Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 10:03 AM   #61  

Happy Monday! So far so good - it is actually better during regular weeks for me with daycare because everyone is more settled. Next week will be hectic because most people are only here 3 days because of holiday and everyone will be overtired! Then a normal week, then vacation again Yahoo!!

I hear you on the social eating Shorty & Juno! Summer comes and I am more social outside eating stuff (translate chips, hotdogs!) but hey that is part of the fun. We were at a party yesterday and I don't think much but the veggies were really part of a balanced diet. However I ate good before going. I feel much better this week and less puffy and bloated. I needed to cut back on the Diet Coke because since I went to IL many weeks ago I have been drinking way too much! Plus the social beers on the weekend weren't helping either. However I scaled it all back and just a week later I feel better. A few more tweeks here and there as Juno puts it - will make me feel whole again.

Now I could use a 3-4 day retreat in Portland!!! Let me know if you go Juno because I can get there easier than Alaska. I could come to Alaska by myself but the whole family would be mad. No one would freak out over Portland because that is on my To Visit list but not on anyone elses. I have family in Seattle and a friend in N. Calif who would probably be able to sneak away too - I could visit and meet a whole bunch of people in Portland! Spa day, fun day, and fulfill longlost friend visits!

Don't anybody think I am not getting me time - I have found that the boys usually will go off and do things now so I have plenty of veg time to read magazines, write letters, socialize on my deck etc..... I really haven't had a problem for the past two years getting my time. I run into a problem during the school year with all the obligations that I have created for myself plus their sporting events but I also don't have to go to all their events - I just choose to.

I did e-mail Abs but haven't heard anything back. I will be a nag again and try later this week.

I think watching the trials leading up to the Olympics gets me in the fitness mood. I can't wait for them to start. One of the great things about working out of home is that I do rarely have the tv on during the day BUT I did during the last Olympics and had a fun time having the kids root for the athletes.

Okay we have a bit of chaos going now........must go intervene. Let's all have a great week!!

Steph
Old 07-07-2004, 02:52 AM   #62  

Hi, everyone!

So, what can I say. It was hard to eat the way I wanted to over the weekend, as I was visited family. But I still did pretty well. Lots of fresh fruit and not a lot of snacking. So there was some wine. And some chocolote chip cookies. Other than that, it was okay.

What I'm REALLY having trouble with is exercise. People keep saying that there is always time. Where? I really want to know! All I'm able to do is squeeze in some sit ups and push ups here and there. I really hope the girl is able to sleep through the night soon so I can get up and run in the AM again. I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to run in that race.

You all are moms. HOW DO YOU DO IT WHEN YOU WORK AND THE BABY STILL NURSES AND WAKES UP 3 TIMES A NIGHT? I really, really want to know.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:14 AM   #63  

Hey Shorty--

With my oldest girl I got back in shape by taking her out in the stroller just about every day. Lived on Capital Hill in Seattle and would hit the hilly route up to 15th street and Volunteer Park, and that went pretty well. Also did the Firm tape a few times, but the walking was what did it.

Second girl, by contrast was born in winter in Juneau and we had no $$ for health club membership at the time. And I had a toddler then so it was much harder. Eventually I found a step class or some such at a church and did that, and I did the walks with stroller/backpack thing for a long time. I did not have the time or the $$ to get away for quality workouts and just had to be patient.

Walking fast and pushing a stroller up a hill is cardio deluxe. I would also take LONG stroller jaunts, once I got her nap/timing strategy in place - like going all the way from Capital Hill down to the Market for example. That's a couple of hours. My girl would do it if part of the deal was she napped in the stroller.

That girl just turned 14 yesterday I feel compelled to point out.

Be patient and good to yourself, and also be real about what you are really eating and what small chances you have to exercise. Do you have a jump rope? Do you have a bike? Can you get one of those little bike trailers? Those are really big up here (but we never had one - $$). You are determined Shorty, you can do this!

And the older little one gets, the more your DH can take his rightful turn and you will be able to work out more conventionally in no time.

Life nuts for me, and I can't post long alas. Some food lapses for the holiday, but today a splendid couscous salad is made and I'm back to better. I'm sick of lapses and am considering giving them up. What do they do for me anyway? And for what? Chewing on garbage?

Anyway, Steph I hope you are well, Abs please please please check in.

My brother in law arrives tomorrow, then my mother- and father in law on Friday, then I have college friends arriving 2 days after they leave for 2 concurrent weekends. I may be scarce but you never know...

Juno
Old 07-07-2004, 09:46 AM   #64  

Oh the fun of dealing with having a baby, being tired and trying to exercise!! I can remember it like it was yesterday and my baby is 6 1/2!!! I will say that the simplest things are the easiest just like Juno said......walk, walk, push the stroller, walk, just get in little things while you can. I remember M crawling all over me while I was trying to use my little 2 & 3 pounds weights....As for sleep - that will come soon so hang in there. I remember just walking around in a daze because of lack of sleep and getting up several times a night. I am so happy to sleep now and never appreciated the process until after having kids!!

Juno - we are on the same wavelength regarding the lapses. I was just being kind of okay with food but over the holiday weekend had many lapses. I was just feeling ill Monday night after having gone to the movies (nachos) and then out to appetizer lunch with a girlfriend and wondered what pleasure I got from eating the junk when I couldn't even look at anything that night because I was so full in a bad way!! So yesterday was a major water, natural foods and kind of unpoison my system. I feel so much better and calmer today and am not going to make such bad choices. Tonight we are supposed to eat out while doing chores and I am going to tell DH we are eating before we go.

I ran yesterday for 30 minutes and that felt really good. I think the plan for the summer is working out every other day but on those days I need to do 1/2 hour of yoga/weights during the daytime and then at night a real hard run or TaeBo workout. Walking and riding my bike are just on off days because they aren't what my body needs right now. I am sore but prouder today of how I feel.

We have C coming in next week and then a house full of relatives a little bit after that so we will be busy here too on the company front. I found out my parents are coming in Sept. We are the hosts this year vs. us always camping out at others houses! I do have to make one trip because I have a SIL that is due in the fall and we will have to venture out and take a peep when that child is born. Otherwise I am homebound and enjoying it!

Only 3 working days this week, then a full week and then vacation. I am counting hours again - sad!!

Steph
Old 07-08-2004, 02:18 PM   #65  

Default Let's say No More Mr. Nice Guy to the next 5 lbs on our lists...

Life is insane, my friends. I found this "lecture" on the web and though some might find it tough and offensive (no sympathy from this guy) I felt inspired by his no-BS manner - so instead of a post I present to you a link:

http://www.intense-workout.com/lose_weight.html

Carry on! I have company galore, more coming, and I'm ready!

Juno
Old 07-15-2004, 10:18 AM   #66  

I tried to get on and post a few times but got distracted. The kids are all playing nicely so I am typing quickly before it all ends. I was kind of laughing when I read the lecture because I know it is all true but still you want to interfect your own voice and say "ah but life gets in the way of all that real thinking". We all want the magic pill but we all know what the real answer is. I have a friend who is trying Xenadrine and she sat and complained about my weight vs. hers and I looked at her and said "well I gave you a treadmill and a bike carrier but you never use them.....that is where the first difference is".

Yesterday I pushed my poor little legs to the limit. I did 30 minutes of pilates/yoga during the day, rode my bike at a very steady pace for 25 minutes, mowed 1/2 the lawn (taught one of the boys how to mow the back!!), and walked the dogs. Figured that might make up for the Taco Bell I had the night before. Today is my off exercise day.

I think I am pretty good at the food choices and am learning that if I do want something stupid then just eat a small portion. I actually have been craving Krispy Kreme donuts for a couple weeks and with my whole family in the car (they chose a candy treat we had just bought at the store) I went through the drivethrough and just bought one original donut I felt stupid ordering one but it was just enough to get the taste out of my head. Ate it and moved on. I usually order 3 items at Taco Bell and instead, cut it down to two. Another little change that might help is that I tend to only drink D. Coke and if they have P products then I drink Sierra Mist. I don't love the taste of D. Pepsi but that is now what I MUST drink if I can't deal with water. I am hoping that these tiny changes add up to some calorie cutbacks over the rest of the summer. I am not going to try to change too much until after school starts.

My schedule gets crazy again soon! C comes here today for 2 weeks, company coming in next week for 1/2 of our vacation, then I have to functions I am part of the hosting and then school & hockey will start. Bye By free time!!

I got on the scale last night and was really puzzled. Numbers are high for me but I don't feel that big. Clothes aren't tight etc... so I am wondering if I really did get some heavier muscle from the harder cardio the past few weeks. I am sure it isn't true but it's fun to pretend!!!!

Still semi soap-operaish around here. Fighting over DH's mom's will, my S & her BF still have a huge threat on their lives (and no it isn't war), and one of C's classmates (not a good friend but someone she knew) was brutally murdered yesterday in their town. I try so hard to think the world is good.....but gosh what is wrong with people!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steph
Old 11-09-2004, 12:55 AM   #67  

hello 5%-ers!

Oh, I have felt so guilty. I got all into this board again last summer then abandoned it as soon as I got started. It's been a rough couple of months. With turnover at my company, a creative director who has been working against me instead supporting me, a cranky person who believes I shouldn't be rewarded for all my hard work (have to be vague about that one), and then just trying to be a good mom, these past months have really taken their toll.

One reason I also stopped coming here and whining about my weight is because, well, it all came off. Sometime about 9 months PP they baby really took up solids and dropped a few nursings, I got my cycles back and the last ten pounds just came off. It happend almost overnight. In fact, I think I'm smaller in some ways than I was before I got pregnant (except for my super stretched out tummy! ). Nursing rocks! I'm still at it, as much as I can. The full-time pumping really doesn't work as well as the baby so I can't keep my supply up to meet her demand so she gets supplemented, but she shows no signs of weaning. I get some eye rolls and pressure from people to cut her off, but I really don't need that kind of tension with my child right now. BTW, she's 13 months old now, walking everywhere, bossy, strong-willed and completely charming. No matter where we go she walks up to strangers and says, "Hi!!" It's always interesting to see what people do.

My anxiety has been at an all-time high and exercise would really do me some good. My only hope is to get some on the weekends. Everyone always says yoga calms you, but what I really need is a 30 minute run!

Anyway, I guess I don't have anything inspiring or positive to contribute! Sorry! I hope you're all doing well, that all the kids in school are doing well, and that life is good! Hopefully, mine will reach some equilibrium soon. Take care!
Old 11-12-2004, 04:23 AM   #68  

Hi Shorty and hi everyone. I guess we have graduated in the 5% club! Successful to the point that much of what we learned and supported together are now internal and the habits and awareness more or less ingrained.

Great work on the return of your prepregnancy figure Shorty. You are SO right, exercise is a great stress reliever. Remember snippets of 10 minutes at a time also count. Might be easier to squeeze in with your little one.

For me, we had a fabulous summer, great weather, and we had tons of company. It is no wonder my posting fell away, time is more more and more premium. Did a lot of hiking and walking and found it to be the best exercise I could do - just could not bear going into the club with fabulous weather. Now that fall/winter is here, I'm making it in as I can and walking when I like the weather, etc. Food seems to be really pretty well and my weight has been great. 5 lbs less would make my clothes hang nicer, but health and happiness are fine right here.

Steph I miss you, and I almost always have my AIM on. My buddy name is Junobeth all you 5%ers.

Back to work!

Juno
Old 12-07-2004, 09:11 AM   #69  

JUNO! STEPH, SHORTY and everyone!

Hello Hello.... Major hard drive crash this summer and decided to buy a new computer rather than to throw money at an out of date 98 machine. Of course that took months and with the busy summer, I really didn't miss it too much. I am back now and do say that I missed you all!!! I was really psyched to see a fairly recent post....

The weight - maintaining... I STILL have the 40 or so pounds to lose and I intend to get more serious about it. Intend.... I really don't like that attitude. As far as the exercise is concerned. I am still going to the Y at least 3x week. I was also biking every weekend until recently when the weather broke. Biking is an expensive hobby. You really need the right gear to ride through the winter - shoe covers, winter tights, gloves, headgear... which, unfortunately is not on my list of 'must haves' right now. My last ride on the cheap was a VERY cold experience --- lots of lessons learned.

I had a rebate from the insurance co. for our gym membership, so I decided to spend it on a series of personal training. I wanted to change up my workouts and really have someone correct my form. I had my first real workout last Friday and I am still sore today. In fact, I don't think I have ever had this kind of GOOD soreness ever!! Lots of squats and multi-muscle moves (cardio + weights) a la body pump with real individual attention. I really focused and pushed myself. It felt good and even though I am sore, I have still managed to get to the gym for cardio. Today I will get back to some light weights and Thursday will be another punishing session. I'm looking forward to it.

Hopefully, the new workouts will help spur me to make better choices with my food.

Steph, Juno, Shorty ---- Hope your Thanksgiving was nice and look forward to hearing your plans for the rest of the holidays! How are you keeping 5%????

Ciao
Absmom
Old 12-14-2004, 03:37 AM   #70  

Hi Abs! This thread has been seriously MIA. Never fear, still keeping the faith. What has been curtailed is any spare time to do a lot of online posting. I have another very busy client and between work, my hobby job, my kids and the house I don't seem to have the time to devote to the Internet as much. But it seems that we always end up touching base from time to time and that is great. Someday soon I'll start a "new" thread of the 5% club and have a go at posting!

I'm doing well. I'm eating great right now. I noted my pants were getting a little tighter so I got right on it. Since time is of the essence, I've asked myself: What has worked best in the past? Trying to repeat successes. I'm hooked on chopped salads with turkey and feta in them, with the protein very little dressing is required. I'm also hooked on refried beans.

I too have had computer woes. I had a hard drive crash in my brand new 6 week old Dell. I could NOT believe it! What a catastrophe. I lost all my work database - poof.

This week is nuts and the workouts are suffering becuase of it. I got the wild idea to MAKE things for my inlaws this year. I'm finishing up a quilt for DH's nephew then a table runner for SIL will round out my offerings. But I'm sewing like a nut and the house looks neglected!

Happy holidays all. How are you all doing?

Juno
Old 12-25-2004, 12:28 PM   #71  

Merry Christmas!!!!! I have been so lame about getting on the internet for anything other than e-mails or checking my bank account. I am only on for the holiday since I got a brand new laptop for Christmas! My husband was kind and downloaded all my favorite and all the files beforehand. The funny thing is I had lost the link to 3FC back in the summer when I had a horrible hard drive crash here also and for some reason it never made it back onto the screen! I am sure I won't post as much as I used to but I hated being totally out of touch!!!

Hopefully we can all start off the New Year with a big bang towards healthy resolutions. I think we are all doing great but it doesn't hurt to have an extra push! I didn't invest in a personal trainer but I did buy the XBox Yourself Fitness which has really been great in the strength training and overall fitness. I still love to run on my treadmill but I am much stronger thanks to the XBox. See Video Games can be good for something

We had a lot of company since June so we are still recoving from all the visits and people in our house. It is the first year that everyone kept coming here. A bit overwhelming but now I know how my mom feels when we converge on her house all the time. Looking forward to a calmer January! But I do have two boys in hockey so there is no downtime until March (yikes!)

I need to go and figure out what else needs to be done today. Sad that I also have to squeeze in laundry today. I have off until Tuesday but the ToDo list never rests.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND HERE IS TO A HEALTHY 2005!

Steph
Old 02-13-2005, 07:38 AM   #72  

Default 5%-ers!!! Come one come all!

Happy Winter! In my serious hibernation mode.... My kids and I have been sick every other day since before Christmas!!! Its terribly depressing.... I am finally feeling better after a 2-week bout with bronchitis... It's zapped my energy, but not my drive... Faith that SPRING will come.... Faith that we can get through a week with out a co-pay!

I am still gyming it and have added WW to the mix. My insurance pays for 12 weeks, so it was really a no brainer.... So far (since Jan) Ive lost 8.6 lbs. Not a startling amount, but it does include all that I gained over xmas and then some.... I've started training for my 3rd Triathlon and this year I will do it as a much more in shape person (read "THINNER")... I am really trying to focus on form (bike and swim) and transitions. My sisters and I have vowed to do Danskin until we die. It's a great motivator and a good excuse to see my sibs. It makes exercising much more of a fun event than a chore...

SAB, Juno, Shorty.... Are you out there?????

It would be nice to hear from you! Hope your 2005 is going well! Happy V-day! and check in, won't you??

Ciao, Absmom!
Old 06-08-2005, 03:28 AM   #73  

Hi All! Yes it is Juno here - I miss everyone! I'd love to catch up. Please feel free to email me at my new email .

I have long loved the forums here at 3FC but the popups are too much for me to cope with. I'd like to propose that we get an interactive blog going or something that doesn't tax and bypass my popup blocker and send my adware software into a tizzy. I'm in very high fitness mode and miss my buddies.

Juno
Closed Thread