Old 05-25-2018, 10:57 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias — #23

Good Evening! It’s warming to summer temperatures too fast; 90 yesterday, 93 today, and 94 tomorrow. With the humidity I finally turned the air on yesterday. The sun did shine brightly all day and again no wind. Nice! We met with the tub guy this morning and decided on a walk in shower vs a tub/shower. Evidently new houses being built have no tubs which surprised me. I know I would have missed the tub when the kids were little. The funny thing is the salesman lives in the same town where Jason lives and knew exactly which house he moved into. This afternoon I picked up the gift shop money, made that deposit, then Bob corralled Ernie and we headed to the vet. She thinks his lump is a cyst and to watch it to see if it changes size. He is eating, drinking, pooping, and peeing as usual but now I feel better. He also got his nails clipped, so 15 minutes and $50 later we were on our way home. I was hungry for macaroni/tuna salad so made one that ended up being way more than we will eat for a couple meals. I had used part of a box of macaroni for something else so just dumped the rest in the pan not thinking how much there would be. Dumb on my part!

“Gma,” did the dealership charge you extra for checking fluid levels, etc.? They just automatically do all that, at no charge, here whenever the car is in the shop. I was surprised to learn Zales and Kays are owned by another company, let alone no office in the U. S. We have both stores in our area. I hope your credit comes through soon; too bad you can’t charge them a hassle and late credit fee!

I have my salad prep dishes to wash and load the rest in the dishwasher from supper. I hate to have dirty dishes sitting in the sink or on the counter. Hope you enjoy the long weekend. It will take me most of next week to remember what day it is!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:28 AM   #2  

Good morning. I am sitting in a hotel room in IL as we decided yesterday afternoon to go to Chicago and see a Cubs game since they are in town. They don’t have a parking lot or lots so hopefully not any of the close by lots are full. We’ll work it out I guess. We’ll drive on into Chicago later this morning. I hope we can check in a bit early as the hotel is right in downtown Chicago. If not, I’ll let them know we’ll be late checking in as the game is at 6. We have to go to the park 3 hrs early to find a parking spot!

I haven’t had much sleep as my colon decided it would act up but I’ll take some meds and hope it settles down. I’ll snooze in the car going to Chicago.

Jean: Jack won’t eat tuna but you can send your extra my way!! Your temps sound like us but we are getting a lot of rain this weekend in Memphis. I would love to have a stand alone shower in our master bath and I imagine sooner or later with our age we will have to do it. Hope yours turns out like you like. Hope Ernie’s “bump” stays the same.

Everyone have a good weekend. We will head back home tomorrow.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:59 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon! Another hot day today, 95 degrees as I’m typing. The air conditioner is merrily humming away, thank goodness. I had to pick up prescriptions this morning so stopped by the grocery store. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t especially busy for a holiday weekend. I’ve done a load of laundry so that has pretty much been my day, not too exciting. As far as I know we won’t see the kids this weekend.

“Gma,” I hope the Cubs win! How long does it take you to drive to Chicago? A long ride, I’m sure. Our local team starts their games next weekend; we only made it to one game last summer so hope to do better this summer. Bob’s uncle played on this team many, many years ago, and they just revived it last year. I think all of the players are college kids but I’m not sure about that. I was shocked that we ended up putting “new” in the bathroom but I guess vinyl is not meant to last when it is not solid to the studs, or something like that. It “gives” a little every time you step in, cast iron is supposed to be longer lasting/better. We were hoping to just cover what we have with new vinyl but that wasn’t an option.

Bob just finished mowing and is heading to the shower. On his way he mentioned “food?” Guess that’s my clue to put something on the table. Tuna salad for sure! Hope you have enjoyed a nice day.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:06 PM   #4  

Good Morning! It’s going to be another hot one today, 93 right now heading up to 98 so says the weatherman. The crazy weather continues! Bob just left to get insect spray for around the outside of the house and yard. Walking through the grass creates a bug storm! I have laundry going in both the washer and dryer. I always think of my grandma when I do laundry on Sunday; she believed Sunday was church, working the Sunday newspaper crossword, and a day of “rest” to get ready for the coming week. The refrigerator is still warm this morning and the freezer is still freezing . I’m going to put everything in a cooler and clean the freezer as well as the refrigerator. Bob will stop at the appliance store first thing Tuesday and hopefully a repairman can come the same day. I am thankful for the basement fridge!

May you enjoy a nice day and keep cool!
Old 05-27-2018, 08:54 PM   #5  

Good evening! We are back home, ate some supper and watching the Cubs screw up! Brother!

I told Jack we’ll clean everything up tomorrow. My legs are swollen from being down in the car for a long time. They’ll be back to normal in the morning, but for now my ankle looks like a baseball.

We had a nice time, but boy downtown Chicago is nuts, nuts, nuts. There are hundreds of people walking all over the place, cars, buses, taxis, you name it on the streets. Took us 45 minutes to go about 5 miles because the traffic is crazy. One of the worse things is they make their own lane even if none exist and you move or crash. The neighborhood streets are narrow many are one way because they park on both sides of the street and there’s only a narrow row to go down. Last night we were going back to the hotel around 10 and there was a huge SUV parked perpendicular to curb on this one way street. The parking place was too tight so he just pulled in nose first to the curb and left it there.

We stayed at Homewood Suites and it was really nice. I had to book a premium room because that’s all they had. You’re supposed to get drinks and snacks free and the room had nothing. I complained and she gave me the room for half price! It was a one bedroom with a living room and kitchen. The bathroom was huge!

Jean: Chicago is 8 hours from our house. We stayed overnight in Effingham on Friday because the Chicago hotel wouldn’t let me book for Friday night. The darn bed in Effingham was so high I felt like I needed a ladder. I literally was about a foot off the ground when I set on the bed. It was comfortable, but with my bad knee I have to get on the bed behind first and it was tough. We pretty much went to Sunday service, came home and ate lunch then relaxed until evening church. Nowadays everyone is flighty all over the place. God made a day of rest we don’t take. Hope the bath stuff goes ok.

Have a good evening.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:21 AM   #6  

Good Morning! I am sitting here trying to decide which project I need to do first: a load of towels to washer, dust, vacuum, or make a “to do” list for the rest of the week. To start my list is counting at church tomorrow, church birthday cards, my car needs an oil change and tires rotated, I need a pedicure and nails done, maybe a soccer game Tuesday, will have to fit in the refrigerator repairman visit hopefully sometime tomorrow, and a craft club road trip on Thursday. I was put on a committee to help co-host an evening meeting for local P.E.O. Chapters in June which means a meeting to decide on table decorations and food of some sort. In other years it has been wine and appetizers but our chairman isn’t a drinker so nixed the wine which was ok with me. Think we are going with desserts, coffee, and lemonade. She is creative where I am not!

“Gma,” you had a fast trip to Chicago! We drove through Chicago back in the 70s when we lived in Ohio and would go to my parents’ cabin in MN. We thought the traffic was bad then so can’t imagine what it must like now. I can understand why some people choose not to own cars and take the public transportation. All of the beds we looked at, when we bought “our’s” for Jason’s house were higher than the one we have at home. We need a new bed here but want to wait until rooms are painted and new carpet installed. At the rate I’m going, not any time soon.

If I don’t get going I won’t get anything done! Hope you all enjoy the day and remember to thank a Veteran!
Old 05-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #7  
Short & Sassy

Hi ladies! Long time "no see." Hope all's well in your corner of the world. Things have heated up here weather-wise and I hate it! Up to 90 yesterday, which I guess isn't too bad but the humidity is a killer! Didn't do much yesterday other than go to our local parade and grill out later. Pretty quiet day.

GMA: I thought of you & Jack a week or so ago when the Cubs were in Cincinnati! You had a quick trip to Chicago for sure. I was there once back in the early 80's. Traffic was a nightmare then! Did Thomas graduate yet?

Jean: You've having the same sweltering weather we are! Sounds like you have a busy week ahead.

Physical therapy is winding down. I have about 6 visits left that Medicare will cover. Knee's doing pretty good. Feels really tight when I get up in the morning. I'm going to miss those ladies at PT. They have a great team there.

Well, I've got laundry to do & some dusting. You have a great day!
Midget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:56 AM   #8  

Good morning! I haven’t peeked outside, but we are supposed to get more rain today. I was going to go get my nails and toes done but don’t want to go out in sandals if it is raining. On top of that, Jack came home madder than a wet hen last night soaked in sweat. We picked the suv up last Wednesday, he drove it Thur, Fri, and yesterday and the AC quit. So, he is taking it back to the dealership this afternoon and crawling up the backside of the service manager about fixing it. My mks needs an oil change and he called yesterday and now they won’t take appts for oil changes anymore. So he has to be over there Saturday by 6:30 so he can be first in line. He is not a happy guy. Why can places just do there darn jobs?

I have to call Zales again as it’s been 7 weeks since I rreturned that bracelet and still no refund. I am fed up with this. It’s the bad thing about ordering online is only talking on the phone to someone.

Sandy: Glad you’re coming along so well. I have always loved Chicago. Growing up in Indiana I have been there many times. I have to say as large a town as it is, when you are downtown you can walk to anything, shopping, food, etc. I wanted to take a picture outside out hotel window and forgot. There were two skyscrapers across the street that had the coolest old architecture.

Jean: You, woman are a whirlwind. I don’t know how you keep up the pace and keep everything straight. Going into Chicago we passed a lot of “El” platforms and there were a lot of people using the train system. Even a couple guys with bikes. I have to say, we left the ballpark around 9:30 PM and walked back to the parking lot and felt perfectly safe. It was a fast trip, but enjoyable.

Have a good one.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:30 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon! It poured rain this morning but the sun came out around noon. It has been a couple of crazy days here. The repairman came yesterday to check the refrigerator. The freezer had worked overtime all weekend; he thawed the ice in the back panel and tested different parts. It had fried at least one of three possible parts. Since it was 15 years old we opted for a new one and went shopping. The one we chose we thought would fit the hole but alas, not to be. So we are waiting to have the top cupboard shortened where we bought it 23 years ago and the contractor to come and trim the edge of the side counter and pantry/cupboard trim. All of the dishes above the refrigerator are now on the kitchen table until I can round up boxes to put them in. What a production this has turned out to be! After shopping for refrigerators yesterday, we headed to Zowie’s game and drove most of the way in rain. It wasn’t raining there so kept on going. It clouded over and poured buckets just as the game was to start. Since there was no lightning, they went ahead with the game. Bob had parked facing the field so I stayed in the car but most of the parents stood on the sideline under umbrellas. Half way through the sun came out so I joined the rest. It was her last game and they won, 7-1, first game they won so ended on a good note! Today I went for a much needed pedicure and nail fill. The refrigerator was delivered and it’s sitting in what used to be our dining room. Nothing fits in this one like my old one even though it is wider and taller. It has two doors which I don’t know if I will like or not. The freezer is on the bottom, like my old one, and I do like that! I need to dream up something for supper; I pitched most of what was in the freezer just because some had started to thaw and I didn’t want to take a chance.

Sandy, I’m glad your knee is doing so well! Bob will say that his doesn’t hurt but doesn’t work like it used to on his first few steps. We both like to get out of the car and walk a bit after a couple hours of riding.

“Gma,” how maddening to think the car is fixed and it’s not. My car goes in at 8:00 Friday morning for routine maintenance; this dealership doesn’t take walk-ins unless you want to leave the car overnight. Good luck with Zales! I sometimes feel overwhelmed when I look at the calendar. Bob has joined a tractor club so he can get their ride calendar. He has a meeting next Tuesday and he mentioned it at lunch. I told him to write it on “my” calendar on the counter because I probably wouldn’t remember.

Supper isn’t fixing itself and I need to keep moving. Enjoy a nice evening!
Old 05-31-2018, 07:56 AM   #10  

Good morning all. Going to be another scorcher today. I am staying in as Jack has the car until they fix the Mariner. He was nicer than I would have been I’m afraid. I called Zales again yesterday and blew my stack twice. Of course it does no good. Now I’m getting the excuse the vendor has to release it. It would be nice if you could understand the customer service people. The first lady was so unintelligible I hung up and called again. So, next week I’ll call again and on and on until I get my refund back. From then on, I’ll only return it to the store and get an immediate refund.

Lots of chores to get done today, housecleaning, laundry, daily ones, etc.

Jean: We had the same problem getting a fridge that would fit in the space. We have a bulkhead so it can only be so tall and than a wall on one side and the countertop and cabinets on the other. Jack goofed with the first one and we had to send it back and order one online. I really like our current one except I can’t reach upper shelves to clean them so Jack has to help. Our freezer seems much bigger than our old one for sure. You have a lot going on in your house again. Jack has painfull knees most of the time now. He usually just ignores it but sometimes it gets to be too much and he takes Aleve, which helps. I don’t know how you have time to do all the things you do. It sounds exhausting. Oh, when we went to Wrigley, we were sitting in a bar area having a soda and talking to this couple next to us. I asked them if they lived in Chicago and they said no they live in Cedar Rapids. I told her I have a friend that lives in Storm Lake and she said something like, “That’s nice.” You just aren’t a thriving metropolis I guess.

Everyone have a nice day. Off to start my work.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:16 PM   #11  

Good Morning! The sun is shining and it’s going to be another hot one this afternoon. Our crafty club went on an “adventure” trip yesterday. We met at nine and seven of us headed out. Enroute to our first place we stopped by a small country cemetery where one of the gals picked up flowers from family grave sites. Next we visited a small town gift shop which includes some Scandinavian candy, cookies, and gift items. On Tuesdays and Thursdays they serve coffee, iced tea, and cookie samples. Of course we had to sample! Our next stop was another small town where we visited a shop where the man makes kaleidoscopes. He did a demonstration along with videos on a large screen tv. He sells “grandma kits” to make your own kaleidoscope, and said it is his best seller! He sold several to our group but I passed. I may decide to order online. The more expensive items were encased in wood and ideal for a coffee table conversation piece. We ate lunch and then visited several more shops in this bustling little town. It is named Pocahontas and there is a huge statue of her plus a log cabin with lots of history newspaper clippings and antique items donated by local families. We were back home around five; I was tired last night!

“Gma,” I am seriously thinking about calling the appliance store and asking if I can switch refrigerators! Where mine sits, I work from one side and the door opening on that side is in my way. To get the refrigerator I really wanted the single door would hit the island, which we found out from the contractor isn’t attached to the floor and could be slid down so the door would have enough room. Cedar Rapids is in the opposite corner of the state from Storm Lake. I am surprised the lady hadn’t heard all about our diversity fame though. We are number one in the state for being first in educational adjustments, medical, and “free” everything. We aren’t that large but we’ll known for diversity plus.

We have severe thunderstorms with possible hail predicted for tonight. Crops are looking good so hope the hail doesn’t happen. Tomorrow I have a baby shower for my stepsister’s daughter. Bob is going along and hang out with the guys. My “mom” will be there so will be nice to see her outside of the care facility. Hoe you all enjoy a nice day today!
Old 06-01-2018, 01:48 PM   #12  

Good afternoon! It’s dreary and rainy and icky out today. I finished up my work and am sitting watching “Flea Market Flip.” Some of these people do great things and others yuck.

Jack called a couple hours ago and the leak is in the compressor so it has to be replaced. It’s another $400. So gracious they’re not charging us labor nor the recharge. How nice considering you charged us the first time and didn’t fix it!!! I’ve gotten so I hate repair places. We’ll pick it up in the morning.

I ordered a basket to fit on the back of my scooter. It is quite large so we’ll be able to put things like grocery bags or carryons during a cruise so Jack won’t have to carry them. My friend is really jazzed about going on a cruise with us. Funny as she is terrified of the water, though. I hope I can make her a bit more comfortable with it. We still have about 21 months though.

This weekend is a few chores around the house to get done and groceries besides picking up the car.

Everyone has a great weekend.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:01 PM   #13  

Good afternoon. Just finished watching the Cubs game and I am deciding what I’ll make for dinner later. Maybe sloppy joes and mac n cheese.

We went grocery shopping yesterday morning and they weren’t too busy. We only had to wait in line a couple minutes. It was so very hot though putting the scooter back on the lift and loading the groceries into the car. We got everything taken care of at home then just vegged for the rest of the evening.

I had a bunch of small chores to get done today and that was about it. We got some pictures rehung, I resprayed the weeds, we moved a couple things around I wanted moved and that was pretty much it. It’s pretty hot today so we stayed in.

Hopefully you all had nice weather for the weekend.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:39 PM   #14  

Good Evening! We just got home from a combined birthday party for Kolby and Zowie at Zowie’s house. The sun was out all day but it was very windy and much cooler at 73. I think we are “off” road trips until next weekend. Ian has a game north of Sioux Falls tomorrow night but two trips up there in two days is too much.

“Gma,” people around here tend to have repairs done at local “mom ‘n pop” shops rather than go to dealerships simply because they are hundreds of dollars cheaper. My stepsister’s air conditioner quit in her car. They traded for a foreign car in a larger city so took it there. Their price was $890+ in case they had any problems. They took it to a local shop, $400, but they couldn’t get it in for three days. It was a “no brainer” for them. She said she did her errands first thing in the morning when it was cooler. Wherever you go you are at their mercy if you can’t fix it yourself. It sounds like you and Jack had a busy weekend! The appliance store owner was gone for the weekend when Bob went to talk to him Friday so he is going back first thing in the morning. If he isn’t willing to work with us Bob is thinking of donating it to Habitat for Humanity and buying from another local store. I suggested just putting up with it even though whatever I want is behind the opposit door I open.

I have a P.E.O. meeting tomorrow so need to decide what I’m going to wear then iron it. Hope you all enjoy a marvelous Monday tomorrow!
Old 06-04-2018, 06:58 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon! It’s been a beautiful day for weather, cool enough to open windows, sunshine all day, and just a slight breeze blowing. Since spring seems to have skipped us, I would call it a nice spring day! Hot weather is to return tomorrow. Counting went pretty fast this morning and we balanced on the first try. I dropped a check off at the hospital and was home before 10 which is unusual. I had a P.E.O. meeting this afternoon and the program was all about Blue Bunny ice cream. The original plant is in a small town about an hour from us, and we often stop for cones in the summer. Of course, our treat today was a choice of different four different ice cream flavors and three different cones or a dish. Bob talked to the refrigerator guy and we are picking out a different one tomorrow. He is at a board meeting now so no supper to fix for him. I’m thinking a bowl of popcorn for me.

I need to clear off the counter and unload the dishwasher. Hope you have had a good day and enjoy a nice evening.