Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 08:49 AM   #46  
Empress/Queen

Karla, sorry, misspelled thy name in post above!

Yea, E, I read the rest o' the book last night and think it's right on track. Didn't realize I was so into the BFL lifestyle without knowing it, also found the "mind" sections useful ... discussion of thought stopping so on target for me. And the workout section is pretty much what the trainer tells me to do. I enjoy that there's not an absolute hard 'n fast workout you are supposed to do, more on the side of giving principles and addressing advanced exercisers also, plus she addresses the issue of increasing intensity with supervision, which I think is important in some cases (mine).

Taking it to gym and work with me. Again, not going to do a formal 12-week program right now but kind of into this as a lifestyle. May have trainer take pic.
[/b]
Old 06-17-2005, 06:20 PM   #47  
deleted2

Default Thursday

coffee w/ 1/2 and 1/2
ww bagel w/ cream cheese

2 fruit-sweet. ww fig bars

cucumber, carrot, red pepper stix w/ humuus
2 hard-boiled eggs
corn chips w/ 2 tbsp/ guac.
1 cup watermelon

brown rice pasta w/ roasted vegetables, feta
steamed brocolli
coconut-date bar

blueberry fruit bar [one of those all-fruit organic roll-up thingies]

water: 7 glasses
calories: 1850 [a bit higher than I'd like]
fruit/vegs: 8 servings

exercise: 30 min tae bo

LONG day at work. Kind of a surprise--I knew I was going to bethere a long time, but thought I'd have a 3 hour break where I could retreat to the historic house and take a nap and do a little yoga, but things came up and I worked straight thru. Really glad I brought all that food and didn't give in to my random sugar cravings--and really glad I got in some cardio before leaving home.

Old 06-18-2005, 06:23 AM   #48  
deleted2

Default Friday--June 17

coffee w/ 1/2 and 1/2
ww bagel w/ cream cheese

strawberry fruit bar [an all-fruit thing]

cucumber, carrot, red pepper stix w/ humuus
2 hard-boiled egg whites
tortilla chips
watermelon

2 ww fig bars***1 lite string cheese

ww macaroni and cheese
steamed brocolli
2 tbsp. peanut butter

water: 7 glasses
calories: 1760
fruit/vegs: 7 servings

exercise: 35 min. lower body stuff

Had more grain servings than I should've today--with the bagel and the ww macaroni. At least it was all whole grain stuff. Another long day at work--I was so tempted to blow off my workout but did it when I got home. Yet another reason to exercise early in the morning.
Went to see my father last night and on the way home we stopped by a park with a walking trail [with nightlights for walking after dark] and got in a mile there so that's something.

Old 06-18-2005, 06:26 AM   #49  
deleted2

We're going on a little day trip today. We both feel like we need a treat. My challenge today will be taking care with my food while we're out in the big world. Will report later.

Anybody have any big weekend plans?

Old 06-18-2005, 02:20 PM   #50  
Empress/Queen

My weekend plan is to get rid of some of this work so Monday will be better, but I doubt if I'll get it all done! I am cooking chicken and asparagus.

E, re your comment on my journal about discussing the BFL for Women book, I would love for us on this thread to do that. I am really getting a lot out of it. I like the story of the business woman who lamented that working out was "just another job she had to get done" ... I've said that to my trainer many times. I like the point of the story: that you have to "humbly" (why humbly?) accept the work that goes along with taking care of yourself. I wonder if we could post the "pledge" that's in that section?

How is everyone doing with their challenges? I can only see one page in my browser right now, so huzzah to all here, mentioned and unmentioned!!!
Old 06-19-2005, 11:10 AM   #51  
deleted2

Smile The Pledge

I will give to myself as I give to others.
I will value my health as I value the health of my loved ones.
I won't ask "Should I or shouldn't I?" about matters of self-care.
I will just do it.
I humbly accept that I must work to be the best I can be.
I will choose to work for myself, rather than abandon myself.
I will embrace adversity as an opportunity to test my mental and physical strenghth.

Thanks for suggesting sharing it, A!

Old 06-19-2005, 11:20 AM   #52  
deleted2

Default Saturday

coffee w/ 1/2 and 1/2
scrambled egg sub. w/ peppers, onions, black beans, cheese
3 slices soy 'bacon'

Salad [spring mix, goat cheese, pine nuts, vinaigrette]
3 small slices pizza [artichoke, tomato, pesto]

smoothie [blueberries, cocnut-pineapple juice, apple juice, protein powder]
agave-sweetened brownie

water: 3 glasses
exercise: 1 hour walk

We had breakfast at home--everything else we had out. I really had a craving for pizza so we went to one of those gourmet places where the crust is really, really thin--so at least it wasn't a lot of white flour dough.
Toward the end of the day I was feeling really tired and my first impulse was to get some coffee somewhere like I usually do. Garry suggested that we get a smoothie and make it our dinner. And it really revived me much better than coffee, so that might be our new tradition. We really quizzed the guy at the counter before and it was made with all great stuff.
Didn't really need the brownie, just wanted it....

Old 06-19-2005, 02:37 PM   #53  
Empress/Queen

You're doing great, E!!! Just ignore that Evil Brownie Demon that thrusted itself on ya. Those Brownie s are SO annoyin' ...

Thanks for postin' the pledge. I'm readin' it over daily.

In the meantime, I'm doin' a Firecracker Challenge on the journal. Will see where I go from there. Part of the challenge is to make myself a recipe for stone ground whole wheat tortillas. Even the low carb ones in the stores have ingredients I don't want. Will share the recipe when I figure it out.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:03 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/175

Height: 5'9

Default Hello!

Hi everyone! Ive been MIA a few days now...but looks like you are doing a good job of sticking with it!!
Im on a little break from BFL...I hurt my back on my last workout on Tues. and want it to heal...as for the food, i have joined in with some friends from church in a 10 day 'Daniel" or partial fast (only fruits and veggies and water..) I know this will make my progress slow down a lot but its something i felt i had to do...
As for weekend plans....we went to a wedding yesterday..very beautiful outdoor complete with horse drawn carriage...then drove thru the night to come down to the In laws place and will visit a couple days...makes the fruits and veggies pretty hard to stick with but so far so good....
Im looking forward to having some protein and getting back to my regular workouts when I finish the fast..only 3 more days to go ! I havent checked if I ve lost weight, since i figure itll be right back when I eat 'normally' again...
I cant imagine being a vegetarian!! hungry hungry!

How was everybody's weekend??
Bye
Karla
Old 06-20-2005, 07:06 AM   #55  
deleted2

Actually, Amarantha, I'd get that brownie again. Surprisingly it was made with all "Eydie-legal" ingredients and sweetened with agave syrup. But one was plenty.
Speaking of which--DAY 275 WITHOUT SUGAR!
Good luck with the tortilla project. Let me know how it turns out.

Karla, sorry to hear about your back injury. Are you feeling better? And good luck with the fast! Yep, alittle protein is gonna taste really good when you're done! I'm a vegetarian and I'd be downright mean if I lived on fruits and vegs only!

SUNDAY

coffee w/ 1/2 and 1/2
2 oatmeal-walnut pancakes w/ a little butter, 2 tbsp. maple syrup, 1 cup strawberries***2 pcs. soy 'bacon'

Salad [lettuce, carrots, onion, rd pepper, cukes, 2 hard-boiled egg whites, 1 slice pepper jack, legere's dressing]
1 cup watermelon

2 tbsp. cashews

1 serv. flax-corn chips w/ 1/2 cup beans, salsa, lite sour cream, low-fat cheese. 1/4 cup guacamole
1 cup strawberries

calories: 1810
water; 8 glasses
protein: 45 grams
fruit/vegs: 8 serv.

exercise: 90 min. garden work

Old 06-20-2005, 11:48 AM   #56  

Default Good Mornin

Hello!
Eydie- wow- Ive been reading your meals and didn't even notice you are a vegetarian! What are your favorite veggie sources of protein? And if you could share some of your favorite tofu recipes that'd be great! I used to eat it occasionally, but now with my hubby i gotta work it in slowly......
I hear you can marinate it for good flavor?....We only eat wild game...with the exception of buying chicken breasts..... but I do like to try new things and especially when they are healthy for me!!
Way to go on your BFL progress...keep up the good work!
Everyone else- Hi! have a good day....
Karla
Old 06-20-2005, 01:15 PM   #57  
deleted2

Karla, some of my favorite sources of veg protein are soy products, cheese and eggs, beans and grains, seitan, whey protein powder.
I've never had any luck with marinating tofu---the stuff is just impenetrable IMO! I saute it or roast it with very flavorful ingredients and the tofu takes on the flavors that way. I'm lucky enough to have a source of ultra-firm tofu---it has the consistency of chicken [or what I remember chicken to be like anyway ] and that helps when folks are soy-squeamish. I think so many times people are put off by the squishy slippery texture of regular supermarket tofu.
What kind of things do you like? Let me know and I'll give you a recipe!

Off to do Pilates!

Old 06-21-2005, 04:10 PM   #58  
deleted2

Default monday

coffee w/ 1/2 and 1/2
1/2 cup Ezekial cereal w/ 1/2 c. maple yogurt, 1 cup strawbs, 1 tbsp. flax

2 lite babybel cheeses
red and yellow pepper stix

Salad [lettuce, vegs, beans, egg, goddess dressing]
boca burger w/ tomato sauce
straberry fruit leather

shake [ff milk, banana, choc whey protein, cashew butter]

1 slice whole grain toast w/ a scrape of butter

Calories; 1675
water;9 glasses
protein: 62 grams

exercise: 2 miles treadmill
30 min. Pilates machine

MIND: felt more than a little discouraged today when I weighed myself and it read 140 pounds. That's where I started 13 days ago and I've been really working it. I want to see more progress for all my hard work. Grrrrrr. I was talking to my friend and she asked me if my clothes are fitting any better and if I felt leaner. Have to admit that my clothes are fitting better and I feel leaner--so thanks Cynthia! I've been at this game long enough to know that the number on the scale isn't everything.

MUSCLE: Good workout today. I used one of the programs on my treadmill and it really kept me guessing. Lots of inclines and speeding up! And I really concentrated on my Pilates workout too.

MOUTH: I've been very pleased with my food lately. I'm really trying to fit those snacks in between meals too. How'm I doing, Amarantha?
Went to a party Mon. night and something told me I'd better eat first--so I made myself a huge protein shake and I'm glad I listened to the little voice because it turned out to be a barbecue buffet! Not much there for a vegetarian! The veg options were mayonaisse laden salads and brownies---So I just grabbed a bottle of water and mingled. No problem and no one even noticed. And I came home and had a piece of toast before bed.

Old 06-22-2005, 02:31 AM   #59  

Thumbs up Hey!

Hello All!
How are you? Im still away from home...backs a bit better...will try to hit gym for first time in a week tomorrow....Will go back to BFL eating tomorrow (I hope)..its hard to resist the 'junk' food when we leave home as we have no fast food where we live so I miss it
Im thinking that this last week has probably slowed me down a bit on my 12 week challenge....also the 2 buddies I started it with -1 has quit...the other just got a surprise that she is pregnant....so im solo again...its good to have you gals for support!
I want to fit well into the bridesmaid dress for my sister in just over a month so NO MORE CHEATING on the food (sweets usually) for me!!

Eydie-- wow! keep up the good work and planning! I like all kinds of recipes...mostly stirfrys ir spicy or pasta....any of your favs. would be great!
Have a great day...will try to get my food posted here tomorrow- seeing it written down is always a good motivator!
Karla
Old 06-22-2005, 07:00 AM   #60  
deleted2

Default June 21

coffee w/ 1/2 and 1/2
veg. quiche w/ oat crust

apple ***1 lite babybel cheese

veg. 'meatloaf' w/ tomato sauce
1 1/2 c. green beans, onions, peppers
mocha [coffee, 1/2 and 1/2, fruit-sweet. chcolate sauce]

1 slice whole grain bread w/ cream cheese

pizza [ww pita w/ sauce, veg. 'pepperoni', peppers, onions, cheese]