Old 02-22-2004, 03:38 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 187/185/140

Height: 5'9

Elisha, I am in the same boat as you. I have a bf who just won't stop bringing home chips and cookies. I have an obese sister who refuses to admit to her weight problem even tho the doctor told her she's got to lose the weight or be dead of a heartattack in 5 years. What I do....is...force myself to be strong. Make things in my house less junk food friendly. I throw out all opened bags of chips and cookies. If bf says where are they? I say they went stale. I cook for myself. I tell people that aren't supportive that I can't have them over or go to their house unless they agree to be supportive. It's amazing how blunt honesty can work. I now have some friends who invite me for lunch or dinner and serve very health conscious meals! And they in turn, have realized how poorly they've been eating. Mind you this is only a few of my friends. ANd I'm finding my circle of friends has become smaller because of my healthy lifestyle choices....but I intend to live alot longer and healthier....So that is what I do. Mind you, I do falloff the bandwagon...But I alway climb back up!

Grassie! Good for you and the other students standing up for yourselves! United we stand! As for the teacher being surprisingly nice....I wouldn't be surprised if someone has gone to the head of the dept. or the Dean and said something. A prof's attitude will change dramatically once they've been thrown under the bus. Wow...spring break already? I hope you go somewhere nice! I have been itching to go back home to Baja...just the right timing to catch the last of the whale migrations.

Raven!!! Posting trot 6 times!!! AND a Canter!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY...I know how hard that posting trot is! Congratulations! Now just think of all the wonderful muscles you are building with it! As for cantering...the trick is..relax and ride from the hips...my old English instructors could never getover how I would just sit and go with the horse at a canter...And I had to explain to them it was all those years of Western Pleasure showing!lol And Congrats on having such a good day.

I just got news that we have our first baby on teh ground at the barn! A little filly, kinda hard to tell her her color..Grulla right now..;but who knows what she'll shed out to be. She has a white mapleleaf shaped star on her forehead...so her owners are going to call her Maple....I know...pretty hokie...but hey...it's better than George or Spot!!LMAO

Have a great day ladies!
Hotsplashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 05:54 PM   #32  
Student of the Hoof

Happy Sunday! Well .. sort of - that means tomorrow is Monday and I have to go to work... blah.

Grasshopper - Excellent that the teacher got the message. Why ask why? That ought to make the next couple months a bit easier to cope with.

Elisha - Hm. I divorced the guy that kept sabotaging my diet. Eh, yeah, there was a lot more wrong than that, but he was so insecure that he kept thinking I'd leave him if I lost weight. So he'd bring home those wonderful dove ice cream bars because "I was so grumpy." My fault for putting them in my mouth. I think what it comes down to is making it clear and sticking to it. It's harder when people bring food into your home that you can't eat. No doubt about that. But I think ultimately it does have to be YOUR decision to say no. And if they insist, get up in their face about it. Sometimes you really have to get serious before people will take you seriously. You know, I started trying to change my life a year ago. When I announced my plans to my family, my daughters comment was "yeah, sure, right mom" Now.. I could have slugged her or started crying, both of which crossed my mind, but I decided to do neither, and instead I thought in my head "just you wait, girlie, just you wait." Three months later, she was the one saying to me "Wow Mom, you ARE losing weight, your gut doesn't stick out past your boobs anymore!" I decided to take it as the compliment it was intended as. It doesn't mean I've been perfect, or I learned everything overnight, it meant I just needed to keep trying. I know it's hard when there are foods around that you want, and people around pushing them on you, but really - only YOU can decide whether it's going to end up in your mouth or not.

HS - Thank you, thank you. It's been 30 years since I cantered. I know in my brain what I need to do, it's just going to take practice to get it all working together again. I even taught my daughter that lovely hip roll .. erm.. I told her to really get to *know* that saddle. She finally got it, that and keeping her shoulders back after I spent an hour in the arena yelling "shoulders back" at her every time she'd start to lean forward. Now she's the one yelling it at me! What fun. She even made me practice the hip roll motion while I was just sitting there on Copper... I felt so goofy, but really, it's what I need to do! What breed is the filly?? Do we get to see pictures?? OMG a little grulla!! *die* I love odd colored horses. I want one of each color...

Today was all about stripping stalls and picking the arena and sweeping the barn. I think that was workout enough. I talked to Rosa about a little deal where I'll come out every Sunday morning and strip stalls and feed so she has a morning off, and in return, I get free lessons. YAY! I can't wait. So now my daughter is working for her lessons, I'm working for mine, and the only one I have to pay for is Machine (my son, he rides too).

I have one week from tomorrow to reach my goal of 5 pounds for the month.. I'm curious as to what the scale will read tomorrow morning. Maybe I can actually pull it off!

Off to cook dinner.
RavenToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 09:44 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 160/147/130

Height: 5'4"

You know, my family did that for a long time. It drove me crazy!! Caused a lot of problems in the family because it was a very "you're not done til every scrap of food is gone!" then there was the "there's only 2 bites left in the bowl, don't make me store it - just eat it." Then came the "you're putting on some pounds aren't you....." My personal favorite though was when my great grandmother - the very one stuffing all this food down our faces told me that "you must be getting fat, I don't have trouble seeing you anymore..."

How did I handle it, I told them flat out that this is the choice that I've made. No, it's not forever and yes, every NOW AND THEN I will eat a special meal with them but this is the choice and if they don't like it, I just won't be eating with them for a while. The ball is in their court. Believe it or not I had to leave the house several times before they got the picture - but they did finally get it.

I'm sorry you're not getting the support. You have it here though - I know that doesn't help when it's actually happening - but you do have our support. We're proud of you for making possitive, healthy changes!!! You're family may never come around - but the beauty of it is that they don't have to. It would be nice, but it's not a requirement for you to reach your own goals!!

Good luck with them! Be clear, polite but firm and let them know what it's doing to you when they push food on you and how much it hurts your feelings that they aren't supporting your goals. Then just leave if you have to. I can't promise it will work, but it did work for me....
little grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 06:38 AM   #34  
Confirmed Scales Addict

Hi al,
Welcome newbies...its great to see new people posting, while the old 'uns fall off the wagon and don't post for days on end!!!
Tulip-Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 06:56 AM   #35  
Confirmed Scales Addict

See what is wrong with my machine?????? That just got posted and i only just started typing!!!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! I hate my puter!!

Like i said in my "last post!" I fell off the wagon... well i was a bit tipsy at the time!!
The weekend started early with a funeral on Thrusday (Hubby's uncle died!) which meant travelling half way up the country for the service, then friday was our anniversary where we had planned an afternoon drinking with friends but then our wonderful kids all stayed over at friends or granparents which left us kid free...!! Yippee...had a hangover from **** on Saturday ate way too much on Friday night, then again on saturday to chase the hangover away and got taxi's everywhere so no walking excersie to boot!! How bad am i???

I am back on track and eating well today..need to drink more water today to combat the deydraytion from the weekend!

Since we are doing the inventory of animals...i will join in..(shouldn't take me too long!)
1 yorkshire terrier (5months old - NOT housetrained yet!)
1 hubby (42 years old and still only partially housetrained!)
3 daughers (14, 12 & 8 yrs old - progress is slow, but i'm working on it!)

Splashes - hope the job hunting goes better than mine...I'm looking at starting something myself also, i need to fit in with my family and nothing i look at does that!!! that we find something soon.

Need to change my C/W from 125 to 127 OUCH!!!! If I needed motivation, that gave it to me...I really don't want to see my numbers going up!

I promise i'll call back in tomorrow...
Old 02-23-2004, 01:11 PM   #36  

oh man! I got out of bed this morning to go to the gym. dropped my brush right next to my foot. Went down stairs, dropped a plate in the floor - missed my foot. Then about 2 minutes later, dropped a FULL glass of water on my big toe and broke it.

I'm soooo mad!!!!! At least I have a two week break before my next clinic to figure out why I'm throwing things at my feet. NO gym for me for a while. Pilates at home it is. Still mad!!
Old 02-23-2004, 03:40 PM   #37  
Student of the Hoof

Hey peeps.

Grasshopper - uhm .. hey, if you need a break, you know.. just take one! Talk about self sabotage. I have days like that, though. Seems like no matter what I do, I'm going to end up injuring myself. I hope your toe feels better soon!

Tulip - I love to have a glass or two of wine in the evenings, but I've had to stop that completely. Not just the calories from the wine itself, but - like you kind of noticed there - it completely wrecks my ability to monitor my intake of food. Ah well, at some point I will be in maintenance, and then I can add in the wine once in a while!

I did ok today.. but I never got over to Walmart to pick up new headphones, so my treadmill workout this morning was not exactly over the top. I still managed to do my 2 miles in 30 minutes, so I guess it wasn't that bad. The real upside to all this is that I've dropped another pound. I'm only a half pound away from my 5 pound monthly goal now, and if I can squeeze a pound and a half out of this week, that puts me at my stealth goal for the month. I might actually do this yet. I'll try to hit Walmart on the way home tonight and pick up the headphones, and maybe I'll try to do my back/shoulders tonight.

Last edited by RavenToy; 02-23-2004 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:08 AM   #38  
Confirmed Scales Addict

GOOD MORNING...OR SHOULD I SAY GOOD AFTERNOON! It's nearly 2pm here and i've spent all morning cooking yummy stuff for the kids lunch boxes. I have also made two batches of soup to see me and hubby through the week at lunch times!

Grassie...the things you do to get out of doing excersie, just take the day off girl, you don't need to damage yourself!! Hope the toe is feeling better soon!

Splashes???? Where'd you go?? If your sat on the couch, eating biscuits i'm gonna smack your bottom!! ...or she could be out job hunting i suppose if so said bottom will not be smacked - promise!)

Raven - Well done on the treadmill, and the ongoing weight loss - way to go girl...1.5lbs isn't a lot if your good! NO wine for you then?! I was good again last night, no wine, sensible tea, no supper plenty of water. I was a good girl and the scales showed it this morning, i had to do best out of three to believe what they said...back to 125lbs YIPPEE!!! another 7lbs and i've hit my ideal weight!!! all i have to do is keep it there then!!!
I'll be still saying this when were on to SAA #200 !!

Hey - I have just scrolled down and seen loads of posts from the weekend that i haven't seen??? My puter again??? I havne't recieved any emails about them...I'll do take a read and will be back! bye!
Old 02-24-2004, 10:12 AM   #39  

Morning everyone! Sorry about missing yesterday! It was a busy day. No job hunting. Mondays have become my "Caregiver Day" Mondays I usually do stuff for my elderly neighbor across the street. Now that I am home all day, I do more things with him. I took him for his blood work, then I went to his Qi Gong(Tai Chi) class with him,which is put on by our local Cancer Care center. Then I helped him around his house. THen I cleaned my own house. Had a nap. Got up, went and picked up BF for supper. After that, came home, went to neighbor's again to make sure he ate his supper, and got a waltzing lesson from him. Then came home, did more housework...had a bath then went to bed....I know it don't sound like alot, but that Qi Gong class was quite the work out...Don't ever think that Tai Chi does not give you a work out...IT DOES!!lol

Poor Grassie! I know how you feel...I get those days too where I drop everything!!! And it makes you wonder what karma wheel you set off balance!Lol I hope you feel better soon, I know all about broken toes...you go to the doc's and they say, "Well, it's broken. There's Nothing we can do but tape it up!" At least you have some time off to let it heal. ANd the Pilates sounds like a good athome work out!

Raven Congrats!!!! You'll have made your goal!! Now what's a Stealth Goal? This sound interesting. That would put you at 6lbs down. Is this like a little Surprise Goal...like bonus points? I like that idea very much! I finally finished Dr. Phil's book. ANd he says to set Managable Attainable goals. I learned in a management course about Smart Goals...Seeable, Maintainable, Attainable, Realistic, and now I can't remember what the T was!Lol I'll look it up and post it on here later this week.

YAYYYY FOR TULIP!!!!!1 back to her 125....it's gotta be nearly ohhhh 20years since I've been 125. but then again....20 years ago I was only 5'6. I'm 5'10now...yes late growth spurt...And only 6lbs away from your goal, Tulip!! AWESOME....As for your puter...hmmmmmmm I think it's haunted!!!lol
Old 02-24-2004, 11:45 AM   #40  
Student of the Hoof

Morning folks!

Tulip - I love leftovers! I usually cook enough dinner so that I can take healthy lunches to work at least twice. My BF won't do it, though.. not sure why. He prefers to eat fast food. tsk tsk Nope, no wine for me!! I don't even keep it in the house right now because especially after a rough day at work, it's SOOooooo tempting to just have ONE glass?? *sigh* Which always leads to two, you know. And that almost always leads to bread dipped in olive oil with spices... Congrats on getting back to 125!! My word... I think the last time I weighed that I was about 11 years old. I doubt I could pull it off now even.. I'd look starved, my bones are too big for that. 135, I think I can do. Only 7 more pounds for you.. that's fantastic!!

HS - How incredibly nice of you to do all that for a neighbor. That kind of gets me all sniffly because I know my dad had a really hard time there for a while before his accident.. ah well. He's in an assisted living home now, and even though he misses living in his own house, I think he's happier with people around him all the time. Stealth goals.. Ok ... I had this problem with setting myself up for failure with unreasonable goals. Over a period of time I noticed that 5 pounds a month seemed to be very reasonable and attainable to me, so this year when I started again, I knew I had 60 pounds to lose and at 5 pounds per month, I could do it in one year. But.. there is always a number of pounds I'd really LIKE to lose. Like this month, my 5 pound goal would put me at 186, but I'd really LIKE to be at 185. Oddly enough, my stealth goal this month originally was 183, because that's the weight I remember seeing as the scales were going up when I was going to go out to meet a couple with my BF... I was horrified. Anyway, but I changed it because of a goal of another person in a different thread... So... it's just a weight that I'd be reallllly tickled to reach, but if I don't, it's not the end of the world. Boy, that was long winded, wasn't it.

Goals.. I have to say that the scale goals are not as important to me as they used to be. Since I really can't control the numbers. I can control what I put in my mouth, I can control my working out, I can control how much water I drink, etc. So even when the scale is being stupid, I look at what I CAN control, and I know logically that if I just keep doing what I need to do, the scale will eventually change. There is no way it can't.

I picked up headphones on the way home from work yesterday, and today's treadmill workout was better. I dropped my time for 2 miles down to 28:30. Once I hit 25 minutes, I'm going to add a half mile, and then start pushing to do that in 30 minutes. I really hope it's not raining tonight, my son and I have riding lessons... but it's getting colder, and I can't do the cold AND the rain. One or the other, but not both! If I don't ride, I really need to do a LB weights session for my quads and butt.

Hope everyone is having a good week so far!
Old 02-24-2004, 05:25 PM   #41  
Confirmed Scales Addict

Hiya I'm back...it's nearly bed time but thought i'd pop in and post!! I read all the posts i missed...Sorry Splashes, thought'd you'd gone AWOL again as i hadn't seen any of your posts...Don't know what's wrong with my puter!! Hey your a darn nice person giving all that time to your neighbour! well done your an

Elisha - I'll repeat what the others have said...you'll get loads of support on this thread, which may help to back you up at home...it is horrible when there's no support at home...My hubby is now sharing my WOE and it's much better, i've maintained my wieght loss for ages now (bar the odd fall! ) but at 125lbs i'm not as harsh with myself as i was at the begining! But found it difficult to gain support at home too. I am very short with a very small frame and have never before had a weight problem..i had 3 children in 6 years and gained a little bit with each other them, but wasn't that much over weight, after i had my third i developed a wheat intolerance which made me pile on the pounds as well as other symptoms(!) I felt really ill, and unhappy with the extra pounds that i wasn't used carrying...it got to the stage where my joints were aching under the extra weight..my top weight was 139lbs which doesn't sound very heavy but on my frame it is. Friends and especially family told me not to worry about it..soem friends even thought it great that i wasn't skinny any more...bout time too was one comment!! My mum said that it ws the middle age spread starting it has happened to her and she is still fighting it now!!!! She was almost pleased that i was becoming her size??!! I was determined no nip it in the bud before i became to difficult to shift...not saying it has been easy!! I invited friends for dinner at my house and fed them what i could eat rather than the other way around, i always had soemthing in my bag that i could eat so if i ws offered soemthing i wasn't allowed i fell back on what was in my bag...as long as your eating there tend to leave you alone!!
Oh boy i'm rambling again!!

Leanne - glad your puter is better (well better than mine anyway!! lol) and well done on your healthy eating and weight loss...hope the sickness has gone?!

Raven - The idea of great BJ's to get a job!! I'll keep that in mind at my next interview!!

Grassie - glad you got your dodgy customer sorted...sounds scary...glad you didn't have to put up with him!

It's getting late now and i've rambled on for long enough!!! See you all tomorrow
Old 02-24-2004, 11:13 PM   #42  

Hi guys! TF glad you got caught up to date. Shame on you for giving Neighbor Nurturing HS such a hard time HS - that really is a sweet thing you're doing for your neighbors. I've tried to do nice stuff with mine here but none of my imediate ones are social AT ALL! I can jump the fence in my backyard and hang out with the ones on that street - they're all great! Good Cooks too!!

Doggy's ear ache is getting better. He HATES the drops I have to use but overall he's much improved. Loves his new low fat food - first dog food I've given him that he loves to eat! That's a relief!

School just got interesting. No more creepy guys. Just one hostile, disrespectful student that won't stop running her mouth (no, it's not me). I'm about one day short of telling her she's a total B*#!ch and not to touch me again untils he can straighten her a$$ out! (we are massage students after all - lots of touching involved). I think she was rude to every single student in the class tonight. At least she's giving out equal treatment. At what age do you grow out of the need to "act up?"

Well I have to get some sleep. Another exam tomorrow. Need to get some rest and study early tomorrow am. Talk to you guys soon! Meri
Old 02-25-2004, 10:55 AM   #43  

Good luck on the exam Grassie! Ok folks..here's a long one...and I would like input as I'm nearing the end of my rope with one of my best friends. When Tulip mentioned her being small and people happy when she wasn't skinny anymore, it brought up thoughts of my friend when we went out last nite.

Karen is 4'10 and 175lbs. She has a sister who is 5'9 and 120. Her sister constantly calls her a 'Fat piece of S**t', says she'll never find a husband because she's so fat, and other such wonderful things. At the same time says,"Oh karen, please lose weight, I don't want you to die. I'll be left all alone." and while saying the "yes lose weight" she brings over baked goods for karen.

SOoooo..Karen read Dr. Phil....says, I'm serious this time. Her Dr. also told her she HAS to lose weight. Puts her on a special eating program (which she doesn't follow), and she will not exercise.

SOooo last night we went out windowshopping, she tells me she wants to get down to 100lbs. I told her that it was not a reasonable goal because she is 43 years old and has NEVER weighed that since she's been about 18. Her dr. said 110 - 120 would be perfect for her. She watches Extreme Makeover and says...I'm going to follow that program. (3 members lost over 50lbs a piece in 6 weeks.) Now she thinks she's going to get the same results by walking on a treadmill 1/2 hour a day, no weights, no serious eating plan.

I said what about the severe diet they were put on...she says..well I'll do it some of the times...So i got sooo mad/upset...that i said..."Karen, get real. Finish reading Dr. Phil's book. ALL of it...and realize what category you have to put you and your sister in. Sis is a severe sabotager..she doesn't want you to lose weight..then she can't demean you anymore. You refuse to do as your own family doctor says...you REALLY don't want to lose the weight."

So she just laughs and says...that's not true..pat says those nasty things because she loves me. I drove her straight home.

What do I do?

Hope everyone has a good Hump day!!! Sorry to vent....
Old 02-25-2004, 11:28 AM   #44  
Student of the Hoof

Walk away? Hon.. you're absolutely right. But until Ms. Denial is ready to face the facts, nothing is going to change. You can't change her, she's the only one who can change her. It's frustrating, I know. I had to walk away from another friend because she was in severe denial about several things going on in her life, and I couldn't handle her constant crying about things she wouldn't face.

The alternateve would be to stay her friend, but tell her simply that subject is off limits till she wants to address it realistically. You don't want to hear about her family, her diets, anything, until she's actually willing to face it head on.

Like I said in my comments to your journal entry, I don't mean to sound superior. I've been where your friend is, and it took me a long time to take off the blinders. I feel sorry for her, but again... your hands are tied until she's ready to listen.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:10 PM   #45  
Confirmed Scales Addict

Good luck with the exam Grassie!
Splashes - i've got a freind a bit like that, we are still friends but we don't talk diets anymore...I encourage her when she is in her determined mood, and praise the **** out of her when she's sensibly loosing the pounds but make a real effort to turn a blind eye when she's freaking out about getting off the wagon or doing it with unattainable goals...I ignore her until she stops talking, it's a bit of a joke now but i just tell her to get on and do it and stop talking about it!!! She's a lovely girl but has little self confidence which she would have if only she'd loose soem of those excess pounds!!!!! it a vicious circle!Lets hope your freind finishes the book and sees some sense...as for her sister maybe she needs to visit the doctor and get some advice off him on how to suppport her sister?!