Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 04:20 PM   #46  
Trying or Dying

S/C/G: 327/258/180

Default Back from the dead...

Hi everyone,
I am feeling much better today and thought I would pop on and say Hi to everyone. The funny thing is - I am feeling better just in time to clean my house and shop for groceries because my mom and dad will be here tomorrow.
I am going to try to respond as much as I can to everyone-
Sthrn-Welcome and we are happy to have you with us!! Jump right in and make yourself at home.

little grasshopper- I almost got hooked on Gilligans Island too- fortunately my papers for school kept me from watching so I broke the spell. Hang in there with eating right- you have been such a good influence for me. Don't sweat it about the clothes- you will get there in time. Keep up the great work and it will happen.

red balloon- I am sorry you are having so many problems at work. It sounds like you are trying to work them out in your dreams. I always know when something is eating at me when I dream about it in an extreme- like your boss not wanting to talk to you. Hang in there! To answer your question I havent eaten much of anything. I have been so sick to my stomach. I have been trying to concentrate on drinking as much water as possible and getting as much sleep as I can. It seems to be working. Also- spongebob is a cartoon and he is really funny if you ask me. Brainless fun! I can't believe people are stealing him though.

stormy- You are kicking butt staying on plan! Great job and keep it up ! Have a great time in New Orleans- I love that town. I try to shoot over there at least once a year- I have a friend at Tulane. I am in Tallahassee so it only 4 or so hours away.

susanne- Glad to have you back! I am sorry you are going through so much right now. Don't get discouraged about the class- it happens to all of us and it will work out. Pop in when you need to vent and let us help if we can- I am glad you are getting back on track. It is hard starting back again but it will be worth it in the long run.

I am not sure if I left anyone out - I hope not. I hope you are all doing well today and keep chatting! I will be back on later to talk more. Need to go my bf just got home and I need to give him a chore list so I don't freak about my parents coming.

I promise I will get back in the swing of things next week and get back to the daily question and reacp and all of it. Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement - it helped to hear them when I was sick.

Old 12-22-2004, 07:36 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 160/147/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi Sthrn - Hello!! It's great to meet you. We're a chatty group

Crime Girl - YEAH!!!!! Glad you're feeling better. Just in time for company too - and PARENTS! I freak when my mom comes too. Have to have the whole house clean...I don't know why - she doens't freak over me Do you know where apalachicola is? My grandfathers were both keeprs of the Cape Sanblas and the St George Lighthouses. I go there about once a year to visit some family that is still there. It's a neat place but is changing fast!

Stormy - I'm right on the verge of over working. I asked the doctor today if he could think of a reason I'd still be gaining weight when I'm not cheating at all and not eating that much and drinking tons of water. He suggested hormones. With the stress of working the two jobs last week and this week being all out chaotic!! He's thinking it's possible my DHEA level is a little low and that will cause you to gain quickly. I've gained and lost 7 pounds twice and can't come up with a better reason.. I thought it was PMS but I should be at my lowest weight. I also haven't done any muscle building stuff except the pillates in two weeks. Anyway, if it doesn't change by my next appointment in mid January we're going to check it out. It might be that for the sort term at least I need a bit of support in that area.

Redballoon - where the heck are you? Get tired of reading already I hope you're having a great Thursday! Do you get Christmas Eve off?

Well I'm going to get a back rub and then - holy cow - it's already 7:30. Time flies!! See everyone soon.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:41 PM   #48  
stormy1

Southern Belle-Welcome! How about that snow? Has it stopped yet? My nickname in LA is Cajunbelle. Well please keep us updated each day on your progress, life, etc.

Crimegirl- Are you among the living now? So happy that you are on your way to feeling beter.

Red balloon, are you out partying again?

Little GH-Please take care of yourself. As healthcare workers we sometimes do not follow our own advice! Have you had your thyroid checked?
Old 12-22-2004, 09:44 PM   #49  

Hey Everyone.

Im glad you are all here. I am trying to remind myself that this IS possible!. I wish some of you were here to work out with! I get tired of going alone to the gym and tired of cheering myself on. Today got too complicated and I didnt make it. But tomorrow is a new hope!. I need my routine back. Eating hasnt been too horrible though. I havent gained. Just havent lost.

When you are use to working out and suddenly dont, it all goes to marshmellow fast!

Susanne
Old 12-22-2004, 09:49 PM   #50  

Hi guys! Stormy - I have had the thyroid checked. It's a little slow but nothing an MD would medicate. I take a vitamin for it. And now I've learned that when one endocrine organ gets wacky, they all kind of do. I think it all started with hypoglycemia that runs in the family. It sounds like I'm a really sick person, I know! But it's more of a situation where something was off...I couldn't pin point it and the MD's couldn't either but Naturapaths did and I've felt 100% better since. Now the weight gain thing is minor but there, so I asked about it. If it's still a problem next month I'll have plenty of time with the doctor to figure it out. If it is a stress/hormone thing it might be that I catch up when I get use to working the longer hours, or my schedule levels out a bit. I'll just have to wait and see.

Well guys I'm beat - off to bet. One more day of it this week!! I do my last bit of before christmas, christmas shopping
Old 12-22-2004, 10:52 PM   #51  
stormy1

Susanne, I know that you can do it It is wonderful that you have not gained weight during this stressful time. This is a hard time of year to find time to workout. The way that I look at it is if I work out I get more energy which enables me to get other things done If you can get a few minutes in it is better than nothing. For example, when you are shopping do a couple of bicep curls with your bags

Everyone, remember we are in the mind set and ahead of the game of most people. So many start resolutions in the New Years that they break. Since we started before the new years we have to stick to it, right
Old 12-22-2004, 11:41 PM   #52  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Heh guys, I wrote that mega post last night, got a night's sleep and already you're asking where I am??! ! I ain't that prolific! I suppose it's the time difference. While I'm slumbering you're all running around and then when I finally get down to the keyboard you're all a slumberin'. Sure you didn't miss that second long post? Please! Does this mean you like me or something?

Heh, southern belle, welcome You don't have much to lose but those last pounds are the hardest. Good luck and post often. As you can see, the people round here give you **** if you don't!

I'll be back to write more later. Just got in from riding.

Last edited by redballoon; 12-22-2004 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:32 AM   #53  

Yes, it is 3:30 am where I'm at, but I'm not sleepy right now.

I'm snowed in!!! We've had 12 inches of snow since Wed morning around 4, and the snow is supposed to continue until about 2 pm Thurs. So needless to say, I'm getting stir crazy. My roommates and I wrapped presents, watched TV and played games all day to keep busy!

Thanks all for the encouragement, it is always greatly appreciated. Hope everyone is well...if you're stuck in this weather like me, stay safe and warm!!! I'll check in later...

Kelly
Old 12-23-2004, 04:22 AM   #54  
Never give up

Hi kjk, are you still up? I'm probably the only one that's up around there, or, rather, around here. It's going on 6:30 p.m. Thursday here. Actually, I hope you got some sleep. Wow, all that snow. I'm from Pittsburgh. Better call my Dad. My sister's coming in from Philly. Sure hope they get their safely. Sure would be nice to be there for a White Christmas!

Good luck on your weight loss and come to us any time for support. But please give us some too. I'm one of the worst, I think, do real well then blow it all. Have stayed about the same for a long time. But the past three months were horrid and I gained again on top of having all my muscle turn to flab.

Things are still not good. Work is bad and could get worse. I dread the new year, which is a horrible feeling to have but they keep threatening that "there will be big changes" and the guy who I think was looking out for me is quitting. Damn.

Still, today I was excellent! I ALMOST had a sugar binge but didn't. I was thinking, well, it's almost Christmas, blah, blah, blah, and then I said, "Look, WHEN are you going to do this, WHEN are you going to stop making excuses and just get on with the weight loss!?!?! so I didn't buy sweets. Just now my delivery of oatmeal and packaged curries arrived and those curries are always good in an emergency, when I'm feeling lazy about cooking but don't want to blow it. Heat one of them up and pour it over brown rice. Yum!

Well, good luck. Make 2005 your year to shine!!

Last edited by redballoon; 12-23-2004 at 04:24 AM.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:04 AM   #55  

morning guys. I can't sleep. I have to be at work early today for some meeting the boy wonder doctor is making us have. He is upset because last week he had to check out one of his own patients because I was in a massage and there was no one around to check them out. Funny thing is that HE is the one that scheduled the patient! And HE'S not coming to the meeting. I think he's just ticked because his book of business has died off and mine has really picked up at the same time and he's taking it out on other people in a very passive agressive way. Anyway, I have to get to work early now and I kept waking up to make sure I hadn't over slept.

Redballoon - I know what you mean about doing so well and then crashing. That's what I usually do. I have one thing after all I "earned" it, right...but then the one little thing leads to another, and then I might as well have whatever I want and I'll go back on tomorrow.....then tomorrow I'm sick so I have to have my comfort foods.....it's a never ending cycle once it starts. I realized I'm doing something completely different now though. Because this is more about health - detoxing, fixing my endocrine system, getting rid of pain, and the weight loss is a sideeffect, it's not that easy to cheat. If I cheat I hurt. Instead of cheating my emotions are just chaotic. They REALLY are. They shouldn't be. They should be getting more and more stable as my diet does but it's not working that way. I think it's because I'm not dropping weight - I'm gaining and it's pissing me off. EVERONE else drops weight. They dorp every ounce of fat they have, if they stay on it. Anything not healthy about the body begins to resolve....not with me, not this time. I am hoping it's the stress, but still I WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT! So I'm having this 'why bother" attitude today. I want to eat what I want a christmas now - after all I've gained more than I would have anyway! Yes, I'm a little pissy. But in truth I don't want to cheat. I just want to figure out why I'm gaining and fix it so I can go on.

Oh well, I'll talk to you guys later tonight. We may be heading to Wilmington, NC tonight but there is a computer there too so I'll check in!
Old 12-23-2004, 11:05 AM   #56  
stormy1

Wow you all sound like me I could not sleep lst night either. I was just too cold to leave the bed to post. We have about 2 inches of snow and ice here so I do not think that I will go out to see my patients today. Too many slippery hills. Tonight we fly out to New Orleans, hopefully our flight will not be cancelled.

Kelly, have fun staying home. I just thought to myself (flipping through the channels) what do people do during the day if they do not work, go to school or have kids. There is nothing on tv. Well get ready for more snow, it is coming your way.

Little GH, I hope your spirits improve soon. You are trying your best and that is all you can do. It will get better. 2005 will be great for you.

Red balloon, sorry about your job situation. Enjoy your time with your sister!
Old 12-23-2004, 01:12 PM   #57  
Trying or Dying

S/C/G: 327/258/180

Default Hi everyone!

I think I am finally mostly cured and my parents will be here any minute so like a large number of you-I couldn't sleep last night. I am excited but there is always so much stress too.
Anyway- I am sorry you guys had a rough night- and red balloon I hope everything works out at work. Any kind of change is hard-but maybe it will work out to a positive in the end?? Hang in there!
little grasshopper- I hate when people do that! I hope everything went OK today. Just keep chanting in your mind that at least your book of business is doing well. Then imagine him in his underwear...
kjk- I cant believe you are snowed in!! I am so jealous- it is 62 freaking degrees here- hard to get in the Christmas spirit. At least you will have a white Christmas.
stormy- have a great time in New Orleans!!

Okay- I better go- the parental units will be here soon....
wish me luck and also that my dad doesn't give me the "you need to lose weight" speech. Sometimes I want to say- OH! Thats how you do it!! If only I had known I would have been skinny for your visit. He makes it seem so simple- on top of that he has amnesia from his own battle to lose weight.

Hope you all have a great holiday!!!!
Hope some of you will be around to post...
and Sthrn Belle- where are you? jump right in and tell us about yourself.

Old 12-23-2004, 04:57 PM   #58  
Never give up

Thumbs up meeting the day with a spring in my step. . .

Good morning all. Friday here. Christmas Eve. Gotta go to work. I was SOO good yesterday. I didn't give in to all these temptations. I'm trying to eat like a thin person. I met a friend briefly the other day up with the horses. Now she and her mother are just two of the most elegant, well-dressed, well-coiffed people around, as there are so many in Tokyo. I had told her in an earlier email that I'd been pigging out, from the stress and all. When I met her she asked me, half with concern, half chidingly, if I'd gotten that under control. I said I had (from just a week ago though!) She was saying, "you mustn't do that, you really mustn't" and her mother was saying "I just can't understand it. I can't eat a thing when I'm stressed." They were genuinely concerned, but really at a loss to understand how people eat from stress and emotions. The mother had even been saying to the daughter how she'd got the father to eat a little more than usual, and it was apparently a very big thing! Talk about disbelief! I had to laugh. I need to be around people like them a whole lot more!! (No offense guys!!) No, really, seeing a different species' perspective (!) is eye-opening at times and just may lead to new ways of doing things. So, yesterday's triumph may have had something to do with this. Maybe something rubbed off. Maybe I was just able to laugh at my running to eat whenever I feel . . . well, alive.

little grasshopper -- thanks for the sponge bob explanation. I'll have to look him up on the web. There must be something that explains the critter. Yes, that was it, him being stolen off fast-food joints. And grass, stay off the scales! You sound exactly like me. I have been thinking I should get back on because I wanted to make a chart but NO, I know where this leads, to an external measure of my success that has NOTHING to do with the real success. OK, maybe if I only weighed every two weeks or so I'd see nothing but losses IF I'd been great but every two weeks, who cares if you only have to weigh every two weeks. Face it, we're all looking for that recognition, that pat on the back, that gold star on the forehead. And the scale doesn't give it to us! Why? Because the scale is a creep and a liar, a bully and a backstabber. Stay away from it and measure your success other ways. Well, that's my advice. I hate to read about you being so good and making so many meaningful changes, like eating less and then getting on the scale and getting an apparent slap in the face despite of it.

And about the not losing weight. . . you're wrong, you're NOT the only one who doesn't lose weight. I have a very hard time of it. And I think, yes, stress is a big factor. The body just holds on to the fat when there is stress. And this, when you think about it in the context of the cavewoman or so, is natural. This means we have excellent genes for survival. Our bodies don't know or care whether the stress comes from mountain lions outside our caves waiting us out or some cruddy boss with his passive aggressiveness infantile ways. It's stress and that means the body has to rise to protect US! Protect means, maintain fat levels, protect means keep the body alive. I think we have to learn to FEEL that everything is okay and the incredible mix of hormones that make us up will then stabilize and allow us to slim down.

But heh, I feel your anger and frustration. I really do. Rant, have it out. But also, think, that something needs changing. Try eating different foods at different times. Do something DIFFERENT and do it for a while and see if you can't get a change. Like I think I said earlier, I definitely lose weight when I concentrate my diet on vegetables but because I don't really like eating this way I soon revert back to the diet that doesn't see me losing weight. We've got to leave our comfort zones. We do. It's probably the only way. And stop comparing yourself to others. It's your body, you've got to learn to deal with it. Come on! Let's tough this out together!

stormy -- I think you misread something. I'm still over here. My sis is still over there. No meeting up for Christmas. In fact, I haven't even heard from her in months. She never calls me. No one does. Sob. Sob. Sure wish I could meet them. You're right that we're all ahead of the game here. We've decided to at least not pull all the stops over the holidays. This is important, a very important step.

Well, you have a great time in New Orleans, OK? Hurry back. I'll miss your warm posts.

susanne -- How are you? Come in and post. There's always hope. And if you haven't gained then you're still ahead of things. Can you perhaps find someone to work out with, someone perhaps already at the gym who you can buddy up with? Maybe that'll help.

Crime girl -- There you are again! Hurrah!! We've missed you. Glad to hear you're mostly on the mend. Thanks for the concern about my work. It's awful. I think about it constantly and how I could be kicked out at any time. That's the way it feels and I know it's bad to be thinking that because it'll probably make it happen. But, I feel the place has absolutely no compassion left anymore, the guys running it are old men who sit on other floors and never meet people face to face, yet send out orders that are cold and ruthless, cutting pay, cutting jobs. It's so cruel. This is what happened to me last week but I was hanging on but it was humiliating I thought, to be treated this way. I want to cut all ties with that place but don't have alternatives lined up and especially this time of year don't see them happening. I have put feelers out, but just come up empty. Damn!

Well, hope the time with the family goes well. If your dad starts in with the weight speech, try agreeing wholeheartedly with him. It'll probably surprise him and it'll definitely take the wind out of his sails. Encourage him to go on, solicit his opinion, his advice, make a game of it but don't get sarcastic. He will definitely be surprised!

Ok, all, best of times to everyone. Hope you find time to post occasionally. I get lonely easily!
Old 12-23-2004, 05:06 PM   #59  

Hi Everyone!!!

Got my fat butt to the gymn today. Have also manged to stick to salads and chicken. I am trying not to let the chaos in my life get to me and keep me from my goals. I was there for an hour. I did 30 minutes of elliptical and 30 minutes of nautilus. Worked up a very nice unattractive sweat....lol...sticky hair and all...Tomorrow I hope to do the same...Thank goodnesss you are all here. I liked seeing that show the biggest loser the other day.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:11 PM   #60  
Never give up

Talking HURRAH for SUSANNE!!!

Susanne!!! to you!! What a great effort you made, eating right AND a kick-A workout. Mega-kudos to you! And a good sweat is never unsightly. It's utterly sexy! You keep it up, kid!
Closed Thread