Old 04-13-2005, 06:14 PM   #61  

Lynne--good for you--a new resolve and sticking to the exercise. You do feel good at the end of a successful day--don't you??? I'm not dieting at the moment--just concentrating on eating healthy and exercising when I can. I do make it most days. Weight is remaining steady. I lose 2-4 then regain it when I'm back to eating. So far I haven't been sick to my stomach so I haven't lost much--which is ok. I'm still down the 20 I lost earlier in the year. I was worried when I returned to work--it's like the garden of Eden--temptation everywhere. ALways a table full of goodies--but so far I have avoided the majority of it! Round 2 of chemo tomrrow so I won't get in a walk unless I do it before my appointment. It will be an all day at the doctors day for me--then I've signed up for the cancer society's "look good feel better" class tomorrow night--if I'm not too tired from the chemo. Taking Friday off from work to re-coup. Last time around I felt fine on Fridy--but bad on Sat. We'll see how this round goes. Lost most of my hair this week--and cut the rest as short as I could. Tried to shave off the remainders but my scalp is too sore for a razor and I didn't have an electric. It can fall out on it's own. had lots of compliments on my new "hair" Many people haven't noticed that it's a wig--they think I just colored it a different shade--so thats good! My close friends know it's a wig---
Sorry NZ was so uncomfortable for you--next year it will be their time to travel. You may be more comfortable in your own home. You'll definately be stronger emotionally than you are now!
Exercising everyday is a pretty high expectation from yourself--but if that how you want to do it---GO FOR IT!!!! Just don't set yourself up for failure by telling yourself it has to be for a certain amount of time each day--just that you will "move" everyday. I'm thinking about challenging myself to try something different once a month--cycling, hiking, swimming, skiiing etc. along with my usual walking. I may strive for one Sat. a month incorporating a new exercise to see how I like it. Planning on walking in a 5k in Sept for Ovarian awareness. My sister from Ga. is planning on coming up and walking with me--haven't signed up yet--have to get thru the chemo first--
Spring has sprung for us here--60-70 each day. I LOVE it!! It's so nice to come home from work and open a few windows for a few hours and smell the earthy smells of spring. Trees are just starting to bud out. Too bad we don't have two seasons--spring and fall--
Gonna run--I have to start thinking about fixing some dinner for hubby. Talk in a day or two. Keep up the new resolve!!! Your doing great.
Jo
Grandma3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:28 AM   #62  
Beauty is within...

Hi this is a really quick one cos I'm having a tea break in the arvo before I get back into it.

Up until Friday, I'd exercised 7 out of 9 days, which I was very happy with. But then I haven't done anything since then No, I stand corrected, I did HEAPS of housecleaning on Saturday and Sunday..... But I went on a bit of a bender with my best friend who'd flown in from Perth for a week, and am really feeling the after effects!

I know that the "exercise every day" promise is a stretch, but I know that, and all I want to do is make myself aware of how important it is to keep moving regularly - so if I can't walk, do my bike, or do some weights, or housecleaning, or taking the kids to the park. As long as I aim to be more active than INACTIVE then I'm heading in the right direction.

I'm really glad to hear how cheerful and optomistic you sound. You are a champ! Surely you don't need to worry about dieting, and if you're maintaining then that's all you need to do at the moment. I'm impressed you're sidestepping the work goodies - I'm so glad I don't have anything like that here! I can't believe your hair came out so quickly! Glad that the wig looks good so you can step out in confidence! I'm so tempted to cut all mine off and get one too! But my reasons are more vain - my hair's in bad condition because of colouring and a perm, and I can't do anything but wait for it to grow out!

I'd better go..... I'm catch up more tomorrow!

Take care and lots of hugs!
LoseForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 10:18 PM   #63  

Lynne--glad to hear from you. 7 out of 9 days is pretty impressive. I haven't gotten in much walking this week. The chemo took it's toll. I'm pretty fatigued and lots of body aches. Getting better as the week goes on. Appitite is back--only lose it for 4 or 5 days right after the treatments. I'll post more tomorrow. It's late and I came home tired! Keep up the moving!! Any exercise is great for your heart, lungs and the the weight loss efferts!
Jo
Old 04-19-2005, 11:36 PM   #64  
Beauty is within...

Hi Jo

I'm not surprised you're so tired! Give yourself a break, you deserve it! I went for another walk today - went with a girl who works in the same building - it looks like I've picked myself up a couple of walking buddies for the first time in YEARS!!! - I'm very excited about it, but trying not to come off as an over-eager maniac! But it means I've got someone to keep me company during the week, which gives me that push out the door!

Are you still eating ok? I know you said your appetite is affected - make sure you keep up the intake, even if you don't feel like it - just so you can keep the energy levels up to help combat the experience. Mind you, what do I know?! At the end of the day, do whatever feels best for you to get you through this!

Take care, I'll post again tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:00 PM   #65  

Lynne--way to go!!!! It is more fun walking with someone--especially an adult! The time goes so quickly when you have someone to gab with. I'm feeling good again--glad it's over. Now I have a few weeks to regain and recoup. I am taking it easy. Learning to let someone else do the work when I'm not up to it. Appetite is back. I am concentrating on eating well--even when I'm not up to it. Making every calorie count. I can usually get some yogart or pudding down--if nothing else. Today I couldn't fill up--everything tasted good! Haven't gotten in a good walk for a week now--but I will this weekend. Have to take it one day at a time--not easy for me!
How has your eating been going? I know you've been exerciseing--feels good doesn't it???
Gonna run--hubby just got home and I need to feed him--I gobbled my chicken as soon as I brought it in from the Barbi! Cooked an extra breast for my lunch tomorrow. Yumm--and healthy too!
Jo
Old 04-27-2005, 08:42 PM   #66  
Beauty is within...

Hi, it's been a week since my last confession......

Sorry I haven't been in for a while - it's been pretty hectic and yet slow at the same time. I had a pretty rotten weekend and am feeling quite depressed at the moment. It's almost a year since Marc died, and I've got a lot of bad memories to deal with. It's making it hard to feel enthusiastic, which certainly wasn't helped by my TOM on the weekend. Hormones combined with grief - NOT a good combination! I think this next month is going to be very rough and I'm trying to get myself through it without burning out.

Food on the weekend was pretty shocking, and I'm still dragging my heels. I eat really well at work, but at home, it's harder to avoid the temptations.

I haven't done any walks for a few days, but am hoping to get out tomorrow when I go and visit a girlfriend and her kids.

I did up a weight loss chart yesterday which I'm going to pin up in my kitchen. I'm hoping that seeing the chart and eventually seeing results will help keep up the motivation.

I'm glad you're feeling better and keeping up your strength.

I must go, I'm not on break right now!

Take care, speak to you soon.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:12 PM   #67  

Lynne--don't beat yourself up about the bad weekend--but don't set yourself up for a month long binge either! Think about what Marc would want--you to be healthy and happy and able to keep up with two active children. Instead of a weight loss chart--why don't you pin up a picture of you at a healthier weight?? Then you'll have a visual to help you thru the rough times. I eat more on the weekends also--mainly because of no routine--but I am making a very big effort to think about it and make the best choices for the moments. Get going on the exercise again-- it doesn't take long to get out of the habit.
Just got back from the lake so I can't post any more right now--I'll write tomorrow. No excuses. Focus on the good in your life right now and be thankful for the time you had with Marc--not the lost time. Regret never accomplishes anything
Jo!
Old 05-02-2005, 11:36 PM   #68  
Beauty is within...

Hi Jo

Don't you get bored of my ups and downs??!! I'm more giddy than a yo-yo!

I certainly don't plan on bingeing all month! That's why I was saying it's important to recognise that this month is going to be hard, so I can prepare myself with the right tools - such as no bad food in the house, good meal planning, etc. I'm going to get back into walking tomorrow with the girl from work. She's said she's starting WW, so it'll be good to have someone around who has the same types of goals as myself. It even made me consider re-joining. I'm not sure whether I've got the time and money, but it's an option.

I'm also going to the dr's later to see if I can start taking something to help with the depression and weight gain. A happy pill that makes you lose weight - I know it's a myth, but right now I'm ready to try almost anything! I need to be able to maintain the motivation for more than 2 days at a time!!!!!

I find that when I've got work, I'm at work, I can't go anywhere, and all I've got to eat is what I take in, which is healthy snacks and a good lunch. I've just got to maintain that on the days I'm at home. During the day isn't so bad, but the evenings are the worst and I'm trying to find ways to overcome it. A lot of it is boredom and having no one looking over my shoulder. But there's also the comfort thing, and I'm trying to keep myself busy so I don't think about it.

Jo, do you think it's worthwhile still posting here? I think it's safe to say it's just you and me these days. Is is still convenient for you to come in here, or should we maybe keep in touch via email? Let me know what you think.

Take care and I'll catch up tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:23 PM   #69  

Lynne--it's up to you. I am e-mailing Kermie several times a week. the only advantage to staying on this site is that occassionaly we get someone new.
I have chemo on Thursday--Ill try to touch base with you on Friday. Glad to hear your starting to walk again. WW is a good option--but only if you can commit to it. If your going in without knowing you'll have the time, money and desire to stick with it--it probably isn't a good idea right now. If your doctor comes up with a magic pill--let me know--I'll be right behind you in line! Most anti-depressants cause weight gain.
Going for a quick walk before hubby gets home--it's cool but sunny out today--first nice day since last Wed.
Keep motivated--and if you do decide to drop from the thread--let me know--you have my address.
Jo
Old 05-03-2005, 11:43 PM   #70  
Beauty is within...

Hi there

I agree that the thread is good if someone is interested in joining us, but it certainly would be easier for me just to keep in touch via email. I love coming in here, but I'm trying to make life as uncomplicated as possible, and I get worried if I haven't been able to come in and post in case someone is feeling neglected! (mainly me! ha ha)

Good luck with the chemo - I thought you didn't need it for a while? How often are you having to go? I've been thinking of you and how stressful it must all be. How's your husband coping?

I went for a walk today - well, HIKE would be a better term. The girl Andrea who's at reception goes for walks with a friend of hers, who's a LOT fitter than either of us, and she took us up into the Adelaide Hills - which, although I love the fact you can go bushwalking so close to the city and walk, was probably a bit too much for me in the middle of a work day. I suggested to Andrea that we do that once every couple of weeks, so as we get fitter we can start to see some improvement. I found out today that she has about the same amount of weight to lose as me, which is nice. It gets depressing being surrounded by friends and family who don't have a weight problem. I always feel like the odd one out.

I ended up going to the chemist and buying some weight loss supplements - they are natural herbs that just help suppress appetite and boost metabolism, but no miracle cures I'm afraid!

Back to my carrot, soup and sandwich, so I'll speak to you later.

If it's ok with you, we'll keep going via email, and you can either keep this going, or let it phase out. My email address is [email protected]

Cheers and out.