Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 07:58 AM   #31  
loves kleenex box art

that is mizteareious, Kiwi. DS got into the site here last night but also somebody I dont' know sent him instructions on how to get around and sneak in there. But he didn't need them. It came up on his laptop. He says it's updated so not gone gone.

It's raining here.

This is what I'm disturbed about. This sweet little man who wife recently died came into the paper with some old stuff that was interesting, kind of, so I wrote about it. A few days later, he says he's coming in with more old stuff. He comes in with old stuff AND two articles he's written about them. His byline is the biggest thing on these handwritten pages which are first drafts and which don't have any particular subject. I don't want him to have his feelings hurt and it bothers me. I told him to come talk to the editor about this in a few days. Sad. He's nice.

Bye.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:52 AM   #32  

Cowper, I have no advice to give on how to let the old guy down gently. We used to have a sweet old lady who would bring little glass objects into our shop to have various repairs done to them, like grinding down little sharp spots, etc. Now mind you, this is not what our company does, we would be broke if we paid journeymen glaziers to do that all day. Anywho, after we started doing these little favors for her we couldn't shake her. Eventually she got old enough to get her driver's license revoked so she couldn't get here. One thing about old folks, eventually the problem will take care of itself. As it will for all of us. gulp.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:53 AM   #33  

Oooo. I forgot to tell you all - a salesman brought Krispy Kreme donuts into the office this morning. News flash - - - these things are just donuts. I don't get what the big deal is.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:43 PM   #34  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
these things are just donuts
WHAT???? HOW DARE YOU SPEAK ILL OF MY LIFELONG LOVE?

Psst: Bagz, don't tell her which ones are the ones to die for -- she's better off not knowing.

Cowp, I don't think the little old man will keel over if you inform him that your paper doesn't have room for too many articles of this nature, or that a reporter generally has to do the reporting herself. Y'know, even if it's not true.

And I still can't get in that site. What's the trick?

Tomorrow I have to peel carrots for 3 hours. Doesn't that sound exciting? I signed up to help prepare a big turkey supper for the Performing Arts Boosters fundraiser. At least this way I won't feel bad about not showing up the next day to eat there

That is literally all I have to say for myself today.

Kiwi
Old 10-28-2003, 04:06 PM   #35  

Quote:
That is literally all I have to say for myself today.
Well that just won't do, come back here and keep me company!

I have the salsa making relative. I'll see if she can give me her recipe.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:02 PM   #36  
Member w/ messiest house

Default Funny....

Funny strange, not funny haha.........
When I don't seem to have anything to say, I often come back later and realize I have done a whole lot of stuff, possibly not worth mentioning, but a lot of stuff nevertheless. Today I ironed a bunch of shirts (? ), canned tomatoes (don't get too excited--I did 3 jars, but I did pressure can them), and made a really yummy stir-fried chicken and rice for dinner.

Now I'm stuffed.

I have a recipe for salsa that a friend gave me that is pretty yummy -- I don't know if you'd call it freezer salsa, but I put some of it in the freezer when I made it once . It had fresh cilantro in it, which gives it a very fresh and distinctive flavor. I'll be getting some more tomatoes ripening in the next week I think (they're indoors, but they're still going strong), so maybe I'll make some of that too. Could probably use a few green tomatoes in the mix as well; that would give it some oomph!

Here's what happened to my three jars of tomatoes: when I took them out of the pressure cooker, they looked half full of water, with the tomatoes at the top, and the water at the bottom. I never did tomatoes before, so I don't know if that's normal. I didn't add any water at all, it's all from the tomatoes. Looks pretty weird.

Lotta trouble to go through for 3 pints, isn't it? I don't care, I feel like I did something worthwhile anyway. And that's what's important isn't it? That I feel good about it

Ta I get to sleep late tomorrow -- DD's school did so badly on the state assessment tests that they have scheduled the freshman class for a weekly morning session of something or other, and the rest of the school doesn't have to show up until 8:25.

Here's how dumb her school admin is: they announced yesterday that the middle school would not be allowed to dress up for Halloween (the middle and high schools are in the same building, although run separately). No reason given. Today they announced that the highschool would not be allowed to dress up for Halloween because the middle school wasn't allowed to. One student went to the office and complained, and they changed their minds. Apparently just for the high school. Does any of that make any sense?

You must go to this page and look at this photo. It is beautiful.
Kiwi
Old 10-29-2003, 07:13 AM   #37  
loves kleenex box art

amazing picture. I was looking for elves.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:05 AM   #38  
loves kleenex box art

I live in the land of Fall Festivals. This means Halloween is on the way out but on Oct. 31, churches all over have parties with candy for kids and they can wear costumes as long as they're not devily.

Speaking of devily. For year DS and I have gone monthly usually to get hair cuts from the same guy. DS always goes monthly. Never been to anyone else in maybe five years. He's also cheap but Dogpatch is cheap.

Yesterday, DS got a haircut. He tried (for the first time ever) to sell the guy some popcorn for his scout fund raiser. Guy said, "I don't see anything on there I want."

So I think WE're loyal. HE'S not loyal. I no longer feel compelled to be loyal. The point of fund raisers is to support kids and schools and scouts. He can afford the popcorn ($7 minimum) and has made a lot of money off us.

I'm not petty, right? He's a jerk, right? Of course, I'm not going to start taking DS to a barber who charges more just out of spite. Will look around.

Also, yesterday my boss asked me where a story was he'd assigned to me. I hadn't done it. Didn't go to the event. I felt SOOO bad. It was at the hospital and they have a PR woman who is pill. I've gone to things there and she's told me that SHE's the one who does things on the hospital for the paper. She took pictures but didn't turn them in. I am so embarassed. Trying to track down the pictures but boss was mad. He didnt' say anything but I could see his facial expression. Bad Peaches.

Now I'm taking my turkey carcas butt into the shower. Bye.

I rented a movie from the library called "Drum Line." never heard of it but it was wonderful. About a college marching band and a talented kid who has a bad attitude. All that's entertaining about marching bands is in the movie I think. Not that I'd know of course.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:05 PM   #39  

Kiwi, I know what you mean about the tomato canning. I don't do tomatoes, but I make this Ginger Pear butter every year. (anyway the last 2 years) There is something about the jars lined up on the kitchen counter that gives some sort of satisfaction. Must be the nesting instinct, or the squirrel instinct, or something to that effect.

Peachers, don't get so angry with your haircutter. Maybe he's on a diet, or maybe he just got hit up by the last kid sitting in his barber's chair, or maybe he's just burned out by all the fundraisers by all the schools and sports teams and girlscouts, and cub scouts, and outdoor school fundraisers, and kid selling wrapping paper, and kid selling candy bars, and kid selling pepperoni sticks and kid selling Christmas wreaths, etc. Doesn't mean that he won't buy the next time DS has a fund raiser, or maybe he just has a no fundraiser policy at his shop. And don't feel bad about work - think of all the times you DO complete your assignment. And if you'd like to completely disregard the last two blurbs of advice, that would be fine, and I won't get either angry or feel bad.

It's the next day and there are still 2 of these d*mn donuts left here in the office.

The sunny autumn is gone. We're into gray and rainy. Supposed to be nice for the little trick or treaters on friday, though. My little trick or treaters grew up and we don't get any neighborhood kids that will walk down that long. dark driveway for a candy bar. Boo.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:56 PM   #40  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

i have nothing interesting to say except that dieting is eternallly BORing and now that i have lost ten pounds and regained two i am bored and why not just regain the other eight in time to start my Christmas Pig Out-------LOSING weight is HARD,but keeping if OFF is WAYYYYYYYY harder.That is all for now. ****. and devil and arse.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:22 PM   #41  
*kiss* *kiss* *kiss*

Bagz ifz you're so board, why dun't you defend me in my pettttiness about the popcorn instead of swearing and making me feel like pinning angel pins to my tee shirt for protection against all the bad forces that are attracted to such words.

Wabboid, I think he may be burned out on fundrasiers but I don't care because we're probably the ONLY customes who have been faithful to him and him only for this length of time and a little payback is very appropriate I think. Besides he has a 2 year old baby girl who will be having fund raisers of her own. The point is to make the kid feel good not to buy the stupid product. If he didn't want anything, he coulda made a donation.

I am feleing depresxed and unahhappy. both. Don't gain weight, Bagzzzz. Lose more!!! DO IT OR ELSE!!!! snarl.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:39 PM   #42  

OK, you're right, Peaches. The guy's a heel and you can be p*ssed if you want to. I would have bought the popcorn. I have major guilt pangs if I don't buy the girl scout cookies from the children in front of my grocery store, and I don't even know these kids. Don't feel depressed and unhappy. It will make me feel depressed and unhappy and I don't need any help. And if Bagzie gains back her other 8 pounds I will feel really depressed and unhappy, so don't do it, Baggggggzzzzzeeeeeee!!!!!!Let's start up a new weight loss challenge - how about 10 pounds off by the time Wabby has to go see her boobie Dr. for her final post op visit? That would be 10 pounds by December 9th. Or we could do the 10 pounds by winter solstice like the lovely maids at the group next door.I did my upper body weights and ab exercises this morning, so there. I'm feeling depressed enough that I can't even seem to motivate myself enough to go get some lunch today. You know it's bad when I won't even bother eating. And yes, those Krispy Kremes are still sitting in their box. The high point of my life is that Nordstrom has their free gift with purchase at the Clinique counter starting today, and miraculously, I've run out of foundation makeup just this morning. What are the odds of that happening?
Old 10-29-2003, 05:14 PM   #43  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

my free gift with purchase is another selection of swear words---@##$ *#@!! and of course how could i forget @#$$% .NOW I AM READY TO DEFUND PEACHISS-----THAT HAIRDRESSER IS AN IDIOT IF HE THINKS HE HAS TO WANT OR NEED ANYTHING ON ONE OF THOSE FUNDRAISER SHEETS-----THE NEXT DOOR BRATS CAME WITH SCHOOL CHOCOLATE BARS---I SAID I DON'T WANT ONE BUT I WILL BUY ONE FOR YOU TO EAT YOURSELF----THAT IS ONLY BECAUSE IT WAS CRAPPY CHOCOLATE OTHERWISE I WANT IT MESELF-----AND NOW JUST TO SABATOGE MYSELF AND ALL MY EFFORTS AND ALL YOUR SUPPORT---------- I WILL DIVE INTO THE HALLOWE'EN CHOCOLATE BAR BARREL----SEE YOU WHEN I COME UP FOR AIR. @#$###!!!!!&&!!!!!
Old 10-29-2003, 11:06 PM   #44  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally posted by Wabby
It's the next day and there are still 2 of these d*mn donuts left here in the office.
Don't worry, they're lousy when they get old. Really.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wabby
The high point of my life is that Nordstrom has their free gift with purchase at the Clinique counter starting today, and miraculously, I've run out of foundation makeup just this morning. What are the odds of that happening?
It's a sign.

I went grocery shopping tonight, than had to wait for dd to get done with dance class (I swear her teacher keeps her later and later every week), while my frozen stuff slowly thawed. By the time I got home, I was in one crappy mood, especially as I had to maneuver around all the junk to get the groceries inside, move stuff off the freezer to put food in it (the vast quantities of green tomatoes are ripening on top of the freezer), and I couldn't use half the kitchen counters because they are covered with towels and containers to catch the drips that are now practically pouring through the ceiling -- since it is apparently going to rain for the rest of forever, I guess I might as well get used to it). Then I couldn't fit everything in the refrigerator, so I decided to use some things up: I'm having a 5-year-old wine cooler at the moment. Nice and aged... And a bag of Frito twists.

Okay, the Fritos didn't come from the fridge. You caught me.

I did my bit for the fundraising turkey supper tomorrow -- I cut sheet cakes for an hour or so this afternoon. And I didn't even eat one. I had a couple of fingertipsful of frosting, that's all. I swear.

I don't know, Peachers, the barber guy is pretty clueless about customer relations, I'll grant you that. But he might just be one of those people who don't spend a dime on anything. I would think people who own their own businesses would often be like that. It's a lot different from getting a paycheck every week -- business might be good this week and nonexistent the next. Of course I speak from the perspective of a gasping community, where everyone is spooked about where the next paycheck is coming from. Tonight I heard someone say that the local stores haven't started putting up Christmas merchandise yet (of course the worst offender for early Christmas stuff was Ames and they went bankrupt some time ago). That's kind of strange. Also at the store I was cruising the candy aisle for Halloween candy and I was shocked to see that the shelves were full!! Usually if you wait till only a day or 2 before Halloween, you've got little to choose from.

Eh bien

Kiwi
Old 10-30-2003, 07:18 AM   #45  
loves kleenex box art

The barber guy told me he drove to Ft Walton Beach to buy a pink witch costume for his 18 month old to wear Friday night as she walks up and down the street (or is carried). His stepson got a brand new car when he turned 16. Before he was 17, he didn't like the car so they got him a different brand new car.
Closed Thread