Old 01-11-2005, 06:56 PM   #406  

Hi Skinny and Marie,

Thanks for the tip about the article I'll look for it. Glad to hear from you Skinny. You always have words of wisdom. I think your suggestion about finding lower cal snacks and food is a good one. I had a good eating day today. Made a Sicilian Seafood Stew for dinner - lots of onions, peppers, celery and tomatoes and then some shrimp and scallops. I'll be off to my workout after the I help out with homework. It's a long day, but I look forward to my late night workout.

I wish you well with the issues at home. Is there any chance that your husband would work out with you? You could walk and talk. Just a thought. Your sister sounds tremendous. What a help. You deserve to be pampered.

Take care.
tiredoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:27 AM   #407  

Default Good morning, ladies

Hope everyone is having a good health day. Things here are good. I'm getting ready to make myself some English breakfast tea. I've pretty much eliminated caffiene from my diet (believe it or not!) but miss my warm drink in the morning. So, tea it is.

TOF-thanks for your kind words. You're always an encouragement to me. Your stew sounds yummy! Any chance of sharing the recipe? DH and I walk together some but right now, I can do a mile in approximately 13-15 minutes and it takes DH 17-10 minutes. He doesn't want to slow me down. But we usually start out together or end together.

Marie-how's it going? Let us hear from you, my friend.

I'm having trouble squeezing in all my veggies/fruits for the day. My menu this week was a lot of crock pot stuff that didn't need anything else. We usually have salad a lot but veggies are getting very expensive. I'll have to work on that. I brought carrots and celery to snack on today so I'm trying.

I'm doing well w/water, eating and exercise. Walked 5 miles last night. I needed to do my stretching video this morning but also had to put dinner in the crockpot (italian chicken) so stretching got left out. Oh, well. I'll just have to have DH push me out of bed tomorrow! I won't walk tonight as Weds and Sun are my days off.

Ladies, have a great health day! Let me know how things are going.
skinny_butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:14 PM   #408  

Hi Skinny, good to see you're back on track. I'll get that recipe to you when I have a few minutes - maybe tomorrow. I'm running late today. Tell me what you know about caffeine - I drink a lot of coffee. How will eliminating help me out? I really don't know. I like the buzz, but I really like the heat and tea can do that so I'm interested.

I'm still having trouble keeping the cals to 1500. 2,000 seems to feel better these days. I know it's due to the exercise, but I don't want to sabotage my weight loss. Exercising has changed my schedule so I'm evaluating what to eat and when to try to maximize my chance to lose weight and not be too hungry or crabby. Any advice or ideas welcome.

My legs were tired tonight. I managed a 30 minute workout on the treadmill - a mix of jog/run/walk. I'm hoping to go for a long swim tomorrow night at the pool - we'll see but I plan to do 30 min. of something. Take care and thanks for the encouraging post. You're motivating me.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:07 AM   #409  

Hope everyone is having a good health day. Things here are good. I was on point yesterday and met my water goals. I really should have stretched yesterday morning but got busy doing other things. Oh, well. After I walk my 3 miles tonight, I'll have 22 miles for the week. Woo-hoo. I'll be glad to have my living room back so I can incorporate my stretching/aerobics back into my routine.

TOF-Caffiene is a big no-no for me for many reason.
1) It gives me painful fybroid tumors in my breasts.
2) It aggrevates my endometriosis.
3) It keeps me from retaining iron. I'm borderline enemic so I have to careful w/that. I'm also careful w/tea-even decaf-as my doctor told me years ago when I was pregnant w/my oldest DD that there is a chemical in tea that keeps some people from retaining the iron they need. In Oct. when I went away for the weekend w/my sister's, I had so much tea it's a wonder I didn't float home! I tried blueberry, strawberry/kiwi, rasberry and orange spice. There were all wonderful. However, I went Sunday evening to try to donate blood and they wouldn't take it b/c my iron was too low! I know it was b/c of all the tea.

There's an awesome article on caffeine in the National Geographic for this month. It might actually be dated as February. Doesn't matter. It's a great article. It gives a lot of valid concerns that scientist have re: the effect of caffiene on our bodies. I'm sure you could find a copy of it at your local library. If not, I've got it so let me know if you'd like me to send a copy.

TOF-do you work out at a gym or the Y? If so, I'm sure they probably have someone on staff that could answer your calorie questions. Also, our local health department has a dietician/nutritionist on staff. Maybe check yours and seek advise about the calorie issues. Hope that helps.

Marie-we miss you! Hurry back.

Well, ladies. I'm off. Have a great day! Thanks for all your support and encouragement. Don't forget weigh in is this Sat. I know, I know-I'd just as soon forget it as well! but we need to continue staying focused and on track and stepping on that scale will surely do it for me!
Old 01-13-2005, 05:19 PM   #410  

Hi Skinny. Marie, where are you. I'm missing you.

Thanks for the encouragement Skinny. Yes, this weekend's weigh in will officially mark that we're back on for the next leg of the journey. Our preparation for spring/summer leg of the journey. I need this kind of encouragement lately. Good eating day today. I plan to swim tonight and I'm looking forward to it. I've never looked forward to exercise so much - that's a positive step.

I'm hoping to break 170 by February - hopefully at the start of the month. Any other tips for keeping the focus. I think the most motivational prize for myself is buying some spring clothes at a new size. Perhaps I should make a date for it - maybe mid March. Perhaps I'll plan a trip to the outlet malls and buy a few pieces of clothing for the spring season. That's two months away and hopefull 10-20 lbs away. Let's see.

Skinny, have you read back at some of our earlier posts it is amazing what we've accomplished - about 40 lbs for you and 35 for me. Take care. How many for you Marie? Skinny you and I are a similar distance from our goals - when do you think we can get there?

sw210 cw 175 gw 150
Old 01-14-2005, 09:27 AM   #411  

Hope things are going well for you. Things here are good but chilly today. It's 31 here. I know that isn't really cold but it was in the 50's yesterday! That's one thing about KY, if you don't like the weather-stick around a few minutes b/c it will be different soon! Practically everyone here at the office has a cough b/c this crazy flip-flop weather!

I walked 3 miles last night, met my water goals and also managed to eat a few oreo's w/my DD without blowing my points! It's always good to squeeze in chocolate somewhere when you PMS'ing!

I'm back and ready to go to my sister's. I got an e-mail from her this morning. I had ask her if there was a park nearby that I could get my walk in. She said there was but she didn't want me to go alone or in the morning or late at night. Does she sound like a big sister or what!

TOF-I like your shopping idea. Sounds like great motivation. How's it going for you today? I set a goal of 7.5 pounds gone by Valentines Day. That will put me back where I was before Christmas. I guess, after that, I'll need to regroup. Of course, my first big goal in to get under 200. Right now I don't feel like eating good and exercising is doing any good. I'm PMS'ing and TOM next week so feeling bloated no matter what I do. Oh, well. That just means my weigh in after TOM should be good! I'm maintaining during this time so that's something to ge thankful for!

Marie-still missing you. Hope everything is okay. Ck in soon, please.

Have a great health day. Take care.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:37 AM   #412  

Hope things are going well for you. Things here are good but chilly today. It's 31 here. I know that isn't really cold but it was in the 50's yesterday! That's one thing about KY, if you don't like the weather-stick around a few minutes b/c it will be different soon! Practically everyone here at the office has a cough b/c this crazy flip-flop weather!

I walked 3 miles last night, met my water goals and also managed to eat a few oreo's w/my DD without blowing my points! It's always good to squeeze in chocolate somewhere when you PMS'ing!

I'm back and ready to go to my sister's. I got an e-mail from her this morning. I had ask her if there was a park nearby that I could get my walk in. She said there was but she didn't want me to go alone or in the morning or late at night. Does she sound like a big sister or what!

TOF-I like your shopping idea. Sounds like great motivation. How's it going for you today? I set a goal of 7.5 pounds gone by Valentines Day. That will put me back where I was before Christmas. I guess, after that, I'll need to regroup. Of course, my first big goal in to get under 200. Right now I don't feel like eating good and exercising is doing any good. I'm PMS'ing and TOM next week so feeling bloated no matter what I do. Oh, well. That just means my weigh in after TOM should be good! I'm maintaining during this time so that's something to ge thankful for!

Marie-still missing you. Hope everything is okay. Ck in soon, please.

Have a great health day. Take care.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:50 PM   #413  

Hi Skinny and Marie,

The day went well until dinner time. I joined the boys for pizza and ice cream. Oh well. I'm full now and I won't eat anymore today. I've really been struggling with eating this week. I've waged a battle and didn't lose altogether, but it wasn't the best eating week. I started researching about food and exercise. I read some interesting information. It seems that moderate exercise like walking is almost better for weight loss than the strenuous exercise I've been doing. The study I read said that moderate exercise curtailed appetite while strenuous exercise increased appetite in women (not men interesting enough). There are many articles about this so I plan to read, read, read. I'm also going to relook at my choices since I've been too hungry and I read also that hunger is what makes people give up on their diets. Food for thought - better than food for the stomach!

Have a great trip. I'm planning on a big workout in the am tomorrow and taking the time to rethink. I'm also thinking that I need a hobby to keep my mind off of work. I think my hobby will be starting to paint and refurbish the bathrooms in my house - they are in terrible condition. It's a good time to do this.

Take care.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:09 AM   #414  

How are things w/everyone? Things here are good. I did 50 minutes/4 miles on the ellip. yesterday, stayed op and met my water goals. I'm going for a walk after while. It's 25 degrees here at my sis's in IN so I may be walking more briskly than usual!

TOF-A hobby sounds like a good idea. So does reading, reading, reading. I've done tons of research on bipolar and have learned a lot. I'll bet there is a connection to increased hunger and exercise. Let me know what you learn. I wouldn't worry about the pizza and ice cream too much. Sometimes you just have to relax. As well as you do all the rest of the time, I just wouldn't worry about it. My hobby is cross-stitch and it does help. According to my sis, I'm going to learn to crochet this weekend. Ambitious, isn't she? But, it is something I'd like to learn so maybe I can get the basics from her and learn more on my own at home. You picked a BIG hobby, didn't you? My home is only 2 years old so I'm not at the point of remodeling/refurbishing yet but there are little things already that ned to be done. I have started a list of little things we need around the house and it's growing every day! But, I love being a homeowner. Oh, I find I do pretty well w/just walking. One summer, walking was the only exercise I did-and w/o dieting, and I lost 15-20 pounds.

Marie-I miss you. Come back soon.

Well, gotta sign off for now. Breakfast is waiting! hee, hee. Actually, I guess at this point it's brunch! Whatever, it's going to be good! Talk to you soon. Be kind to yourself. Have a great weekend!!
Old 01-15-2005, 01:34 PM   #415  

Hi Skinny, it's great to hear you so upbeat. I've been trying to center myself today and get my goals straight. I find that if my goals aren't straight, I'm less than positive and happy with myself.

I spent a long time today talking with relatives that I haven't spoken with in a while. Now I'm picking up the house. I think I'll get started on that house to do list this weekend and buy some supplies to start one of the jobs. I'll confer with my DH first to prioritize.

It will be a low key weekend for all. I'll be going to the pool later with my children to play. Have a great weekend. I'm hoping for a good workout sometime this weekend, then I'll weigh in. I'm thinking that I'll be a bit high due to the addition of exercise which puts on "lean muscle" as I read and the fact that my cals have been up. Thanks for the encouragement - now for the laundry!
Old 01-16-2005, 12:23 PM   #416  

Hi, I hit a slump! But I'm back. Why the slump? I've identified three reasons. First, exhaustion - I simply was not getting enough sleep and exhaustion leads to overeating. Second - trying to do too much ex. at once. I'm going to try an every other day schedule this week to see if it helps with my stamina and I'm going to try the mornings instead again. Third, I didn't have enough healthy, bulky fill you up snacks around like lots of veggies.

Hope all is well. I have to run because my dh has been working overtime to help me with the slump. I'll be back. Marie, missing you.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:55 PM   #417  

Hi again! Just checking in to see if anyone has listed. Having a hang out day and getting caught up on life. Take care.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:30 AM   #418  

I have mixed emotions today. Here's why: I had to update my signature to reflect the weight I gained during Thanksgiving/Christmas. I gained around 13 pounds back during that time b/c I wasn't exercising regularly or eating properly all the time. What an idiot! Oh, well. However, I feel good today b/c I finally dropped 2 of those pounds! So, my scale has started back downward! That's great! I guess I just need to concentrate on that and the fact that I'm back on track and doing well. So, YEAH-2 pounds gone!

I stayed op all weekend and only used 6 FP. I also managed to get most of my fruit, veggies in. I walked Sat. and my sis went w/me, although she made me promise to walk my warm-up pace so she could keep up. It was a really nice trail. It was 1 1/4 miles and went through woods and there was a pond that had ducks/geese on it. It was nice just to spend some alone time w/Carol. I had a great weekend and recuped a little from all the domestic stuff going on. So grateful for my dear sis! She's an angel!

Good thing I recuped a little. Our adult son moved out Sun. night. Don't think he's ready for it yet but he doesn't want to abide by our rules. (He's 20). So, he's gone. Part of me is relieved-I got to exercise in my living room this morning w/Richard Simmons! But the mom in me is worried b/c I don't think he's ready to be away from family yet. He wants someone to take care of him w/o holding him accountable. With the addiction he's overcoming, he definitely needs accountability. Oh, well. He's in God's hands so I just have to keep praying and trust God.

TOF-sounds like you're getting on track w/everything. The reasons you gave for being tired were right on. I've made it a point to be in bed by 10:00 every night-even if it means dirty dishes in the kitchen-my biggest pet peeve! I'm completely exhausted if I don't have at least 7 hours sleep. I'm also working on getting more veggies and fruit in my diet. Let me know how the changes work for you. I'm glad your dh is helping in your endeavor. It's a big help for me to have my dh's support. Makes all the difference in the world somedays!

Oh, dh has lost 13 pounds. I'm so proud of him. He's really sticking w/it this time. And his counseling session went well. He really likes this guy. He goes back Thurs.

Marie-where are you darling? We're missing you something fierce! Ck in soon!

Well, gotta run. My decaf vanilla bean coffee awaits! Have a great health day. Talk to you soon.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:47 PM   #419  

Hi Skinny, So nice to hear from you. Christmas was tough on the diet for all. Next year hopefully we'll still be on this thread and we can preplan better for the holiday so we don't gain. I myself have been up above 175 and then back down and up again. Next Christmas I hope to replace food centered activities with some fun health activities such as a winter walk, maybe some cross country skiing, perhaps power shopping with a fast walk through the mall. I really got the doldrums after eating all the fat food and not loosing. So we learned this time and good for you for starting fresh and doing lots of positive things like visiting your sister and going for great walks. I'm sorry to hear about your son. It's very difficult. I know this from an experience with a family member. Just keep including him on a regular basis for dinner or a walk or talk and showing him your love - enabling him by letting him stay on and not follow the rules is not a good idea. I know you're doing the right thing because you are a thoughtful, prayerful decision maker.

Good news here. I decided to join a health group at the club. It's led by a woman who knows a lot about diet, exercise and health. We'll meet once a week to learn about healthy lifestyle and refine our goals. I met with her alone for an hour and she helped me make goals. My goals are to exercise on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. On Tues and Thurs I'm going to jog slowly 3 miles. On Saturday I'll jog and do some strength exercises. Then on Sunday she wants me to try water exercise. She said that the pool exercise is a good alternative day exercise to running or walking (something about your muscles - I didn't quite get it.) Then on the alternative days she wants me to try to fit in some stretching, exercises or a walk - lighter movement. As for eating she's upped my cals to 1800 since I've added the exercise and she's helping me with food choices. Her food plan sounds a lot like Weight Watchers as it reminds me of the variety of foods you've been eating - I have not been eating as much a variety. Anyways I think it will help with motivation and I'll share anything that I think you'll benefit from or be interested in. Feel free to disregard.

Skinny, I appreciate you being here. I'm sure you'll break 200 by early spring and that will be great!!!! YOU CAN DO IT! I can feel your positive energy. Take care.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:30 PM   #420  

Hi, TOF! Yes, Christmas/Thanksgiving will be different this year. At least we learned something from it and are moving forward. It's when people stay stuck in their mistakes/bad choices that life becomes really difficult. So, yeah us for getting back on track!

Son-he's supposed to be back Saturday to pick up a few things that were in the laundry. He's always welcome for dinner or just to visit and he knows it. We left the door wide open. I hope he doesn't drop out of counseling or get off his meds but that will be his decision.

Sounds like the health group is a great idea. It also sounds like your leader knows what she's talking about. I love the WW plan mostly b/c it doesn't exclude anything-you just have to allot for the points you use. I ate what I wanted at my sis's this weekend and only used 6 flexpoints all weekend. It's definitely a doable plan. I hope you find this to be a great source of knowledge and encouragement. Now, are you a member of a "women only" club? We are members at our local Y.

Thanks for your support and encouragement. It's needed and appreciated! I'm certain we will both be successful!

Talk to ya, soon. Have a great evening.