Old 12-27-2020, 11:59 AM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias — #2

Good Morning! We have great big snowflakes floating down, so pretty but we have enough snow! We are supposed to get more on Tuesday; I guess winter is really here! I have been to church, to finish my part of the counting process. We spent over two hours yesterday getting everything to balance. Some people write one check but divide it into different accounts, some of which are in savings rather than checking. That is a pain when we don't have an offering plate and Sunday School cash to make the necessary split amounts balance, sort of "rob Peter to pay Paul" if that makes any sense. I left two checks for the secretary to divide up because we couldn't do it; I don't know how she will do it either except people may bring in loose Advent change offering. My brain felt like mush! It was easier for me to go back fresh this morning and do my posting. I have laundry going and need to put some Christmas decorations away. Baby discovered the tree and I have some glass ornaments which are now on the mantle.

Susan, our COVID #s are up again, but not sure if they are all our’s or not since we have people come from quite a distance to test because they can’t get in where they live. The vaccine is here and the hospital ER doctors and nurses got the first round, then they started with the rest in the hospitals. The newspaper said they are hoping to vaccinate all nursing homes by March. The paper also predicts another significant increase by mid January because of the holidays. I hope you are feeling better. Being stuck at home is depressing. Do you have any quilting projects you are working on?

Ceejay, meatloaf sounds so good right now! I am just hungry for a good meal of any kind (except fish)! I’m glad you got to see the kids over Christmas, love that baby! They grow up too fast! It’s good your nephew goes to rehab for help when he needs it. Is the inhaler working for you?

”Gma,” what are you doing today?

I guess I jumped the gun on starting the last thread with #1. I thought we would start the new year before we hit the 30 mark. “Oh well!” I need to dream up something for lunch besides snacky stuff we've eaten for the last couple meals. Hope you are enjoying sunshine and warm today, have a nice day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:38 PM   #2  

Good morning. It’s been chilly in the overnights, but warms up to ok temps in the daytime. Jack is snoozing in his chair at the moment. He’s been having a tough time sleeping lately for some reason. He’s back to work tomorrow so letting him just nap today.

We had PF Changs for Christmas Eve like we always do, but did a pick up not eating in restaurant. Christmas day we had waffles and sausage for late breakfast then steak, augratin potatoes, corn and yeast rolls for dinner. Jack had a piece of coconut pie for dessert.

We have been getting texts on both our phones for completing our gun permits! We don’t even have squirt guns in this house! I just block the number. Weird though. The medicare calls have slowed down, but the car warranty stuff seems to have picked up.

Of course my packages didn’t all get delivered. My bff’s is still wandering around somewhere. The afghan one got delivered Christmas Eve. I am over holiday stuff and ready to move into spring!

Susan: I told Jack I’m not depressed, but I am blue from being at home so much. I am not freaking out about it, but I also don’t put myself in a position where there’s lots of people either. On top of that, with my one health issue I don’t feel comfortable even going out for a drive in case I’d need a restroom. They may not be as readily available as they were. I have put off going to the doctor, but I have to go next month for meds. The patients in my practice are reckless, etc at the best of times. Gonna delay my mammogram a few months too.

CeeJay: Hopefully the inhaler will help. I hate winter as it seems to make everything dusty and such, which can mean harder breathing. Glad you got to see the kids and nephew is working on his issues.

Jean: It is nice and quiet here right now. I thought it’d be quiet on Christmas but man were they making noise with their cars. My girlfriend got 10” at their house a couple days ago. Her sweet neighbor came over and plowed her driveway for her. Jack wants Mexican tonight so we’ll order in I guess. I think I’ll put a roast, carrots, baby potatoes in crockpot for dinner tomorrow. For once neither dog is barking.

Everyone have a good Sunday.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:14 PM   #3  

Good Evening! The sun was shining this morning, then disappeared for a few hours and came back out mid afternoon. No wind but was cold. I made the church deposit and sat in line at the drive up waiting for five cars in front of me. They have a fancy machine that will read checks and it didn't agree with my total so the clerk double checked each one on the computer while I watched, said she still didn't match so added it on the adding machine. There was one check where the older (than I am) lady wrote 2500 all in a row. There was a decimal but the machine read it as $2,500. Finally we agreed and I was on my way. There were seven cars behind me! All of the bank lobbies are closed again so it's drive up window or nothing. I took the deposit slips back to the church and had the secretary check to see if the screwy computer posted yesterday or not. It did! I was going to stop for bread and milk but the parking lot was pretty full so decided to wait until after lunch. Bob was late getting home so ended up going after Baby's vet visit. She is now officially our's and I haven't seen her since we got home. You would have thought the stores were closing, I'm guessing their trucks didn't come today because both stores were pretty bare on the basics.

“Gma,” Bob just got a gun permit. He doesn’t have a gun but has been talking about getting one. The owner gal at the office, and her husband, bought each other guns for Christmas. They have three small children so not sure why. He is a high school teacher and they live in a small nearby town. Do you get a notice when your packages are delivered or assume the people will let you know? We got a Christmas card addressed to someone in eastern Iowa from someone in central Iowa. I took it to the post office this morning and the young man said he wondered how that happened. So I gave him my two cents on our lousy delivery service and he wrote my address down and said he would tell the postmaster. Yeah right! Maybe I shared this but a couple weeks ago two men delivered our mail about 7:30 using a flashlight. Your meals always sound so good.

I need to iron a couple shirts for Bob to wear to work. He just ordered four new ones with the BCBS emblem saying he can wear them when he retires but working crop insurance. He doesn’t need any more shirts! Have a nice evening.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

It's dark, cold and gloomy this morning. Snow is on the radar just above us and I hope it's traveling North.
I rejoined WW online this week. It's similar to the program I used earlier this year. but not as expensive I need to eat like a 70 year old and not a teenager. Did make it to the gym and rode the NuStep. It's easy on my joints. Today it's grocery shopping, laundry and gym.
I think the inhaler is helping.
Jean
I'm not opposed to guns for protection or hunting. I just don't like them around my house. I had daddy's 22 rifle for a long time but when I moved here I gave it to my nephew.

gma
I hear you on getting along from winter to spring.

My computer is going crazy from little fonts to big huge fonts so I'm going to get out of here and get started with my day.

Last edited by ceejay52; 12-30-2020 at 10:16 PM.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 05:13 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon! It has been snowing all day; enough is enough! The weatherman says it will keep snowing during the night. I'm glad I went to the grocery store and made the church deposit yesterday. I've done some more laundry, ironed some shirts for Bob to wear for work, and made a pot of chili for lunch. Have a few dishes waiting to be washed, after supper, or maybe before if the mood moves me.

Ceejay, I am not opposed to guns but have no clue how to use one. We have never had any trouble in our neighborhood but we don’t live near the undesirables either. I was surprised when Bob said he was thinking of getting just to be prepared. He had a shotgun when we got married and used to hunt pheasants. I just asked him and he said it is in a gun safe at the farm where he used to hunt. It belonged to his grandfather so I suggested passing it on to Jason who likes to hunt. I guess one can learn something new every day. It has been years since he went hunting. Congrats on going to the gym. The NuStep sounds interesting.

Bob just came home and said he thought he would shovel the first layer off since the snow has let up some. The snow flakes were huge this morning but almost hard to see right now. Guess I will see what Judge Judy is up to today.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:53 PM   #6  

I'm glad I got out this morning to go to the gym because when I got through it was snowing big time. So far it's just dusting but still coming down in big flakes. I missed getting the black eyed peas yesterday at the store so I stopped and got those and some snacks for the week end. The roads will be bad in the morning if it freezes tonight.
Sis may not get to come home Thursday for NYE and NYD because of the weather.
I'm doing very poorly starting with the WW program. I'm eating my emotions today from the snow, these are good emotions, and some other things not good. Wish I knew how to remedy that. At least my life is peaceful right now and that's how I like it.

More later.

I miss my kitties

Last edited by ceejay52; 12-30-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:40 PM   #7  

It's out with the old and in with the new. May 2021 be a blessed year for everyone.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:57 PM   #8  

Happy New Year! It was very foggy this morning but now the sun is trying to peek out. We had sunshine all day yesterday so I won't complain. With no wind blowing it didn't seem so cold and I was surprised at how light it was yet at 5pm. Bob officially retired, as an agent, yesterday at midnight. However, the gal in charge of this office, where he has spent most of his time, has hired him as a production assistant. She all ready has one but wants Bob to just be there to help. His licenses are all up to date and he will continue to do crop insurance when that time comes. It will give him someplace to hang out, or fill in if she has to be gone. With three little kids that does happen. I counted gift shop money this morning and have a load of laundry in the washer. I think the tree is coming down after lunch. I enjoy the lights so that makes me kind of sad, but yet I'm ready to get back into a routine.

Ceejay, I hope your snow didn’t amount to much. It is hard to get on an eating program but you can do it! You do so well going to the gym and I admire that! You could adopt two shelter cats, sometimes they have siblings that need a home. May 2021 be a peaceful and healthy one for you!

”Gma,” hope you are enjoying your day. Football is on the tv now but I did see a good marching band this morning. They were on a football field but have no clue who or where they were.

I need to put my gift shop paperwork away and warm up the chili. Have a nice day and enjoy!
Old 01-02-2021, 10:32 AM   #9  

Morning
Sis is doing her upper body routine. I'm going to the gym a bit later today to get my work out.
We had snow showers yesterday morning. It was fun to watch and thankful just some stuck on the from the frozen rain that we had.
I'm doing laundry this morning and have had a decent breakfast of Greek yogurt and blueberries and a diet Dr Pepper.
This is about it for me.

More snow, a dusting, this afternoon.

Last edited by ceejay52; 01-02-2021 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:36 PM   #10  

Good evening. I have been ill on and off for several days. Guess I’ll have to discuss with my dr what to do. I believe it’s tied to my diabetes and I need to get my liquids and meals to a more set time frame. I’ve also had arthritis aches from this darn weather. Drives me nuts when I feel bad enough not to do things.

Football’s been on the last few days with all the bowl games. Bob must be thrilled Iowa State won the Fiesta Bowl. Notre Dame lost, but it was expected. The Orange Bowl is on right now. It’s all winding down.

Kroger made so many mistakes we’re going out to the commissary tomorrow. They left out 5 items I got charged for, gave us a huge bag of collard greens ick, and the gal wouldn’t take back mistakes because she didn’t want to restock them. I blew my stack, but all I got was store credit for the missing items. I received no apology, no discussing with the employee, etc. I hate having to go out there during all this but we have to get the other stuff.

Jean: Thank you for the card and the beautiful picture. You look like you’ve lost weight. Have you guys decided if you’re going to go to Hawaii alone now since her father died? My friends in IN said it is a mess there. It’s very icy and driving is really bad. Hope Bob enjoys his retirement. On Jack’s current plan he has 7 yrs. We’ll see what he decides to to. He may call it quits in 5.

CeeJay: I certainly hope as the year progresses it gets better. I’m tired of hearing about it all. I am going to try and eat oatmeal every day to help with my health. I like it and it provides a lot of fiber, which I need. I’m going to do chair exercises just to get something in. My knee won’t hold up to anything more strenuous.

Everyone have a good Saturday evening!
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:00 AM   #11  

Good Morning! The sun is shining brightly after another foggy start to the day. No wind but cold at 18 degrees right now. Plan for my day is online church, a load or two of laundry, and to finish putting Christmas away. Actually the Christmas part is Bob's since it is the outside lights and Santa out in front then the rope lights and tree on the deck. We cleaned the refrigerator freezer yesterday so crossed that off my "to do" list.

Ceejay, it sounds like winter has arrived where you live. I had to giggle when you had diet pop with your yogurt for breakfast. I know yogurt is good for a person; I am not a yogurt fan but will choke it down when I have to take an antibiotic. To me it tastes sour.

”Gma,” I hope your doctor can give you a good solution to help you feel better. We have had football on tv all weekend. I just ignore it and do something else. I ordered a book for Bob, for Christmas, and have been reading that. He’s not much of reader so I was surprised when he said to order it after seeing it on FB. The grocery shopping snafu has to be annoying. I am not surprised you didn’t get an apology, etc. Guess you should be glad you got credit for the missing items. I would like to visit the Black Hills, Colorado area, and south into Texas where Bob was stationed before we were married. He thinks we need to visit his MT brother if we are in the BH but that doesn’t really interest me. Bob and his brothers want to get together but no one wants to fly right now. I’m not sure about Maui, hotel rooms and condos are dirt cheap right now but the plane tickets are about the same price. This is the second time Bob has retired but he will still most likely go to the office most mornings. Crop insurance has time lines and he has chased after more than one farmer to get a signature. I have told him he is not hanging around the house all day every day. He could drive semi during the time when harvest isn’t going on. We’ll see I guess. It’s nice he can set his own schedule.
It’s time for church so will close. Hope you enjoy a nice sunny day and do something you enjoy!
Old 01-03-2021, 07:29 PM   #12  

I went to church online this morning. The girl that does our music has come down with COVID so another person did instrumental music. It was different and I like it..
Sis spent the night in Ash Grove and came back at noon. We ate lunch then went to visit with the babies. I love holding the baby boy. He's really cuddly. Little girl likes to be read to so I read to her. Their parents ran errands.

gma
I hope the drama in my area of the world has settled down. but I will not mention it if it does flare up again. Oatmeal has brought down my bad cholesterol levels. just need something to bring up the good cholesterol levels. Hope you feel better soon. I understand about the arthritis pain.

Jean
As long as the winter weather is like this I can handle it. I'm not sure about the 5 to 8 inches of the white stuff.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:50 PM   #13  

Got my COVID stimulus check this morning. It was direct deposited in the bank. Worked some more on my finances this morning. All of it looks good.
I called my insurance company to put my 2011 Rav4 on insurance for a month so I could move it. I'll have to go to Ash Grove to get the title so I can get temporary tags.
Went to the gym but forgot my mask so I just came home and didn't go back.
I started last night to clean out a cabinet that I'm donating. Good grief I sure do have a lot of light bulbs. I will find another place to store those and just junk the rest of the stuff. Nephew has some diapers that are probably to small for his little girl but I will keep them for the baby boy.
It's windy and cold today but the sun is shining.
I've eaten 14 points today for lunch due to the bread but I'll stay with in reason tonight for dinner. It may be cheating but I'm not counting the liquid points, Coke. Maybe some time in the near future. I am trying to replace my cokes with tea to help get rid of the carbonation. And I use Splenda for sugar.
Need to clean up the kitchen and get rid of the mess from the cabinet.

Hi ladies.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:09 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon! The sun is playing hide 'n seek today and is hiding right now. It's 37 degrees according to the weather guru but my goofy thermometer says 48. Bob came home mid morning after checking in at the office. The company shut down his computer as of midnight December 31st and he has to wait 30 days before he can conduct any official business. The office manager did get his own personal computer hooked up so he can get personal emails, etc. If anyone in the company sent him an email regarding his retirement, it will bounce right back to them. Anyhow, he paced around waiting for a call on a part for his snow blower. It is coming from another dealer somewhere else and should be in town by 4:30. They close at 5 so he hopes it is. We are supposed to get 1-3" during the night. I've done some laundry and need to rearrange some kitchen cupboards. I got a new set of mixing bowls and need to get rid of some OLD Tupperware bowls I no longer use. I've been putting that off but I'm tired of looking at the bowls that need a home.

Ceejay, I like oatmeal but just in cookies. I think it is a texture thing for me. Bob likes it and has it occasionally. Your stimulus check came through fast. We have changed banks so our’s will come to the home address and later I imagine. I keep a couple of the disposable masks in my car and in the pickup. All of our stores have the “mask required” sign on the door but some people still ignore it. One store has an employee right by the door so will ask people to leave if they don’t have one on or a doctor’s excuse for not wearing one. I hate it but wear it, my glasses steam over and my nose either starts to run or gets stuffy. Good for you to get rid of a cabinet if you don’t need it. I never counted the liquids on WW. That was back when they wanted you to drink eight 8 ounce glasses of water plus your regular liquids.

Not much else is newsy from Iowa. Hope you are having a terrific Tuesday!
Old 01-05-2021, 05:34 PM   #15  

I started to go to the gym but the sun is shining and warmer so I got out to the shed. Swept down the cob webs and moved some things around and swept the floor. Found the boxes that were supposed to go to Goodwill when I moved out to Ash Grove. I did put my gardening tools all in one place and would like to hang some hooks of some kind to hang electric cords etc. Also put nephew's bike in the shed to give a bit more room in the garage. When I call the people to come get stuff/junk, I'll have enough room for the riding lawn mower to go in the shed. Will need a ramp for the lawn mower.
Sis said that nephew should be coming back from rehab over the week end. I really and truly dread it. I sent him a text stating that we could not be room mates when he comes back. We'd tried once and it didn't work.
Sis is meeting with the contractor to start the renovation on the condo on Friday. I'm excited for her. She wants me to come to Branson Friday afternoon to finish helping her pack. and go out to eat.

Jean
I've only been in one store that makes sure everyone is wearing a mask. They had some available if you don't have one. You need a mask to get in the gym but they don't monitor. Several people take off their mask to exercise. I don't.

gma
Hi