3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   New 21-Day Challenge!! -- Please join me!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/58507-new-21-day-challenge-please-join-me.html)

redballoon 07-15-2005 06:32 PM

Day 12, here I come!!

Ok, people, making some time here to get back to you. It's Saturday morning and I'm taking off from the gym today. I've been hitting it well, if not always hard, but usually getting in a good workout. Yesterday went okay and I controlled myself. Was able to put food away instead of shoving it ALL in my mouth because it was there. This is always hard to do at work, where people bring in things from trips. Yesterday we had little cakes from Okinawa and Reeses Peanut Butter Cups from Wisconsin. I had one of the cups and put the others in my locker. :smug: This is something I NEVER, EVER could have done before. I would have just scarfed everything done like there was no tomorrow. :corn: I still don't trust myself too much and so I don't make it difficult for myself by buying things that would require me to...like...put part of the opened bag away....away, as in, away in the cupboard, NOT in my stomach! For this, work is actually good, because I will go out and buy a pack of something and give all but a bit for myself away. There are always hungry men to chow down on anything you throw them. Like a pack of hungry dogs! But, I admit to having bought things and then not telling anyhow and eating them all myself! ;) So, today is my Day 12. Wish me luck!

Caro -- Working back in the posts here...I'm happy to see you're seeing progress and moving down the scale! :cp: That said, please, please be careful about getting hung up on the scale. The scale is pretty meaningless. You could be losing lean body weight, not fat, which means you'll be burning even less calories. The idea, basically, is to EAT and exercise and only make your calorie deficit about 500 a day. You are exercising and you know muscle weighs more but, being denser, takes up less space. Take your measurements! Try on tight clothes. See how your shape is changing. This is what you gotta focus on! Ok, maybe you know that. I just get worried when people start talking about the scale.

Ok, blondie! but be careful you don't offend any of our blond members! Tokyo is 13 hours ahead of the East Coast, 14 in the winter ('cause there's no daylight saving time here). Easy way to figure it out...add 1 to your time and change the a.m. to p.m. or the p.m. to a.m. and Tokyo is always ahead. It's going on 7 a.m. Saturday morning here. With you, that would make it going on 6 p.m. Friday evening. Land of the Rising Sun and all that. Got it?!

Ok, getting further back in the posts here, I come to your very interesting talk of the rose-colored glasses coming off. As I said last post, YES, this is it exactly and something I deal with a lot. It's largely what got me in a slump earlier this week. It's part of the tactics we use to deny reality, to see what we want to see and not what we don't. It's like how good we get at avoiding any reflection of ourselves. Oops, mirror, store window!...eyes cloud over, focus blurs...whoo!! close call.... But now, we're showing the courage to hunker down and say, okay, what's the bottom line? and we see it and we want to cry....it's tough but I think what we got to do is get over the emotion and get past the thoughts of what got us there. Like you said before, what's done is done. What can we do about it? And, looking back is okay if it's only to learn what NOT to do. As they say, it AIN'T rocket science! And we're not ninnies. We just..whatever...had other things more pressing than worrying about the flab around our middles. Okay, so now we're going to do something about the flab...calm, cool, collected..that's the way we gotta be. Objectivity is the word! No sniffling, no whining, we are NOT our fat. But our bodies ARE the outcome of what we put in them and what we put them through. Ok, Sherlock, let's crack this case once and for all!

jkg -- That's the way! Planning! Planning! and being prepared. Getting those fruits and veggies in front of you and half the battle's won! Great going!! :cp:

curly -- Hmm. I wonder why vitamins are making people queasy...:?: Must be the additives they put in some of them or the coloring or something. I would try a brand that is totally natural. Well, curly, that's great that you're seeing a posterior peeking through. I love that, when your body starts to change shape that makes it look...well, like there are muscles and bones underneath. :lol: Good for you and you're rolling right along, aren't you? Keep it up! :spin:

Trixi -- How did your BBQ go? Were you able to get through it okay? I'm glad to hear you're getting out and about these days. Okay, emotional stuff is just something we're going to have to deal with. Be glad we got feelings! You got through Day 4. Good for you! :) Keep it up. And, if it makes you feel any better, I too, am suffering in the heat. 90 degrees and above here. Walking through water kind of humidity. But I'm an August baby and I can take the heat! :strong: Good luck, kiddo!

mscat -- You are utterly amazing! An 11:30 p.m. workout. Wow! :eek: How are you doing now? I hope still well. Remember the free day if you ever need it, it's there for you. Yes, jkg, curly, they give us hope. If they can do it, we can too! Yes, "never give up" is my mantra, and that means it's something I need to keep telling myself. Funny, I used to think I was a really persistent type and I was in certain things, but I've realized that there were others that just one disappointment, just one setback, would have me jerk into the fetal position while pretending I "didn't care anymore." Mscat, you can do it! Make your goals! :strong:

Java --- So, Java Turtle, what's this I hear!? A missed journal entry? I don't get it? Can't you just fill it in and kick on? As I said, you can take your free day. I hate to see you lose momentum, but it's your call. If you think it's strategically better to go back to Start now, then so be it. You're doing so well! :yes: And I'm proud of you! :love: You're finding solutions to the sticking points, free weights, calendar. Optimists never stop thinking! You are an optimist! :dancer:

:kickcan:

redballoon 07-15-2005 06:33 PM

Ok, Java, you were posting while I was typing. Back to Start for you! Nothing really lost, so keep it up! I have been back at Start more than you could believe! :lol:

curlylocks 07-15-2005 07:31 PM

day 5 done! Re: the vitamins.. my dad says its the iron in them

Caro30 07-15-2005 07:39 PM

Hi Red! No, I`m really blonde, no offense intended to anyone! :grouphug:

I just have a terrible short term memory. Good thing I started to journal my food because sometimes I can`t remember what I ate 3 hours ago. :dizzy:

I get the time change, Hey I was pretty close! And you are doing great, by the way! I know the scale can really play a mind game with us. I used to get on every single morning, now twice a week is the most. I would like to only weigh once a week, I gotta work on that! But you made a good point that gives me something to ponder, I shouldn`t HAVE to see the numbers going down to feel good. I`m going to try to keep that in mind.

It`s after 7 and not even the elliptical yet :( Theres still hope. I spent the day driving around my brother-without-a-license, mopping and doing laundry, bringing my mom some stuff for apartment, kids have been nutty... I just want to take a nice bath. I`m telling myself, work-out and then enjoy the bath! I hope it happens, I`ll let you all know if I make it.

redballoon 07-15-2005 07:48 PM

Come on, Caro! Just do the exercise, mindless and all and be done with it!! :ebike:

Caro30 07-15-2005 10:03 PM

I did it. 40 minutes elliptical, ten minutes bellydance, 15 minutes with the bands and crunches. What a way to spend a Friday night! :D I usually dont do it all at once. I really need that bath now....

All I know is without having you guys to check in with, I would make tons of excuses not to do it. you are my rock. ;) All of ya!

mscat- I`m having a hard time drinking enough water. Seems to come in spurts, I`ll drink lots for a couple days. and then slack off for a couple. I really gotta crack down on that too. And you`re right to be proud of your exercise accomplishment! Listen to what Red said about the scale, we shouldn`t judge our progress on just those numbers. ;)

Day 12 Here I Come!! See you all tomorrow!!

dkkrf 07-15-2005 10:09 PM

Hi all, so how does the 21 day challenge work? When does it start, and how do I join?

mscat816 07-15-2005 10:54 PM

Friday night sign off!

I estimated my walks from and to the dealership added up to only about 10 minutes of activity. So I kicked myself into gear again and got on the treadmill completing a 25 minute walk at a 4 grade incline even though it was 9:30 at night. So Day 12 is Done! :cb:
Caro - you go girl! :encore: I hear what you and Red are saying about the scale. It's not just that but I feel the extra lbs in my clothes too. Going to start taking my measurements and tonight I had LF cheese, yogurt, and grapes for dinner instead of my usual fare of red meat and starches.

You have a great evening and thanks for the words of encouragement.

redballoon 07-15-2005 11:16 PM

we got a bite!!

Caro!! :woo: Great going!!

mscat -- you too! What resolve! :cp:

dkkrf -- Hi there! Hope you can join us! Check out the thread in the beginning and you'll see the explo. But here's a rehash....just jump in and start on any given day. You pick something that you find a challenge and that you can do EVERY single day for 21 days straight. This is helping us make new habits. Pick anything, exercising, staying on plan, calories, fat count, drinking a certain amount of water, or a behavioral thing, saying something nice about yourself, writing down good things that happened to you, anything that is going to help move you toward goals in your life. It doesn't have to be directly related to losing fat or getting in shape. It can be something to raise your sense of self esteem, self-control or sense of empowerment.

So, you do this every day and check in and tell us all what day you've made it to and root for everyone else if you can (but don't worry if you can't, we'll still help you out).

IF, you flub up, you have to go back to Day 1 and start over again. The idea is to get 21 straight days of sticking to your challenge. You get only one free day, can take it whenever you want. If and when you get through your first round of 21, you start again (I hope) and you get an additional free day for each new round.

Got that? Well, hope to see you starting up. We keep trying over and over again. A lot of us, including myself, had a hard time getting started. I went back to Day 1 over and over again! I think everyone has at least once (correct me if I'm wrong, people.)

Okay, hope to see you! :wave:

redballoon 07-15-2005 11:20 PM

Heh, Java, mscat. I just saw some posts I hadn't seen before when I wrote my last post. Can't read them now but will later. Hang in there mscat if you're having problems. Talk later!

curlylocks 07-16-2005 07:54 AM

mscat: i read someplace that when u have lost weight and u want to continue to get get the same results u did from walking when u were heavier.... that u can wear a back pack and add weight to it..

ya know add ten lbs worth of stuff to the back pack and walk with it ??

i havent tried it ... just saw it on a walking page..

Hotcupojava 07-16-2005 12:38 PM

Weighted walking

I've been flirting with the idea of a weighted vest for a while now. I'd seen one in Prevention and since my ex bought me a Cabela's fishing vest (way too big) and a rod and reel for Valentine's Day once (yeah, you read that right). I decided to weigh my vest with something that would weigh out evenly. I decided to try my ankle weights. The vest now weighs a total of 7.5 pounds. I haven't tried wearing it yet. Uhhh Java? That might be key to getting any benefit from it. ;) But I'll figure this out soon.

I guess this is day # 2. Since I flubbed up. Maybe it would be easier to start it on Monday since that's my weigh in. And by that I do NOT mean drift until then. I'm working hard at losing, so I'm not looking for a break from my hard work. Just an easier way to keep track.

I did three miles on the outdoor track last night. I had my police radio with me and I felt MUCH safer. No one showed up (except for one of my officers, coming to check on me). I was a sweaty but pleased Turtle. I just need to get my food under control. I guess I've been kidding myself, because when I totaled up my daily points, I'd gone over and used all my flex points. I need to get more serious about finding foods lower in points to fill up on. Like point free foods (are there any?).

Okay, thunder boomer moving in, so I'd better shut down the computer and get in the shower for work. Too bad I don't live in a more secluded area, I could got OUTSIDE and shower. LOL.

I'll check in from work. It's my F*R*I*D*A*Y! :bike: Enjoy your week end girls.

curlylocks 07-16-2005 01:03 PM

Went this morning before work and did my workout... day 6 here.... will report back in later about my walk... rod & reel huh? sounds good to me.... unless the X bought it cuz he wanted to use it lmao ..

I am hoping the sun will come back out after 2:00 when i get off work ... i need to work on my tan .. its fading on me...

got my walk in..

Hotcupojava 07-16-2005 06:47 PM

A 21 day check in from work

Yep! I think I'm starting my day #1 on Monday... same as my weigh in. But don't think I'm coasting through my week end. Nope. I snuck a dumbell from the office gym into the radio room (no, the metal kind... not my BF :lol: ) . I've got it hidden under my counter. I sneak in bicep curls and that behind the head thingie for my "bat wings" when I can. But it's too heavy of a weight. I don't think they have many small weights in there. Muscle men... :dz: And a little bit ago, with the radio on, I stood at my station and did 100 knee lifts (50 on each). Owww that was a bit painful. :stress: But Da Turtle just can't seem to leave the pretzels alone. :ink:

I'll keep sneaking in weights, "Caged Turtle Circles", and knee lifts until my shift is over at 2330 hours and then I'll head to the gym for a full on weight circuit. It's my Friday... WHOOO HOOOOO :cb:

I hope everyone is doing great. I'll be hitting Day # 1 come Monday the 18th. :flame:

mscat816 07-16-2005 08:54 PM

Day 13!

Hi Ladies - I had to leave at 7 a.m. for a workshop and didn't get home until 4:00 p.m. I was so tired I slept until 7:30! Dragged my butt on the treadmill and got 27 minutes at a 4 grade incline. Day 13 - 8 more to go!:cb:
Go curly - you are amazing :cp: and thanks for the tip about the weights - The treadmill is the most convenient mode of exercising for me right now - so I appreciate anything I can do keep it variable.

Java - your resolve even in the face of starting over is so inspiring. What a role model for us all - you are the reflection of "never giving up." Thanks for the isharing about your experience with the weights.