Old 05-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #16  

Good Afternoon! It’s another beautiful day in my neighborhood, sunny and 82 degrees as I type. We had a very brief rain shower this morning as I was heading out to WM and the grocery store. I was almost out of orphan/robin food and wrestled a 35# bag into the cart. I got behind a mother/daughter combo in the check out lane. The mother had a debit card but didn’t know what to do with it. I had already unloaded my basket so stayed in line. After everything was done, the daughter had her sign the screen, then the lady takes out her checkbook and enters the transaction. Lucky me, I got behind the same woman in the grocery store! The daughter was off doing her own shopping. Same procedure with the debit card, the checker walking her through how to do it; only now she also has the gas rewards card but not with her. The checker asked for her phone number then had to explain she could look up her card number that way. The kindly gentleman who sacked her groceries asked if he could carry them out for her and she said no, she had to wait for her daughter who wasn’t in line yet. He tried to convince her to wait at the front of the store and he would help both of them. She stayed planted where she was, just far enough ahead so my cart was in the way and I couldn’t reach the credit card machine. The checker is rolling her eyes and the sacker finally said she would have to move in order for me to get out. By now two more people are behind me waiting. I kept reminding myself that some day I will be “old” and need help too. Consequently, lunch was a bit late because I was hungry for a casserole that had to bake an hour. I need to clean up the kitchen and will be Bob’s taxi service when he brings his tractor home to wash it then take it to the manor. He lets the retirement home use one of his tractors to pull their people mover around town. It used to be for the 4th of July parade and the month of July, but now they have their own people mover so will be all summer. They go for rides around town and often stop at a bar by the lake. It has a patio and they like to sit and watch the boats, some have a beer, drink pop, or whatever. They have had their picture in the local paper more than once, really enjoying the rides. The funeral the bells are playing for will be Friday morning; we play Sunday so assume will practice both pieces at the same time. I have been watching the lava videos from Hawaii, so scary!

“Gma,” I hope your shoulder and arm feel better soon! Mine hurt when I would reach back for the seatbelt or to put my arm in a coat sleeve when Bob would hold my coat. I got the most relief from ibuprofen which is a big no no from my doctor and also Bob’s. I think the two weeks doing nothing in Maui helped the most. It’s not fun to hurt! Now I am 99% positive I had food poisoning since my stomach has had “twinges” both yesterday and today. Food is staying where it is supposed to but I am being extra careful about what I eat. I was always closer to the end of my piano recitals as I got older. Everything had to be memorized; I couldn’t memorize anything now. My only salvation was I had the summer off because my teacher liked to travel.

I need to get busy! Have a terrific rest of your day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:21 PM   #17  

Good Afternoon! It is cold, windy, and rainy again today. I was going to put my electric blanket away but will wait another week. My furnace is running right now. I was looking forward to a “catch up” weekend but Beth and family are coming over tomorrow so have been doing some extra cleaning I hadn’t planned on doing. Guess the rest will wait until next week. For some reason I am tired and a nap sounds awfully good.

I need to get busy or I will still be working this evening when it’s time to go to bed. Tomorrow and Monday are early mornings. Hope everyone has a nice weekend!
Old 05-14-2018, 06:01 AM   #18  

Good early morning! We got home around five after one crazy trip home. Construction, traffic, cop pullovers and accidents. The last one only 40 miles from home was a hum dinger. They had traffic stopped in both directions because whatever happened started a block long fire in the medium. I was driving and the truckers wouldn’t let me into the right lane as the left lane was blocked with a police car. I pulled up and forced my car front between a truck and RV and sat kind of sideways as they were making people drive on the shoulder and we were inching along. All of a sudden I hear a truck honk and this dumb volunteer fireman is in a firetruck and drove up the right shoulder without his siren on. He wants me to get out of the way so he can get between me and the rv and onto the left lane and up to the accident. Here I am backing onto the interstate to try and let him through. (the dummy could have driven the left lane all the way up because it was totally clear.) Then this nitwit gets up to the accident and discovers he’s on the wrong side of the interstate because the fire was being dealt with from the other side! So what does the dope do? He turns around and drives the wrong way in the left lane down the interstate. I hope somewhere back there he didn’t come in contact with cars still in the left lane.

We came home to 95 degree temps. My feet and calves were swollen (I neglected to put on my compression leggings because I had on jeans and was afraid if I needed to take them off I wouldn’t be able to,) so Jack made me sit and he dragged it all in. We have to deal with it all this morning as all we did was fix us a bite to eat and we crashed in bed at 7 pm, me with swollen legs and Jack with a headache. Felt great to be up in our cool, dark room in our own comfortable bed and we were sound asleep in just a few minutes.

We have Thomas’s graduation tonight at 7.

Jack got a voicemail while we were gone from the HOA president. He called him back after we got back to the hotel and he offered Jack a position on the HOA board. Whoopee now maybe we’ll know what the heck is going on.

Well even though it’s only 5 AM guess I better get crackin’ so I can make some headway. Have a good day.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:02 AM   #19  

Good Morning! It is very foggy here this morning so not sure what kind of weather is in store for today. Yesterday was rainy most of the day and the sun came out late in the afternoon turning on the humidity big time. We went to Maddy’s soccer game; she made a goal and they won, 3-1. She played goalie, without getting clobbered, for the first half then forward the second half. Soccer camp is on her summer activity list so she can try out for the high school team next year. Zowie has a game this afternoon so will be on the road again. There is laundry waiting and a bathroom to clean this morning, maybe even a quick swipe with the vacuum if I am really ambitious.

“Gma,” glad you are safely home once again. The older I get the more I dislike driving in any kind of traffic! Most drivers have no manners and are just plain stupid! On our last interstate trip we could see the black smoke long before we got to the interstate. As we got closer, something was burning on the shoulder on the other side. A man was standing in the ditch talking on his cell phone but no emergency vehicles in sight. Traffic had stopped behind semis because they couldn’t see through the smoke. We did see a tiny fire
truck trying to drive on the shoulder to get to the fire. I saw on FB you made it to graduation, I’m so glad. Hopefully Jack can make a difference on the HOA board. I admire him for volunteering.

I need to get dressed and get my day going. Hope you have a terrific Tuesday and enjoy the day!
Old 05-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #20  

Good afternoon! We are finishing up getting things back to normal from the trip. It is super hot here this week so today we are staying in. Tomorrow we’ll be out for awhile but not out in the weather. I like the hotter weather but it causes me problems like swelling, dizziness, etc so I try to stay inside buildings in excessive heat.

Well, the cutting down of our tree and bushes and azaleas has caused a mess of odds and ends. It sprouted all kinds of stuff so tomorrow we’ll get some weed killer and try and get rid of it all.

Jean: I saw Maddie’s goal. She did a great job! Why is it women seem to always have something they need to do? I don’t think we’re ever caught up because we get done then it’s time to start back at the beginning.

I need to get back to putting stuff away. Have a good afternoon.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:22 PM   #21  

Good Afternoon! It’s a beautiful day in my neighborhood with NO wind, sunshine, and 81 degrees. I went to have my nails done first thing this morning. I had a different tech and she was so slow but did a good job. Then I made another trip to WM; they are rearranging stuff again. I replanted a plant this afternoon and have been working on the checkbook trying to find a mistake. I hate when that happens but have gone through it twice and am about ready to forget it and start over with what the bank says. I did find a ten cent mistake in the gift shop checkbook a couple years ago, and it was the bank’s mistake.

“Gma,” is someone going to replace your bushes and azaleas? If not, they should! Unless you don’t want them to do so, that is. It’s nice you got to have lunch with Thomas. It seems likes the grandkids grow up so much faster than our own kids did. Zowie turns 13 on Sunday, doesn’t seem possible as she is our “baby” and taller than I am. Of course everyone is taller than I am, except Kolby and he’s catching up fast. Are you watching any of the royal wedding hoopla? I saw the gals trying on hats yesterday and that was fun.

The dishwasher is finished so need to unload that. Beth is coming over to go fishing with Bob tomorrow so I need to think of something for lunch, either that they can take with or could be ready in a hurry if they come back to the house. Supposedly the fish have quit biting so hope they catch something. Hope you enjoy your evening!
Old 05-17-2018, 07:33 AM   #22  

Good morning. It is only going to be low 80’s today but rainy so gives us some relief from the heat. We never did get to Lowes yesterday. It was pouring down rain when we left lunch and we decided just to go home. I’ll get the stuff this weekend. I may not be able to spray anytime soon as we are supposed to have a lot of rain the next couple weeks.

Jack took my car today and tomorrow to work. His AC has gone out and they can’t get him in until Tuesday. He’s going to drop the Mariner off after work on Monday and I’ll just go pick him up. The dealer is only about 4 miles from here. I hope it’s just a hose needing replacement. It won’t keep a charge.

I am doing a load of laundry and going to clean upstairs bathrooms today. My house needs a good cleaning for sure.

Jean: We had a great Time with Thomas. Boy has he gotten tall. I hugged him when we left the restaurant and my head came to his chest. He has these super long fingers too. He is going on an 80 mile full pack hike with the Boy Scouts next month. They have a big scout camp out in New Mexico. I think he said that next week is his triathlon. His dad is doing it with him. I am afraid they are going to be doing it in the rain again this year. I hope the swim is fairly warm for him as last time the water was too cold and he had to quit. I don’t remember having so many things going on in my life like kids do nowadays. He definitely keeps busy. He will be 18 next month and Jackson will be 12. He said he’ll be in New Mexico for his bday so I’ll send his card to him early I think. They do grow up fast. When I joined 3fc neither of us had any grandchildren! The lady next door was fixing her stinky stuff whatever it is. Jack said he came out of the clubhouse after the board meeting and he could smell it outdoors! Lasted all evening. Ugh!!

Everybody have a good day. Off to balance my checkbook and put clothes in the dryer.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:09 PM   #23  

Good Morning! It’s another beautiful day in my neighborhood with sunshine and NO wind again today. What a nice treat that is! The sliding doors are wide open and birds are chirping away. I think most of the orioles have moved on, only had a couple this morning along with one hummingbird. Beth was here early to go fishing; I hope they catch something! Kolby is in a parade this afternoon so she will head home to pick him, and his saxophone, up from school. They had an incident too close to their home, for comfort yesterday. A man tried to grab a 10 year old girl who was walking close to her house. She managed to get away from him and into the house. It was on the news last night but not a good description of the man and no visible car. Maddy and Kolby both walk home after school and usually separately because of different practices. Next year they will be in different buildings. I made tacos for lunch; ever since our Taco John’s closed I have been hungry for tacos. We have several resataurants that make them but not just “plain and simple” where you can add your own stuff. I am still trying to find my (?) mistake in the checkbook. Makes me so frustrated even though the bank says I have more than I say we do.

“Gma,” I always tease Ian that he grows taller between the times we see him. His other grandpa and uncle are both 6’6”; I hope he doesn’t get that tall because the clothes are outrageously expensive. I think he is 6’3” now. But like Thomas, he is such a nice young man! His girlfriend dumped him a couple weeks ago without giving him a reason. She showed up at their door with the gifts he had given her and wanted the things she had given him back. Amanda said one of her gifts was a nice birthstone necklace and no one in the family has the same month. His feelings were really hurt since she wouldn’t give him a reason, just wanting to be friends. Jason keeps telling him there are lots of fish in the ocean! Did Jack learn anything at the board meeting?

I need to set the table and be ready when the fisher people come in for lunch. Hope you all enjoy a nice day!

Last edited by Jean; 05-17-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:11 PM   #24  

Good Afternoon! We started the day with sunshine but it is getting darker like it might rain any minute, which it is supposed to do tomorrow and Sunday. This morning was my once a month coffee date and this afternoon I had to do the end of the week paperwork for the gift shop when I picked up the money. The only problem is that “someone” took it upon themselves to remove the signed payroll deduction sheets for Monday-Thursday so I have nothing to double check against what is written on the daily sheets. GRRRRR! The Friday coffee shop gal is clueless as far as the gift shop paper record workings so she was no help. I do have the cash and checks counted so the deposit is ready for the bank. Nothing planned for the weekend except more decluttering, laundry, and church because Bob’s group is singing. Have a nice evening!
Old 05-18-2018, 08:05 PM   #25  

Good evenig ladies. We have had a lot of rain and boy my knees and hands are certainly complaining. I can’t knit or do anything where I have to move them a lot.

We are watching a rain delay for the Cubs. Don’t know if they’ll get the game in or not.

We have grocery shopping this weekend and I have to get to Lowes and get weed killer before we are overrun. They have popped up everywhere. It’s a mess.

Jean: The hoa is raising the fees by $20 starting in Sept. They are working to get residents heavily behind in their fees to pay up or lose their home, but they are finding when they push and demand, the people file bankruptcy and they end up getting nothing. It’s one of the reasons why they can’t do the heavy maintenance. They want to raise the fees by $100 but the retired folks can’t afford it so they are doing a little at a time. I told Jack 5 yrs ago they should double the fees. We have lived here 17 yrs and they haven’t raised them once. Sounds like you have issues at the hospital. Hope you can find your booboo eventually. Years ago there was a taco place in Jack’s home town called Princess Tacos. They were the best tacos ever. I am not big on putting that powdered taco mix in my meat. It has too much chili powder, I think. I too like to do my own. Jack is a meat, onions and cheese guy. I like putting, lettuce, tomato, black olives and guac if it will fit. lol

Well, I better get going.. You all have a nice night.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:09 PM   #26  

Good Morning! The sun is shining, it’s a cool 55 degrees, and windy. I have laundry going and am debating about whether to the electric blanket off the bed. We have a few cooler rainy days coming up. Not much planned for today except to iron church clothes for tomorrow, dust, and vacuum.

“Gma,” my hospital “boss” was gone last week so that’s why I didn’t have all the paperwork I needed to do my report. If I can’t do her end of the week balancing she will ask someone in administration to do it. I’m hoping she will find out who has what I need first thing Monday. I did the money part just not the payroll deduction. It’s too bad the management company let repairs get so far behind for so long. What do you put in your taco meat if you don’t use the taco powder?

I am hungry for potato salad so am going to make some for whatever lands on the grill later. Hope you enjoy a nice weekend!
Old 05-21-2018, 07:45 AM   #27  

Good morning. We have today and very humid. I turned the AC on first thing this morning. I have been sitting here knitting a pair of socks for a friend, but already have a load of laundry going and dishes unloaded and reloaded.

I need to get the rest of the upstairs done today, start on the downstairs, and go pick Jack up from the dealership at 3:15 or so. It’s not far from here so can leave at the last minute. Sure hope it’s not the compressor or something more serious. We have had to spend a lot of money lately and we still have the crown on his tooth when he gets it done. The boys birthdays are next month and we are taking a trip to KS City in August. Ahh well, it’s just money.

I wanted to go out and soak all those weeds with weed killer today but no such luck. Hopefully I can do it tomorrow as they have run amok. I don’t know how cutting down a tree, holly bush and three azaleas could start a forest of weeds as I never had problems with them before but they are everywhere, even against the fence line. They literally popped up overnight it seems.

I have been fighting with Zales online to get my $325 refund. I bought a bracelet that it said was peach colored. It came and the beads were teeny tiny and tan so I boxed it up and sent it back priority mail with signature confirmation on April 5th. I have emailed three times and called them three times. I was originally told 3 weeks for a refund. That past so I called them. She took all the info, gave me a reference # and said if I hadn’t heard anything in 2 days to call them back. I didn’t so I did. Got a guy who cheerfully told me last Thursday, I would get an email from them that day, which I didn’t. So, now we are 6 weeks out from them receiving my package (I gave them all that info including the person’s name who signed for it) and still nothing. So, I am calling them this morning and raising the roof. I am telling them I want a supervisor. I am fed up. On top of that, my credit card got charged for Macafee and we haven’t had it in over 2 years. We went with PC maticas they are cheaper and made here in US. Anyway, I went to Macafee this AM, logged onto my account and I do not have auto renewal so I hope I haven’t gotten hacked again! It is always something.

Jean: I don’t make hard shelled tacos much, but when I do, I just salt and pepper the meat with some garlic and onions cooked in. We use taco sauce on hard shelled tacos and using the taco seasoning seems to be too much. We like rolled tacos and since they have cheese inside and out, I just make the meat the same. I had the worst potato salad ever a few days ago. We ordered dinner from Jason’s deli, which is a chain and I got potato salad as my side. First, I don’t like bell pepper in my potato salad, it had no sweetness, which I like and the potatoes were mashed not cubed. It was disgusting. The chicken salad sandwich was awful too. They mangled the chicken like it’d been through a grinder, then just mayo, almonds and a couple grapes. Dinner for me was a failure. I threw out the chicken salad, ate the croissant it came on with the lettuce and tomato and some lunchmeat with a few chips. Bob Evans used to make the best chicken salad ever. It had pecans and grapes and chunks of chicken. It was delicious, but we went there for breakfast on our trip and they quit making it, I noticed. It came with a bunch of fruit and a dinner roll.

Well, I guess I should get some breakfast in me and get going on chores. Have a great day.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #28  

Good Morning! It is cloudy and cool again today with a few raindrops now and then, but no wind so far. It was really foggy when I drove to church early this morning. We balanced on the first try and I was done earlier than usual. I made the gift shop deposit and dropped checks off at the hospital on my way home. I have towels in the washer and need to think about something for lunch shortly, potato salad for one thing.

“Gma,” we have rocks around our deck and in front of the house; I noticed the tiny weeds are popping up but Bob said he sprayed them. I just pull them if I see one or two but seems like there are quite a few right now. I hope you get your refund from Zales soon. Couldn’t you have had the credit card company charge it back? Either way it is aggravating! I ordered four bottles of Oriole food from Amazon because no one around here had any. When I got home, the box was in two plastic bags by the front door delivered by Fed Ex. The note said they were leaking when they received the box. We’ve never had Fed Ex deliver anything ordered from Amazon. There were drips the length of the driveway and a puddle under the plastic bag. The box is ripped open across one end; one bottle is completely empty and another bottle almost empty, two were still in tact but a sticky mess. Bob took pictures on my iPad, then I get on the phone to Amazon and get the nicest English speaking lady! After I explained the situation she said I didn’t need to send the pictures or return anything. She gave me credit for the two bottles and was so nice. I complimented her several times! Within a half hour I had a confirmation email the credit had been applied to my account, and sure enough it was there when I checked. I was lucky! My potato salad is just potatoes, eggs, and onion with Miracle Whip and mustard, pretty simple. Bob’s mom put celery and sometimes green olives in her’s. Do you have Arby’s where you live? They make a seasonal chicken salad sandwich with nuts and grapes. It is good.

Bob’s singing group is going out to eat tonight, tomorrow and Thursday are soccer games, and Wednesday is my morning to work in the gift shop. I need to get busy! Hope you all enjoy a nice day!
Old 05-22-2018, 02:27 PM   #29  

Good afternoon. Just got a text from Jack. So far the car charges are $570. That’s just to do a recharge and shoot dye through to check for a leak somewhere! Who knows what the end amount will be. They didn’t even say whether it will be fixed today or not. They’ve had it since 3:15 yesterday afternoon.

I got a ham steak out of the freezer and we are having mac n cheese I think. I don’t know whether dinner will get interrupted or what with the car business. I wanted something fast.

Kelly sent me a link so I could order Thomas’s graduation pictures. Still can’t believe he’s a graduate. Where do the years go? I see the little burger roller skating at his house or all dressed up on one of their cruises. Now he’s well over 6 ft, shaves, and drives. Life goes on.

Jean: I already talked to the Zales credit card people and she said they just have to wait for the refund people. Hopefully it won’t be much longer. I went out and sprayed my weeds. I noticed they’re shriveling already. I may have to do a second spray to get them all gone. I accidently sprayed a toad that blended in with the dirt. He merrily went hopping away. I have never had problems returning stuff through Amazon. Like to use canned potatoes because they stay firm. I put in boiled eggs, miracle whip, mustard and a bit of sugar. I also make german potato salad, yum. Enjoy all the kids games. We have Arbys, but ours here in Memphis don’t have the chicken salad, bummer!

Have a good afternoon.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #30  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining and it’s a beautiful day in my neighborhood! This was my morning to work in the gift shop and it was was a busy place with people coming to the coffee shop then browsing the gift shop. I sold a few things so the morning went by quickly. One of the gals in my card club was volunteering in the coffee shop so it was nice to catch up with her. Maddy had her last soccer game yesterday and they won, 2-1. Zowie has a game tomorrow. A guy is coming on Friday to look at the bathtub. I am hoping to just have it repaired and not have to replace it. I am looking forward to the long weekend with not having to be anywhere or do anything on a schedule.

“Gma,” hope your car is fixed without any added expense. I thought maybe you had used a generic credit card so could stop payment. You would think with technology Zale’s could have issued the credit within a shorter time span. I haven’t seen the Arby’s ad for the chicken salad sandwich so maybe we won’t have it this summer either. Ian’s team lost their Monday game, 13-0. Jason said it was the worst game they have ever played and against a town where they always win in every sport match. A downer for the kids but the only way to go is up. It is not a school sponsored team but a VFW league.

I could put a load of clothes in the washer and I do need to vacuum so better keep moving. Enjoy the rest of a wonderful Wednesday!