest house

Oh, hi Peachie, how'd you sneak that message in there?

The sick thing about airport food is that the big airports are stock full of crappy overpriced food, so much so that I don't think most people give a damn anymore whether you get anything on the actual flight (do we not spend at least twice the time in the airport as we do flying anyway?), so the people who end up spending their time in the little airports with nothing much to offer are totally out of luck. Not to mention the people who blew their savings on the freakin plane ticket and don't have $20 extra for a hamburger.

Oh and bless that little tow truck driver's heart.

Kiwi
Old 08-03-2005, 12:17 PM   #118  
loves kleenex box art

Kiwi, CONGRATSSSSSS on those THREEE POUNDS!!! Why is lb the abbrevation for pound? Anyway, yay for Kiwiwiwiw
Old 08-03-2005, 12:45 PM   #119  

Bagzie, what an ordeal for the girls. And wasn't it amazing that there were no fatalities on that Paris flight?

3 pounds Kiwi? Atta girl! What are you doing to lose? I need your secrets. I woke up at 3 am and had 3 slices of cheese and finished off some Butter Pecan ice cream. I've never been a night binger. Somebody slap me.

I'm hostessing bunco this coming Saturday. My house is a wreck, the weather is in the 90's and I'm too hot and cranky to do anything about it. Here's the menu - chicken salad on croissants, broccoli salad, pasta salad, cut up melons pieces w/ cream cheese dip, a layered pesto cheese thingie I saw on Paula's home cooking show, and a Costco cheesecake for dessert. Do you think I'll get it all done? And in the middle of it, DS is packing up boxes in the middle of the living room because he's supposed to move the following weekend.

A very nice BMX bike was left in the parking lot of our shop. We've put it out in front of the lot every day, hoping someone will claim it. I don't want to turn it into the police because they'll just sell it at the city auction, but what do I do with it? Some kid is very upset over losing his bike. I wonder if someone stole it for a joyride and then left it when they got tired of it. Somebody tell me what to do.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:59 PM   #120  
fatter than U

Wabby is the new Martha!!! Of course you can do it, Wabs!
Closed Thread