Old 08-30-2004, 07:38 PM   #16  
RosieKate

Thanks - loosinit! I think the recipes are fine...this is where I came looking for them,

Cornmeal and oatmeal are faves of mine..I'm glad to see some recipes I can use and stay OP
Thanks, Katy
Old 08-30-2004, 08:56 PM   #17  
GmaTo8

Thumbs up

Loosinit, yep, this is the right place. We don't have a special place for Core recipes here at JL - just regular and lite ones. I'm hoping we can keep all Core stuff on this one thread, at least until we see how it goes. Thanks so much for sharing.

Katy - I waited too long for the rest of my cantaloupe - it was bad, which I didn't know til I took a bite, ewwww. But I just moved on to strawberries instead.

I have done well so far, but forgot to mention that I put 1 T. brown sugar on my oatmeal this morning. So I used 3 flex points for the day instead of just 2. It was a little difficult to not have my Peanut Butter Captain Crunch for a snack today, lol, but I survived.

Gotta go check in at chit chat, but I'll post tomorrow's menu in the morning.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 09:24 PM   #18  

Default I love the Core Plan ...here's today's menu ...

Today's menu:
Breakfast: Oatmeal Pancakes w/ banana slices

Lunch: 'Core' chili, and Jalapeno Corn Bread and a nectarine

Snack: Chocolate ff pudding w/ banana

Dinner: Fritatta (g pepper, onion, baby red potatoes, eggbeaters, basil, tomato and soy cheese) and a nectarine

Before bed Snack: Apple and Soy milk
Loosinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 08:20 AM   #19  
GmaTo8

Arrow So far, so good!

Both of your daily menus sound very healthy and very Core.

Here's mine for today:

B - toasted English muffin (2.5 fp), Canadian bacon, egg white, orange (going for the daily Vitamin C)
L - tomato soup w/milk, turkey salad, 5 saltines (1 fp), apricots
S - leftover soup
D - tossed salad, boneless pork tenderloin, baked potato w/salsa, green beans, milk
S - popcorn

That will bring my flex points to 6.5. Since I am doing this for 5 days instead of 7, (my wi is Saturday) the total flex allowed is 25. My only problem so far is not having sugar in the mid-afternoon. Once I get past that, I'll be ok.

My family was not very happy with the brown rice last night. They are used to Uncle Ben's wild rice, with only 1/2 of the flavor packet added. What can I add to it next time to make it more flavorful? Any particular spices?

TIA,
Old 08-31-2004, 11:18 AM   #20  
RosieKate

Jana - I cook brown rice in chicken broth, and my family seems to like it just fine. Sometimes Molly McButter adds a little zip, too.

Yesterday went well, I thought. I used 2 flex points to have some Butterball FF turkey with my afternoon snack of baby carrots. I started crashing in the afternoon, too Jana. Really started missing those carbs. I had a cup of coffee, which helped. I actually read that in a magazine somehwere. Some people just crash in the afternoon, this doc's recommendation was coffee or green tea, and maybe a little protein like string cheese. It helped me yesterday. Thank goodness there weren't any Frutios in the house, or I might have gone a little nuts.

today's menu

Breakfast - oatmeal, w/ 1 tb of soy nut butter ( using 2 Flex points), apple slices

Lunch - probably tuna and something, maybe eat up the green salad or get to that cantaloupe that is still sitting on my counter.

snack - popcorn and fruit. DS wants some FF pudding and sugar-free jello, so we might make up some of that today and have it for a snack

Dinner - salmon, brown rice, cooked chard

dessert - fruit or FF pudding
Cheers
Katy
Old 08-31-2004, 11:47 AM   #21  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Someone mentioned a corn bread recipe-I found this one online at WW but there isn't one that is CORE. It is 3 points. Anyway, thought I would share.

Cornbread

1 cup uncooked cornmeal, yellow
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
14 3/4 oz cream-style corn, canned
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 large egg whites
2 tsp. corn oil

1. Preheat oven to 400% coat an 8 in square cake pan with cooking spray.

2. Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Mix well with a fork, then make a well int he center; set aside.

3. Combine creamed corn, buttermilk, egg whites and oil in medium bowl: mix until blended. Fold mixture into dry ingredients; mix until blended. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth the top.

4. Bake until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely before cutting into 8 squares.

3 points.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 12:01 PM   #22  
GmaTo8

Cristi - that recipe sounds worth every bit of the 3 points! Thank you for sharing it.

Katy - do you worry about Vitamin C, or does cantaloupe have that? I should know, considering my geographic location, lol. Thanks for the ideas on the rice. Your menu sounds good to me. Instead of the standard dill, we love salmon with teriyaki sauce (core) on it, like how it is served at Applebee's.

It's too soon for me to publicly state my opinion of Core, but let me just say I won't be throwing away my point's calculator!

BBL,
Old 08-31-2004, 12:43 PM   #23  

Height: 5'1"

I hope you girls don't mind...but I'm just watching how you're doing this week on this before I attempt it. I want to see if you think it's worth it at the end of the week.

Now...isn't that an excuse or what?!
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:17 PM   #24  
GmaTo8

Exclamation

I'm having a tough time... I just atedouble peanut butter and graham crackers that were NOT on my menu. Now I have to count 11 points - that's all of today's, all of tomorrow's, and some of Thursday's!! So technically, I am still OP, and let me tell you, I'm still well within my regular points range, even counting what I'm having for dinner tonight! I think maybe I'm trying too hard to limit the Core foods, and that's making me too hungry?

I forgot about the orange from breakfast, and have no idea how! I even came in here and posted to Katy about Vitamin C!! Then I only had about 2 oz. turkey and 1 cup of milk for lunch and none of the soup and saltines. When I went in to fix the soup, I just went for the pb & graham crackers! Letting myself get too hungry was probably the problem?

I had 25 FP for the 5 days, and have consumed 16 of them already between yesterday (3) and today (13!)! That leaves 9 for 3 more days.... well, that's do-able!

Katy, how's it going for you? Better than me, I hope!
Old 08-31-2004, 04:27 PM   #25  
RosieKate

Jana - I take a Vitamin C supplement - big follower of Linus Pauling. I believe it helps the immune system, plus its water soluble, so I don't worry about getting too much. I also take a calcium citrate ( citracal), vitamin E, and a multivitamin.

I used 4 flex points for lunch today and ate some leftover homemade pizza. Followed it up with some FF/sugar free pudding and 1/2 cantaloupe. I reserve the right to improvise as the day progresses...

My thoughts so far after 1.5 days of core:
I love being unlimited on fruits and vegetables - I think any healthy food plan should be this way.

I think they are a bit screwy with the dairy. I don't like alot of ff dairy, but I am trying. It is a way to get protein without alot of calories. I'm going to see how the week plays out before i have a more firm opinion about this. For instance, they have soy milk on their No count. They don't stipulate FF or not. I know that soy milk is higher in cals and fat than 1% milk, yet 1% has to be flex point food. Also the Soy nut butter I ate this morning had the same fat/cals as a glass of soy milk, but it is also flex. These are quibbles, and I am trying to be a good "core" gal here......just some observations really.

If I were more of a meat eater, I think I would be loving the core plan, but I'm not, so that's probably why I'm getting hungry.

Katy
Old 08-31-2004, 04:31 PM   #26  
RosieKate

Forgot to mention I am on Day 2 with 28 flex points left... we'll see how happy I am, oh , say, Friday evening!

Maybe we need to eat larger helpings of the no count foods...I did have 2 cups of oatmeal this morning and it did keep me satisfied til lunch. i ate the pizza more out of desire to not see it go to waste than anything else. So far it is 1:30 and I haven't started craving anything yet...better than yesterday
Katy
Old 08-31-2004, 04:55 PM   #27  
GmaTo8

Katy, sounds like you're doing ok! I feel a lot better now than when I was here earlier, lol. I'm not even starting to get hungry for a snack after the pb & graham crackers and will serve dinner a little later than usual.

I don't think I'll have any more problems now that I know to eat enough. And no, I'm not real big on meat, either. I also don't understand the dairy restrictions. They will probably have to iron out the kinks like they did with the fiber snafu a year or two ago. Did you see at official WW's where they are roasting garbanzo beans and eating them like fritos or something? LOL!! But whatever works, I say, go for it! Just never thought of those as a "crunchy snack" choice.

My only problem now is, following a list seems so much like a "diet" where counting points did not. For example, we have weiner roasts several times in the fall. With flex, I would be able to count the turkey hot dog and lite bun in my daily allowance, but with Core, they are both an additional points foods that go against the weekly total.

Oh well, onward and downward! I'll post my tomorrow menu later tonight.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:58 PM   #28  
RosieKate

I was poking around the WW forum and read that, once you get to goal, you get an additional 28 point added to your weekly 35. That makes this all seem a little easier to bear, I think. So, at maintenance, you'd be looking at a diet of unlimited lean or FFmeats/dairy, fruits and veggies, and 9 points a day of "other". something to look forward to....
Old 08-31-2004, 08:16 PM   #29  
GmaTo8

Smile

Katy, That is really good news for the people who stay with Core.. However, I think that as soon as my feet hit the floor Saturday morning, I am done with it! Although I am fine now, what I said about this seeming too much like a diet is true... no way could I do this for long! But I will finish until my wi like I said I would. Here's my menu for tomorrow....

B - western omelet made of 1 egg, 2 egg whites, tomatoes, onion and green peppers; 1 slice toast (1 FP) and canned plums.
L - tossed salad w/ turkey; 1 cup ff/sf banana pudding with 1 crushed graham cracker sprinkled on top. (1FP)
S - 1 c. ff cottage cheese and 2 clementines
D - cinnamon apples; spiced round steak; pasta salad made with whole wheat rotini, ff Italian dressing, celery, seeded cukes & tomatoes; baby carrots
S- popcorn

Fruits usually taste best to me fresh, but I love canned plums! Also, did you notice that you have to eat 2 (yes two) cups of cottage cheese for it to count as a dairy serving? (Check out page 38!) But there is no way I can eat all that! I guesss you notices that I am trying real hard to get in my graham cracker by topping the pudding with it, lol. More than one way to skin a cat, right? The spices I use on the round steak is Mrs. Dash salt-free Grilling Blends. I also sometimes use it on hamburgers and roasts in the crock pot, and it is so good!

Well, you can't say I don't plan ahead, lol. But I am so used to doing this after 7 months of WW!

What's your plan for manana?
Old 08-31-2004, 10:43 PM   #30  
RosieKate

Well - today just got all thrown off..just one of those days I guess. My DS had a late afternoon playdate. I ate a laughing cow light and carrots and popcorn. Dinner was leftover chicken, potato and broccoli from last night. DS and I ate alot of FF/SF pudding 'cause it just tasted so good! We've decided that we really like jello fat free sugar free chocolate fudge. A much more palatable way to get that skim milk in...

Manana

Breakfast - repeat of oatmeal and soy nutbutter ( 1 flex)
Lunch - I need to eat up the green salad and cantaloupe, so that's the plan. Will top the salad with shrimp. I get them frozen from Costco and they are very good.
Dinner - will make what I planned on making tonight, salmon, brown rice and cooked chard. I'm going to try the teriyaki tip, Jana. Sounds yummy

In other news....
I have a ton of stuff in the freezer to use to make chicken stock, so I plan to try to get that done sometime this week, then make soup. I will most likely make lentil soup, then some kind of chicken and vegetable combo. Hopefully I can find the time to do it.

Katy