Old 05-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #16  

Good morning to you all. It is warm and we are having river flooding in places, but hopefully that will stop and it will go back down. So far, it hasn't impacted the plant where Jack has to do those 12 hours on 12 hours off thing like he did a few years ago. Still no jury duty for him. My smilies are finally back to working I see.

I should and I say should because who knows with the USPS deal, get a box of food I ordered from a friend. It was one of those food party things. I bought some boxes of multigrain bread mix and a couple jars of rhubarb strawberry preserves. I should also get another couple shirts in today. Unfortunately, the skorts didn't fit like they should so back they go and the shirts were matching those skorts. I just went and ordered a jean short in a khaki since it is an orange shirt coming and an olive skort that is knit and bought a shirt for it. The other shirt is white so it will go with anything of course. I haven't heard back from the dry cleaners about my dress alteration so will give it until Monday and then call. She probably forgot as she is over 80 yrs old.

Nothing much going on this weekend. I need to do some housework, but might just leave it until Monday when Jack is back at work. I have my colonoscopy consult a week from today, but that's all that is on the agenda for the near future. Well, I have to go and get my nails and toes done next week. I am hoping my new nail polish gets here before than, but I doubt it.

Jean: No, we have subs too, but since we changed post offices, I don't know who is who. I told Jack I have done everything I can to fix this problem. I have gone in there and read them the riot act, did it on the phone over and over, contacted national several times with emails about postal deliveries and even sent a letter to the postmaster. Their jobs are pretty guaranteed so they could care less whether you get your mail or not. Jack said the only time they fire people is if they get caught throwing out instead of delivering mail. I did get everything I was supposed to yesterday. He did stuff everything in our letter box instead of bringing the shorts up to the house. Jack said it was barely in there. We shall see about today. We are have bbq from across the street tonight. I always sit and put Jack's appts in my Ipad when he makes them so I am sure I know. We aren't busy like you two though so we don't have conflicting things and such. He has an eye apt next weekend and I hope she can find him a good contact to wear that won't bother him. He wants to go back to them, but the bifocal ones bothered his eyes like sand. He said he will just get regular ones and hope she can get him ones for sensitive eyes.

You all have a good weekend. Hope your weather is nice.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #17  

Happy Friday! It's been another beautiful day but we are losing our sunshine. Rain isn't in the forecast so wonder if we will get some anyhow. I got a haircut this morning, have done some laundry, finished vacuuming behind and under furniture, and made a trip to the grocery store. I went after food but came home with flowers! I've never had a begonia plant so hope I can keep it alive. Also bought a variegated geranium for the deck. Bob is off to pick up bean seeds and help move equipment from one farm to another. I'm not sure when I will see him again. He's been busy sorting and pitching stuff from the cabin shed and delivering the rest of the furniture to the supervised living adults. He mentioned he would like to make one more trip to the cabin "just because;" 72 years of memories for him and 52 for me.

"Gma," I hope you get your food that you ordered. I am taking my neighbor's mail in for her and she had a box from a cookie company by her door. I can hardly wait to ask her about her cookies. I found a cute cat sweater on a FB ad but the sizes are in cm (?) so I'm not even going to try and figure that out! I don't mind ordering things but hate it when they don't fit. I've donated things just so I don't have to send them back. I think I could figure out a better route plan for USPS! If I mail something to the small town 5 miles west of here, it travels 2 1/2 hours south to Des Moines to be stamped, then back north 5/6 hours to Sioux Falls to be sorted, then 2+ hours back south to be delivered. If I'm lucky they will get it in four days, maybe. If Bob mails it there in the first place, it goes to SF and back in two or three days. Stupid imo! If I have something for the kids, SF family will get it the next day and SC family the second day. Sioux City mail is shipped to Sioux Falls to be processed. Does Jack wear soft lenses? I tried them but had a hard time getting them in and out, plus they were not strong enough. So I went back to hard lenses.

Not much going on for this weekend that I know of. Ian has his first baseball game Sunday night but we've been invited to sub in a card club. Hope you enjoy a nice weekend!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:27 PM   #18  

Good Afternoon! It's another beautiful day in my neighborhood! The sliding doors are open so the birds and squirrels are keeping Ernie entertained. I am in the process of making a new salad, to me anyway, Amish Pasta Salad. I've done three loads of laundry, changed the sheets on our bed, planted the rest of my flower pots, and now taking a break. Bob is off moving the bean seed wagon to yet another farm place 30 miles away so will be gone for awhile. Bob grilled for lunch and the dishwasher just finished doing its job.

I have towels to fold and the dishwasher to unload so best get back to work. When I look at what my machines have done today, I marvel at what our mothers and grandmothers accomplished without them! I hope you enjoy a nice Mother's Day Sunday tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:37 AM   #19  

Good morning to you all. Jack took me on a surprise trip to Nashville over the weekend and I never got in here. I hope you all had a nice holiday yesterday.

As I said on FB, I put a big note on the door when we left Friday asking them to put packages on the patio table under the umbrella because it was pouring rain when we left. We came home to find wet boxes on the deck and one of them was the bread mixes. I don't know if they got ruined or not. They weren't wet when I took them out yesterday, but don't know if they had dried or what. Guess I will find out when I make them. I really hate the postal system.

We didn't do a whole lot over the weekend. We just relaxed and went to the Opry Mills outlet mall on Saturday for awhile. I got some metal mixing bowls and 3 of those mesh splatter lids for fry pans and that was it. I saw a Michael Kors bag I really liked but it was $500 and on sail it would still have been around $300 so I said, I really didn't need it. The sales people were all over you though. My leg was bothering me a lot and Jack's back so we left and just went back to the hotel. Jack went to Jersey Mike's and got a couple subs for dinner and we watched the Cubs play dismally again and that was it. We came home yesterday morning. It was nice to get away for a couple days though.

Jean: I have an app on my Ipad that converts metric stuff because I run into that all the time. The problem is, foreign stuff even converted usually doesn't match up to American sizes. I ordered a pair of shoes and they ended up at least a size and a half too small. They weren't expensive and they came from China so I didn't bother sending them back. I would never ordered them if I knew they were shipping from China. You can't always find out where these stupid companies are. Unless it is something I am desperate for, if the name or something sets off alarm bells, I don't buy if I can't find a physical address. These shoes said the company was California, but they came from China and took a month to get here. Did you have a nice Mother's Day with the kids? Has to be hard for you guys not to have the cabin now. I imagine there are a huge amount of memories attached to it.

You gals have a great week. I will talk to you later.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:35 AM   #20  

Good morning to you all. It is going to be hot, hot, hot here today, near 90. I have to go out in a couple hours to the store and pick up a couple things as I want to make baked beans for dinner and I have no pork n beans. We also need milk and a couple other things.

I am so mad at the Vans company. I ordered a pair of slip on vans custom back in April. They were for Jack and had Cubs logos all over the canvas. They left the factory on May 8th and no one seems to know where they are. I have contacted them three times, the last time this morning because we still don't have them. The last time I got a response, she credited back $10 and a $20 gift card, but I am not likely to buy anything else from them if this is how it goes. The darn things cost me $100 and were a surprise for him but that's out the window now.

I need to check and see if my dress is done. She has never called me so I guess I will have to go over there when I go to the grocery store and see if it is done and she just forgot to call. I bet she did.

I have to call my best friend today and wish her a happy birthday. I have no clue when I am going to get that blanket and pillow done. Right now, my hands hurt too much to knit for very long. The thing is, it is close to being done, but when your hands hurt, they hurt.

Hope everyone has a good Tuesday!
Old 05-16-2017, 05:25 PM   #21  

Good Afternoon! The sun has been in and out today, a couple rain showers, warm, and quite humid. We went to the lake this morning for one last walk through the cabin and to bring home some dock bumpers Bob gave to a neighbor, a couple lamps, and the drawer full of sharp knives that everyone opened and closed but no one cleaned out. Stopped at their very nice WM store looking for an oriole feeder (no luck) then Penneys where I found a robe and also top with sparkly sailboats in red, white, and blue for the 4th of July. We went in for socks for Bob!

"Gma," I thought I had posted yesterday but obviously I did not. A surprise trip sounds like fun! Hope the bread mix is in a plastic bag so only the box got wet. So aggravating either way! Are there different guys playing for the Cubs that weren't there last year? It's hard to watch them lose. Are you still supposed to be getting the shoes for Jack or did you/they cancel the order? You are wise to not order from them again if shipping is such a problem. Hope your hands are feeling better if you take some time off from knitting.

I couldn't get my bank statement to balance yesterday so need to go back and find my mistake; it's always mine, never the banks. Hope you enjoy the rest of a terrific Tuesday!

Last edited by Jean; 05-16-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:07 PM   #22  

Good Afternoon! It's been another crazy weather kind of day in my neighborhood. We've had sunshine, clouds, a little rain, and wind; it's 72 degrees but sure doesn't feel like it. We got an inch of rain in a short time last night while there were 80 mph winds around the area. We were lucky that we didn't have any damage. I ran some errands this morning and did some sorting/pitching in the garage this afternoon.

My checkbook is off 20 cents from the bank statement and I haven't been able to find it. I'm going to check it again, makes me nutty! Hope you enjoy a nice evening!
Old 05-18-2017, 07:32 AM   #23  

Good morning to you all. I thought I had posted yesterday, but obviously no!

I went out yesterday and got my nails and toes done and boy has it been windy here. It was hot almost 90 and back sweating the minute you step out of your car.

I got Jack's shoes the same day I emailed them again and griped. No tracking every came up they just appeared here not long after I got home. I had changed into crummy clothes so the FedEx guy got me looking crappy but I am sure he has seen worse. He insisted I come to the door and get the package so thought I had to sign but no, he just handed it to me! Shoes fit fine.

I tried on a couple of tops to decide what I wanted to wear to the nail salon and both of them shrunk even though I never dried them! Unlike other places, they won't take them back if they have been washed so I am stuck with them. I really like the one and would like to replace it with a bigger size, but am afraid it will shrink and not be wearable. I have two skorts and a shirt coming and should be here Saturday, but I did find out over the weekend, wearing the skorts with the scooter is tricky. They want to ride up so have to see whether I want to keep them or not. I need to go through and pair up the outfits again now that the shirts won't fit to see if I need to replace anything.

Tomorrow is my consult. I will be glad to get that over with. The procedure has to be in June or later because of Jack being on jury duty. I dread the "clean out" worse than anything because it is difficult for me to get to the bathroom quickly with my knee. I may just have to sit on towels or something.

Jean: The Cubs have almost the exact same team except for the guy who was the lead off batter who went to the Cardinals and the closer pitcher who went back to the Yankees. They just have started out bad but hopefully they are kicking into gear. They won Tues and Wed games. My personal checkbook is always off $10-30 because I round everything up when I put it in my check register. I don't worry about being exact as long as there is that overage, which there always is. I do balance it everyday though so the overage is always the same. I guess that means it balances.

Everyone have a great Thursday.

Last edited by gma22; 05-18-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:21 PM   #24  

Good Evening! It has turned cold again, 49 degrees this evening and heading down to lower 40s. We had a meeting at church tonight and the air conditioner was on full blast. We went to Maddy's last soccer game where it was cold and windy then came straight home in time for the meeting. I just turned the furnace up because I am cold! I am so sick of this crazy weather!

"Gma," so glad Jack's shoes were delivered and fit! What do you have to do at your consult appointment? Good luck! Why is it when you want something to shrink, it doesn't and vice versa? I have money "hidden" in the checkbook that doesn't show in the visible balance so I know there is no chance of an overdraft. It really irritates me when it doesn't balance though, as I periodically check it with the calculator.

Will wish you a fantastic Friday tomorrow, and a nice weekend; it will be a busy weekend for us with birthdays, graduation, and a retirement party. Beth and kids will be here until Sunday afternoon, Jason and family will be here long enough to regroup and move on to Amanda's family.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:21 AM   #25  

Good morning! I'm being lazy this morning and using the Ipad because my bad knee is bothering me so I have it up in the recliner. It's cloudy and going to be stormy today ⛈with a high of 87! Humidity is going to be fun. I have that doctor appointment today so guess I'll either get wet by sweat or rain!

I got carried away and ordered 5 tops with capris to match yesterday. I hope the tops are cool material. It can still be blistering in the Caribbean in Sept. Of course, I doubt we get off the ship this year. I have two skorts and a top that should come today. One of the skorts is knit so maybe it won't hike up as much.

We are going to a triple A Cubs game here in Memphis Memorial Day weekend then Jack bought tickets to see the double A team play in Jackson (about 90 minutes drive from here,) the 10th of June. Guess we'll be seeing a lot of future talent. 😄

Jean: From what I understand, because I am obese the doctor needs to talk to me. I imagine it has to do with the anesthesia but considering I have been put under at least 11 with general, and then the stuff they used to do my eye surgery and all of it with no problems, it likely won't be an issue. My nervousness is with my surgeries on my colon and all that. I will discuss it all with him I guess. At this point, I just want to get it done and over with. I hope you don't freeze this weekend. I noticed my brother's son got engaged and he and his twin sister graduated from college but we never got anything about it. It just popped up on FB. They want to cut us out, so be it. Considering what they did with us and their dad I could care less.

You all have a nice weekend. It is shopping weekend for us and I hope to get my dirty car washed.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:28 PM   #26  

Good Afternoon! It's another cold, windy, rainy day in my neighborhood, 44 degrees when I came downstairs this morning. I turned the furnace up and it's been running off and on since. The grass is growing so fast but it's been too wet to mow. I've been just putzing the day away. I should go to the grocery store but have been putting it off because of the rain and the fact it is Friday. It is graduation weekend here so will be super busy in spite of the weather.

"Gma," I hope you enjoy the ball games and your teams win! Pretty soon you are going to have more cruise clothes than days to wear everything! If I don't end up wearing my lunch down the front of me I try not to have to change clothes. Your niece and nephew will have to live with the way they treated their dad. Maybe someday they will figure it all out and be sorry. We are invited to a 50th wedding anniversary next weekend but doubt that we will go. I have a card to send and will write a note. The guy is a brother to Amanda's dad and we have been with them socially when we first got to know Amanda's family. The aunt hosted a bridal shower for Amanda way back when. Now the brothers, and wives, who live a few blocks apart in a small town, aren't speaking or even acknowledging that each other exist; it's over who got which tractor and farm management after their dad died. Stupid! Hope your doctor appointment went ok and you are set to go ahead.

I have a casserole dish to wash and some clothes to iron for tomorrow and Sunday. I might be dreaming but I think the sky looks a little brighter. Hope you enjoy a nice evening and weekend!

Last edited by Jean; 05-19-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:26 AM   #27  

Good morning to you all. Who knows what we are going to get for weather today except it is going to be warm.

Brother, what a waste of time yesterday was. I got soaking wet going into the doctor's office as I got out of the car and got halfway there and the sky opened up then I realized I didn't have me paperwork so had to go back and get wet again. I slipped in the doctor's office because my shoe bottoms and my cane bottom were wet and they had slippery tile on the floor. Sat a half an hour to go back, then about 10 minutes in the exam room. He asked me about 3 questions, explained the "clean out" was an extensive and very important part and said, see you then and left. Now, why could he not have just looked at all the paperwork that had all my surgeries and such on it and mailed me all the stuff with instructions and all that. I came home and the rain had stopped, got out of the garage and it did it again so I was soaked all over again! My blood sugar was down so I was grumpy about all that and the phone rang about 5 minutes after getting home and it was them again saying they needed to schedule an appointment for me to talk to the anesthesiologist. I was wet, low sugar, and grumpy and told the woman why did I have to do this again as I have had over 8 surgeries and never had an issue with anesthesia. She said she would have them look it over and have them call me. I know it wasn't her fault and shouldn't have barked at her, but geez.

We had dinner and came home and my whole left leg ached so bad, I ended up taking a pain pill. I was in tears it hurt so badly and Jack could do nothing to help me. It finally quit aching about 2 hours after I took the pill.

Today is WM day so we will be heading out in a couple hours because I don't want Jack to have to put together my scooter if it is going to be raining again and you have to get there early to get an electric cart and there is definitely no walking for me today.

My skorts fit, but the shirt with one was a size bigger than I normally wear and still too snug and after the fiasco with the other two shirts, I sent it and the matching skort back. I kept the khaki jean skort as I have a shirt to wear with it. If the clothes that I now have on order all fit, I am done with clothes shopping.

Jean: I saw on a FB post to me last night a guy I went to high school with died day before yesterday. He only lived a half a block from me. From what I understand a couple weeks ago he had a major stroke that left him paralyzed from the neck down and that didn't give him much chance to live. They set up a go fund me account to pay for in home care as they refused to have him go into a rehab center. I wouldn't contribute because they were being foolish. They only asked for about $3000 and I told her it would cost them thousands to keep him at home with all the equipment and round the clock nursing. I was honest and said that he needed to be in rehab where they knew how to push him to get better and be there in case there was some trauma incident, etc. I imagine it peeved her off, but it's the truth and even a couple nurses from our school told her the same thing. I will help someone out, but not if it is foolish money down the drain. He didn't have insurance either if I remember right. My niece is expecting, but I refuse to make anything unless maybe a blanket for her. They never put them in what I make them so why bother. I guess nowadays the mothers don't like homemade stuff as much as they used to. I know I am not going to all that trouble for nothing. Her baby is due in November so I have some time.

Well gals, I need to put away dishes and get some laundry started. Have a nice day today and nice weekend.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #28  

Good morning, ladies! Finally cooled off today - only in the 70s and 80s this week.

My life has been pretty boring. I go to the Y, come home and ice my knee, do a little housework and then quilt or read. I did go to Kohl's Friday. They have t-shirts with square necks and elbow length sleeves that I really like that were on sale for $11.99 and I had a 20% off coupon and $10 in Kohl's cash so a very good bargain.

Donna, I just went through my pre-surgery lab work and EKG at the hospital, phone call to get all my info on current drugs, reaction to anesthesia, previous surgeries, allergies, etc., and picked up the antiobiotic scrub I have to use for 3 days before my surgery day. I really hate that scrub - it dries my skin out so bad. I think rehab is the best place to go after knee or hip surgery or a stroke, etc. because they do push you and you get a lot more therapy each day than you get having it at home. I called Northampton Convalescent Care to let Robin know I was getting my second surgery. We joked when I left that I wanted to same room again (closest to PT and farthest from nurses' station) and when I called she said she'd made a note and would be sure to get me that room even if they had to move someone. They liked me because I didn't make demands or complain all the time. I did what I could for myself and was polite. My rehab was $17,000+ for 3 weeks. Fortunately I didn't have to pay anything for that or the hospital ($52,000+). Is there nothing they can do for your knees?

Jean, I know you and your family will miss the cabin. I hope you have a great weekend with your family and activities.

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #29  

Good Afternoon! We've had a busy weekend and I'm tired! We spent most of yesterday in the car and on the road. Beth and the kids came here and we stopped for a quick visit with my "mom" on our way to the 100th birthday party. Bob got to meet a cousin he didn't know he had; she doesn't live too far from us. Not sure what the story is but her dad lived in Minneapolis, and his wife was not the cousin's mother. Also got to visit with Florida cousins that we hadn't seen in years. Jason, Amanda, and Zowie met us there as they had a graduation reception to attend afterwards. We headed back home to attend a retirement party while Beth and kids went to the waterpark resort. Some kid pooped in the pool so they were delayed getting in which didn't sit well. Bob sang at early service today, then Beth and kids came for lunch spending most of the afternoon here. The sun has finally come out and the grass dried up enough to mow. It was 38 degrees here this morning . . . . COLD!!!!!

"Gma," hope your leg feels lots better today! I have a raincoat that I wear even if rain is predicted and it isn't raining when I leave the house. Being plastic, or whatever, it is warm too. I don't blame you for thinking your appointment was a waste of time. I suppose it's because of insurance coverage maybe? Like I've said before, people who don't knit, crochet, sew, quilt, etc., often don't appreciate the time and effort involved in making something. Sad!

Susan, the shirts sound like a good deal! I get the Kohl's coupons in the mail but it's usually when I'm not going to be anywhere near a store. Beth has good luck there. I am confused! Have you had your second knee done or were you talking about the first surgery? I had no idea a new knee would cost that much, but worth every penny! Actually, since it's been almost a two year process, both of us are relieved to be out from under the cabin expenses. It's in need of some major repairs and updating which we couldn't afford and Bob's brothers weren't interested in contributing to help. Bob is in hopes they will tear it down, but maybe not this summer, who knows. Now we need to decide what to do with two boats!

The dishwasher is done so need to unload it and get my act ready for next week. Enjoy a nice evening and have a marvelous Monday tomorrow!
Old 05-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #30  

Morning is almost gone for today ladies. I did laundry and swept and mopped the floors. I need to unload and reload the dishwasher and vacuum the rugs downstairs then I am done for the day. I will finish up the downstairs tomorrow then tackle the upstairs the rest of the week.

I don't know if there is a new guy running the commissary or if he finally hired a bunch of new people, but checkout was a breeze with the cashiers at their stations waiting. It may be the gal running the front end cashiers though. She seems like she is working not sitting in her office because I see her out and about in the store a lot.

We only have plans for Sunday evening to go to the tripe A baseball game downtown. Nothing else but housecleaning for the rest of the weekend.

Jack and I stayed up too late all weekend so we are kind of dragging this morning. I can nap a bit but poor Jack has to try and stay alert. It is our faults. I was reading and Jack was playing with the baseball game he bought a couple months ago.

Susan: Sounds like you are all ready for the other knee. I know you will be glad when it is done. The orthopedists and my gp won't ok me for any surgery on my knee until my weight is at a normal level and they get to determine that. I just have to put up with it until then. I like the square necked tops with the elbow length sleeves too. I have a couple of them but haven't bought more because they tend to be heavier material and I get way too hot.

Jean: Boy you had a busy weekend. I am surprised the pool opened up again. I know when that happened years ago here at the condo they closed it for a couple weeks. Who owns the land now where the cabin sits? Is it still in the family? I am sure you are glad you are done with all of it now. Jack and I were discussing our major clean up upstairs after the cruise and it is going to be a job and a half. I have too many shoes, handbags and clothes and Jack has a lot of clothes too. There just isn't the room and our closets are dinky here. I may have to resort to separating summer from winter and storing the opposite at the storage unit on a rack in bags and then switching them out. We shall see how it goes.

Everyone have a good start to the week.