Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 07:24 PM   #46  

I guess I have no choice but to miss the black hole of the computer since I can't seem to find time for anything I don't know why I think that I can look at the calendar and see a slow time ahead.......it can be empty and then it just fills up so fast. This weekend was supposed to be the end of hectic but that is a big joke!!! We had a big party here at our house this weekend, hockey has now ended for two months, but Memorial Day is coming up with stuff, the weekend after that I have to go to IL to pick up C and see the grandparents...I am sitting here now with a very junk-fooded out belly from this weekend and see no purpose to the day.

Food - horrible
Exercise - not so great last week but I can feel tomorrow will be the start of a good schedule
Mom Time = non-existent so I need to work on that. Especially because summer is almost here which means louder noises, more kids to keep happy BUT also there is vacation!!!

Okay that is all I have time to type today but will need to peek on here for motivation. This is pathetic but I am going to make popcorn and go sit on my butt (must end my junk-filled, beerdrinking weekend on a real healthy note!!!!"

Craziness!!

Steph
Old 06-01-2004, 01:33 PM   #47  

Hello Juno, Steph, -lurkers-,

Took a little break while the weather was good. The garden is almost planted; I still have the smallest pile of mulch left to move and of course there is always mowing to do, but alas it is raining so I am stuck inside. This is DD1's next to last week of school and then I will be crazy trying to occupy the days with "FUN" things...
hope to be able to post more regularly once I get into my new summer schedule.

South Beach went ....well.... South. It just didn't mesh with my life. I am sure that it screams my addiction to carbs loud and clear, but I am really not in a "place" to give them up. It just isn't realistic. All moms know that Cheerios are supposed to be in your purse/diaper bag, etc. at all times and not snacking on them while you feed your kids is next to impossible.

SO - I am basically watching what i eat and exercising... Full training mode for the triathlon and I am getting my new bike this week. My sisters got new ones a month ago and I have had a hard time keeping up with them so they talked me into it... We had an awesome (but painful) ride last saturday. 27 miles --- my butt was SO sore! But I am happy with my effort. I am swimming once a week and running with sister wednesday nights - usually 4 miles. I am not losing weight - I know I am eating too much, but I feel strong and hope the motivation to keep my mouth shut will come soon...

At least I am not gaining.

How's the strength training coming Juno? Have you been making time for yourself at the club? I hope YOU are a priority.

Steph - How did your memorial day weekend go? Are you now ready for summer? Hope to see you both ck in soon... DD 2 is up from her TOO SHORT nap!

Gotta go!!
Absmom
Old 06-02-2004, 03:38 PM   #48  

I hear ya on the South Beach diet Abs....my girlfriend wanted me to do it with her starting this week and I just said that I am not going to even set myself up for that kind of failure!! I can not follow that no matter how hard I try. I am going out of town this weekend which means a lot of eating out (but in a behaved manner) and then I am on vacation a week after that......I have been making smarter choices and that is about all I can promise at this point!

Summer is almost here which means great hectic times at this house. I only have like 3 days with all the kids and then I am on vacation - darn!

Exercise is pretty good. I put in 30-50 minutes about 5 times per week but that does include mowing the lawn which is over an hour of pushing and sweating. I wish I had more time to do the yoga and pilates but that seems to be at the end behind the cardio.....seems like if I cut on cardio then it all slows down!

Abs- excellent on the runs and the rides!! Those are great distances and you have really stuck to it!!

Juno - Check in soon before summer has invaded your home (or has it already???)

Keep being strong ladies!

Steph
Old 06-04-2004, 06:18 PM   #49  

Hi friends.

Crazy times! And exercise-thwarting, too.

The last day of school here was Wednesday. We went to 2 graduations, little D from elementary school and big D from middle school. Next year we have a sixth grader and a freshman. That really really does not seem possible. Abs I feel like I was just pulling the Cheerios out of MY diaper bag!

On Monday, our kitty died here with us after a long decline, which I think I have written about here a little bit. She really needed to go, but I was unprepared at how sad I would feel. Today feels a little better. We have her with us in our yard and planted a lilac over her (the girls' idea) and as all pet lovers know this is where you have to stop and grieve. We had her for 15 years.

Between the kitty care, various end of school year events, and lots of extra work, my life has been sedentary, and I can't tell you how fast I tend to 'feel' it being bad to my body. Did get a couple of hikes in with DH, but not enough. 2 nights ago I just invoked the 20 minute rule, make that 30 minutes - hey I have to do that much, in a walk or at the club, just to feel human. I do feel a bit more energized since that, and I'm going to continue.

Food? Not too bad. I've had some snacky days, but those tend to be grazing days so caloriewise not such a disaster. If I plan at all I do pretty well. Fruit seems to be the keyword lately. Aren't the oranges great this year?

Still... I do really want to be on fire about it, remember when we were reading Make the Connection Steph? I'd love to be more slender but I know I'm doing pretty well, so I need something else to keep me compelled. I even ponder joining WW just to go to meetings and get that compettive yet supportive energy going - but then I think about how that costs $$ for what I already know how to do - and it just doesn't make sense. I just want to lose about 7 lbs and have it stick, that seems like it would be so simple.

What do you guys think about renaming our thread and trying to get some new members Steph and Abs? I adore you two but miss the spirit of discovery that new people provide. Lurkers? What is it about us that keeps you a-lurking and not joining in?

Well, it is off to the store to buy dirt and manure LOL. I am loving the gardening in the new house!

Later--

Juno

Last edited by FitandFine; 06-04-2004 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:21 AM   #50  

Default hello, women!

it is me, shorty. remember?

how long have i been away? ....i just checked--one year!

so the last time i posted i was 4 1/2 months pregnant. everything went wonderfully and i had a beautiful, healthy baby girl september 29th. easy labor, no drugs, easy recovery. she's now almost 9 months old and a total joy. she has two little teeth, she's crawling, she smiles all the time (except when she's not ) i'm still working, running my web design company, which has been interesting with a new baby. it's going well, but it's hard work.

so...where am i with food, weight, exercise, etc? well, not so good. i gained 40 pounds during the pregnancy but most of it came off. i'm still nursing on demand when i'm with her and pumping while i'm at work. but what this means is my appetite is really big. they say you need 2500 calories to produce enough milk. what this means is i'm not always making the best choices for food. i've really developed a taste for fatty chicken and ice cream.

exercise has been my biggest problem. i was so big when i was pregnant that walkign was a challenge. now, it's time. i still have my gym membership but no time to go. i used to run in the early morning, but now my early mornings are filled with pumping milk, getting the baby ready, getting myself ready and trying to get out of the house by 8:30. and that's when i get up at 6:15. ::sigh::

i wouldn't be so worried about it except that i'm sick of having to wear such big clothes. it's hard to find work appropriate clothing, that i like, and that covers these size 40 DD mama boobs! i used to have a really cute wardrobe. in fact, my husband even says that my maternity wardrobe was the cutest i've ever had!

but, it's summertime and i have to at least try. the weather is great, the days are long, and there's a lot of good, fresh food to eat. so, i'm starting with what worked for me last time, back in 1999 (OH MY GOD THAT WAS 5 YEARS AGO!!) when i first started in this group. lean protein, lots of veggies, no sugar. back then i worked at a place that basically fed us 3 squares, because we worked so much, and the choices were really healthy. i had a bagle and light cream cheese for breakfast, i ate a reasonable portion of some kind of lean meat and a big salad for lunch, and usually something similar for dinner. which was why it was so easy. someone else did all the cooking! it was easy on the budget, too!

i got a cheap, truncated version of The Zone by Dr. Sears. i re-read it tonight to get my mind back into looking at portions and the proportions of protein/carbs/fat. i didn't do this last time, but i figure if i just get into the habit of knowing what things look like in proportion to each other, i can do this without thinking. right now, i have to make due with whatever is in the kitchen and ease into this. he wants you to throw out anything bad, but i can't afford to do that now so i'm just going to slowly replace foods with better choices.

since you all are talking about Making the Connection again, maybe i'll pull that out, too, if i can find it. i remember it best for exercise inspiration. i'm going to start training for a 5K in september for Race for the Cure. my company is a sponsor so we are all doing it, although most of the team is walking. i just hired a new superstar sales chick adn she's a fantastic athlete and we're going to run together. somehow, i will find the time!

on a side note, i'm getting worried about dh. he's gained 20 lbs, all around his belly, in the last few years. he doesn't seem at all concerned about it. he whines, but does nothing. he's convinced he needs to eat this quasi-high protein diet, but then he loads sugar, bread and saturated fat onto it, too! don't know what he's thinking. as i get into this, i may try to make him a lunch when i make mine. we may save money that way, too.

so, given that's my method--Zone-style low-carb--any favorite recipes suitable for a working mom? i especially like ones that allow me to make large batches on a weekend and freeze.

as soon as i can, i'll read through this last thread. (juno, so sorry about your kitty. we lost our old, sick girl last year and i still look for her tucked behind pillows and under the couch.) can't wait to see what you've all been up to!

and so, that's my update. and chicas, i need you this time! REALLY need you! i pledge to post something here, anything, every day. what do you say?

<i do not believe i have ever used so many smilies. i got inspired!>
Old 06-22-2004, 03:00 AM   #51  

Default Happy Solstice!!!!!!

Hi to you too Shorty! How totally wonderful to hear fromn you. I would say you have come to a great place at a good time.

Congratulations on the new little one. Yes, it is quite a different thing to work out and do it all right when there is a baby to care for. Have heart - it passes and you do eventually get some time back. It also passes too quickly, so enjoy every little moment you can. My older D starts high school this year and I just blinked. She was just a baby yesterday, I swear.

I agree with you re going back to the roots. We all need to just take a second, think back and remember the things that worked best for us. Make the Connection, a no-frills guide to fitness, and now very off the A list - has a great basic outline and if you follow it you can't go wrong. As I have said before, your body does Not Have a Choice. I also have recently reconnected with a diet book that worked for me in the past, just for the structure and pep talks within. This book is not even in print anymore, but it works great. They all work except the total scams - we have to find what works for us and then...we have to do it!

Thanks also about my kitty. I still totally miss her. We did adopt a new young cat, and we are really enjoying an energetic kitten in the house. I don't have that bond yet that you get with a long-time pet, but she is just an amazingly great black cat - Shorty you probably remember the Copeland lumber yard logos with the black kitty cat on them, she reminds me of that kitty. She is sleek and shiny and has a very winning personality.

I'm busy clicking here in the Northland. I've been mostly walking and hiking like a fiend. We have had such amazingly great weather this year, one just has to be outside. I have been to the club a few times, mostly on the treadmill and in the weight room, and a couple of appearances at Body Pump, but the outside trails call me more at this point. We get enough rain and winter weather around here, time to be in the sun.

The other things I am focusing on is eating more fruit and really powering the green tea. I found a powdered green tea by "Tea Tech" at the the health food store that I just love, you can drink it hot or cold. That and turning up the duration of my exercise has me counting on some great results. Odd - my clothes fit me pretty well right now but I still feel like a bloated wreck. But even that is giving me incentive. Only 5 lbs makes a difference, let's all challenge ourselves for our next 5 lbs and get there. We can think past that when we get there. How are you going to do it?

Must take a break to pet the new kitty and then get to work. Steph and Abs I hope you are lurking and will check in soon. I keep saying I will start a new thread, and I really do intend to do that soon. Let me know what you would like me to expound upon from my lectern!

Happy Solstice everyone it's the longest day of the year!

Juno
Old 06-22-2004, 03:42 AM   #52  

hi! hi! hi!

so excited that you replied so quickly! really glad to hear from you. to you get down to pdx at all anymore?

speaking of getting back to what worked before...

i just ordered JANE FONDA'S WORKOUT CHALLENGE!! can you believe it? it's from 1984. i used it a lot in 1987 when i was 13 and a nanny for a baby (who is now 17 -- yikes!). i remember it is really hard and the amazon reviews says you have to work up to it, but i'm ready! i found it on ebay for $2. and it is honestly my first ebay purchase! go me!

ok. have to get to bed. all this manic enthusiasm for getting healthy again is going to kill me!
Old 06-22-2004, 02:20 PM   #53  

SHORTY!!!!!!!!! It is so great to see you posting!! Congrats on your new bundle of joy!! I can't believe that you have a 9 mos old girl!! Hey and perfect b-day!!! Two days after mine and right before Junos!!

I have to type quickly or I would go on and on Shorty about how good it is to have you around the boards! Absmom if I don't hear from you I will be trying e-mail shortly but don't want to be a nag! Juno - nice long post from you and I kept meaning to get on but you guys all know this time of year I have a houseful!

I had a beautiful week of vacation where I did nothing!! My mom visited for a few days but other than that it was 9 days of no alarm, no great plans......I am going to aim for a few more of those types of time off. I am always going and it felt good to hang on my deck, play in my yard, ride my bike, even the kids were having a good time! I can't believe my baby is in 1st grade and that C is going to be a senior....time does fly!! So I should learn to savour because I am not so great at that.

I was reading the post about 10 reasons we want to reach our goal and gosh did that strike a chord with me. I haven't replied to it yet but was planning on it. I have gotten so close to goal and then "poof" it slips away. I know I can do it but then I get wishy-washy and don't push. I can fit in a size 8 except bad days when the tummy roll which I swear just shrinks and grows overnight gets in the way of all zippers, waistbands.............my butt and legs don't grow but the tummy takes it all in. Time to fight it off and 5 pounds at a time is PERFECT.

Did I mention that I didn't even work out officially on my vacation - but I walked everywhere so that might count for something. I need to do my pilates and yoga tapes and quit my version of it.....I have a lot of plans formulating in my head. My girlfriend in on the South Beach but she is not enjoying success so she can't figure out where she is screwing up!

Shorty - I could have mailed you my JF tape - I swear it is still in one of my closets.

Absmom - Girl, hear us call????? Maybe you are too busy training!

Juno - I still consider you one of my fitness gurus I just finally put my kitty's picture in a frame I bought at Christmas when we lost our 14 year old pal.......I totally freaked out when the vet sent about 1 week after his death - his pawprint with this beautiful poem. It took me a moment to appreciate the paw print when I was like "oh they took his print when he died!!!!!!" I am glad the new kitty is still fun!! My one cat that is still here is so naughty and tries to jump on the keyboard if he sees I am typing. He actually gets me up for exercise in the am because he will not leave me alone after the alarm goes off. He is 10 and acts like he is 1!!

A whole list of things are waiting for me...............and the weather has been divine here too - makes me want to hurry and get outside!!

Steph
Old 06-23-2004, 02:42 AM   #54  

hi, sab! so great to see you all again.

hey! i got outbid on my JF tape! i had no idea i'd have any competition. so i upped my bid. sab, if you find your tape, let me know! and it has to be the 1984 Workout Challenge.

so today was really good with food. if i missed something it was not having a snack in the afternoon and i got hungry. like i said before, i'm not going to follow this Zone diet to a T, but i think it does make sense to not let yourself get too hungry. i tend to eat whatever is there if i get hungry. when i was pregnant and first nursing i would have a complete emotional meltdown if i got too hungry. so glad i'm not like that anymore!

so here's what i did today, more or less:

gluten-free waffle with three egg whites, quart of water with a little vitajuice

whole milk latte (should have made it 1%, i'll remember next time)

turkey patty and a organic bean burrito (this was really high carb, but i did my best to balance it out with protein. still this is what made me so hungry in the afternoon, i think)

couple handfuls of raw almonds throughout the day

1 oz cheddar and a V8

2 cups of unsweeted soy milk (ok...one had a spoonful of chocolate poweder)

and then dinner was so YUMMY! shared 2 chopped zucchinis, some red onion and a can of garbanzo beans with a little olive oil and a packet of pesto sauce powder. sauted it up and it was delicious. topped with some parmesan cheese.

so, i can do better with fruits and veggies. i have tons of oranges right now so i should add that to the morning meal.

when i got home i took care of a few household things then loaded up the girl into her stroller to go for a good walk. i got about 1/4 way through my old running route when she freaked. for no appearant reason. i stopped and sat on the curb to nurse her and she calmed down a little but when we started going again she started up the fit again. and it was a fit, let me tell you! so i just headed back home. dh took her for a while and i did some sit ups, did some arm exercises with my 5 lb freeweights (uh...i've had them for years and the labels wre still on them...jeez!). did some stretches and called it done.

so, a successful day, in the end. i'm going to drag out my old stationary bike (that's about 15 years old) so the girl can play in the tv room while i can bike. no more fits! i think she's teething again.

so you all have goals? i'll have to go back and read this again. i haven't even gone as far as making goals. maybe go out of the house without my control-top panties? oooh, i've got a mama belly now, let me tell you! really, i think that my goal is to just eat balanced meals and move a lot. oh, wait! i've got that 5K in sept! ok. goal is to finish. that's it.

take care, everyone!
Old 06-23-2004, 04:29 AM   #55  

Hey there Steph and Shorty - Great to see the energy flying around here. I hit the wall today after something like a 5-day run of exercising, including the last 3 days in a row of 2-3 hours of hiking each. Today: I took a nap. Working on not wandering aimlessly into the kitchen and emerging from the ether after eating something I didn't even want when I wasn't even hungry. Evidently this is a habit that I need to work on lifelong. But, if I focus on it and get real specific, like I'm not going to eat until breakfast, no snacking tonight, I can really do some miracles. Why are we so afraid of hunger? A friend told me once that hey, losing weight causes a little bit of discomfort. It goes away. So that is my mantra.

The zuke/garbanzo dish sounds wonderful! My family seems to be existing on impromptu quesadillas, nice because everyone can have what they want on them. I've not been cooking much, the kitchen is more the Graze Center. This can be good or bad. For me it is good, because my role of mom the cook often has me making and eating a meal that I am not hungry for, or when a bowl or soup or oatmeal would make me just as happy. We are barbecuing a bit too of course.

Anyway - I have a lot to do tomorrow, starting with finishing work, and then a lot with the basket biz (which I wish I could put off while the weather is good but I've done that so much that I have to make some time for it!) Walking is my thing these days and I will hike or take a long neighborhood hike.

Steph the vets here do that paw print thing too, I think my friends got like a plaster cast of their late doggy's paw. Tess passed away here and there was no vet involved. I did frame a photo of her though. Dang, those pets really get to us don't they. I'm honored to be your guru and hope to rise to the challenge for summer success.

Shorty my first D would sometimes inexplicably enter fussy land like that. Never with good timing. Sounds like you are being innovative so you can work while she hangs out - that way you can be together. Babies think you are just playing around with them when you exercise, it's great. I used the Firm tapes after my first daughter, probably one of the first ones they made. Janet Jones was the instructor. I wonder if I still have that video, since we are into Retro Fitness here at the 5% club. I bought Callanetics book and tape off ebay a couple of years ago. Go Retro.

Must work - Persevere!

Juno

Last edited by FitandFine; 06-23-2004 at 05:03 AM.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:16 AM   #56  

hello!

three days in a row! woohoo!

it's been a busy week at work. my senior project manager is changing careers and is going to go work in her church so i've been working to replace her. she's a superstar, is very responsible for where our company is now, and her church has been praying we find someone great. not only did we find someone qualified, we found someone who is going to invigorate our company with some much needed enthusiasm and energy. with this new woman, and our new biz dev manager who has been a longtime friend of mine and is a fabulous sales person, my company is going to be fun again. the work has been great, but i've had some culture problems that started with a bad hire a year ago. it's a big relief. it's no fun to work this hard if you don't like the people you're working with.

anyhoo...in the midst of all this food has been good again.

sticking with the waffle + protein (today it was peanut butter) in the AM
with a low-fat latte

turkey patty and berries for a snack. new sales person brought in the berries, i keep the turkey there. a little weird, but it worked. i really do need to find a lower fat option, though.

salad with tuna and turkey strips

berries and almonds

chicken stirfry

and my sin...hot chocolate. it's my downfall, but i drink it when i have to stay up and work late, which i have to do after i'm done here. proposal due in the am. that's another story i'll tell you about tomorrow. it's a battle of the design companies!

something i've suspected and i think i've confirmed it is that soy milk interferes with my b.milk production. i pump at work and my supply plummeted today after 2 c. of soy milk yesterday. i don't think i'll have enough to send to daycare tomorrow. so, that stuff is going down the drain. too bad, though. the unsweeted stuff tastes good and it's the perfect fat/prot/carb ratio. urgh.

i didn't get any exercise in today, but i'm not going to worry about it too much. i went out to dinner at the deli at our local healthy grocery store b/c dh is out of town and it's easier to let someone else do the cooking. they have a mongolian grill type deal where you go to a salad bar and fill a bowl with veggies then they put a sauce on it and add meat if you want it. it's a great dinner. anyway, i stayed longer b/c we met a family with a baby the same age as my girl. there are so many people in portland with babies born in the fall. i was going to have her at a waterbirth center but they were full! and after we were done in the delivery room in the hospital, we got kicked out b/c there were women waiting in the hall, and they had 12 delivery rooms!

anyway! because we stayed at the deli longer i didn't get a chance to do the stationary bike. tomorrow we're going to a bbq at a friend's house for the monthly street art fair, but maybe i'll get some walking in, or get on the bike after the girl goes down. i'll at least do some little strength training. i have to check in on my tape at ebay!

hope you're all well and healthy. how are we going to get some people to join up here? maybe by just keeping the thread on the landing page of the misc groups that will get people interested.

take care!!

-shorty
Old 06-25-2004, 10:08 AM   #57  

Ah Shorty - you might revive us by being a constant poster We are all a bit lax in that dept. lately.

DH & I have been a bit cranky at each other lately but other than that everything is fine. A lot of drama going on outside my family too which makes me tense......actually have to worry every day that my sister & her boyfriend of many years are okay. Their actual lives are in jeopardy and probably will be for quite a while and it kind of puts a damper on how nice your life is.......but can't write much more about it here.

My vow for the summer is.......exercise 4 x per week and try to make them high intensity but short in time. I want free time and to be able to enjoy the sunshine, the yard, and feel like it is summer. I am the lawn mower here too and still taking dog walks so I don't feel like I am not getting what I need. I think I just need to be tougher. I am thinking about going in to get my body fat ratio tested....that might be a wake up call for me. I think I've done good but ya never know!

My food does not read quite like yours Shorty - maybe I will be inspired. I do eat tons of fruit and veggies, but lately have had too much enriched white food things entering my digestive track. I think that is just nerves though and quick fixes when I am hungry.

Okay I have to go facepaint, get ready for the park, heat up lunch.....so much to do!!

Steph
Old 06-25-2004, 12:53 PM   #58  

A very quick hello before I get back to work.

Life is good. I did not post Wed night because I had done some food packaging math and thought I had eaten literally 3000 K for the day. This morning while lying in bed I revisited the issue and realized that the offending item (guacamole) I had only eaten a quarter of what I had calculated - still a hi cal treat but not the disaster I thought I had done. Geez! Yesterday was great though. I have been taking one hour-plus brisk walks and I can really feel my butt and the backs of my legs tighten up in a way different way from they way they do with weight training.

Shorty you are just so upbeat. You are going to see some great results here, just put in the groundwork. Re the hot chocolate - I think everyone needs a little bit of 'sin' - your diet sounds really good. I too love nuts and have been thrilled with how much they have learned lately about how good they are. They used to be a "diet no-no" (whatever that might mean) because of the fat content. You make P-land come alive and I want to visit there soon. My little brother has married and he and his wife are remodeling a victorian in one of the currently reviving neighborhoods there, and I just miss urban life. Even though I was born in and did some of my growing up in Portland, I lived more recently in Seattle (even if over a decade ago) and I adore that city as well. Imagine a 5% meet-up at a Portland or Seattle Spa.

Steph you are persevering fine. You have managed to build so much into your life that you didn't before, that you are more healthy without even noticing anymore. When the stress rolls back a bit and you feel like rolling up your sleeves a little bit you will make even more strides. Start THINKING about it and pushing for your future, it will become reality when you are ready. And make sure on the weekend you get some Steph time - maybe that day you can get a long walk for mind-sorting as opposed to the weekday power walks. The situation with your sister and her guy sounds majorly alarming. Are they in the military? Steph did you try to email abs? I miss her, but I don't have an e address for her.

The thing I am reminded of now, and it is good to review, is that this fitness and eating right thing is so much an article of faith. And, like most things worth believing in, one's faith will be rewarded. Your body at any time is the product of cumulative action or nonaction. That's it. Yes, the genetics are there, but everyone has their Best Body possible and if you want to get closer than that you have to (1) adjust the knobs a bit (more exercise? less calories? more rest? less fat? weight training?) and (2) have the faith that something that doesn't "show" right away (it seldom does except for water-loss situations) will "show" indeed when you have had enough cumulative effort.

It is all back to, your body doesn't have a choice! I have been exercising more than ever and I'm doing really well with the eating (in spite of the guacamole) and it is my true faith that by keeping this up in the coming weeks I will see the results. I already do, I'm just ready for the results to reach my a$$. And that's it! Not always easy, but very simple.

Now that I have given myself a pep talk here (and finished my breakfast, and made my tea), I have to get to work. Let's hope y'all have a great day of it and make this one that will COUNT on the positive side of our cumulative efforts.

Juno

Last edited by FitandFine; 06-25-2004 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:20 AM   #59  

Hello!

Steph, I agree with Juno about your sister. I'm worried for you. I understand that you can't reveal anything, but know that I'm saying a prayer that your family will be safe.

My baby is nine months old this week. She's so amazing--babbling up a storm, even shouting just to make sure we all heard her! She's crawling all over the place, standing up and cruising along the furniture, practicing walking. The only thing she still hasn't mastered is sitting from the standing position. For some reason it scares her.

Anyway, the reason I started with the baby, is that I think I'm finally "recovered" from pregnancy and childbirth. My natural energy rythyms seem to be back; in general, I have more energy. I think I'm sleeping deeper now, even though she still wakes 2x a night for feedings. My menstrual cycles still haven't returned, not that I'm complaining, but I expect they will soon since the baby isn't nursing quite as much. So now I feel really motivated to get back into shape. No more excuses about not being quite recovered and all that.

That said, instead of using the best judgement in my food choices these last few days, I've gone to parties! But I have to be easy on myself. It's been over 18 months since I've socialized with my work collegues around town and I got a chance to do that this week, twice. I even brought the girl, thinking I'd be the only one with a kid, when there were actually about 5 little ones under 2. This was the party crowd three years ago. I guess we've all grown up!

Still, except for the excess carbs in the form of chips, wine, and one little bite of a sweet, it wasn't awful. And I had a great time.

Exercise has been informal. Instead of driving downtown yesterday to purchase a gift I took the light rail and the babe in her stroller. Not exactly an intense workout, but still a better choice. Today we cleaned the office, which was again, not intense, but still constant movement for a few hours. I feel like I moved. I just have to add some yoga moves, sit ups and arm weights before I go to bed.

Juno, PM me about where your brother lives. It could be my neighborhood, or one close by! I live in an old house in a revitalizing district. I would love to have a meet up. Steph, where are you? I would vote for PDX, though, since the babe isn't up for big trips.

Speaking of...we're going to my dad's house in Eastern WA this weekend for the 4th. I'm kind of looking forward to it, but it just sounds exhausting when I think about it. I think we'll drive in the middle of the night so the girl can sleep. We drove back from Anacortez last month and it took us 10 hours, when it should have taken 6. Ugh. Many stops for nursing, comfort, feeding us and potty/diaper breaks. It wasn't awful, just looooong.

Steph, I so do not want to know what my fat % is right now. I might just shrivel up and die. I want to work on getting it down first, then, when I can see a difference I'll go get that along with my colesterol checked. I'm afraid I ate too much whole dairy in the last year. It was soo yummy when I was pregnant.

Ok. Must get back to work. Busy week coming up. Talk to you all soon! Take care!

-Shorty
Old 06-28-2004, 01:50 AM   #60  

Hey, there. What a weekend. We had some dear, dear friends show up who moved away 7 years ago - they now live in Maine. I knew they were supposed to show up this summer but did not know when. I guess the company season has begun! So, there has been some celebratory action and tonight a big barbecue with all the friends pertaining to these folks here to visit - lots of food and lots of fun. Alas between work and preparing for the party and etc., no workout for me. I'm chained to the work at the moment. This begins a very challenging month full of company, basket events, covering for other typists and child chauffeuring.

On the plus side I feel like the clothes and my sense of my size has gotten better. I'm not doing the scale particularly, though may jump on later this week. I'm trying to do better with water as a mini goal of the moment.

Shorty I need to get my brother's address and let you know where he lives. I seem to have misplaced it! (Bad sister!) It would be really fun to hook up when I'm next in P-land - I can't say when that would be at this point (house poor here) but obviously it will happen sooner or later. I usually stay with my GF out in Beaverton when I'm in town.

Steph I hope you got some time to yourself over the weekend. Send me energy to get through these next challenging weeks! The long walks are so great, I want to keep this going great.

Abs, Abs, wherever you are: Let us know how it is going!

Okay, let's start Monday and do it right!

Juno
Closed Thread