Old 03-01-2019, 08:30 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #37

Good morning. It is going to get into mid 40ís today, but no rain until Sunday. Sunshine, I would love sunshine! Thank goodness it rarely snows here because that would be a whole different banana! We donít have the equipment for it and they dry like nuts here on dry days.

Today is call Sleep Number to find out how to return a $65 pillow I bought that gives me a headache. I put a towel around it to keep from it getting soiled as it is not a regular pillow. I have slept on it three nights and it gives me a headache every night. I bought it hoping it would be the solution and it isnít. I just hope I donít have to jump through hoops to return it.

I need to dust today as I didnít get to it yesterday. I am still fighting with my clinicís billing department. They say I owe $102.60 on a bill from Sept. I finally got Tricare to email me the bill and they never even filed the claim with them. Medicare paid their part, but UT never filed with Tricare. I have contacted them at least 4 times. I sent them a letter with the email from Tricare saying they had no claim for that date. I hope they file it.

CeeJay: I hope it wonít be long until everybody starts warming up. I am concerned about the river though. It is up to nearly 41 feet with flood stage 34. Itís going to get messy before it gets better I am afraid. I saw my friends in IN are expecting another 3 inches this weekend. It is very cold everywhere too. My doctor likes the plate method. It is 1/4 protein, 1/4 carbs, 1/2 veg and then a serving of fruit. Itís difficult to follow simply because most of us donít eat enough veg. I eat more than a lot of people because I grew up eating veg, but my husband didnít so it can be hard fixing meals sometimes.

Garnet: You poor thing. I canít imagine trying to get to work that way. When we lived in IN I used to ride the bus to work and hated winter weather because of walking to bus stop then standing out in cold and snow waiting for it. Having to walk that distance then work had to have been horrible. Hope that situation doesnít repeat itself. As for your dog, if it is vomiting or has diarrhea, give it some canned pumpkin. It does the trick. I used to give it to my yorkie when heíd get sick.

Jean: Donít know what was going on yesterday as I am signed in today. We tried going back to our original WM and found they finished it, rearranged stuff again, but the aisles are twice as wide now. Of course that doesnít count the crap in the middle aisles. Divorce can really be destructive to the outer family. I wonder sometimes what people are thinking when they marry. Iíll say one thing about my parents, I didnít know the true story behind their divorce until a long time after I was married. My dad never ever said a bad thing about my mother and he sure had the ammunition to do so.

Have a good weekend everyone!

gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #2  

Good Morning! It is spitting snow flakes and is 15 degrees heading to 30 according to the weatherman early this morning! I went to enter a debit amount in the checkbook late yesterday afternoon and couldn’t find the checkbook. I had written a check in the gift shop on Wednesday, had coffee with cash yesterday, then used my debit card at WM in the afternoon. Of course both the gift shop and coffee shop were closed by the time I discovered it was missing. So first thing this morning I stopped by both the coffee shop and gift shop, no luck at either place. I’m pretty sure if it fell out of my purse at WM, it wouldn’t be turned in. I stopped by the bank and the young goofus wasn’t sure what to do. He said we could wait and see if any other checks get written or he thought maybe open a new account. There are a few outstanding checks which I sure don’t want to stop payment on nor have checks bounce on a closed account. Then he asked if we had looked for it. Duh! Both Bob and I searched the house, my car, and his truck which I wasn’t in after I wrote the check. Bob had a client with him when I called him, so I went to have my nails filled then do my cat chores. I think we will go back to the bank after lunch and open a new account. I just hate to take a chance on losing the money in the account. Talk about being frustrated! I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about it and couldn’t go back to sleep.

”Gma,” I’m sorry about all the trouble to return the pillow. You would think a company that big would be more accommodating to their customers, at least those who spend a lot for a bed. Probably every time you call the clinic you get a different person and they just add it to a pile that never gets done. Sometimes I wonder if employees ever follow through after phone conversations, or they just tell a person what they want to hear then don’t do it. Maddening for sure. My dad had a sister who was always causing hard feelings in his side of the family. There was a divorce and my mom just always would say, there are two sides to every situation. Bob has a sister and brother who both were divorced. I said her ex was an a** from the beginning (I was right) and his ex still thinks she is part of our family showing up at all family functions. The brother and ex both have remarried; they stayed on friendly terms while co-parenting their kids when they were little. Funny thing is, sister has a divorced son, and brother has two divorced sons.

I need to get a load of laundry going and some idea for a quick lunch. Enjoy a fantastic Friday!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Garnet
Wow, I would not have the stamina to walk that far in the snow to work. I'd been frozen for sure. Sorry your dog is sick. Good for you in getting back on plan
Jean
I hope you find the checkbook. It probably is a good thing to close that one out. Some one has recently tried to hack my sister's online account and she had to close it out.
GMA
I hope you have no issues in returning the pillow. I kept getting the error that I had the wrong password. It finally let me in.
---
Not much going on. Getting ready for the next big round of extremely cold weather that's coming in on Saturday afternoon. This system is supposed to bring snow and 0 degree weather.
Sis called this afternoon stating that my nephew's wife had been to the doctor and she's getting ready to deliver any time. We will have our baby sooner than expected. I'm excited.
My cursor keeps bouncing around. I hate this.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:53 AM   #4  

Good Morning! I found the checkbook!!!!! For some reason we were sitting here yesterday, before eating lunch, and going back over my actions the day before. I had written checks for the gift shop and taken the bag containing the supplies back upstairs. I went to check and there was my checkbook along with the gift shop checkbook, bank bag, etc.! Let me tell you I was one happy camper, as was Bob! I hated the thought of having to go through opening a new account and notifying the automatic pay accounts. It looks like it is going to be another gloomy, cold, windy day in my neighborhood with the possibility of some snow showers. Bob just left to attend his tractor club meeting that he went to a month ago only to discover he had the wrong date. It’s a two hour drive so I won’t see him until later this afternoon. I have lots of different projects I could work on today to get ready for card clubs in a couple weeks. Now to decide which to do first.

Ceejay, the young man at the bank couldn’t understand why we don’t bank online and I told me I am “old” and still am not convinced technology is here to stay. Our kids bank online and check their accounts every day to be sure all is ok. I’m thankful we decided to wait until Monday to open a new account. It sounds like we will be having the same kind of weather. I drove down a street, downtown, yesterday I swear they hadn’t plowed. The snow was causing cars to swerve and I was afraid I would either slide into a parked car or one meeting me would hit me. For some reason the plows haven’t gotten down to bare pavement in town. Frustrating! Every once in awhile the page will flip me down to the bottom when I start a new sentence. Hope the new baby arrives safely and soon!

Hope you all enjoy either a productive or relaxing super Saturday!
Old 03-02-2019, 09:05 AM   #5  

Good morning everyone! Gonna be cool but at least dry today. We have to go to Fresh Market to get meat and produce and will probably just get a bite to eat while weíre out. Depends on what Jack wants for linner (we call it that because itís a combo of lunch and dinner.)

Tomorrow I am going to finish cleaning downstairs. Jack says heíll vacuum and clean the kitchen counters and small appliances so I am definitely gonna let him. Iíll get some more work done on the afghan too.

CeeJay: They wonít take the pillow back, says it is policy that I had to agree too, which I never did. She said she would make an exception, but charged me $30 to send it back. I was mad the whole day yesterday as I called as soon as they opened the phone lines. Ruined a perfectly good day. I was a grump the whole day. I know you are excited about a new baby. My cursor bounded around this morning too. It does it sometimes here.

Jean: Oh brother, what a mess! I donít envy you trying to get it cleared up. I rarely write checks except when I have to, like for our HOA fees and I donít even carry my checkbook anymore in my handbag because I use my bank card when I am away from the house. That doesnít mean you canít have a mess nowadays. I sure hope it turns up. Sounds like you, CeeJay, and Garnet still have some bitter weather to look forward to. I donít envy any of you. Good ole groundhog screwed up I think. He must have seen somebody elses shadow.

Everybody have a nice Saturday.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:06 AM   #6  

Jean
Yeah on finding the checkbook. What a relief that must of been! These younger people think we senior citizens don't know any thing. The laugh is on them. I do use bill pay on occasions but have most of my bills set up for the payee's to take the money out of the bank. I still keep an eye on the account though.

GMA
I made pork chops the other night. Got them ready to go in the refrigerator but forgot to put them inside. Found them the next morning on the counter. I was looking forward to having those for lunch. May go get some more for this week end.

Garnet

I binged on potato chips last night in anticipation of the weather that will be here sometime tonight. It's already on the radar. That's okay, but I'm up 2 pounds this morning. ugh
A friend from my home town in Arkansas posted another picture of the Mighty Mississippi. It's way out of its banks. I'll try and post the picture.
Guess if I'm going to get out and about I need to do it now.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:52 PM   #7  

Default Another picture

52908614_1637278419749988_6358006595560931328_n.jpg
This is another picture of how much more the river has swollen. The pick-nick tables are now half way under water and the water itself is backing up to the levee. Just in case, I borrowed this picture from the Osceola South Mississippi county chamber of commerce page on FB

Last edited by ceejay52; 03-02-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 235/161/125

Height: 5'2"

It's a beautiful day! The streets are clear of snow (finally), the snow is still everywhere except for trees, hard, and still melting. The street drains sound like rivers when I walk past them. The snow storm wave that is moving east across the country now is the same one that hit us last week (last Sunday nite and Monday), so I know what people are going thru now. 14,000 in the county I live in was without power but now that number is below 4,000. My power did not go out. WHEW! However there is flooding in some areas, and many people are worried it will get worse by the time all the snow melts.
I'm glad now that I walked to work that Monday because I proved to my boss that she can depend on me. One day she was frustrated because of other employees that call in "sick" or just don't show up for work & I told her that I will never do that to her & if I don't show up for work I am either in the hospital or dead. Last week on Monday and Tuesday only 2 cashiers showed up for work, myself and another. My boss now loves us! I think when I was hired she wasn't sure I could do the job because of my age - all the other workers are so much younger than I - I proved to my boss that I can do what she did not think I could do. It was hard, but I was not going to let my boss down because I so much appreciate her for hiring me. It is hard to find a job at my age. I went three months applying for jobs when I moved here. My checking account was down to $53 when I finally got hired. I am a "Call In" - don't work a regular schedule, I work when someone else "calls in" or does not show up - that's when my boss calls me to come in to work. It's inconvenient because it means when they call me I have to drop whatever I am doing, get dressed as fast as I can & speed walk it to the bus stop. Sometimes I do not know what time I will get off of work until they say, "You can clock off & go now, thank you for coming in." It's a part time job but its a job & I will never let them down.

I think this big snow fall is the break between winter & spring here. It looks like spring. The snow may take a week or two (or three?) to melt because there is so much but when spring hits many of the trees will be blossomed with white and pink flowers everywhere.

Jean, I am glad you found your checkbook. Yes, the bank agent was an idiot. He should have immediately closed that account & not except any checks from that account coming in dated past the date of the last check you wrote - at least temporarily. But, it all worked out & no doubt you are releaved. (misspelled?)
You can always give the pillow away or use it for something else - your pet might like it, especially with your scent on it, you can use the stuffing to fill something else...you may find another use for it...your feet/back...

Ceejay, Yeh! on the baby coming. I know that's exciting. Hope all goes well.

Gma, sounds like you will have your spring cleaning done by spring for sure. You inspired me. My next day off work I am going to shampoo the carpet. It sure needs it after winter daily rain & then snow.

I lost another pound! Now I have lost 11 pounds. Hopefully I will burn off another pound this week - I can only try, but I am not willing to go to work hungry or go to bed hungry. When spring starts I may walk to work - it takes an hour WITHOUT THE SNOW - it will be good exercise for me. I cannot walk it back home after work because I usually don't get off work till late at night & I am not about to walk home then, & I'm always too tired anyway. The grocery store is open 7 days a week till midnight.

OK - have to get dressed for work & catch the bus, you ladies hang-in there, that's what we have to do. Above my stove (on the wall) I have a sign that says "Work hard & be brave". It seems to help keep me going & not give up.

Last edited by snowell; 03-03-2019 at 11:21 AM.
snowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:52 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, 20 mph wind is blowing, -6 but feels like -32 outside. A beautiful winter day to stay inside! We are working on some cleaning to get ready for card clubs in a couple weeks. Bob took the fireplace window off to clean out the cobwebs. I’m not sure how they get in there since it is supposed to be sealed and we don’t use it. I found some 2018 credit card papers to shred and some other old clippings I thought I might eventually refer back to and they are now gone! I don’t know why I save articles since I end up pitching them anyway.

“Gma,” I did find my checkbook! Evidently my post didn’t show when you posted last. Needless to say I/we were very relieved! Hope you accomplished the cleaning you wanted to do. I am convinced dusting is a waste of time!

Ceejay, do you have the bank pay credit card bills? I do write checks for those because I like to make sure the charges are mine. Bob has a separate business account so we rarely used the same card. I have a debit card but he doesn’t, he really prefers to use cash when he can. I have been known to leave food out on the counter, forgetting to put it in the refrigerator. I would hate to admit how much food I throw out, usually leftovers. I also have been known to overindulge in salty snacks and pay for it the next day. You will have the extra two pounds gone with a visit to the gym. I have enjoyed seeing the pictures you have shared. I hope that peoples’ homes are not close to the river.

Garnet, I understand about older people wanting to work and not being able to get hired. The problem around here are jobs that are available, the younger generation being hired, then not happy because they are expected to actually work. *gasp* They just don’t show up. There were two gals hired at WM, clocked in then left and came back to clock out at the end of their shift. Needless to say they got caught and fired on the spot. I admire you for walking to work when the buses didn’t run. I know I couldn’t have done that. The pillow issue belongs to “Gma.” I don’t blame her for being upset, I would be too. on another pound gone! I’m sure the walking has to help, but I don’t blame you for not walking home after dark. I don’t go anywhere in this town, alone, after dark! I like your sign! How old is your son with the allergies?

Not much newsy from Iowa today and I need to get back to my sorting and pitching. Hope you are enjoying a warm sunny day!
Old 03-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #10  

Jean
I used bill pay to pay the different credit card. It was there in 2 day's. I signed up for automatic bank draft for all m other bills like phone, electric, gas. I keep a very close eye on things. I'm curious as to how to clean the fireplace glass. Mine needs needs cleaning.

Garnet
I really don't blame you for walking home late at night. But I'm proud of you for walking to work. It is good exercise. And good for you in losing that pound.

Hi GMA

We had a light snow, about 2 inches,.over night and of course t hear the weather people predict things were suppose to me a whole lot more. Glad we didn't. It is very cold outside right now. We are having periods of sunshine and then light snow flurries. But the street looks half way decent. I was binge eating the past two days because of the amount of snow being predicted.
They cancelled church this morning because of the snow. Think there was more of it the further north you went. I hope that it's clear Wednesday as this is ash Wednesday.
I bought more pork chops as I didn't get my fill of them the last time I made them. I have carrots and potatoes in the crock pot along with the pork chops. I'm trying something just a bit different this time. I browned the chops and them wrapped them in foil. Hopefully they will not get to soggy this way. I do like them tender so we will see how this method works.
I need to get back in to exercising. I have a stationary bike at home I can use but I'd rather go to the gym.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:38 PM   #11  

Good morning girls! It is here today, but at least no rain that can freeze. We are in 20ís with single digit wind chill. Very unusual for us. Where oh where is spring?

I folded a load of clothes, put one in washer then into dryer, unloaded dishwasher, cleaned all my stainless appliances, clean my ceramic top stove and when I get done here will finish the kitchen up. Then get the other load folded and done for today. I put a pot roast, new potatoes and carrots in the crockpot for dinner so that was easy peasy. I use stock in it so makes it easy to make gravy when itís done.

We had hard rain, tornado watches, and power outages yesterday so I got nothing done. We went out to dinner last night and it was nuts!!! The lobby was full of people. There was a party of 20, one of 14, 2 of 8 and one of 6. Took us about 25 minutes to get a table, but our gal was great and our food came pretty quickly. We go to this restaurant 2-3 times a year for their prime rib. They have the best salad. It is greens, hard boiled egg, potato sticks, tomatoes, bacon and has a small croissant that has some kind of honey stuff on it. I bypass that, but the salad is yummy. We had to yell at each other to converse and it was kind of funny. They have a bunch of tvs like a sports bar does, so we gave up talking and watched baseball.

CeeJay: The darn pillow was $65 so I wasnít happy they didnít take returns. She did take it back, but like I said, charged me $30 to do so. Better $30 than keeping it at $65. My best friend was 62 when her husband passed and she had to go back to work. Like you, she applied everywhere, grocery stores, retail, you name it. She has bookkeeping experience but they werenít looking for someone her age I think. She ended up having to take the penalty and draw her SS and she got a part time job at Marshalls. Poor thing works in the fitting rooms and ends up lugging heavy clothes around. They also put her in the back unpacking boxes and tagging and such. She hates it, but she has to have the money. We lived that for over 30 yrs so when my husband got this job and our income has quadrupled, I swore I was going to give back. People really donít understand struggling when you do work, but it just doesnít go far enough. I have to say being able to pay all my bills on time now probably makes me the happiest. I could care less about other stuff if we have food on the table and gas in the car, etc. I will pray for you that things greatly improve for you, maybe they at least take you on part time as a regular employee. You are a courageous lady!!!

CeeJay: We still are river rising here. They said next week it should start to recede. We shall see. I hate it when I take stuff out of the freezer and forget it. I have to say though, we bought a Food Saver vacuum sealer and boy does it save the $$ on not having to toss stuff out. I like to make smothered pork chops. Seems like they break down nicely that way.

Jean: Yay!!! Glad you figured out where it was. We must have been posting at the same time. My fireplace is a nuisance in my opinion. I hate the darn thing and get really nervous when I small wood burning here as I know they donít pay to have their chimneys cleaned and I am always afriad of one of them catching fire. They still havenít cleaned up that garbage. If itís not gone by Friday, I am gonna rip into the manager. Yesterday, across from our garage they had two cars parked working on them. We couldnít get into ours when came back from dinner. I am so sick and tired of this stuff. Those of us that own our condos take care of them, the investors that rent could care less, which is stupid because every time someone moves out they have to spend money on repairs, painting and such.

Everyone have a good week!!! Off to finish my chores.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:10 PM   #12  

GMA
You can come up here when you are finished to do my chores. I need to get busy on my chores.

-----------
It was cold this morning with a 3 degree's temperature, and slowly warming up. At least the sun is shining. I'm staying inside another day.
My pork chops were good yesterday and will fix them again like this. I like using my crock pot. Need to thaw some chicken breast to use later.
This is it for me.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:48 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, wind is blowing, and it has warmed up to 5 degrees from -13 early this morning. I stayed up too late last night reading a Nora Roberts book. Part way through I realized I have read it before but have forgotten how it ended so will finish it. The church office was super cold this morning and my hands were cold the whole time I was there. I was wishing I had taken coffee in an insulated cup. We balanced on the first try and the bank agreed with our figures. I was done and on my way before the secretary showed up; at that point she was 20 minutes late. I stopped by the bank to deposit the gift shop money and the hospital to drop off checks. Our P.E.O. meeting is tonight at the assisted living place where several of our members live. I much prefer day time meetings but we do this once a year. Hopefully it will be short and sweet tonight.

Ceejay, Bob just used hot water and a soft rag on the fireplace glass. It comes off so he laid it on an old bath towel on the counter. It is gas and we don’t use it so it was just dusty and cobwebby. I would call somplace that sells wood burners to ask what cleaner to use. How long did you cook your pot chops, and did you add any liquid? I’ve never done them in the crock pot. I must admit I don’t use my crock pot very often.

”Gma,” I think it is cold all over. It will be interesting to see if we even have a spring or what the summer weather will be. It seems like there are more tornadoes than ever before, and in places where they don’t often happen. I hate noisy restaurants where you have to yell to have a conversation. Our so called water park/resort attraction just remodeled their restaurant. The chairs are cheap plastic and uncomfortable, they took our the carpet so it is super noisy now, and they cut way back on the menu which wasn’t that great to begin with. We retirees go there once a month and I keep hoping someone will suggest going somewhere else. Your neighbors sound like the new ones we have, the weekenders during the nice weather and the woman with a fish house, two pickups, and a utility trailer parked in her driveway. I can hardly wait to see what riffraff moves in next door.

I have towels in the dryer to fold and put away. Then I need to figure out what I am wearing tonight. Enjoy the rest of a marvelous Monday!
Old 03-05-2019, 10:13 AM   #14  

Good Morning! The sun is shining, the wind continues to blow, but the temperature is above 0; 7 degrees! We are going to Sioux City after lunch to look for new lamp shades, may end up with new lamps. We replaced the light bulbs with LED bulbs and they made me realize how old the lamps are! They are still “dim” because of the shades. I am working on my cleaning list so need to get busy. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Tuesday!
Old 03-05-2019, 12:22 PM   #15  

It is not as cold today at 22 degree's but the wind is still tough. We still have snow on the ground. And the sun has been shining the past couple of days.
I've gotten lazy. but it's been to bad to go to the gym plus the arthritis in my lower back has really been bothering me on the cold,cold days.
Need to get busy. Today is laundry and cleaning day.
Have a good day

Last edited by ceejay52; 03-05-2019 at 12:36 PM.