Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 06:52 AM   #241  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Woohoo! What a great way to start my day. I hopped on the scale this morning and BAM! Something I've been doing has finally caught up with me--300 pounds flat! That's 4.5 pounds down from last week (even though last week I was up 1 pound, so really a 3.5 pound loss overall). I thought it was just the scale, so I got off and on it 3 times. Then, since it's a digital, I thought maybe it hadn't calibrated right when I turned it on, so I let it turn off and turned it on again, and still 300 pounds! Thanks for crossing your skinny fingers Aimee--I've got mine crossed for you, too!

So does anyone know where I can get a pedometer? Might they have them at like Walmart or Target with the other exercise stuff (I know they have like workout mats and little free weights and stuff)? Someone on another board suggested I wear it while working at the restaurant to see how much I really walk, and I was like DUH, why didn't I think of that?! That way I know how much exercise I get at work, which will be great to know, especially since I haven't been to the gym in 2 weeks cuz of my toe Now, does a pedometer measure how many steps I take, or how far I walk? Like, will it say 5,000 steps or will it tell me I walked 3 miles all day? Anyone have much pedometer expertise?

Aimee--I'm so glad your first day went well! It's always a relief to transition smoothly. I'm happy it'll help your schdule and focus, too. Think about YOU!

Heather--wow, if you haven't gained at all and TOM is arriving today, I'd call that just as good as a loss! Keep up the good work--we're glad to hear you're doing well (even if you are super busy)!

Kimberley--funny you should call them "potstickers." I had no idea they were called that. The first time someone ordered the "Asian Steamed Dumplings," silly me, that's what I wrote down. Then I get to the computer to put in the order, and I am searching like crazy for anything that resembles that name (asian, dumplings, maybe chicken dumplings, since that's what they're filled with). But oh no, that would be too easy. No, in the computer they are called Potstickers. How on earth was I supposed to know that?! Took me forever to put in that table's appetizer order! Oh, and wanna know a little secret? They're grilled, not steamed, eventhough the menu says steamed--but, sssh, don't tell In any case, as least they're not fried!

Diana--ahh, the joys of being a female indeed! I just actually started a new schedule of the pill where I take 2 back consecutively with no placebos in between, so I only get my TOM every other month (so I guess it's my TOEOM ). I was supposed to have it this week, actually, but I switched right to the next pack, and haven't had any problems yet, so hopefully this every other month cycle will work out for me (some people spot when they start the new pack and were supposed to have full TOM, some people get sick from taking the pill for so long without the placebos in between).

Marge--I'm beginning to think that you were right a week or so ago when you mentioned that maybe I'm not eating enough calories. I had every intention of having 2 low-fat hotdogs for lunch yesterday, but come lunchtime, I opened my lunch bag, and I had only packed the rolls--no hotdogs! that's what I get for being so tired in the morning when I'm packing my lunch! Anyway, I ended up going down and getting a salad at the cafeteria instead, which I'm sure had more than the 340 calories my 2 hotdogs would have been (since I had cheese and egg and regular honey mustard dressing on the large salad). I also had those dumplings the other day, which put me up in calories to almost 1800 for that day, plus over the weekend, we went out twice, and I got a big burger and fries both times. I'm not saying I need to have burgers and fries every day, but maybe I need to up my calories to an average of 1650-1750 instead of the 1400-1500 I have been doing. After all, I am down 4.5 pounds from last week!

So, I don't know if I mentioned, but I joined a local chapter of TOPS over a month and a half ago. Because of the added second job, I have not been able to make it to a meeting since the first night I signed up (the meetings are Thursday evenings). Well, a girl at the restaurant yesterday wanted to work today since she had off and needed the money, so I gave her my shift. Now I get the night off, and I get to go to TOPS. Yay! I updated my ticker and added one for my sister's wedding. I put a goal weight of 200 pounds by then (it's April 22, 2006), but I know that's semi-aggressive, so I won't be crushed if I don't reach exactly 200. I'll take any loss I can get before wearing a sleeveless dress! So far, my day is off to a great start (despite the droopy eyelids)! Hope everyone else's days start off just as well--and stay that way!

Last edited by jillybean720; 04-28-2005 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:15 AM   #242  

GM e1...Kimberley, yes, I saw that it is 30 dollars, am seriously contemplating on joining. WW for me is just too expensive, at least here, and I pay 30 dollars a year to play POGO so what the H ya know? I think, in the long run, it will be worth it, now, to just get DH to agree...another story altogether, lol...let me see, 30 dollars for the entire year, versus almost 20 bucks a Month for WW...hmmmm...And, basically, getting the same sort of guidelines to follow, hmmmm...
well, still having major problems with the neighbor's cat. Now,. please understand, I love cats, but not when they decide to use our entire yard as their litter box. And, NY state law says cats have free reign, they are basically allowed to do whatever they want wherever they want and no one can do a thing about it. That has me slightly perturbed, I mean, Scottie is not allowed to go poop in their yard, or else we get fined, but their cat can basically ruin all of our flower beds we put time and money into and its okay. So we went and invested 20 bucks in this small bottle of stuff that smells like Coyote pee, LOL the thing walked right over it...then we threw Mothballs down, again, walked right over them, and some the thing even scratched into the dirt..So we went ind bought two big jugs of Cayenne Pepper.. I threw a bunch down last night...now, she will probably work her way to the other side of the house today, so I will have to go throw some down there too.. I have never seen anything like this before in my life, I never knew one small cat could do so much damage. And now the other cats are all sniffing around too...what a mess..Any poop I find I am flinging in their yard I know this much...Seriously...I am...
And, on that note, am off...HAGD!
Old 04-28-2005, 07:24 AM   #243  

Jill~ Just saw that...heck yes, you can lose that much by next year, and, no I don't think that is slightly aggrssive at all...8 pounds a month on average, that isn't too much, at least not to me...heck I lost 6 in a month, and plan to cut my portion control so I will lose at least 8 a month. Some people may think that's crazy, but I think, when you are as overweight as we are, it is not too much to strive for. just my opinion...well, HAGD!
Old 04-28-2005, 09:44 AM   #244  
Losing 1/2 of Myself

S/C/G: 324/195/170

Height: 5'9"

Jill - I have a cheap pedometer from Walmart about $5, It's digital, and shows how mant steps I take as well as distance. It also shows calories burned and the time of day. I usually use it when taking the dog for a walk, but it's fun to wear when you go shopping just to see how far you go just walking around the mall. I'd like to wear it next time I mow the lawn just to see how far I walk behind a 22" blade!

Aimee - great to hear the job is going well for you!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 04-28-2005, 10:54 AM   #245  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Wow, lots going on. Hi, Sara

Congrats, Jill! Great loss! The more I read about the body and weight loss, the more confused I feel about it. And then the current opinion changes -- like now they're adjusting the food pyramid. I figure I'll just see what works for me and adjust it when it stops working! ha. I don't know anything about pedometers, you might want to check out America's Walking, we used to watch this show all the time. Talks about pedometers and all sorts of stuff. (BTW, In college we called dumplings pot stickers.)

Good luck on the finals, Heather. I agree that staying the same weight at TOM probably means a loss.

Glad to hear first day went well, Aimee. I had bad cramps in my 20s, and a really heavy period. I never really did anything about it, and over the years I stopped having the bad cramps. It probably is worth looking into to get help with, I'm sure there are ways to alleviate it.

Rob has a friend who lost 200 lbs in college by eating a can of tuna a day and exercising like a mad man. Took him a year. He had to have that skin operation, since he lost the weight so fast, and he'd be weak, and almost faint! He did keep the weight off after that, by watching his weight again if he gained a couple of lbs. I do believe that being in touch with your body is the way to go to keep weight off.

Diana, when our cat was a kitten she would go bananas climbing on everything she shouldn't -- including our indoor palm tree, yikes, that was a nightmare. You can get that Cat Away spray and put it in your yard (they sell it in pet stores). We used it for our computer wires too, since she was biting that. It works.

You know, in the city pigeons are always a problem. Here you'll see people putting out plastic owls, with the idea that the pigeons will be scared away. Pigeons may be pea brained creatures, but the fake owls don't fool them at all, . I see them chillin' out, cooing away right next to those things.

Well, I've really written a book here. Have a great day, everyone.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:19 PM   #246  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Hey, Sara - nice to see you in here!

Our neighbor lets her cats roam during the day - I just hate that. Yes, the fence neighbor. The poo doesn't bother me nearly so much as when a cat sprays on stuff. That just makes other cats come around and spray....A regular pee fest. Fortunately, I've not noticed any spraying happening around our place this year.

I'd like to get a pedometer, too. We finally bought a couple of radios to use while working out. I went ahead and got a Walkman with a cassette player so I can listen to books on tape. I figure that way I can "read" as I garden or walk. Eventually, we'd like to get a good TV/FM radio tuner card for our desktop PC so we can record shows off cable and the radio, then burn them to CD or tape them. We hardly ever hear our favorite Saturday morning shows on NPR, just because of our weird night schedule.

I posted a recipe for potstickers a while back. You do grill them at first, to make the bottoms crispy and tasty, then you add liquid and they steam for the remainder of their cooktime. They are so delicious, and you can make them very healthy! Hmmmm, I need to get some wonton wrappers, methinks.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:36 PM   #247  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Jill - YAY!! I am so happy for you! Thats a huge loss! Thats like a hand or something.. so from now on I'm going to cross my skinny fingers for you! I had one of those free pedometers from McD's, and then another one from Special K. My mother and I put them on here, drove to the seawall, where we discovered one of us had taken a mini-walk, heh. And then we went for our actual walk, her's kept working, and mine just all up stopped working! So don't get that cheap of one!

Diana - I had a cat like that, my mom used the Cayenne pepper, and it worked really well for her. So hopefully!

So the job! The manager was sick last night, so I met the assistant manager, and their other new part timer. Everyone was really nice, and I seemed to fit in alright. The weirdest thing is to be working in a smaller person store, they start at a size 5 (and go to a 24), vs my old store which started at a size 14. It's funny seeing all these tiny people, because I really haven't for 2 years! It's going to be an adjustment. I think it's time for me to shrink! heh.

Speaking of which, so my official one week weigh in is a total loss of 5 pounds.
I wish I could say I am happy about that.. I don't know why I wouldn't be. I need to be slapped!

Alrighty! I am off to make some food and clean up a bit! Have a good one

-Aimee
Old 04-28-2005, 02:44 PM   #248  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

*SLAP* Be happy about the 5-pound loss, damm!t How's that for tough love?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:45 PM   #249  
Howie6267's Honey

I've got a dessert plate full of celery, cucumbers and carrots...And 2 tbsp peanut butter to dip the celery in. Yummy!

Jill, I meant to congratulate you on your weight loss, too! I hit send instead of "go advanced" and never went back to edit it. And Aimee, yes, we'll have to slap you, LOL. That's a huge loss!

My weigh-in's tomorrow, and TOM is next week. We'll see how that all pans out, eh?
Old 04-28-2005, 04:17 PM   #250  

Talking

Hi all...yes, Jill, I forgot, too in all the mess I am dealing with, WTG! And yes, do get a pedometer. The amount of steps you should be doing in a day is 10,000. I have a pedometer I got for cheap at Walmart, and it just tells me my steps, and has a reset and start button, plain and simple, which is good for me. My MIL has bought all different kinds and hates them all, they are all so complicated. I figure, If I can get myself to do the 10,000 steps in the day, then the rest will all be a bonus. Now, to just remember to put the thing on, LOL...My entire yard looks like one big can of Cayenne pepper, LOL...I went crazy with it after I got home from the gym, and there sits kitty, waiting to pounce on my little tufted titmice and chickadees ...Good thing we have not spent 500 bucks for mulch yet..lol..Okay, am off, I will be looking into those potstickers, Kimberley, they sound really yummy...those with a nice salad in the Summer ...YUM! Okay, am off....HAG1! and WB Sara~ We have missed you!

Last edited by DianaLS; 04-28-2005 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:30 PM   #251  
Losing 1/2 of Myself

S/C/G: 324/195/170

Thank you ladies for the warm welcome!

I never have anything fun or interesting to talk about! My life is soooo boring compaired to you all!!

My big excitement for today was an eye exam (my eyes didn't change, they still suck as much as they ever did before), and my dog ate yet another houseplant this week! Damn dog. That's two plants in two days!!! Chewed off and spit on the floor. I keep telling her she NOT a vegetarian but obviously she dosen't listen to her mom!!! I've spanked her and put her in her 'sassy corner' and today I sprayed her with water in the face and put her in her corner. She pretty much HATES me right now! I'm gonna be the mean mom again today, Sam will be the nice one and get all the love when she gets home from work... I hate that. The brat! Good thing I don't have 'real' kids huh?!

Great losses Aimee and Jill! Cross your skinny fingers for me on Monday!
Old 04-28-2005, 04:39 PM   #252  
Howie6267's Honey

Laughed about your dog -- they are such boogers sometimes. Try spraying your houseplants with bitter apple spray. Makes anything you spray with it tastes nasty. Putting a Q-tip dabbed in Vic's Vap-O-Rub down in the soil may help deter them, too. My cat is the plant nosher here; fortunately Sarah and Emma don't bother our plants, except the ones I'm chopping up for salad, and then they beg shamelessly.

Shame on you for thinking your life's not interesting! Hey, I am a homemaker who spends way too much time on the Internet. My interesting moments come in spurts, like after a good day of photography. I need more of those days (and I need to sell some photos so I can stay a homemaker!).
Old 04-28-2005, 05:30 PM   #253  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Sara - my life is SO SO boring, I pretty much wake up, either work, or stay at home. The big excitment in my day today? I'm having issues with my phone. It's all fuzzy, so I've called my telephone people, and they are sending someone tomorrow to look at it. IT's either the phone (which I bought from them), or the line. Stupid arsed phone. I should be out in the sun, but I'll go for a walk later.

Kimberley - both Jill and I will cross our skinny fingers for you.... lol I love it! You are a pretty consistant loser though (teehee, loser ).

I'm going to attempt to do Tae-Bo today, yup, I dusted it off. Oh yah! I took my measurements because I was feeling pretty discouraged about my "little" 5 pound loss. Which by the way, is weight I had gained, so technically I'm still up 1 pound. So anywho! I lost 1/2 an inch on each arm! Yay! I just want smaller arms, oh and smaller legs, and a smaller tummy. Why do you think I expect so much out of myself? I mean, when I hear someone loses even 1 pound, I get all jealous and wish I could do that. I think perhaps if I was losing weight that I hadn't just gained, maybe I wouldn't beat myself up. Alrighty, enough feeling sorry for myself. I did lose almost all the weight I had gained, so I need to be happy about that! I'm off to do some Tae-Bo!

-Aimee
Old 04-28-2005, 07:09 PM   #254  
Howie6267's Honey

Thanks!

Hey, just because you gained a bit doesn't mean you haven't lost. Just stick with it and don't let that momentary blip on the radar discourage you!

Okay, slightly embarrassing question. How do you get rid of really nasty pit odor in shirts? These aren't shirts I can wash in warm water, let alone hot water. I have found myself having to put them in our front-loader's pre-wash cycle three times in a row, then wash them. And that doesn't always do it.

I've tried pre-soaking them in Arm & Hammer washing soda solution, Borax solution, enzyme-type solutions (like Nature's Miracle and Simple Solution). I've tried pre-treating just the pit areas by rubbing them with a dampened bar of Fels Naptha soap. I've tried pre-treating them with straight vinegar as a pre-soak. Some of these methods work, but not without multiple washings afterward. I wonder if pre-treating them in plain baking soda and water would help. It gets the stink out of plasticware that's had nasty leftovers cooped up in it too long...

Most frustrating is, I am a clean person. I just tend to have acidic pits. It's a constant struggle getting my shirts really clean. Sometimes they seem clean, but as soon as my body heat warms up the fabric, there it is.

So there you have it. How real can a person be?

Last edited by Gardenwife; 04-28-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:08 PM   #255  

LOL @ kimberley, I hear ya, and I have no idea, some of my tshirts are that way, I must be in the same boat as you..when you find a way, please let me know,lol! hagn all!
Closed Thread