Old 02-13-2005, 09:20 AM   #1  
Trying or Dying

S/C/G: 327/258/180

Default Battle of the Bulge #12

Here is the new thread...enjoy!

Just a reminder- today is weigh in day.

Also-

Monday- support day and a good day for tips on staying motivated

Tuesday- support day and a good day for reasons why we want to lose- I think that keeps us motivated more than anything when we reexamine why we want to lose..

Wednesday- "what have I been eating all week day" and I want to start trying to get everyone to share quick recipes or tips on cooking that work for them.

Thursday- "what I have done to move my bootie day" and I want to get everyone to start giving us an idea on how they work exercise into their lives and the things they enjoy doing.

Friday- support and influence day- lets make this a day we talk about anything or anyone that influenced our weight loss for the week- things like friends giving bad foods or a partner that supported our efforts.

Saturday- recap day- lets talk about the things we thought worked for us for the week and those that didn't- this might help us see where we strayed and where we stood firm.

Sunday- weigh in day and reaffirm goal day- give us an idea of your goals for the week, month, and long term.

Have a great day everyone!
Crime girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 11:40 AM   #2  
stormy1

CG-hi. I think I will weigh in on Valentine's day to see if I met my 10 pound goal. I hope you and the bf's challenge is going well.

Red-I firmly believe you are how you think you are. It is like a self-fufilling prophecy. If you envision yourself as being successful you will be. If you think you are a failure then you will be. I think that you are a cool lady, now you need to think and know that you are. I think that so many people think negative and that reflects in everything they do and how they do it. We are only given one life and we choose how we live it. For example, I have a patient right now who is 400+ pounds. He is very unmotivated. To me there is not a much worse thing than an unmotivated person. Whenever I see him I try to motivate him but all the motivation in the world that I give him doesn't mean anything if he doesn't believe that he can get better. The mind is a powerful thing and I believe there really is something to do with the mind body connection. There are so many examples of this that I can go on and on. We will not lose weight without determination and the belief that we can do it. We did not gain weight overnight. It took time to gain it and it will take time to lose it. I am so proud of you for going to the gym. You have been there before and you know how empowering it is. The key is consistency. We should be consistent in everything that we do in life. I llok forward to this next challenge b/t us. You will do it. I BELIEVE IN YOU.

When I look back to how I gained the weight I realize that it was emotional eating that caused much of it. This week I plan on trying to keep my eating under control and be in control. I have a choice in losing this weight. I do not want diabetes. I do want to be able to be healthy and not have to worry about others taking care of me. I want to Live Strong. I saw an episode of Oprah the other day featuring Lance Armstrong. When you talk about role models this guy fits the bill. He had testicular cancer, tumors in his brain and lungs. He fought and he fought hard and he went on to win several Tour de France races. Now that is motivation and determination.

We can do this. We need to do this. For ourselves, for our loved ones. This is our life so let's lose this weight!
stormy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:51 PM   #3  

Hello everyone...

You all seem like a smart dedicated group. That's exactly what I need.

Let me tell you what's up with me...My name's Murphy, I'm 32 and I recently quit my job to finish writing my first book. My job was REALLY tough and hostile, which I why I coudn't just do it in the evenings.

Anyway, I had been having really good success at my weightloss goal. I have been bouncing between 185-200 for years, but when I stuck with weight watchers on the third try, I finally made it down into the 170s. My goal is 160, so you can imagine how exciting that was!

At first, being at home I was doing very well, got down to 168 (wow! WOW!)
But I fell of the wagon and am up to 176. Man! In barely more than a week. Anyway, I really don't want the whole being-right-near-the-fridge part of working at home to take over all my progress.

At the same time, I think that I can find better support on daily boards like these than once a week weigh-ins...

We'll see. But I hope that we can all get to know one another and work on this. It's a lifetime struggle. I have always had to watch my weight. My highest was 230.

Oh yeah, I am 5'11" so, if 160 sounds high to you average-height ladies, it works for me.

I guess that's enough for now. Maybe as time goes on I can put one of those cute indicators at the bottom of my posts...

Nice to meet you all!
doinmybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 03:26 PM   #4  
stormy1

Hi Murphy. Welcome to the board! Everyone here is great and there is a lot of support. Our leader, Crime Girl, keeps us on track. She is also writing a book, so you two have that in common. I am originally from Louisiana. What part do you live in?
Old 02-13-2005, 03:40 PM   #5  

Default That's Funny....

I should have put L.A.

Los Angeles

I've never been to Louisiana, but I would really like to go. If I'd stayed at my job, I would have been there for a convention in May...

Oh well!

So, CrimeGirl is doing a book too?
My instincts were good!

Thank you!
Old 02-13-2005, 04:08 PM   #6  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Hi guys, glad to see someone was writing. I'm not going to spend too much time posting as I want (this is a relative term) to get out and go to the gym before work today and that means a 50-min. walk. It's already going on 6 a.m. here so I have to get moving. Work is an hour earlier now. They keep screwing with the schedules. God, I hate that place! I want out so bad but have not found something I can do and fit in to my juggle. The publishing house work is just too intense to be sitting there staring at manuscripts. I haven't changed. I can't take the morguelike atmosphere. Still, I do some work at home which I can do in bursts of concentration, then do something else. Still, overall the money is ****.

Crime girl -- thanks for the horoscope and the new thread. You seem to think there is someone new in my life or someone coming into it, but there isn't that I can see. I'm not even looking anymore. The other gym is one I actually don't feel comfortable in because the people are not serious enough for me. I love the one I go to but it's a chore to get there. There are other branches but I don't go to them for the very reason that not only are they far but they don't have the feeling I want in them. Still, I'm thinking that too enough these days, with the cold and my busier schedule I make the excuse and a quite legitimate one that I can't go. If I join the one in the neigbhorhood maybe I can see it as a quick fix, a place to just go, quick, do something and get out and home in less than 5 minutes. Because I have to carry everything with me, changes of clothes along with my already rather heavy pack, it becomes quite a drag on my psyche. Demi Moore just doesn't do it for me. She's much too scrawny! But you're right, there are people out there. It's just hard because I'm in Japan and women here just are so totally not like me, so utterly and totally it's not funny. And I don't want to be anything like them at all. Love all your expressions. I can use the "got to see a man about a horse" but since I'm actually with people who would take this seriously, they may think I'm deserting them and then desert me! So Crime girl, did you weigh in? How is your weight coming along? Have you gotten any of the extra you put on recently off again? I know it must be hard with your incredibly hectic schedule but let's at least keep hope!

stormy -- and, how about you? Did you weigh in? I did yesterday and yes I was up from last week. Was 74.6 kg! Ridiculous, but totally understandable. I think a lot was due to the very salty things I've been eating or was eating those past few days just off sugar. I'm not going to fret. I want to make this an interesting journey. Trying to think what things I CAN eat and make them a little more interesting. The other day I put mozarella cheese on an onion bagel and then salsa and mixed Italian herbs sprinkled on top and grilled it in the toaster oven at work. It was delicious!! Stormy, I don't think I'm cool but thanks. I want to look cool too and I don't and this is affecting me. I mean, OK, I could be but I think I sabotage myself because I just see my efforts as nuts, which is what everyone, almost everyone around me says. I find them utterly boring, utterly frustrating, they just don't GET it and yet they pounce on me (when they've been drinking) and really lay into me with the criticism. I really can't understand it. They think they have it all worked out and I look at them and see nothing I would want to emulate at all. Ah, yeah, just a bad crowd. That guy I met the other evening was like, "I think you have so much opportunity" and then he came out with all these very viable ideas I was incredulous (I use that word a lot, don't I? incredibly, incredible, incredulous) and it was SO nice to hear something different. And this guy is so successful. He told me how he risked everything, was worrying about where the next few hundred bucks were going to come from and now he's dealing in matters of hundreds of thousands of dollars (this is the racing business). He said the jump would be scary and he was so right. It didn't sound scary when I had all that Dutch courage flowing through my veins but in the light of a sober day, it sure did, does! Stormy, you are so sweet for trying to motivate your patient. I am the same. I see people and I want to motivate them, want to inspire them. So often they don't see where I've been, don't believe me if I tell them, look at me now and think I'm so different, or hear what I used to do and think I'm just nuts. I don't know what makes it click for someone or if it's a long process but I do think we just have to keep trying. Thank you for being proud of me and believing in me. Yes, I look forward to the next challenge. Good luck with reining in the emotional eating. Sometimes I think we just don't have enough places to put our emotions. Society wants us to be so staid, so controlled and contained. I used to think Japan was bad and America was more open about feelings but now I don't think so. In fact, I think Americans are more afraid of "hurting someone's feelings" AND because they're apt to tell you if they think you're out of line with something you said, give you less freedom than here. In any case, I think we all need something we can express ourselves with so we don't have to try to suppress feelings with food.

doingmybest -- Welcome aboard. I'm not one of the "smart" ones on this thread and the "dedicated" part is doubtful too. But maybe you can enjoy my input nonetheless. Are you from Louisiana or Los Angeles? What are you writing about? Well, I hope you find the support you're looking for. I hope you give a lot too! 5' 11" Wow! Take off about 10 inches and you've got me. Are you still on WW? I do a lot of work at home but I find I don't overeat much when I'm here. It's when I don't enjoy being where I am (such as at work) that I snack and just eat mindlessly. Still, I am sure never to bring things in to my home so that helps. At work, there can be lots of temptations and that includes all the stores nearby! Well, good luck and let's hear lots from you!

OK, gotta run. I wrote too much as it was. Will not have time for much of a breakfast now otherwise it'll affect my gym work.

Come on people. Where are you all?!?!
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 04:25 PM   #7  
shannon

Hello All!

Sorry I haven't posted. I don't have internet at my house, so I can only post when I am at work or when I am at my parents or brothers house.

Been doing very good this weekend. I cleaned my house really good yesterday. Took me all day, but I got it done. It was sort of early spring cleaning. I wiped everything down and scrubbed the floors! Which is something I hate to do! I scrubbed the kitchen floor so hard my hand swelled up and I couldn't use it for the rest of the afternoon.

I know today is weigh-in day, but I usually weigh on Mondays, so I will post my weight tomorrow.

Crime Girl - I will be more than happy to send you a copy of my list. Right now it is very small...calories for fruits and things. But, I left a lot of spaces and have been writing in a lot of stuff. I won't send you those because they are meals I eat regularly. You can use the blank spaces to record your own meals.

When I was in college, I also studied on Friday and Saturdays. That is one reason why I watch so much tv now. When I was in school, I never watched anything that wasn't educational! My family used to make so much fun of me! They'd be talking about a show, and I'd have no idea of what they were talking about!

Red - Thanks for the words of wisdom about beliveing in myself and not what others think about me. It took me a long time to get to that point. When I realized what I was doing, it came to me that it was mostly me that had the problem! Now, I just live my life my way. Everybody else can either accept me or leave me!

You are right about purple! It is my favorite color. When I was a little girl, I went through this stage where I wouldn't wear anything but purple. I didn't go a single day without something purple on.

Do you work with mostly men? I do. I was just wondering if you had a mostly male staff. There are very few women in my office. Sometimes, that is great, but sometimes it is a pain in the butt!!

Stormy - Thanks for the suggestion of fitday...that was you, wasn't it? I have tried it before, but since I don't have internet at my house, it wouldn't help my on the weekend. I like to write things down. I enjoy the tactile sensation of putting pen to paper. Plus, my journal is right there...no connecting to the internet or finding the right website.

I think it is wonderful that you try to motivate your patients! Sometimes, a little understanding and kind word can mean a huge difference in someones life.

Murphy - Welcome. I just joind this board recently. It is wonderful. The ladies here are very supportive and helpful. I also tried Weight Watchers. I lost the majority of my weight with them, but it is very expensive and time consuming to stay with them. I know do my own thing and count calories. It is working well for me so far.

My goals for the week are to continue with my eating and exercising. I'd like to also include some weight lifting in my exercise routine. I have several hand weights and think they would be great for my arms.
shanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 05:43 PM   #8  
stormy1

Murphy, oops L.A. huhg? Big difference b/t that city and the State.

Red, glad you are going to the gym today. Remember, you want to look sexy in you new clothes when you go to M...I forgot (where are you going to cover those horse races?) Your talk of the color red also got me thinking. I think that red also stimulates the appetite. Here in the States many people have painted their dining rooms red. I love the color. It is my second favorite to purple. I like your bagel recipe. I love bagels. I stay away from them as much as possible b/c of the high carbs. My favorite is sundried tomato bagels.

Shan-keep up with the journal. It is great. Also don't be afraid to add the weights. It will make you lose weigh much faster. Muscle burns more fat!
Old 02-13-2005, 09:12 PM   #9  

Wow, I feel welcome!

I htink I figured out the wieght slider thingy too..Let's see:
Old 02-13-2005, 11:09 PM   #10  
stormy1

Doinmybest: You can do it! I like your positive attitude. Only 16 pounds left, that is awesome! I have about 20-25 left to lose. I want a 5 pound fudge factor b/c of water weight, etc.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:25 PM   #11  
Trying or Dying

S/C/G: 327/258/180

Default Hi everyone!

How is everyone tonight???
I just got home from the library where I spent 5 hours reading one article of about 15 that I need to read. It was this 60 page long explanation of ideology and I swear I had to look every other word up in a dictionary! Why do people have to use every big word they ever learned when they write. I mean really- how egoisitic!

Doinmybest- Welcome!! We are glad to have you in our group! It sounds like you just need a little extra support and we can help with that. Normally we are a really chatty group- we are a little off our groove lately. I think we all just got really busy so things will get busier I am hoping!
You are writing a book? Is it nonfiction or fiction? I am working on a mystery novel and a book recaping every memory I can remember- project for me not for publication and for my mom who is doing a similar thing. The mystery is moving slowly but I am in school right now and working so time is limited to work on it. It is more a stress reliever for me and creative outlet but I am going to try to publish it when I finish writing it.
Anyway- glad you decided to join us and look forward to getting to know you better.

stormy- hows it shaking? How is school treating you?
The challenge with the bf is going well- we weigh in on Wed to see who is ahead. I forgot to weigh in today for the board so I will do that tomorrow morning. I have been working out with Maya and doing my DDR game a lot so my legs are SO sore! It feels good though and I am happy I am getting my act together.

Red- You have a unique and thought provoking outlook on life sometimes. I like to see things from your perspective because we are totally different in how we weigh things in our mind. It is a real benefit to read how you approach things.
The gym situation will work itself out- just realize like you said that you can't use the gym being out of the neighborhood as an excuse. You can do it! I know you can. My opinion- go with the gym with the best vibe hands down no matter the location. You have to feel inspired and motivated to work out. It should feel like a treat for yourself so enviroment is important.
As for the horoscope- meeting someone that changes your life might be a totally nonromantic thing. It could be a work buddy, someone you drink with, a guy you meet on the subway, or anyone really. I just have a feeling (and I put it into your horoscope) that the tide is changing with you and in that change is a person that helps you along. I just go with what I feel in your scopes.
As for me- I will weigh in on Wed for official challenge with bf and tomorrow to post on here. I am worried however that the damn scale will betray me yet again and I am not going to take the disappointment well because I have been pretty good. I need to see a difference!
Oh and by the way- did you see Demi Moore in GI Jane? - she was anything but scrawny. She bulked up. Big *** muscles.

Shanberg- Glad to see you on again. It stinks that it can't be from home but get on when you can.
I will PM you my email and thanks for the list. I - like you- think that sometimes it is just easier to write it down- it is portable and you dont have to log on etc to record things. Besides I am always scared I will post my stuff for public consumption and I write when I am eating emotionally so I can try to stop the pattern. Embarasssing stuff to post for just anyone to read. It would be my luck there would be a glich in the system and it would be emailed to everyone who subscribes to fitday how I stuffed my face over something stupid like a bad day.

Okay well need to go to bed so I am going now. Tomorrow is Monday (for most of us) so it is a support day and also a focus day on how we stay motivated. Anyone got any new tips or tricks they have picked up? What kind of image are you hoping to achieve for yourself or others?

And- here is your question of the day-
What is your favorite-
book-
movie-
TV show-
and song-
of all time?
Have a great day everyone!!

Last edited by Crime girl; 02-13-2005 at 11:33 PM.
Crime girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 07:19 AM   #12  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Hi guys, wasn't going to write because it's already bedtime but I will a bit anyhow just to stay caught up. Today was good eating wise. I brought chocolates for the guys at work and didn't touch them myself. It wasn't even hard though there were times around 4 or so where I wanted that chocolate or sugar fix. Unfortunately, I've been reaching for the coffee again. Must not start that again. I had been off it in the afternoon. Maybe that's why I was eating chocolate again, the caffeine.

shanberg -- good to hear from you again. It's tough not having the Net at home. Whenever you can get on we love to hear from you! How is your hand?! That sounds awful! Good luck on your weigh-in. It's already Monday night here. I'm so glad to hear I said something that made sense to you and maybe helped you! I do get on the soapbox a bit much. Just ignore me if I start to annoy you! Shanberg, don't think you have or had such a big problem. So many, many people don't believe in themselves or their dreams at one point or another or maybe most of the time for some. I think it's good to err on the "love it or leave it" side of things but I do try to reflect on what others are saying at least to keep my mind open, at least ask, think it over, see a bit of truth in things if it may be there, throw the rest out. . whatever. Reality is such a relative concept, perspectives, taste even moreso. Yes, I work with mostly men. They are exasperating at times. Of course it makes the day go more easily because they are so easily influenced and I have fun with them most of the time. They are much more frank and joke around much more than the women I know and I love that. But they can be so touchy too! Ah well, I don't mind. Except it does get annoying when they make google eyes at every young girl who comes walking down our end of the room. Oh yes, I'm with stormy, definitely don't be afraid of the weights. I love them!!

stormy -- there you go again reminding me of something I have to do! You're psychic! It was Dubai I was thinking of going to but I haven't applied. Can't bring myself to spend so much money when I'm so in debt. It's money I don't have. Tomorrow is the deadline. I sent out some emails to people to ask for advice. If I feel I can cut costs by writing a bit or see the trip as a possible investment by getting to know some other people then maybe I'll decide to go. Tough decision though. Oh, God, a red dining room! Egads! I would feel ill. Do they really do that? Wow. I just had a bagel, my second today. Uh-oh, onion or everything, those are my favorites. Yum.

doinmybest -- hi there. I didn't see stormy's post about Louisiana or your response before i posted mine though I see it was on there before mine. Ok, so it's the city. I have a friend there. Was there end of 2003 too down in, oh, where was that? near venice beach, I'm drawing a blank, I want to say Malibu, Monterey, oh!! I can't think of it, had a nice name. . . . SANTA MONICA, yes, I had to look it up on the Net. Was there to visit my cute young thing, as I called the guy I was with. Things took a bad turn there though. We saw a guy try to commit suicide off the end of the pier at the wharf and I just knew it was an omen. Sure enough, things started going bad. We'd met in Tokyo, hit it off in New York and I flew over from Tokyo to meet in L.A. Ah, at least it was romantic! don't mind me. I'm a hopeless romantic with a razor-edged flipside. Perhaps the term is nuts!

Crime girl -- wow, a lot of reading. Congrats for slogging through it! Uh oh. What did I say? When people start saying I have a "unique and thought-provoking outlook" on things I figure I've either pissed them off or they think I'm, what was that? a bit around the bend, and they're just being very diplomatic about it. You say it's a benefit to hear how I approach things but I worry. You must realize that I do a lot of quick thinking, quick writing and you mustn't take what I say as being the whole picture. . unless of course it was something you liked! I like the idea of someone changing my thinking. Can't say I can remember anyone today but I'll think about it. Oh, that was yesterday wasn't it. Today was something else romantic sounding. Oh well, I am looking for it, always looking for the romance.

By the way I got to the gym before work! jogged, biked, lifted weights!! Hurrah for me. Went in to Tokyo station, bought chocolates for the guys and then went to work. Was in a great mood most of the early part of the day, started to go downhill because one of the young guys started arguing about something he'd been shirking and I got pissed off at the usual cajoling banter and got honestly angry with him. Like shanberg said, working with guys can be such a pain at times. They have to have their little shows, their little poses and can't be seen as a wimp in front of their buddies. It's tough because I say anything these days! Well, I've get to get to sleep. Good luck with the scale this week Crime Girl. Be consistent. Stay consistent! The scale can't hold out against consistency and you will force it to show a drop in your weight.

Heh, grasshopper, where are you?!?! NBK, michi, Jacque?!!? Come back!! Shane! . . .oops, that was a different thread. . .

Last edited by redballoon; 02-14-2005 at 07:27 AM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:25 AM   #13  
stormy1

Great job hitting the gym, Red! Woohoo! So you spoiled those guys by buying them chocolate,huh? Glad you did not break down and eat any!

CG, school is going ok. Too much work, too little time. I go back this weekend so I have major work to do.

OK I am off to work I'll check in later.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old 02-14-2005, 09:50 AM   #14  
stormy1

Also, before I leave for work I need to report my final weight loss for my Valentine's Day challenge. I lost 8 pounds not 10 as I hoped to. So for my Easter challenge I will try to lose 6 pounds. I am starting today so please try to keep me accountable!
Old 02-14-2005, 10:03 AM   #15  
shannon

Default I Did It!!!!!

I actually did it! I dropped below the 260 mark! I lost 1.5 pounds! Wwwheewww!!! I am so totally excited! I can barely sit still! I am pumped beyond belief. I kept getting on and off the scale this morning just to make sure I wasn't imagining or reading it wrong!!!!!

Thank-you all soooo much for your support! You have all been such help and inspiration! Know this...if I can do it, so can you!!!!!!

Red - Don't worry too much about me. I always listen with an open ear. Its when people keep making the same negative comments/actions that I start moving away from them!

I hear ya about the guys! I love them, but sometimes they drive me a little nuts! And, you are right about the drooling over the young things! They'll call me and make a comment about a hottie. I tell them, I'm not gay, call me if its a cute guy! Sounds like your guys are as dramatic as mine. They always blow everything out of proportion! Sometimes its like a Shakespere play around here!

Great job on going to the gym! I know how you feel about not having money. I never have any. I barely make it without bouncing a check each month! Its hard being single, but having the same bills as a couple does. I bought a house, so most of my money goes toward my payment! I love it though! Wouldn't change it for anything!

My hand is okay. I just got a little crazy with the mop! Made my thumb swell like crazy! But it was worth it! My house looks GREAT!!!

Crime Girl - Reading with a dictionary...so takes me back! I did an independent study on summer and had to read a bunch of Supreme Court rulings. Those codgers just love to extemporate ! I had to use a dictionary AND a law book!!! It was horrible! But, to this day, I can read and understand a Supreme Court decision with no problem!

Glad your bet with your BF is working! Motivation is definately important for weight loss.

I didn't realize you were writing a book! Sounds like fun! I LOVE to read! That's all I do in my spare time (when I get some!).

I will send you my list thing! I love it. I just keep adding to it. It makes keeping up with my calories so much easier. My journal is imporatant, too. I, like you, wouldn't want the world to somehow read all my blabbering! It's just easier for me to use a journal. I can take it with me and write whenever I need to vent. It is acutally an appointment book. I just use it like a journal. Saves time having to write the date on the page everytime.

Stormy - Wha't up??? School, school, school...I'm betting! Can I ask what your major is? What year are you? I took a semester for my Master's after I got the job I have now...it was unreal. I never had any time for myself. I think I lived in the library! I decided I needed to reevaluate my future and decided I wanted to buy a house and have some kids. I couldn't do all of that and go to school, so I stopped going after that semester! I can't even imagine going to school and being married! That must really be interesting! Do you ever have you time?

Doinmybest - Do you prefer we use your real name or your screen name? Glad you decided to join. I love to talk, so I tend to post quite a bit....Can I ask what kind of book you are writing? What did you do before you started writing full time?

- question of the day-
What is your favorite-
book-hmmm...I don't have just one. I love anything Sci-fi, crime, horror, historical romance....
movie-I live for the movies. I love the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Resident Evil..
TV show-Stargate Sg-1 and Stargate Atlantis, Monk
and song-My name is not susan...Whitney Houston..pre-psycho
of all time?
Have a great day everyone!!
shanberg is offline   Reply With Quote